ALCTS / LITA Metadata Standards Committee Committee

Closed group
In: Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS), Guidelines and Standards, Library and Information Technology Association (LITA)
11 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee -- Midwinter Minutes

by Kevin Clair on Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 05:52 pm

Metadata Standards Committee

 

Committee attendance: Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair (notes), Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Jon Solomon, Jenn Riley (co-chair), Eva Bolkovac (co-chair), Bonnie Parks, Erik Mitchell

 

1. Minutes for three meetings were reviewed and approved: the ALA Annual meeting, and those from the committee's two conference calls from August 2013 and January 2014.

 

Metadata Standards Committee

 

Committee attendance: Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair (notes), Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Jon Solomon, Jenn Riley (co-chair), Eva Bolkovac (co-chair), Bonnie Parks, Erik Mitchell

 

1. Minutes for three meetings were reviewed and approved: the ALA Annual meeting, and those from the committee's two conference calls from August 2013 and January 2014.

 

2. Planning for program about schema.org at ALA Annual. The committee developed a list of people to ask about speaking at the committee's program, including Jason Ronallo at NCSU, Dan Scott and/or Richard Wallis from the schema.org bibliographic extensions group, and librarians at Stanford who are or may be using schema.org at their institution (such as Greg Miller in the business library). Bonnie also noted that Regina Reynolds talked about schema.org initiatives at the CONSER meeting this morning, and is another possibility. Duke is also active in this area, and Will Sexton's name was mentioned as another possibility.

 

ALCTS Program Committee has a 5 Febr. deadline for submitting changes to programs, so it would be good to get a finalized (or nearly-finalized depending on funding considerations) list of speakers by then. We have also already finalized a program description which will appear in ALA Connect when the scheduler for Annual is up.

 

3. Issues arising from the BIBFRAME forum at Midwinter that the committee might be able to tackle. Jenn mentioned a discussion she had about getting technical folks involved in developing BIBFRAME vocabularies and getting those voices heard alongside those of the cataloging community that they're focusing more on. Is there a role that MSC could play to engage both sides in metadata initiatives?

 

CaMMS CE committee representative wants to work in conjunction with us to develop a non-LC-driven wide view of how BIBFRAME fits into what we're trying to do and what some of the underlying concepts are. their forums and sessions are still largely driven by what LC brings to the table, and there's interest in bringing different viewpoints to the table. Some ideas: trying to put together a "background conversation" to communicate better what the underpinnings of BIBFRAME are.

 

Another possibility would be to engage the LITA metadata interest group, who are also working on similar issues.

 

CaMMS CE is very interested in getting more librarians to engage more actively with the BIBFRAME development effort, so that they're conversant in the ideas that are driving it and are able to transform their MARC data and MARC-based cataloging processes to any new environment that might develop. no FUD, no heavily technical talk, trying to ground it in what BIBFRAME in production might actually look like. LC's forums are starting to look like that--Eric Miller presented the BIBFRAME editor at today's--but the idea behind this collaboration would be to get non-LC voices in the conversation. in addition to ALA Forums, another idea would be to devote an issue of ISQ to publishing some use cases and articles in this area

 

Many visitors to the meeting expressed a need to improve the conversations between BIBFRAME developers and working catalogers. "Translating BIBFRAME: how its foundations can be mutually intelligible to catalogers and coders"

 

finding points of weakness in the BIBFRAME model based on real library use cases where BIBFRAME misses the mark, and hopefully finding solutions based on engaging as many different user communities as possible.

 

Making this work: identifying potential speakers, use cases, perspectives. the goal is to help people understand how and why BIBFRAME is built the way it is, how it reflects the past and prepares us for the future. giving people "some warm blankets," something to grab onto so they have a better, less abstract understanding of how BIBFRAME operates. Janet agreed to be the MSC representative to this planning effort. Next step is to take this program idea to the CaMMS Forum for approval.

 

Any other ideas from other sessions?

Diane Hillman's talk at MIG this morning on automated metadata creation/cleanup processes and provenance metadata; possible groups to follow there within ALA and the W3C and other groups ALISE Data Curation group

 

4. Statement on PCC report on internal MARC field punctuation. We decided to issue a joint statement with PCC about internal MARC field punctuation, which PCC argued was worded too strongly for what they wanted to do. (more about this in the 1/17/2014 minutes). Jenn forwarded our statement on this (that we're not changing the wording) to the PCC for review, and they indicated that they would be in touch about this, but haven't heard anything more yet.

