LITA Web Coordinating Committee Report 2013 Annual
Apologies for the full postmortem approach to my reports. Just read the summary to get the jist of what's been happening since January. I'm supplying all of this (too much I think) to help with continuity and convey our progress on long-term strategic plan projects. david
The web committee is still chipping away at projects mapped from the LITA Strategic Plan. These projects are worthy of the committee's time and should continue. All five projects are complete except for two: Project 5 and Project 1.
The project 1 team is still evaluating content in the LITA wiki. They've made great progress in identifying classes of content. Also from the project 1 goal area, another sub-project is complete. Pathways to all interest group and public LITA email lists (16 total) were created on all sympa landing pages. Each sympa page includes custom interest group descriptions and self-service instructions.
Project 5 involves improving the LITA events webpages. This involves integrating functionality from the ALA Scheduler into the ALA website. The team sent plan to ITTS in March and is awaiting a response. The proposed page template and functionality has the potential to be an events page template for all ALA organization websites. The team may have to produce use case models to better articulate goals for ITTS.
Along with these projects, other things have cropped up. The website was updated to improve access to committees and interest groups and the board. The Get Involved page was reworked to be informative and as simple as possible. The lita blog was purged of malicious code over the spring and brought back up with all content and media files saved (they were all lost at one point). During the spring we also launched the new Top Technology Trends sub-site. We also had sliding panel graphics for the LITA home page made for TTT and interest groups.
Get Involved, Email List & Policy Pages
The new Get Involved page went live in March. It's a list of actions the user can take to engage with LITA. Beneath the Get Involved page we have the new email list page as well as the email list policy -- crafted to apply to all LITA email lists. (Vess)
Drop down menus were added to the site to highlight and provide speedy access to committees, interest groups and the Get Involved page. (Vess)
LITA Board Contact Form
The board contact form went live a few months ago. This form will distribute to the LITA board email list. It's linked off the Contact page and the board's own page under the Resources heading. The form will send in submissions with the subject heading
- Removed spam (Blake Carver and david vess)
- The wonderful Blake Carver (at our hosting service) finally removed all the spam from the blog.
- We lost all media files in the fray but we restored them all
- Repaired the database that powers the media files stats (Vess)
- Removed many dormant accounts (Vess)
- We need to send Blake a present of some kind -- I'll pay for half of it! (david v)
Top Technology Trends Website Soft Launch
Bohyun Kim and Vess worked to launch the new TTT subsite this spring. Only the current TTT event is noted on the site at this time. The site will host TTT content going forward with a blog like post metaphor. Older content should perhaps be migrated to the site from the LITA Blog. The media should be preserved somewhere, hosted elsewhere and embedded on the new TTT site. A sliding panel was also developed for the TTT site to display on the LITA home page. The text on that slide can be changed to make it relevant year-round.
Sliding Panel Graphics
Developed one and borrowed another:
Strategic Projects Status
Addressing Communication Channels - wiki migration to Connect, Connect promotion, email lists, social networking
WCC Volunteers: Lead: Andy; Megan; Jodie; Sai;
- Activities from January to June 2013 - Project 1
- In Process:
- Wiki Migration and cleanup (Andy, Sai, Jodie and Megan)
- Been contacting content owners
- Some still reviewing their wiki content, others have finished and have moved it or didn't want it.
- Refer to spreadsheet for progress on communications with LITA groups who own content in the wiki.
- Project 1, June 2013 Status Report and Evaluation of LITA Wiki Content. [Project 1 Group Report, June 2013 (download PDF to see comments in document] Wiki content is tagged in this document for:
- Content should be reviewed for possible relocation
- Content has no significant value
- Content is being reviewed by owner.
- Components of Project 1 Complete:
- ALA Staff manages social networking accounts (david vess)
- Email List Promotion (david vess)
- New Email List Page
- LITA Email List Policy Changed to work for all lists
- Each email list sympa home page configured to have promotional and explanatory text with goal of self-service. These pages used to be blank.
- Sent template code for LITA-L to LITA staff. They have to make the updates to that page.
- Code templates for LITA-L (text file) and Interest Group Sympa pages (text file) are attached to the Strategic Plan Project Plan List.
