Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) Community

42 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content

A working list of potential project activities, partnership, etc.:

NOTE: For press release-type info about SustainRT, check out piece Bonnie Smith's piece at http://ufdc.ufl.edu/l/AA00005033/00006

*There is a newer draft version available for editing*

***********************************************************************

BYLAWS: Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT)

 

  1. I.                   Name:

      The name of this organization shall be the Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT).

 

AGENDA from 2-8-13 (BlackBoard virtual meeting)

In attendance: Bonnie Smith, Beth Filar Williams, Madeleine Charney, Mara Egherman, Leighann Wood, Ashley Jones.

noon - 1pm EST

321
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc July 1, 2013 Minutes of SustainRT meeting,Chicago midwinter

by Madeleine Charney on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:47 pm

 

Minutes of ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) meeting                                    1 July 2013

Hyatt McCormick Place, Chicago

 

Minutes of ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) meeting                                    1 July 2013

Hyatt McCormick Place, Chicago

In attendance: Leighann Wood, ALA; Carrie Moran, U of Central Florida; Craig Emerson, ProQuest; Terry Link, MSU; Fred Stoss, SUNY Buffalo; Tasha Cooper, Syracuse U; Jeff Hartsell-Gundy, Miami U; Ashley Jones, Miami U; Beth Filar Williams, U North Carolina-Greensboro; Debbie Campbell, CARLI; Melora Ranney Norman, Unity College; Astrid Britten, Aruba; Monique Albeits, Sint Maarten; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Sustainable Libraries; Kim Medema, Loyola U; Kim Kane, U of California-San Diego; Rachel Myers, U of California-San Diego; Michelle Harrell Washington, ALA; Mara Egherman, Central College.

Introductions. Beth and Ashley mostly chaired the meeting, starting by asking folks to introduce themselves, so we went around the table. Also noted that we don’t have an official leader yet, elections will be in the fall for officers that will begin in the spring of 2014. Therefore this meeting has no official chair, but the founding members will lead us in discussion.

Beth and Ashley explained that this first meeting of SustainRT grew out of a series of four well-attended webinars during 2012 designed to explore reinvigoration of the Task Force on the Environment (TFOE) under the Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) of ALA and/or other options, out of which grew the sentiment that a new Round Table be formed. This takes the issue of sustainability to a higher level in ALA (and is broadly defined below). After a successful petition campaign, we were able to bring the request to ALA Council and it was quickly approved. During this process, new leaders emerged. The Steering Committee/founding members are currently working on bylaws.

Beth read our mission statement to the assembled group:

"The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) invites the exchange of ideas and opportunities regarding sustainability in order to move toward a more equitable, healthy and economically viable society. The mission of the organization is to provide resources for the library community to support sustainability through curriculum development; collections; exhibits; events; advocacy, communication, library buildings and space design."

Mara chimed in that we want to incorporate all kinds of libraries, librarians, library workers and others though most founding members are in academia. Also, in addition to our ALA Connect site, we have a listserv on ALA’s site:  sustainrt-l@ala.org, the Sustainability Librarians group on Linked In, and we are tweeting at #alaSustainRT. Also make sure to add #ala2013 to any tweets. Via social media we can reach out to non-ALA members. Thanked Terry and Fred for their past work as TFOE chairs and support of the new Round Table. Noted that other groups, such as ALA/ACRL Western European Study Section (WESS)/Scandinavian may be interested in partnering for program planning. Session on environmental issues in Arctic, for example.

(Fred?) suggested that we look to SRRT and ALA’s Intellectual Freedom Round Table (IFRT)’s bylaws and how they incorporate all types of libraries. SustainRT is complementary to TFOE - Fred said that SRRT might be disbanding TFOE, might merge Green Libraries in ALA Connect into our SustainRT community.

During Fossils fuel resolution someone mentioned why don't we stop coming to midwinter too? Can we have Skype or chat while meeting virtually, how does ALA feel about it? Or webcast the meeting for people to listen but not necessarily be able to participate. Fred suggested emulating RUSA for virtual meetings.

To have Internet at ALA conference costs about $400 (Leighann) so maybe bring hotspot, and your own laptop (Fred). Poster sessions at membership booth would be great.

Webinars and Planning for ALA 2014 ideas so far include lightning talks or a panel about library sustainability projects; hands-on workshop for creating a Sustainability Action Plan for your institution; sponsor speaker Mandy Henk.

Water program sponsor with ALA/ACRL Law and Political Science Section (LPSS)! More talk on this program but we would be interested in sponsoring.

