Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
Bonnie Parks's picture

Minutes from 8/16/13 conference call

ALCTS Metadata Standards Committee Conference Call 8/16/2013

MINUTES

Present: Amy Rudersdorf, Bonnie Parks (notes), Denise Bennett, Erik Mitchell, Éva Balcovac, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Jenn Riley, Jon Solomon, Kevin Clair

Guest: Phil Schreur

  1. PCC punctuation report, with guest Phil Schreur

Follow up from Midwinter on PCC-ISBD punctuation report.

  • Background: The original idea was to be able to include enough subfielding in MARC format so ISBD punctuation could be stripped out; however, it was recently announced that we are transitioning away from MARC21 to BIBFRAME. Beacher Wiggins suggested at PoCo that the ALCTS Metadata Standards Committee would be a good funnel to provide information to the BIBFRAME developers.
  • The punctuation report is very much in sync with BIBFRAME with respect to removing ISBD punctuation. After discussion, the committee endorsed the removal of ISBD punctuation from bibliographic records. Phil agreed to investigate whether it is possible to add an addendum to the report with the committee’s conclusions.
  • Jenn pointed out that ending punctuation is “low hanging fruit” that we can stop doing right away. The group discussed whether it might make sense to cease using ending punctuation immediately.  Amy pointed out that ending punctuation causes problems when cross-walking.  If we make this statement, it might have more impact in the metadata creation world.

 

Action: Jenn, Amy and Éva will work with Phil on statement with PCC responding to the report. Getting rid of punctuation -- removing trailing punctuation right away; the rest as we move to BIBFRAME.

 

  1. Session proposals for Midwinter and Annual 2014

Schema.org for Annual.

Process:

There should be a form on the ALA website (ALCTS or LITA), and it goes to the committee and they review it. Submit to both ALCTS (Amy) and LITA (Éva) for a joint proposal. If the proposal cannot be sponsored in person, we may consider an electronic presentation (Webinar).

 

Options:

  • Consider a discussion at Midwinter rather than a Business meeting (conduct business via conference calls). Use our time for our business meeting for discussion instead.  Agreed.
  • Consider virtual ALA

 

Details:

  • Get word out via email lists in early January.
  • Ask for room space for 100.
  • Prevent a time conflict. Jenn suggested that we figure out what groups we do not want to conflict with and propose a time to  ALCTS.  (MARC Advisory – Sat at 10:30, ALCTS All Committee- Sat at 8:30). We want a time on Saturday or Sunday with minimal conflicts.
  • The group agreed to ask for Saturday 1-2:30.

Action: Jenn will contact Charles Wilt (ALCTS) and Melissa Prentiss (LITA) to work on time change.

  1. Getting started on some kind of visualization/relationship explanation output
  • Goal: advancing understanding of non-MARC metadata with librarians involved in resource description metadata becoming more involved.
  • Since we’re doing a program at annual, maybe we should have something deliverable coming out of the program?  Using schema.org might be something fairly easy to do.
  • Use the program as a way to get people excited about the topic – as a starting point.

How to raise knowledge and awareness:

  • Programs, documents, examples. Consider our role to facilitate rather than to maintain it.
  • Dh+lib (http://acrl.ala.org/dh/) that may be used as a model.  Let’s harness other people’s time and energy.
  • LC’s digital preservation blog is good - ‘The Signal’  (http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/) offers different perspectives. Might be a good model