ALCTS needs Volunteers!
Now is the time to fill out the ALCTS volunteer form. The appointment process begins soon. The section appointing officers and Genevieve Owens, ALCTS President-elect, will be working to complete our appointments in the spring.
If you are going to the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Seattle, visit those group you are interested in and introduce yourself to the chair. Don't forget the ALCTS Forum, Lead, Publish and Teach with ALCTS, on Monday at 10:30 in the Washington State Convention Center, room 304. It's a great way to see what opportunities are available. And don't forget the ALCTS Member Reception on Saturday from 6-8 pm in the Sheraton, Metropolitan Ballroom A.
Being appointed to a committee is a time-honored way to serve ALCTS, get to know your colleagues, and launch an association volunteer career in ALCTS.
To receive an appointment, you first need to fill out the volunteer form on the ALCTS website, www.ala.org/alcts. Click the “Volunteer” tab at the top of the homepage to start.
Here are a few tips for success:
1. Fill out a volunteer form and submit it. More importantly, fill out the form completely. You would be surprised how many forms we receive with only the person’s name, contact information, and little else. There is space for you to tell us about yourself. Please use it. Bear in mind that the appointing officers may not know you.
2. Write the appointing officers and let them know you are interested. Certainly don’t overdo, but it helps for them to know what you are interested in doing. It also helps to discuss with them what openings they might have.
3. Don’t turn down an appointment for a committee you did not list. There are openings on every committee. There are committees for which there are few volunteers. The appointing officer may be asking you to accept one of those positions.
4. If you are new, haven’t had an appointment in many years, want to jump to a new section, or want to move to a division committee, think seriously about accepting an Intern position. Interning is a great way to get appointed as a regular committee member during the next cycle.
5. Go to the committee meetings and introduce yourself to the chair. Then mention that in your volunteer form. This approach works.
And don’t forget our Interest Groups. Each IG has openings for chair, co-chair, vice-chair and other positions. Let the current chair know you are interested in helping out.
Thank you for being an ALCTS member. You make ALCTS the great association it is today.
ALCTS Executive Director