(Fred suggested) Debbie Balsamo, EPA in Triangle Park? Maybe talk about this topic as a discussion? Or a visit and tour of the EPA’s library? Fred had been on a tour at another event.

Can we incorporate United Nations’ Decade of Sustainable Development, US partnership (Terry is a fellow with them)? Ends in 2015.

Those in higher ed, collaborate with AASHE? Get libraries more involved. Get your institution involved.

Metrics on corporate responsibility (Fred).

Add in better foods aspect, yoga sessions, walks, meditation room while at ALA (Carrie).

Birding session at a past conference.

Look at recycling and environmental aspects of the convention center (Melora).

Fred gives talks on Al Gore’s climate change talk and could again -webinar?

Unity college president would possibly do a webinar, the first college to eliminate fossil fuels! (Melora)

Panel with school librarian, public librarian, academic librarian and more?

Libraries Build Sustainable Communities part 2 (Fred suggests)

Sustainable thinking in libraries, community support looking at financial aspect.

Sustainable showcase-how we did what we did with various librarians and example. (Carrie)

GODORT session, like conference sponsored by Iowa GODORT on how to get government resources for your sustainability projects. (Mara) http://www.iowalibraryassociation.org/images/subdivisions/GODART/agenda_godort2011.pdf

Planning for ACRL 2015 in Portland OR (theme is Building Sustainable Communities) Beth encouraged people to join planning committees. Contact conference planning chair Lori Goetsch at lgoetsch@k-state.edu . Beth and Madeleine Charney of UMass are already co-chairing Innovations and Workshops respectively.

Website content and design - What information/features to include. What else? What other positions should the group have?

There are many leadership opportunities here! Some SustainRT founding members already have roles in other sections and want to participate but not serve in an official leadership capacity. Please step up if interested!

Carrie would be interested in serving as webmaster.

Melora Norman will create a Facebook group for us (and help with composing bylaws), can serve as social media coordinator.

Discussion of titles within SustainRT, should leaders be called “chair” or “coordinator?”

Local arrangements coordinator is helpful in location city for conferences.

We could use a program coordinator for planning sessions at ALA and elsewhere.

Have liaisons to other groups in ALA, be a part of ALA Round Table Assembly, cross pollination.

Reach out to library schools to get them involved, gophers, write up, website, run webinars, and maybe possibly sponsor one to a conference one day.

Write up for SRRT newsletter with all our communication. Mara will submit for their next one.

Membership Options fair - we will be able to participate in this once we get membership.

As of September people can join our Round Table via ALA membership or renewal.

Q&A with Michelle of ALA. She’d recommend clearly defining goals, it is Important to get a good succinct message, elevator speech, same message for us all to give out, maybe a small business card handout with our info. Partner with other groups in programming for conferences. Emulate IFRT.

PAC for librarians “Every Library

Motion that the organizers of SustainRT to support the fossils fuel resolution by Melora, second by Mara, all voted in favor!

-----------------------------------------

Minutes respectfully submitted by Mara Egherman eghermanm@central.edu .

More...

Online Doc August 15, 2013 SustainRT meeting

by Madeleine Charney on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:46 pm

SustainRT teleconference meeting 8/15/13

MINUTES

Recording here:
https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2013-08-15.0716.M.669FDEC58C8549C611C2EC64F0EDEE.vcr&sid=315

Meeting commenced: 10:00 am EST

Meeting adjourned: 11:05 am EST

SustainRT teleconference meeting 8/15/13

MINUTES

Recording here:
https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2013-08-15.0716.M.669FDEC58C8549C611C2EC64F0EDEE.vcr&sid=315

Meeting commenced: 10:00 am EST

Meeting adjourned: 11:05 am EST

In attendance:
Madeleine Charney
Beth Filar Williams
Ashley Jones
Mara Egerman
Carrie Moran
Leighann Wood
Bonnie Smith
Kim Kane

AGENDA

1) Proposal for ALA 2014 in Las Vegas.

Good news:  Round tables can sponsor a program and need no approval. Our deadline will be in October/November

1)      We will co-sponsor water program with ALA/ACRL Law and Political Science Section (LPSS). Ashley will be liaison for this!

2)      We will propose Lightning Talks: Different librarians showcase sustainability actions at their libraries. Perhaps create "mini" action plans for people to take away. For example, "i'm a school librarian who created a garden in the courtyard for kids to learn how to grow their own food"--here's how you can do it. Ideally,  presenters will become acquainted beforehand so they know others are doing, find common ground and make a more cohesive presentation all together.  IMPORTANT: a take away (e.g. handout, something to post on our website, LibGuide, wikis for referral afterwards)

Presenters:

1 - Public

2 - School

3 - Academic

4 - Special

5 - Corporate/non-profit

6 - Other: Rebekah Aldridge has already  volunteered to present

Other: Mandy Henke (not sure she can be there)

 

 

2a) Other ideas to keep in mind for the future:

How to Create a Sustainability Action Plan (hands-on workshop with Madeleine and others)

Mandy Henk (SustainRT sponsors her as a speaker?)

