Find the bugs and win a Nexus 7!
We're upgrading ALA Connect from Drupal 6 to version 7 in March, and we need your help to find all of the bugs we know are lurking in the corners. Help us find them and if you're the ultimate bug squasher, we'll give you a free 16GB Google Nexus 7 tablet!
Here's the deal:
- Log in to the Connect development environment (or don't - we're also looking for bugs that occur when you're not logged in). Eventually though, you should also log in if you want to be the top exterminator.
- Go to your groups, post/edit/delete content, browse around, join an open community, and bang on the tires in general. Don't worry - email notifications are NOT going out to groups, so nothing you post will trigger notifications. Nothing you post will end up on the live version of Connect, so don't do any real work you want saved there.
- The Drupal 7 version of Connect is almost exactly the same as the Drupal 6 version, with the exception of a new way to create group chats. It's a familiar process, though, and is easy to figure out. Look for things that work in the current version of Connect but don't work in the new one.
- Send your bug reports to me (Jenny Levine) at jlevine [at] ala.org. Be sure to include full descriptions of how you produced the bug so that we can replicate it. If you see an error message, include a screenshot of it. Number your bug reports if possible so that we can easily refer to individual items during follow-up.
- Note that the development site can run a little slower than the live one, but the software will run fine once it's in production. This isn't a bug (we devote the bulk of the resources to the live site), so don't submit it as one. :)
- Find the most bugs and you win the Nexus 7 tablet - it's that simple.
Now for the rules, because you knew there would be rules:
- Only ALA members are eligible to win the tablet. Non-members can win glory, bragging rights, and my eternal gratitude if they want to join in. ALA staff members are not eligible (sorry, team - you're welcome to play with my personal Nexus tablet).
- All bug reports must be submitted by 8:00 am CST on Monday, February 25, 2013.
- We'll send the winner exterminator their 16GB Google Nexus 7 tablet in early March.
- Offer void where prohibited. I don't know what that means, but I've always wanted to say it.
- I'm sure I've missed some crucial aspect of the rules, so please be a kind participant.
To log in to the development environment:
- Go to http://d7.connect.ala.org/
- Enter alacon as the username
- Enter apple as the password
Ask questions in the comments, but otherwise you should get busy exterminating if you want to win!