 

5. Planning for community-curated metadata news/awareness site. Jenn's to-dos from the last call had to do with understanding more about how the dh+lib service works, which is serving as our model for how we want to construct this site. Zach Coble helps coordinate some of dh+lib's work and indicated that ALA hosts their content, and they do no marketing other than syndicating a Twitter feed that cross-posts new content they post. their views per post vary depending on topic (sometimes 100, sometimes 1000), but averages 200-300.

 

the way dh+lib works is that they engage volunteer editors who are engaged in the digital humanities community, who spend a week curating content and commentary for the site. CaMMS CE indicated that there would be volunteering interest from their group.

 

using the site as a companion piece to the BIBFRAME forum w/ CaMMS we discussed earlier.

 

possible categories? time periods that we want to focus on a single topic? dh+lib's categories are Posts, Resources, Jobs, CFPs. we could focus less on some of those things (e.g. jobs) and more on curated presentations of interest, events (particularly those outside librarianship)

 

need for volunteers to set up the technical side, find volunteer editors, plan content (dh+lib has an editors' guide that they send to editors), etc. would like to start on this as quickly as we can.

 

Erik volunteered to write up a draft scope/content statement Kevin volunteered to look into the technical side of setting this up Bonnie volunteered to work on design of the site Jenn will ask about hosting options Eva will set up the next committee conference call, where we'll talk about this (some time in February)

 

6. Discussion of further projects that we should undertake Request from CaMMS CE committee for this committee to provide ideas for their group, as it's undergoing re-charging. they need ideas by March. looking for a very active charge for the group: monitor that, do this, etc. definitely an area for collaboration as "education" isn't one of the items listed in the MSC charge.

 

"unclaimed competencies"-- project management, brokering. also balancing complex cataloging rules and standards, now and in the future (RDA, BIBFRAME, whatever else).

 

infographics that might frame and explain some of the issues we're concerned with, like relationships between organizations, relationships between standards and markup languages expressing those standards, explaining the differences between descriptive frameworks and serializations of descriptive frameworks, etc. something like the DCAM, but more modernized (and less abstract...) something with a high-level view which also contains a lot of depth. the IU infographic of metadata standards from a while back is a good example.

 

guiding principles of the committee's work. we don't need a committee to e.g. determine that BIBFRAME is a good idea which should be adopted, but we can serve as a guidance for standards and best practices. are we the committee that serves as an independent arbiter of which vocabularies should be used? are we in a position to do that? we shouldn't try to be authoritative, but we can serve as a resource for the metadata standards and vocabularies that are out there and guide libraries to the ones that are best suited to their needs.

 

OLAC as an example: because they deal with a specific use case (audiovisual cataloging) that is a little more advanced, they run into weird problems that LC might not necessarily encounter as they develop standards. they've developed a role as developers of best practices and guidance based on a track record of work doing that over time, which is something this group could also do as it moves forward.

 

guiding principles: "you should pay attention to this standard because..." "the metadata landscape in libraries should look like this because..." being proactive in making statements about the evolution and emergence of standards.

More...

Event Understanding Schema.org

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 03:08 pm

Join us for an engaging session on "Understanding schema.org" at ALA Annual, sponsored by the ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee.

Sunday, June 29 10:30-11:30am

Las Vegas Convention Center S230

Join us for an engaging session on "Understanding schema.org" at ALA Annual, sponsored by the ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee.

Sunday, June 29 10:30-11:30am

Las Vegas Convention Center S230

Schema.org is an effort among major search engines to promote better linking of Web content through the use of metadata attributes in HTML markup, allowing for improved access to digital objects. The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee invites you to hear speakers who are active in schema.org development in libraries, and who will discuss initiatives in this area within the GLAM community which promote a broader understanding of the development of bibliographic information among these communities. After a brief introduction to how schema.org represents a "discovery elsewhere" strategy for libraries, we will hear from two speakers.

Dan Scott, Systems Librarian, Laurentian University.

"Cataloging for the open web." Libraries have provided multiple access points for their resources in their catalogs--but that requires users to know that those catalogs exist. In a world where Google, Bing, and Yahoo are the ready-at-hand search tools, we need to provide access points for third-party search engines if we want to expand access to our resources. Embedding machine-readable schema.org metadata into the ordinary catalog pages of Evergreen, Koha, and VuFind is an effort to surface library resources in a way that meets the contextual needs of both users and search engines."

Jason A. Clark, Head of Library Informatics & Computing, Montana State University Libraries.