Debbie Balsamo, EPA in Triangle Park? Maybe talk about this topic as a discussion? Or a visit and tour of the EPA?s library? Fred Stoss had been on a tour at another event.

Can we incorporate United Nations? Decade of Sustainable Development[2], US partnership (Terry is a fellow with them)? Ends in 2015.

Those in higher ed, collaborate with AASHE[3]? Get libraries more involved. Get your institution involved.

Metrics on corporate responsibility (Fred).

Birding session at a past conference.

Fred gives talks on Al Gore?s climate change talk and could again -webinar?

Unity college president would possibly do a webinar, the first college to eliminate fossil fuels! (Melora)

"Libraries Build Sustainable Communities" part 2 (Fred suggests)
http://www.ala.org/srrt/tfoe/lbsc/librariesbuildsustainablecommunitiesin...

Sustainable thinking in libraries, community support looking at financial aspect.

GODORT session, like conference sponsored by Iowa GODORT on how to get government resources for your sustainability projects. (Mara)http://www.iowalibraryassociation.org/images/subdivisions/GODART/agenda_...

2) Electing officers

Need PBA rep by Sept. 1st. (Leighann will send out Call for Volunteer right away)

Ballot needs to be ready for February; elections in March

Coordinator (Ashley)
Coordinator Elect
Immediate Past Coordinator (Beth?)
Treasurer
Secretary 
Members at large (2 needed: Bonnie and Madeleine)

Also need appointed volunteers for:
Membership (Mara)
Web site (Carrie)
Publications (Melora? If this includes social media)
Nominating
Programming (Leighann)
Initiatives (e.g. for conference “greening”)
Budget? (treasurer?)

We will function as a Steering Committee until these roles are fulfilled.

After bylaws are final, Mara will put out a call for candidates on the listserv.

3) New website

Carrie will get Drupal training from John Amundsen and Pam Akins
She looked at all other ALA sites
We need a logo
She will contact Melora Ranney Norman, Unity College (Maine) melora@librarygrist.net . Melora  agreed to make a Facebook page.
Everyone: Send photos to Carie for the “gallery” on our new page.

4) Finalizing by-laws

Ashley will post newest version on Connect with date
Deadline for comments: Mon. 9/16/13

5) For ALA 2014 (and other conferences):

We will have our Initiative person attend to these types of ideas:

Add in better foods aspect, yoga sessions, walks, meditation room while at ALA (Carrie).
Look at recycling and environmental aspects of the convention center (Melora).

Respectfully submitted,

Madeleine Charney
8/15/13

More...

Discussion June 28, 2014 SustainRT Annual Meeting - ALA Annual Las Vegas

by Matthew Bollerman on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:46 pm

DRAFT.

SustainRT Annual Meeting, June 28, 2014, ALA Annual Las Vegas

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Carrie Moran; Marcia Bailey; Jennifer Gallant, ALA Councilor for SustainRT; Beth Filar Williams; Kim Kane; Heather Hayashi; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large; Arlene Hopkins; Mindy Reed; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Andrew Peters; Mary Beth Lock and Kate Hutchens

Meeting was called to order at 1:05 pm by Ashley Jones.

DRAFT.

SustainRT Annual Meeting, June 28, 2014, ALA Annual Las Vegas

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Carrie Moran; Marcia Bailey; Jennifer Gallant, ALA Councilor for SustainRT; Beth Filar Williams; Kim Kane; Heather Hayashi; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large; Arlene Hopkins; Mindy Reed; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Andrew Peters; Mary Beth Lock and Kate Hutchens

Meeting was called to order at 1:05 pm by Ashley Jones.

A guided imagery was conducted by Madeleine.

Ashley presented a brief history of the roundtable formation and made introductions. It was reported that there are 123 members and a newly elected Board.

The finances are as follows:

Budgeted Income      $1,125

Actual Income            $495 – all from memberships

Actual Expenses        $82 – bank fees and overhead due ALA

Balance                       $413

The roundtable has been encouraged to fundraise and increase members. A budget for the next fiscal year is needed by July 31, 2014. Matthew moved and Carrie seconded. Approved.

The draft bylaws were presented and reviewed by Eileen. On a motion by Matthew and seconded by Rebekkah they were approved.

