Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
Melody Townley's picture

Future Agenda Items List

What is this?

Below are future board meeting agenda items.

How do you get an item on the board agenda?

Board members should share agenda item ideas on the board email list.  Note in your message subject that you are proposing an agenda item.  Non-board members should use the board contact form to share meeting agenda items to the board:  http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/contact/board 

The secretary will work with item-bringers, the chair, chair-elect and past-chair to craft agenda items.

Meetings will be cancelled if there are no agenda items to share out at least 10 days before a meeting.

Agenda items should be shared with the board about 15 days before the meeting.

Reports shouldn't be read in meetings.  Links to reports should be shared out on the agenda 10 days before the meeting so all will have time to read them.  Reports can also be shared out on the board email list or the board contact form at anytime.

Each agenda item should include the following:

    • Action: state the desired outcome of the item (what do you want the board to do with your item?)
      • discussion OR listen to a report/update
    • Item Facilitator: Who will take responsibility for this item during the meeting and attend to work that must be done outside of the meeting?
    • Vote: Will voting be required?
    • Time: Estimate amount of time needed on agenda
    • Supporting Information: Supply related documents or links to them.

 

Agenda Items List

Table of contents:

  1. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins)
  2. Committee Member and Chair Guidelines (20 mins)
  3. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins)
  4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins)
  5. Potential Survey of GLBT Membership

 

1. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 meeting]

Action: Motion to adopt a charge for the GLBTRT Fundraising Committee

Item Facilitator: Bylaws Committee and Larry Romans

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: The draft charge for this committee was not adopted at the board meeting during 2013 Annual Conference because it didn't mention planned giving.

    • The charge language posed at that meeting is located here: http://connect.ala.org/node/208502

    • The meeting minutes for 2013 are located here:
      http://connect.ala.org/node/208501
    • New proposed draft charge: “Identifies and solicits funds from sources, other than member dues, to increase the long term investment fund for the Stonewall Book Awards and to fund other initiatives as set forth by the GLBTRT Board. Develops and implements a fundraising plan to encourage more GLBTRT members and others to donate.  Develops a list of potential individual, corporate, and foundation donors. Plans and implements planned giving, sponsorships, projects, and other fund raisers, Coordinates with the GLBTRT Treasurer and the ALA Development Office.”

 

2. Committee Member and Chair Guidelines (30 mins) [David V will rework this item and share with the board for a future meeting.]

Original Request from Board Contact Form
http://connect.ala.org/files/2014-GLBTRT-Cmte-Meetings-Guideline-Request.docx [WORD doc]

Action: Discuss adoption of general guidelines for committee chairs and members that cover things like participation expectations as well as dismissal procedures.

Action: Discuss accommodating committee members who cannot attend scheduled committee meetings at MW or Annual Conferences.  Former chair of Rainbow Committee, Christie suggested this language for what would be allowable: "in case of extreme emergency* (such as family illness or stranded by weather, members on those committees who have acted in good faith all year be able to attend virtually at ALA Midwinter."

Item Facilitator: David Vess [or anyone who wants to volunteer]

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information for Posed General Guidelines:  

Hi all, I've already covered this in the procedure manual I had to craft while I was chair (just to keep myself straight).  In fact, I had to work with Amanda Clay using the dismissal procedure to remove someone from Stonewall.  It went smoothly.  I also used it several other times while I was chair but I can't recall the details. In each instance things went smoothly.

I just touched this up a but to incorporate some things said in this email thread. dsv

LINK to posed General Cmte Guidelines:
https://sites.google.com/site/glbtrt/cmteprocedures

Supporting information for Accomidating Committee Members who cannot attend scheduled meetings:

    • As you meeting scheduler (a job the past-chair does) you should know that we cannot guarantee that every OTR, Rainbow or Stonewall meeting will have wireless access.  We can request wireless or even wired access but no guarantees can be made as to if the service will be provided.  dsv
    • I share the following since I did a lot of work to assure we had 'legal' GLBTRT Board meetings on line:  As long as the meeting is in real-time (not in email or discussion forums), there is no ALA policy that says a committees cannot use such tools as Skype to add others into a meeting who couldn't attend because of an emergency.  Committee members will already know about the meeting far in advance since it's help at MW or Annual.   dsv
    • More about online meetings is here: http://connect.ala.org/comment/35139#comment-35139

 

3. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 meeting]

Action: Motion to adopt the below meeting document as board procedure.

During June 13 board meeting, the board: 1. Wasn't sure if all the language was needed.  2. Brainstormed about where these procedures would be placed.  The GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document was one suggestion.  Board decided this was an item for the Aug 2014 Conference Call.

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting InformationDRAFT GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Document [Word Document, 2 Pages]

 

4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 Meeting]

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

    • Examples: Look at any of the ALA division sites. They have their own header and color palette.
    • Costs:
      • Design of up to 6 feature slides for website: $400-500
      • Design of custom header for website and color scheme $400-500
      • List of potential slides to be developed: Book Awards; Elections; Committee Volunteering; Professional Resources Page; News site; Reviews site; OTR site; Rainbow Site;
      • If there is a concern with costs, I think it’s worth it to have professionally developed feature slides done first. We could live without a new website heading and color changes.

5. Potential Survey of GLBTRT Membership (10 mins) [Moved to September 2014 meeting]

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Karen Schneider

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information

 

6. Treasurer's Report (5 minutes) [September 2014]

4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 Meeting]

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

- See more at: http://connect.ala.org/node/214246#sthash.aya6YUN4.dpuf

4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 Meeting]

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

- See more at: http://connect.ala.org/node/214246#sthash.aya6YUN4.dpuf

 

Action: Update

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: Dale will review the 10 month budget for GLBTRT.

 

X. Evaluation of the Structure of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee (15 mins) [Scheduled for 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting]
 

Action: Motion to adopt the subcommittee structure of the Stonewall Book Award Committee.

 

Item Facilitator: Round Table Chair

 

Vote: Yes

 

Supporting Information: At the 2014 Midwinter Meeting, the GLBTRT Board voted to split the Stonewall Book Award Committee into two subcommittees.  The board committed to revisiting this issue at the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting.  This issue is item 9 on the minutes from that meeting: http://connect.ala.org/node/217048

 
The motion language committing the board to this: The motion language was: Motion to split the existing sbac into 2 subcommittees, one for literature and non-fiction and one for Children and YA, with the notion in 2 years, we (the board) revisit this issue and decide if we want separate committees (i.e. literature and non-fiction).