Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Picture
David Vess's picture

GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Notes and Agenda (April 2013)

Monday, 29 April 2013, 10-11am central
Meeting Location: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/glbtrt/
Meeting Help: Tip Sheet [pdf]

Agenda Items

  • Action Item 1: Form Ad hoc Committee
    • Action: Form group to address issues around workload and timeline for the Stonewall Book Awards Committee.  Proposed charge is below.
    • Vote: approval by majority of board members
    • Owners: Peter Hepburn, Dale McNeil, and Larry Romans
    • Discussion Notes:

Present: Africa Hand, Carolyn Caywood, Lisa Johnston, Peter Hepburn, Rebecca Hunt, Shawn Vaillancourt, Roland Hansen, Anne Moore, Peter Coyl, Joel Nichols, David Vess, chair, Andrew Johnson, secretary.

The meeting commenced at 10AM CDT. Fully ten minutes was taken up with trying to get everyone online and the software working.

David began by stating that the first order of business was to talk about the charge that has been forwarded to the round table membership concerning an ad hoc committee on the organization of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee.

Peter Hepburn was invited to talk about the charge that he, Larry Romans and Dale McNeill had written. David stated that the membership of the committee would be selected by the round table chair. Carolyn Caywood suggested looking at electing some of the committee members as the Newbery Committee does. Anne Moore asked when those elections occurred; they occur at the same time as the regular ALA elections. It was pointed out that the current schedule of SBAC is out of sync with the publishers, due to the requirement that books be submitted by October. Since that date is early for many publishers, would getting galley proofs of the books be an option? Galley proofs are more expensive, so publishers don't like to do that. While getting a published copy of a book is desirable from a committee member's point of view, an advanced readers copy is perfectly acceptable.  David suggested that the discussion return more to the charge of the ad hoc committee.

Roland made a motion to accept the charge as written; Shawn seconded the motion. Discussion ensued. The issue of a date the report would be due was raised. The ad hoc committee would be no more than three to five members. Those people could select their own chair. A move to electing members of SBAC would be dependent upon what format the ad hoc committee proposed for the SBAC. Several people suggested that the ad hoc committee's report be submitted by Mid-winter 2014.

The amended charge to the committee now reads:

Resolved that the Chair appoint an Ad Hoc Committee to make recommendations about the organization and work of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee (SBAC) beginning with the 2015 cycle, including such issues as:

* Whether to maintain the current structure of the committee, develop subcommittees for each award, or have a separate committee for each award

* What kind of change has there been in workload given increased publishing and a third award.

* How a proposed change would affect demand and supply of committee volunteers

* Whether a change would affect the number of books publishers would need to supply to the committee(s)

* If membership on the SBAC committee(s) should require that a mix of expert and general volunteers be selected

* How to determine time of year each cycle should start and what the time period should be for when eligible books must have been published

 The committee shall be composed of both former SBAC committee members and non-members with a report due to the board by.....

The meeting closed with no vote being taken.

Committee Charge Draft

[Note that the below language is not the original language shared with membership and the board by email.  The charge draft group modified it.  I'm sharing the new version below.  The new version is much the same as the original, thus I felt it was ok to pose this charge to the board for a vote.  The changes are captured in the word document attached at the bottom of this page.]

Ad hoc Committee on the Organization of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee

Resolved that the Chair appoint an Ad Hoc Committee to make recommendations about the organization and work of the Stonewall Book Awards Committee (SBAC) beginning with the 2015 cycle, including such issues as:

  • Whether to maintain the current structure of the committee, develop subcommittees for each award, or have a separate committee for each award
     
  • How a proposed change would affect demand and supply of committee volunteers
  • If membership on the SBAC committee(s) should require that a mix of expert and general volunteers be appointed
  • How to determine time of year each cycle should start and what the time period should be for when eligible books must have been published
  • What kind of change has there been in workload given increased publishing and a third award.
  • Whether a change would affect the number of books publishers would need to supply to the committee(s)

 The committee shall be composed of both former SBAC committee members and non-members.