WCC Volunteers: Lead: Holly; Members: Kathryn; Bohyun;
- Activities from January to June 2013
- Establish the future of the blog
- Per communications with board liaison in March 2013, the LITA Publications Committee will see to the future of the blog's content. WCC will continue to see to the general care of the site.
- Update site theme and branded it in LITA colors, etc. (david vess)
Status: Completed November 2011
Web Site Migration
Status: Complete - WCC voted to table project
LITA as Sandbox (Experiment—become a hive for innovation. Provide an environment to experiment with new technologies.)
- WCC voted to table/drop this item from the list during WCC meeting at 2012 Annual considering lack of resources, complexity of goals, and other services available online. Board liaison Pressley was in favor of this.
- Original Plan (on this page)
Status: Ongoing - Waiting for response from ALA's ITTS sent in March 2013.
LITA Events web page planning
WCC Volunteers: Patrick and Jessica
- Activities from January to June 2013
- Jessica and Patrick shared proposal (see Oct. 2012 update link above) with Jenny Levine in ALA's ITTS in March. No word back yet on integration ideas.
Future Committee Work
- Project 1 Work -- See above
- Project 5 Work -- See above
- Ask ITTS to turn on the blog like post functionality on the TTT site. It isn't clear that this is available but verify this with ITTS Sherry in ITTS.
- Address content on LITA blog since it will be a publications home in the future. The content on the site will have to be evaluated and either migrated, saved or deleted.
- The Top Tech Trends content on the blog can be moved to the new TTT site. The media also needs to be preserved as well as hosted elsewhere and embedded on the TTT site.
- The LITA Contact page could use some work. There's other contact pages around the association that are quite good. Could use those as a starting point.
- Send Blake Carver of lishosts presents and thank you cards all the time.
- Look into making larger, block graphics for the right side bar on the home page.
Lauren, you’ve been a great board representative to WCC in spite of your impossible schedule.
Andromeda, you’ve tirelessly pushed us to get our acts together and strive for the best answer -- not the easiest answer to a problem.
Web Committee Team, you all have been great considering I've been so checked out while I've been: in the second year of my new job, chair of the GLBT Round Table 10-15 hours per week, and a poor member of an ACRL-ULS committee.
2013 Annual Conference Meeting Notes LITA Web Coordinating Committee
A full report of WCC activities and a recap of projects related to the LITA strategic plan, view this
Project 1 Action Items
• Group will send copies of all wiki content from groups you’ve not heard from.
• Group will contact remaining leaders of committees and interest groups and give them about a
• Group will send one reminder
• DV will get WCC docs out ASAP [Done, 9-2013 and sent to Melissa to add to Connect space]
• Melissa will verify that the pre-2001 committee reports were migrated into Connect spaces
• ITAL Board wants usage stats from old ITAL site (Andy Boze)
• Talk of new navpods emerged from this meeting but no actions items formed. If the committee
is interested in developing new nav pods, talk with Melissa.
• Top Tech Trends Website: http://www.ala.org/lita/ttt/
o Ask ITTS about missing sub site Training on the ALA Tech Support site (DV)
o Ask ITTS about turning on a post like interface for the TTT site. (DV)
o Reorder Nav bar on TTT site, place LITA on top (DV)
ß Note about this from my talking with ITTS staff at the ALA Web Cmte meeting
ß Much of the AV material on the LITA blog is from TTT group. That material the following day: This whole project should change directions. Each sub site we add to the ala.org, creates a burden on the system. It appears that we shouldn’t make the TTT site be a sub site the system. Rather, it should be a blog. ITTS runs a wordpress server. Needs to be migrated out into a TTT site (WP blog) if that’s the direction you go in.
- David S. Vess (Chair, December 7, 2011, to July 22, 2013)
- Megan Banasek (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Mr. Andy D. Boze (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Matthew M. Calsada (Member, July 1, 2011, to July 22, 2013)
- Mr. Patrick Confer (Member, July 1, 2011, to July 22, 2013)
- Sai Deng (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Mrs. Jodie Gambill (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Jessica Harris (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Ms. Rebekah Kati (Member, July 1, 2011, to July 22, 2013)
- Bohyun Kim (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Tara Lannen-Stanton (Member, July 1, 2011, to July 22, 2013)
- Ms. Kathryn Stine (Member, July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2014)
- Lauren Pressley (Board Liaison, July 1, 2011, to July 22, 2013)