Homeless in the library
by Jeffrey Scherer on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:06 am
The ALA LLAMA BES Architecture for Public Libraries and Safety and Security Committees have been asked to develop a pre-conference for ALA Annual meeting in 2014. The topic will be: Homeless: The Library Response (working title.)
It will focus on the homeless and the role of the public and academic library in meeting the needs of the homeless. A big topic but one that resonates with everyone we have spoken to.
We are seeking:
1. Best practices
2. Examples of policies and how they were developed.
3. Partnership examples with other agencies, etc.
4. We want to develop a bibliography
5. Differences between academic and public library
7. Design responses to addressing the homeless.
8. The main themes of the pre-conference will be Social, Security, Spatial and Administrative
9. Persons interested in speaking or participating in the development of this important topic.
We are trying to pull all this together for a first draft program by June ALA. The program has received approval from Program Committee. If you have ideas or suggestions, you can email me directly at email@example.com. Or, people can also post ideas, comments, links, PDFs etc on this discussion thread. If you have any specific people, send me their contact information.
Jeffrey A Scherer, FAIA
CEO Meyer, Scherer & Rockcastle, Ltd. Architects and Interior Designers
Chair: ALA LLAMA BES Architecture for Public Libraries Committee
Member: IFLA Building and Equipment Committee