Two exercises were conducted; one was to determine what success of the roundtable looks like. The second was to determine who would take on leading the projects to achieve that success.

Two representatives from SRRT, Mike Marlin and Al Kagan visited with the group and asked us to help them with resolutions for ALA Council regarding petroleum divestment. Matthew spoke and asked for some time as SustainRT is just starting.

Meeting adjourned at 2:30 pm.

More...

Discussion January 27, 2014 Mid-Winter Meeting Minutes

by Ashley Jones on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:45 pm

SustainRT Meeting Minutes

ALA MidWinter Meeting

Philadelphia, PA

January 27, 2014
8:30 am

 

Present:

Ashley Jones (SustainRT Steering Committee member)

Mary Beth Lock (Planning and Budget Assembly Representative)

Emily Sheketoff (Washington Office)

Kate Hutchens

Suzanne Lipkin

Lori Shemanski

Ashley Sowa

 

Meeting commenced at 8:30 am

 

1)     Introductions

 

SustainRT Meeting Minutes

ALA MidWinter Meeting

Philadelphia, PA

January 27, 2014
8:30 am

 

Present:

Ashley Jones (SustainRT Steering Committee member)

Mary Beth Lock (Planning and Budget Assembly Representative)

Emily Sheketoff (Washington Office)

Kate Hutchens

Suzanne Lipkin

Lori Shemanski

Ashley Sowa

 

Meeting commenced at 8:30 am

 

1)     Introductions

 

Ashley gave a brief history of the formation of SustainRT as well as the motivations and goals behind the formation of the group. Namely that SustainRT aims to build a more resilient, harmonious, and holistic community through the economic, environmental, and social aspects of sustainability, going  beyond the concept of just being “green."

 

Emily Sheketoff from the ALA Washington office, government relations and information technology policy, offered ideas for working together: keeping SustainRT informed of relevant issues; being available to SustainRT when we need information when we need it. She also asked if it was alright for the Washington Office to come to us with certain issues they think we might have a stake in. She recommended we subscribe to district dispatch in order to keep up with news and information.

 

Mary Beth mentioned she had attended the Planning and Budget Assembly on SustainRT’s behalf the day before. Due to SustainRT’s early stage of becoming established, she did not have any items to report

 

2)     Announcements about the upcoming elections and call for volunteers, as well as the Lightening Talks program at ALA Annual on Sat. 6/28 1:00--2:30

 

3)     General Discussion about goals and priorities for SustainRT. Ashley stressed that the meeting was meant to be an informal discussion of ideas, as the leadership for the round table is not yet in place. Once leaders are identified, SustainRT will facilitate the gathering of resources, sharing of ideas, networking and learning opportunities, and bringing like-minded people together. It was discussed that sustainability in libraries could encompass many things such as curriculum development, collection development, exhibits, events, and advocacy. She mentioned the 12/11/13 open, virtual discussion and the ideas generated. A popular idead was for SustainRT to develop a toolkit of practical items such as a list of talking points, a speakers bureau, lesson plans, books, web sites.  

 

4)     Some attendees shared their experiences serving on a library green team.

 

5)     The role of smaller working groups within SustainRT was discussed, as the way for people to focus on their own specific sustainable interests within the broader scope of the group. Attendees expressed interest in sustainable space renovation; eliminating ALA Mid-Winter meeting (already being discussed in other ALA groups and divisions); evaluating outcomes of eliminating MW from a sustainability stand point; producing a means for conference attendees to engage in sustainable behavior at professional conferences (e.g. ride-shares, local and sustainable restaurants, sustainable accommodations); collecting circulation stats on Cognotes (e.g. number of each issue printed vs. number taken by conference attendees).

 

6)     As the meeting came to an end, the various ways to stay connected were re-iterated (website, facebook, LinkedIn, listserve, ALA connect) and instructions for how to join SustainRT.

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:37 am

 

Respectfully submitted by Ashley Jones, February 5, 2014

More...

Event December 11, 2013 SustainRT virtual discussion

by Beth Filar-Williams on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:44 pm

Follow up from our first SustainRT Virtual Discussion today:

  • recording (it downloads java and runs the recording)
  • powerpoint (attached as pdf)
  • google doc (open to all, where we shared idea and things we had done)

Discussion August 1, 2014 Conference Call

by Matthew Bollerman on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:43 pm

DRAFT

ALA Sustainability Round Table

Minutes, August 1, 2014 Conference Call, 9 am (EST)

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large

Meeting was called to order at 9:05 am.

Minutes of June 28 Annual Meeting will be approved at next Annual Meeting in 2015 at San Francisco.

