ALCTS / LITA Metadata Standards Committee Meeting Minutes
January 17 Meeting Minutes
Attendees: Eva Balcovac, Jenn Riley, Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Erik Mitchell, Bonnie Parks, Amy Rudersdorf, Jon Solomon
1. NISO CCM liaison
- Eva will remain formal liaison; need to find a replacement. Either way, the liaison must be a formal member of the NISO committee.
- She is going to work on establishing a formal relationship before her position times out on this committee after ALA 2014.
2. Following up with PCC about changing practices for MARC punctuation
- PCC Statement response felt language was too strong.
- Committee agrees that the language should be strong, but discussed slight changes to the statement. Willing to change slightly. Will go back to PCC and express our interest in a strong statement; unanimous decision from committee
3. Getting started on a community information sharing program
- Blogging / guest curators / Digital Humanities
- Create a blog similar to http://acrl.ala.org/dh/ (1600 twitter followers) where the "community" curates it. Committee members would not be responsible for curating it.
- Primary location for any committee outputs
- Midwinter: will continue conversation about what sorts of topics the blog would include, how it would be structured, etc.
4. Getting started on documentation demonstrating library and industry metadata relationships
- Leave this for Midwinter discussion
5. Agenda and logistics for in person meeting at midwinter
- Sunday, January 27, 1-2:30pm
- Need to formally approve minutes from this meeting and a few preceding
- Will send out an email to draft notes; won't bring paper copies
- ALA presenter suggestions (topic schema.org)
- Jason Ronallo: would be interested in presenting at ALA, but is working on securing funding from his institution.
- Silvia Southwick: Declined.
- Dan Scott: Eva will talk to him.
- Mark Matienzo: No.
- Tom Johnson (OSU): Bonnie.
- Chris Beer (Stanford) - also Greg Mercer (Graduate School of Business)
- Richard Wallis (OCLC)
- Kevin volunteered to take notes at Midwinter.
- Agenda for Midwinter
- Approve minutes
- PCC statement
- Annual presentation planning
- Blog discussion
- Other communication outlets needed?
- Issues arising out of Bibframe Forum