"Beyond description: Using Schema.org to describe networks and actions in book, people, and discovery settings." At its core Schema.org is about creating machine-actionable descriptions of content. Librarian, especially cataloging librarians, have a unique understanding of the benefits of description at scale. What may be newer to our field are the additional expressions being brought into the Schema.org standard such as actions, roles, and linked data sameAs equivalencies. With the introduction of these expressions, opportunities for a more nuanced expression of identity and relationships in addition to basic description have been enabled. In this session, we’ll look at some particular projects at Montana State University Library – an online web book (arc.lib.montana.edu/book/home-cooking-history-409/), a people directory application (www.lib.montana.edu/people/), and a digital collections search application (arc.lib.montana.edu/digital-collections/) – that are beginning to apply some of these additional Schema.org expressions to define relationships and linked data sources inside of web applications and web pages.

Presentation slides:

More information about this conference session in ALA Conference Scheduler

More...

Online Doc ALA Annual 2014 Meeting Agenda - ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

by Jennifer Riley on Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:30 am

ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

ALA Annual 2014, Las Vegas
Sunday, June 29, 1:00-2:30pm
Las Vegas Convention Center N234

PLEASE NOTE: We will not be providing paper copies of the agenda or past minutes at our meeting. Please have them available on your electronic device of choice or print them for your own use.

Some links to documents in this agenda may point to content for which only committee members currently have access.

AGENDA

ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

ALA Annual 2014, Las Vegas
Sunday, June 29, 1:00-2:30pm
Las Vegas Convention Center N234

PLEASE NOTE: We will not be providing paper copies of the agenda or past minutes at our meeting. Please have them available on your electronic device of choice or print them for your own use.

Some links to documents in this agenda may point to content for which only committee members currently have access.

AGENDA

  1. Approval of minutes from ALA Midwinter 2014
  2. Thank you to outgoing committee members
  3. Welcome of incoming members
  4. Possible joint statement with PCC on ISBD punctuation, discussion with PCC Chair Beth Camden
  5. Report for PCC Task Group on the Creation and Function of Name Authorities in a Non-MARC Environment, discussion with incoming MSC co-chair Jennifer Liss
  6. Current awareness site 
    1. DLF session on new modes of publishing, Jenn invited to speak about this site
    2. Finalize project scope document drafted by Erik, and update timeline
    3. Update on hosting plans from Kevin
    4. Review methods for assigning editors proposed by Jenn
    5. Brainstorm possible names
  7. Sponsoring programming at future conferences

Notetaker: Amy Rudersdorf

 

More...

Event Metadata Standards Committee

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 09:38 am

Meeting of the committee

Meeting agenda may be found at http://connect.ala.org/node/225112

More information about this conference session

Online Doc Understanding schema.org at ALA Annual Conference - Sunday 10:30am, LVCC S230

by Denise Bennett on Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 08:59 am

Join us for an engaging session on "Understanding schema.org" at ALA Annual, sponsored by the ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

Sunday, June 29

10:30-11:30am

Las Vegas Convention Center S230

Join us for an engaging session on "Understanding schema.org" at ALA Annual, sponsored by the ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

Sunday, June 29

10:30-11:30am

Las Vegas Convention Center S230

Schema.org is an effort among major search engines to promote better linking of Web content through the use of metadata attributes in HTML markup, allowing for improved access to digital objects. The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee invites you to hear speakers who are active in schema.org development in libraries, and who will discuss initiatives in this area within the GLAM community which promote a broader understanding of the development of bibliographic information among these communities.

After a brief introduction to how schema.org represents a "discovery elsewhere" strategy for libraries, we will hear from two speakers.

Dan Scott, Systems Librarian, Laurentian University. "Cataloging for the open web."

Libraries have provided multiple access points for their resources in their catalogs--but that requires users to know that those catalogs exist. In a world where Google, Bing, and Yahoo are the ready-at-hand search tools, we need to provide access points for third-party search engines if we want to expand access to our resources. Embedding machine-readable schema.org metadata into the ordinary catalog pages of Evergreen, Koha, and VuFind is an effort to surface library resources in a way that meets the contextual needs of both users and search engines."

Jason A. Clark, Head of Library Informatics & Computing, Montana State University Libraries. "Beyond description: Using Schema.org to describe networks and actions in book, people, and discovery settings."

At its core Schema.org is about creating machine-actionable descriptions of content. Librarian, especially cataloging librarians, have a unique understanding of the benefits of description at scale. What may be newer to our field are the additional expressions being brought into the Schema.org standard such as actions, roles, and linked data sameAs equivalencies. With the introduction of these expressions, opportunities for a more nuanced expression of identity and relationships in addition to basic description have been enabled. In this session, we’ll look at some particular projects at Montana State University Library – an online web book (arc.lib.montana.edu/book/home-cooking-history-409/), a people directory application (www.lib.montana.edu/people/), and a digital collections search application (arc.lib.montana.edu/digital-collections/) – that are beginning to apply some of these additional Schema.org expressions to define relationships and linked data sources inside of web applications and web pages. 

Find this session on the ALA Conference Scheduler at http://ala14.ala.org/node/14382.


 

 

PUBLICITY:

alctsleaders SENT 6/21 jlr

bibframe SENT 6/21 jlr

autocat SENT 6/21 jlr

lita-l 

rusa-l SENT 6/23 DB

(acrl) uls-l SENT 6/23 DB

(acrl) sts-l SENT 6/23 DB

others?

More...

Online Doc Notes from meeting at ALA Conference, 6/29/2013

by Jennifer Riley on Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 03:03 pm

Metadata Standards Committee

ALA Annual Meeting, Chicago

29 June 2013

 

Committee members present:

Éva Balcovac, Jenn Riley, Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Erik Mitchell, Bonnie Parks, Amy Rudersdorf, Jon Solomon

 

Our vision:

Continuing with our preference to establish goals with high and quick impact

a) Roadmap to Metadata: visualization tools, relationships, etc.

b) How do we fit with other groups, e.g. MARC Transition Interest Group, 

c) define our role as:

Metadata Standards Committee

ALA Annual Meeting, Chicago

29 June 2013

 

Committee members present:

Éva Balcovac, Jenn Riley, Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Erik Mitchell, Bonnie Parks, Amy Rudersdorf, Jon Solomon

 

Our vision:

Continuing with our preference to establish goals with high and quick impact

a) Roadmap to Metadata: visualization tools, relationships, etc.

b) How do we fit with other groups, e.g. MARC Transition Interest Group, 

c) define our role as:

education, advocacy, outreach

interpretive layer

develop/publicize case studies, core competencies, best practices

 

Our charge still carries a component of bibliographic data, but what topics should we tackle? BibFrame is LC, not ALA; we're not positioned to move quickly; they’re not having enough open discussion -- so what could be our role? 

Options for the education/advocacy/outreach function include:

1) How to get from MARC to linked data?  A visualization (such as spaghetti in a bucket); other ways to facilitate the transition.  Advocate for using new fields even if your local system doesn't support them yet.  Encourage the coding of relationships and attributes.  Many catalogers see the workload but not the added benefits, so we can educate on the future value and encourage folks to not lose sight of the benefit, which is the impact on the users in finding, identifying, and discovering.

2) Library as Publisher: reusability, linking metadata to get content to user

3) Linked data, as embodied by schema.org.  Illustrate with case studies, mappings.  

4) Applying RDA beyond the catalog; incorporating RDA into non-metadata felids, such as the 3xx.

5) Helping develop a mental model of interactions: where components begin and end, letting the pieces play together, interacting and connecting the modularities.

6) Poll or survey librarian to identify their biggest concerns.

7) Don't forget the technology impact -- we can't separate standards from the technology at our disposal.  Include digital content, ILS, etc.

 

Impact:

1) Could the committee facilitate individuals becoming involved in relevant standards development and implementation?

2) Or would it be more effective for committee members to state our role (even if modestly in our sigs) since participating as part of the group might have more impact.

3) ALA Committees may serve as liaisons to other groups (as opposed to “members”) without needing higher approval.  

 

The ALCTS Standards Task Force report includes a list of relevant standards, so we don't need to reinvent.

 

Next steps:  

Midwinter: invite PCC Chair to our meeting

 

Sponsor a joint ALCTS/LITA program next Annual

Speakers could focus on:

a) Schema.org, including LODLAM implementers

b) librarians involved in linked data (W3C):  who's exposing, who's using, what's happening

If not accepted, we could try the Joint ALA/SAA/AAM Committee on Archives, Libraries and Museums (CALM)

More...

Discussion Minutes from 8/16/13 conference call

by Bonnie Parks on Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:03 am

ALCTS Metadata Standards Committee Conference Call 8/16/2013

MINUTES

Present: Amy Rudersdorf, Bonnie Parks (notes), Denise Bennett, Erik Mitchell, Éva Balcovac, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Jenn Riley, Jon Solomon, Kevin Clair

Guest: Phil Schreur

  1. PCC punctuation report, with guest Phil Schreur

Follow up from Midwinter on PCC-ISBD punctuation report.

ALCTS Metadata Standards Committee Conference Call 8/16/2013

MINUTES

Present: Amy Rudersdorf, Bonnie Parks (notes), Denise Bennett, Erik Mitchell, Éva Balcovac, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Jenn Riley, Jon Solomon, Kevin Clair

Guest: Phil Schreur

  1. PCC punctuation report, with guest Phil Schreur

Follow up from Midwinter on PCC-ISBD punctuation report.