DRAFT

ALA Sustainability Round Table

Minutes, August 1, 2014 Conference Call, 9 am (EST)

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large

Meeting was called to order at 9:05 am.

Minutes of June 28 Annual Meeting will be approved at next Annual Meeting in 2015 at San Francisco.

Review of Annual Meeting, including the results of the Think, Pair and Share exercise. The roundtable needs to touch base with those who attended the meeting and help start up the working groups. Propose some initial dates/deadlines. Rebekkah will act as liaison to the Marketing and Outreach group. The notes will be sent to the SustainRT list.

Lightning Round was well attended and an excellent program. Lots of note taking and energy.

A letter of support from SustainRT will be sent for the Green Ribbon Award proposal heading to IMLS.

Project spreadsheet that Madeleine has developed will be shared with working groups to allow them access to ideas already presented.

Next meeting will be determined by necessity. Will use Doodle to organize.

ALA contact needs to be solidified. Working with ALA Calendar and budget still needs to be ironed out.

Motion to adjourn (Bollerman, Charney) at 9:57 am. Passed.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Matthew Bollerman

 

More...

Discussion May 30, 2014 Conference Call

by Matthew Bollerman on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:43 pm

ALA Sustainability Round Table

Minutes, May 30, 2014 Conference Call, 1 pm (EST)

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large

ALA Sustainability Round Table

Minutes, May 30, 2014 Conference Call, 1 pm (EST)

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large

Ashley recapped the roundtables recent history in becoming. She shared a vision of the group as: how to delegate actions, not be a watchdog group, broader support to facilitate change, sub groups can work on projects, ex “greening the conference,” and helping libraries create a more resilient society.

Each member gave their background and shared their reason for serving on the roundtable.

Looking to begin by scheduling a monthly meeting. A poll will be sent to determine day/time.

Bylaws need to be adopted. Use ALA Connect version. Work out now and look to adopt at Annual in Las Vegas.

ALA has someone who can help assist in forming the group. We currently share an ALA Councilor with other smaller roundtables.

Las Vegas Membership meeting needs an agenda. This will include the bylaws, update on membership, financials and activities. Facilitate a discussion on what to focus on. Possibly a group building exercise to start the session.

Lightning Round and unofficial meet up and also planned. Meet up is an architect tour that is about an hour long and leaves from the Convention Center.

Roundtable will not use conference ribbons. Possibly make your own or have a permanent button to promote SustainRT.

Respectfully submitted,

Matthew Bollerman

More...

Discussion June 20, 2014 Conference Call

by Matthew Bollerman on Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 03:42 pm

ALA Sustainability Round Table

Minutes, June 20, 2014 Conference Call, 2 pm (EST)

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large

Review of the annual meeting agenda. Bylaws adoption is key. Eileen will take charge of review of draft bylaws and look for final changes by Tuesday, June 24.

ALA Sustainability Round Table

Minutes, June 20, 2014 Conference Call, 2 pm (EST)

Present: Ashley Jones, Coordinator; Madeleine Charney, Coordinator Elect; Betsy Evans, Treasurer; Matthew Bollerman, Secretary; Eileen Harrington, Member at Large; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Member at Large

Review of the annual meeting agenda. Bylaws adoption is key. Eileen will take charge of review of draft bylaws and look for final changes by Tuesday, June 24.

Minutes from May meeting were met with approval. A reminder to advertise and attend the Sunday meet up at Annual Conference in Las Vegas. The meet up will be an architecture walking tour of sites near the convention center.

Agenda will include a visioning exercise, a “think, pair, share” exercise that tries to answer what success for the roundtables activities would look like. A review of programs the roundtable can oversee will then be discussed in light of our success statement. An agenda with responsibility was worked on electronically and posted to ALA Connect. *copy below for reference*

Ribbons will be constructed at this meeting as well.

The Lightning Rounds program seems very well underway.

Meeting adjourned at 3 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Matthew Bollerman

 

SustainRT meeting (Sat. 6/28 1-2:30)

AGENDA

Guided imagery (2 min.) - Madeleine

History and introductions (5 min.) - Ashley

Reports (10 min.) - All

Review by-laws and approve/amend (10 min.) - Eileen

Think Pair Share (35 min.) - Rebekkah

“How do we know what SustainRT success looks like?”

Look  at projects spreadsheet --can we sort into bigger categories? (20 min.) - Matt

Make ribbons

Back up activity: “Snowball of Ideas”

More...

This space will be used initially to develop a mission statement for a potential new Sustainability Round Table and language for an e-petition as well. In the future it will be a working space for activities of this Round Table.

Subscribe to Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT)