Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
David Vess's picture

2013 Midwinter GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

Meeting Minutes

These minutes were approved by the board at the 2013 Annual Conference: http://connect.ala.org/node/208501

Jan. 26, 2013
Fairmont Olympic Hotel, Seattle WA

Original Agenda is located at the bottom of this document.

Officer, committee and liaison reports were not given during the meeting but links to reports are provided at the bottom of this report.  More will be added as they are shared. dsv

Board Members Attending: David Vess, chair; Anne Moore, past-chair; Andrew Johnson, Secretary; Dale McNeil, treasurer; Peter Hepburn round table councilor; directors-at-large: Frank Cervone, Lewis Day, Joel Nichols; Larry Romans, and Shawn Vaillancourt.

Visitors and members Attending: M. Ciszek, B. Pickell, R. Ridinger, L, Johnston, A. Clay, S. Machones, R. Graziano, D. Isaak, A. De Campos-Salles, K. Hylton, N. Ritcher, A. Symons, N. Ward, C. C. Caywood, R. Bittner, P. Coyl, T. Goldwasser, A. Maycock.

The meeting was called to order at 8:30 A.M.  D. Vess welcomed all attendees. There were introductions around the room. The agenda for the meeting was approved; the minutes of the meeting in Anaheim in 2012 were corrected and approved.  A copy of the corrected minutes are located at: http://connect.ala.org/node/180756      

A. Symons reported on her recent experience in Lima, Peru as a consultant on 8 same-sex books in a conservative school library. All of the protests were rejected. She also talked about a conference session she is doing for an Oregon/Washington library conference on the subject of same-sex books for teens. She proposed it as a conference session or pre-conference, possibly for the Las Vegas conference in 2014.  Romans moved that we approve/sponsor Gay Teens in the 21st Century: Access for the Future, for a pre-conference session. The title was amended to be GLBT Teens in the 21st Century: Access for the Future. The motion was approved.

P. Hepburn, the GLBTRT Councilor, gave his report. He spent some time talking about the new dues proposal which would tie dues increases to the increase in the consumer price index. This issue may be on the Spring ballot. The Council has discussed this idea. There has been Council discussion on the issue of copyright issues around copying for persons with disabilities. Also another issue that has been discussed is divesting endowment funds from companies involved in fossil fuel production. A great deal of discussion ensued on the dues issue. An email has gone out to the membership asking for input by Monday, 28 January on this issue.  (See a link to the councilor’s report at the end of this document.)

The meeting proceeded to item # 9, a discussion of the committee charge project. The comment period has now closed. There is no report at this time.  Romans and Nichols will complete this project soon.

R. Ridinger next reported for the ad hoc committee was charged to evaluate the various resources left over from the days of the old clearinghouse and web site.  They were also asked to propose if the round table should continue maintaining such lists. The group proposed to the board that the round table should continue to maintain such resources.  Members from the ad hoc group volunteered to be on the proposed committee.  The group’s report is on the round table web site. The board will deliberate on next steps soon.  Romans spoke about the difficulty of getting volunteers to work on committees.  See the group’s report and other documents on the web site at: http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/committees/dissolved

Next M. Castro, ALA President-elect B. Stripling’s representative, spoke about the initiative that will be proposed for the coming year. The initiative, titled Libraries Change Lives, will concern three areas: literacy, community engagement and innovation. It will speak to how libraries are turning outward to support their communities. She wants the inclusion of all minorities and GLBT folk in literacy programs. B. Stripling wants conference programs on literacy for all these groups and is asking for input from the RT on this subject and also wants to be told about programs in this area that we are aware of.

Stephanie Zero, from Seattle’s Gay City LGBT Library, spoke next and invited everyone to come by the facility to see what the all-volunteer organization is doing. http://www.gaycity.org/library/

L. Williams, GLBTRT’s ALA Executive Board Liaison, spoke about registration for the Seattle conference was up over a year ago as was registration for the Chicago conference this summer. The Task Force on School Libraries is working to bring issues surrounding school libraries to the attention of all. She also spoke at length about the new dues proposal that Councilor Hepburn also discussed earlier with the group.  Linda wasn’t able to cover all her discussion items.  The full list is in the board’s ALA Connect space: http://connect.ala.org/node/198520

Michelle Harrell Washington was next introduced. She is about to take over as Director of ALA’s Office for Diversity and the Office of Literacy and Outreach Services (OLOS).  OLOS is GLBTRT’s liaison office in ALA.  For more information about Washington, see the press release.

M. Miller next spoke about the legislative agenda for our issues. There was considerable discussion around the need to align our issues with those of the national organization.  The board will make this issue the focus in an upcoming spring meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 A.M.

The meeting was followed by a discussion session led by Angela Maycock, Asst. Director of the Office of Intellectual Freedom, about banned books. She explained what a challenge is (it is a written request to have an item either removed from a collection or limit the access to it) and how to turn a challenge into an opportunity for dialog. A general discussion followed involving attendees and how they have handled such situations in their own libraries.  If you ever face a challenge, contact the office. Even if you don’t avail yourself of their services, they need to collect data about book challenges.

