Game Making IG Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2013
by Breanne Kirsch on Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:50 am
Game Making Interest Group Meeting Report
- We had 13 attendees at the meeting.
- The Chair, Breanne Kirsch gave a brief introduction and history of the Game Making Interest Group to those that were new.
- The group’s wiki was discussed and is available at: http://gamemakinginterestgroup.wikispaces.com/.
- Our upcoming program on gamification at ALA Annual in Chicago was discussed:
- “What You Need to Know Before Gamifying Your Library”
- Gamification, the application of game design and mechanics for user engagement, is a society-wide trend. Game-based learning has recently surfaced as a hot topic in higher education. This program will provide:
- An overview of what gamification means in the library context,
- What the potential benefits and pitfalls of gamification are and
- A lively discussion by a group of librarians with many examples of pioneering gamification projects at academic and public libraries.
- Ideas for possible future programs were discussed and the meeting was adjourned.
- A copy of the meeting handout has been attached for those that were unable to attend.