AFL-CIO/ALA Joint Committee Meeting Minutes, 2013 Annual Meeting in Chicago
AFL-CIO/ALA Joint Committee on Library Service to Labor Groups Meeting Minutes
Date: Saturday, June 29, 2013
Time & Place: 10:30 – 11:30 am, Hilton Chicago Room 4H, Chicago, Ill.
Jennifer Dorning (DPE, AFL-CIO) and Caroline Fuchs (ALA RUSA)
Jennifer Dorning (JD), Caroline Fuchs (CF), Jannie Cobb (JC), Justin A. Crossfox (JC), Alique Geraci (AG), Julius Jefferson (JJ), Janet O’Keefe (JO), Jessica Storrs (JS).
- Approval of midwinter minutes
Program at Annual 2014
- JD mentioned that the session will again be one-hour in length and noted that at midwinter the committee discussed doing a program on Right to Work.
- Discussion ensued about the workability of this topic. The consensus was to try to create a two person panel on right-to-work.
- Since we will be meeting in Las Vegas, JC suggested James P. Kraft , author of "Vegas at Odds: Labor Conflict in a Leisure Economy, 1960-1985," for the program. Las Vegas provides a unique example of a vibrant labor movement located in a right-to-work state.
- A second speaker would discuss right-to-work and the focus would be on resources that ALA attendees could bring home for their patrons. Ideas for a speaker are needed.
- CF will contact the author and publisher
- JD will rework a summary of the program
Labor Tour 2013
- JD noted that the Larry Spivack, president of the Illinois Labor Society led the tour of the Haymarket Memorial in Chicago the day before our meeting.
- Approximately 15 people attended. Suggested donations for tour were $15-25.
- JD commended the committee for filling so many time slots for the booth
- Materials this year include: a poster for the John Sessions award, a display with the “union difference” for library workers, Library Workers Facts & Figures 2013 (DPE, AFL-CIO), “Friend of Labor” ribbons from DPE, AFL-CIO, “Don’t be a sucker for Privatization” tootsie pops from AFSCME, QR code displays for getting to the committee’s Facebook and RUSA webpage, and 331.99 buttons from AFSCME.
- JD provided talking points for booth staffers.
John Sessions award update
- JC announced that the winner this year is the Labor Archives of Washington, University of Washington Libraries Special Collections. The collection opened in 2010.
- The committee plans to ask RUSA for $1000 award to encourage libraries to apply
- Looking ahead to the 2015 Annual meeting in San Francisco (home of the San Francisco State University Labor Archives & Research Center) the committee would like to consider planning a program around the John Sessions Award/award winner.
- The award recognizes a library or library system which has made a significant effort to work with the labor community and by doing so has brought recognition to the history and contribution of the labor movement to the development of the United States
- It was noted that our web presence is lacking
- AG volunteered to add content to the Facebook Page
- CF asked that committee members send content for our wiki page
- JO volunteered to add content to both the Facebook and Twitter accounts
- JS noted we have 57 followers on Twitter
- CF noted that RUSA committee appointments have been delayed. The official list of members is in limbo.
- The committee currently has a union slot open due to Nick Yovnello’s (AFT) term ending. As a post-script, we later learned that he was tragically killed in a car accident in New Jersey in July 2012.
- Next ALA Midwinter meeting will be in Philadelphia, January 24-28, 2014
Minutes taken by Jessica Storrs.