Committee Reports:

Officer and Other Reports:

Representative and Liaison Reports:

  • Representative to Budget Analysis and Review Committee (BARC):
    [None Submitted]
  • Representatives to Diversity Council, a subcommittee of the Committee on Diversity: http://connect.ala.org/node/201864
  • Representative to Freedom to Read Foundation (FTRF): http://connect.ala.org/node/201864
  • Representative to Legislation Assembly (ALA Committee on Legislation):
    [Forthcoming but Proposed Legislative Agenda is item two in the below meeting agenda.]
  • Representative to Office for Literacy and Outreach Services Advisory Committee [none to submit, no meeting]
  • Representative to Round Table Coordinating Assembly (RTCA): http://connect.ala.org/node/201864
  • Liaison to New Members Round Table (NMRT):
    http://connect.ala.org/node/201864
  • Liaison Planning and Budget Assembly (Treasurer Ex-officio): 
    [None Submitted]
  • Representative to Social Responsibilities Round Table [vacant]

Agenda

GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda
Saturday, January 26, 2013, 8:30–10:30am, Fairmont Hotel - Congress Room

Discussion Session: Current Issues for the GLBTRT: Censorship, Challenges, and Banned Books (10:30 to 11:30AM

1. Call to Order (David)

2. Introductions (David)

3. Approval of Agenda (Discussion, Vote) (Andrew)

4. Approval of GLBTRT Steering Committee Minutes, 2012 ALA Annual Conference: http://connect.ala.org/node/180756  (Discussion, Vote) (Andrew)

5. Proposal to update successful 2000 pre-conference, "Gay Teens in the 21st Century." Mention of conference program for chapters "Serving GLBT Communities:  Where Access, Equality and Intellectual Freedome Collide." (Report/Proposal, 5 minutes) (Ann Symons, GLBTRT member, ALA President, 1998-1999)

6. GLBTRT Councilor (Report, Discussion) (Peter Hepburn)

7. J. Linda Williams (9AM) – (Report, Discussion)

8. Committee Charge Project (Discussion, Vote) (Joel & Larry)

9. Maribel Castro, representative of ALA President-Elect Barbara Stripling's Presidential Initiative. (Report, 9:50am, 10 minutes)

10. OLOS Director (10AM) – (Visit, Welcome)

11. GLBTRT Legislative Agenda – Approve the agenda (in reports appendix below) as posed by Michael Miller and Barbara Pickell to membership email list. (Discussion, Vote) (Michael Miller and Barbara Pickell)

12. Announcements

13. Discussion Session: Current Issues for the GLBTRT: Censorship, Challenges, and Banned Books (10:30 to 11:30AM)

The GLBT Round Table will feature a discussion of book challenges, censorship and banned books as part of its ALA Midwinter Conference schedule. The event is scheduled for Saturday, January 26 from 10:30 to 11:30 at the The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, 411 University Street, Seattle, WA

The session will feature Angela Maycock, Assistant Director of the Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF), providing a brief overview of how to deal with a challenge and the work of the OIF in dealing with challenges and bans. There will be a chance for questions to both Ms. Maycock and librarians who have dealt with these situations in their libraries.

Agenda Appendix: Reports

1. Committee Report Links (more to be added as sent in)

2. GLBTRT Legislative Agenda

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael.Miller@qc.cuny.edu
Date: Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Subject: [glbtrt-l] ALA GLBTQ RT - Advocacy & Action
To: "glbtrt-l@ala.orgglbtrt-l@ala.org
Cc: "barbara.pickell@MyClearwater.com" , "Michael J. Miller"

Hello ALA GLBT RT'ers

We hope this call for discussion/response finds you well.  Please comment until Tuesday, Dec. 18th. After this period, we will present an updated bundle to the GLBTRT Board and hope to carry a "version 1" forward to the legislative assembly at Midwinter in Seattle.   We're excited to see how this evolves as the conversation goes forward.   Michael J. Miller & Barbara Pickell.

Upon David Vess's request, we have reviewed the Advocacy, Legislative Agenda and similar concerns of the parent organization as represented on the ALA web site. Alongside that we conducted a review of the ALA - GLBTRT web site and the past five years' worth of newsletters of the GLBTRT. We did this to discover the general issues and themes which "bubbled-up" based upon our collective activities and communications.

Since the GLBTRT wants to inform ALA of our unit's concerns as we all speak in the proverbial "One Voice," of ALA, we list "areas of concern" as opposed to our own legislative agenda action items.

We propose framing the GLBTRT Advocacy & Action Areas as follows:

Top level - a listing of broad, over-all areas of concern to the GLBTRT
Second level - "tags" as to which ALA advocacy issues those areas of concern most closely align
Third level - examples of successes for each area whereby action of this group and/or ALA has made a difference (We ask you to help fill in this area with examples you may recall that we do not.)

I. Inclusiveness of the GLBTQ Experience in Library Services

ALA TAGS: Diversity - Banned and Challenged Books

SUCCESSES: Name resource guides, ALA resolutions, other?

II. Quality and Accessibility Issues of GLBTQ Information Resources for All Age Groups

ALA TAGS: Access - First Amendment, Intellectual Freedom & Civil Liberties

SUCCESSES: List each of the Stonewall Book Awards, Rainbow Lists, resources guides, other?             

III. Representation of GLBTQ Persons and Issues in Librarianship and with Allied Organizations

ALA TAGS: Diversity - Professional Ethics

SUCCESSES: Rights issues we've tackled, TF-to-RT status, programs that support small press, pride parades during conference, other?

IV GLBTQ Equality and Rights Issues Across Social Sectors (e.g. Health, Mental Health, Marriage, Family, Citizenship, Education, etc.)

ALA TAGS: Diversity -

SUCCESSES: Various programs to list, other?