Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
David Vess's picture

2013-12 GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda & Notes

NB: This document holds the meeting notes and agenda.

Meeting Notes

Present: Hansen (Chair), Vess (Past Chair), Symons (Chair-elect), Abrams, Romans, Johnston (All Directors-at-large), Hepburn (round table councilor), Ward (News Cmte Chair), Amundsen (Staff Liaison), Johnson (Secretary).

            Meeting called to order at 10:01 A.M. central time. No introductions of new people as there were none. The proposed agenda was approved.

            The first item of business was the GLBT Review/Newsletter committee. Ward and Symons talked about what was working and what was not. There are basically two activities going on, the newsletter and the book reviews. The two need to be separated. The blog for the reviews needs to be a digital one, not a pdf one. Romans raised the question of whether or not the reviews would continue to be part of the newsletter. Symons said there will always be a link in the newsletter to the reviews blog. Ward feels that if the reviews are in a separate blog they will be more extensive. Members could go right to the reviews blog or get there through the link in the newsletter. Possibly there might be one review in the newsletter. It was pointed out that blogs for the RT need to have the same format as the blogs from other parts of ALA.

            A motion was made to combine all three of the proposed motions on this issue into one motion. It was done, the motion was moved, seconded and passed. Symons expressed great thanks to Ward for all of the work Ward has done on this issue.

            Next on the agenda was the issue of dormant committees. Right now the Bylaws Committee has no members. Symons feels the committee needs to continue and that it needs to have members appointed to it. The position of the past chair and the responsibilities that go with that position needs to be clarified. Should the Bylaws Committee be a subcommittee of the board? Vess felt there would be a conflict of interest. Discussion followed. It was moved, seconded and passed that a Bylaws Committee be established as a committee of the Executive Board. The name needs to be changed to reflect the fact that it is a committee of the board and is separate from the main Bylaws Committee. Hepburn and Johnston felt there should be one non-board member on the committee. Hansen and Symons will work on the membership of this committee.

            The External Relations Committee currently has no members. It does have a charge. Vess felt it was OK to disband this committee, but Symons felt it was important to keep it. Symons will try and find members; the role of the committee will be discussed at the upcoming ALA Midwinter Meeting.

            The Fundraising Committee currently has two members. Romans pointed out that the ALA Development Office is currently working with the RT on this issue. Symons asked what the fundraising needs are beyond the Stonewall awards. Draft charges for this committee were voted on at annual. Symons pointed out that if we make a push to get new members, there will be an increase in revenue.

            There was a discussion of who can run for offices in the RT. A new email will be sent to the membership on this issue. There will also be a notice about this on GLBTRT News, the round table news site, the first week of Jan.

            The meeting was adjourned at 11:05 A.M. central time. 

Agenda

Friday, 13 December, 10-11 CST
Location: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/glbtrt
Online Meetings Tip sheet for GLBTRT: http://connect.ala.org/node/205148

1. Call to Order (Roland)

2. Introductions (Roland)

3. Approval of Agenda (Discussion, Vote) (Roland)

4. GLBTRT Reviews Committee & GLBTRT Newsletter Committee (Ann)

See linked document for information about the following three motions.

Action: Motion to delete the words “reviews of books and other media" from the Newsletter Committee charge.

Action: Motion to establish the GLBTRT Reviews Committee at the end of the 2014 Annual Conference.

Action: Motion to change the name of the Newsletter Committee to the News Committee and make all appropriate changes to the website and GLBTRT documents.

Owner: Ann Symons
Vote: Yes
Supporting Information: Background information on motions.  [Word Document, 3 Pages]

5. Dormant Committees (Ann)

Action: Discuss role of these committees, their role, vision, and functionality.
Owner: Ann Symons

Vote: No

Supporting Information: In the midst of making GLBTRT Committee appointments for 2014-2016, it has come to my attention that two committees are dormant and one seems to have only two members but no committee charge and the committee is not functioning.

It is my intention not to make appointments to the above committees until the Board has had a discussion about the role of these committees, their role, vision, and functionality.  

Read the charges and committee compositions:

Bylaws Committee
http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/committees/glb-bylaw

External Relations
http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/committees/glb-er

Fundraising Committee
http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/committees/glb-fund

6. Announcements (Roland)

7. Adjournment (Roland)