Strategic Framework and Enabling Strategies: Discussion Thread 3: Professional and Leadership Development
Professional and Leadership Development
- Professional and Leadership Development
Recognizing that the professional and leadership development of librarians and library workers is essential to high-quality professional practice and the future of libraries and information services, ALA seeks to:
- Provide professional development opportunities through multiple venues.
- Maintain strong accreditation standards and processes for library and information science programs.
- Foster certification programs through the ALA/APA.
- Coordinate the multiple opportunities available throughout ALA to provide a coherent, transparent, and accessible continuing education framework for all members.
- Increase the diversity of library professionals and sustain their professional growth through multiple strategies.
- Provide leadership development opportunities and create new pathways for member leadership in the association.
- Align leadership development and continuing education with best thinking about the changing information environment and ALA’s Center for the Future of Libraries.