Volunteer Now: Get Involved with ALCTS
Dear ALCTS Member,
It’s time to begin thinking about ALCTS committees and volunteering! The appointment process will start in a few weeks. I will be working with each Section’s appointing officer to make committee assignments in the spring. Take some time now to explore the website, especially the “Member Groups & Communities” area.
Being appointed to a committee is a time-honored way to serve ALCTS, get to know your colleagues, and launch a volunteer career in ALCTS. On the ALCTS site, you will find a wealth of information about our committees and sections, including areas of focus and current rosters. You are certain to find a group that reflects your interests. To be appointed, you must complete the volunteer form on the ALCTS website. Click the “Volunteer” tab at the top of the homepage to get started.
Here are a few tips for success:
1. Fill out the volunteer form completely and submit it. You would be surprised how many forms we receive with just a name, contact information, and little else. There is space for you to tell us about yourself. Please use it. Bear in mind that the appointing officer may not know you.
2. Write a brief note to the appointing officer to express your interest. Ask about current openings and where you might be of service.
3. Don’t turn down an appointment for a committee you did not request. Sometimes, there are committees for which there are few volunteers. The appointing officer may be asking you to accept one of those positions. Joining a less popular group can be a great way to hit the ground running, so to speak, and move quickly into a leadership role. You’ll gain experience and exposure that will be an asset should you seek other appointments in the future.
4. If you are new, haven’t had an appointment in many years, want to jump to a new section, or want to move to a division committee, think seriously about accepting an Intern position. Interning is a great way to get appointed as a regular committee member during the next cycle.
5. Go to the committee meetings, and introduce yourself to the chair. Then, mention that you met him or her on your volunteer form. This approach has been successful for many ALCTS volunteers.
And don’t forget our Interest Groups. Each IG has openings for a chair, co-chair, vice-chair and other positions. Let the current chair know you are interested in helping out.
Thank you for being an ALCTS member. It’s the wonderful volunteers that make ALCTS such a successful and vibrant organization.