  • Background: The original idea was to be able to include enough subfielding in MARC format so ISBD punctuation could be stripped out; however, it was recently announced that we are transitioning away from MARC21 to BIBFRAME. Beacher Wiggins suggested at PoCo that the ALCTS Metadata Standards Committee would be a good funnel to provide information to the BIBFRAME developers.
  • The punctuation report is very much in sync with BIBFRAME with respect to removing ISBD punctuation. After discussion, the committee endorsed the removal of ISBD punctuation from bibliographic records. Phil agreed to investigate whether it is possible to add an addendum to the report with the committee’s conclusions.
  • Jenn pointed out that ending punctuation is “low hanging fruit” that we can stop doing right away. The group discussed whether it might make sense to cease using ending punctuation immediately.  Amy pointed out that ending punctuation causes problems when cross-walking.  If we make this statement, it might have more impact in the metadata creation world.

 

Action: Jenn, Amy and Éva will work with Phil on statement with PCC responding to the report. Getting rid of punctuation -- removing trailing punctuation right away; the rest as we move to BIBFRAME.

 

  1. Session proposals for Midwinter and Annual 2014

Schema.org for Annual.

Process:

There should be a form on the ALA website (ALCTS or LITA), and it goes to the committee and they review it. Submit to both ALCTS (Amy) and LITA (Éva) for a joint proposal. If the proposal cannot be sponsored in person, we may consider an electronic presentation (Webinar).

 

Options:

  • Consider a discussion at Midwinter rather than a Business meeting (conduct business via conference calls). Use our time for our business meeting for discussion instead.  Agreed.
  • Consider virtual ALA

 

Details:

  • Get word out via email lists in early January.
  • Ask for room space for 100.
  • Prevent a time conflict. Jenn suggested that we figure out what groups we do not want to conflict with and propose a time to  ALCTS.  (MARC Advisory – Sat at 10:30, ALCTS All Committee- Sat at 8:30). We want a time on Saturday or Sunday with minimal conflicts.
  • The group agreed to ask for Saturday 1-2:30.

Action: Jenn will contact Charles Wilt (ALCTS) and Melissa Prentiss (LITA) to work on time change.

  1. Getting started on some kind of visualization/relationship explanation output
  • Goal: advancing understanding of non-MARC metadata with librarians involved in resource description metadata becoming more involved.
  • Since we’re doing a program at annual, maybe we should have something deliverable coming out of the program?  Using schema.org might be something fairly easy to do.
  • Use the program as a way to get people excited about the topic – as a starting point.

How to raise knowledge and awareness:

  • Programs, documents, examples. Consider our role to facilitate rather than to maintain it.
  • Dh+lib (http://acrl.ala.org/dh/) that may be used as a model.  Let’s harness other people’s time and energy.
  • LC’s digital preservation blog is good - ‘The Signal’  (http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/) offers different perspectives. Might be a good model
More...

Online Doc ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee, Midwinter Conference 2014 Meeting Agenda 2014-01-26

by Jennifer Riley on Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 07:33 am

ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

Midwinter Conference Meeting Agenda

January 26, 2014

1:00-2:30pm

Convention Center 119B

Please note: we will not be providing print copies of past minutes at this meeting. If you would like to have copies at the meeting, please retrieve them from the links in the agenda. 

ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

Midwinter Conference Meeting Agenda

January 26, 2014

1:00-2:30pm

Convention Center 119B

Please note: we will not be providing print copies of past minutes at this meeting. If you would like to have copies at the meeting, please retrieve them from the links in the agenda. 

  1. Approval of past meeting minutes
    1. ALA Annual 2013 http://connect.ala.org/node/209733
    2. August 16, 2013 http://connect.ala.org/node/217578
    3. January 17, 2014 http://connect.ala.org/node/217223
  2. Planning for schema.org program at Annual
  3. Issues arising from BIBFRAME Forum at Midwinter
  4. Statement on PCC report on internal MARC field punctuation
  5. Planning for community curated metadata news/awareness site
  6. Discussion of further projects we should undertake
More...

Online Doc ALCTS / LITA Metadata Standards Committee Meeting Minutes

by Amy Rudersdorf on Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:05 am

January 17 Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Eva Balcovac, Jenn Riley, Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Erik Mitchell, Bonnie Parks, Amy Rudersdorf, Jon Solomon

Notes

1. NISO CCM liaison

January 17 Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Eva Balcovac, Jenn Riley, Denise Bennett, Kevin Clair, Janet Lee-Smeltzer, Erik Mitchell, Bonnie Parks, Amy Rudersdorf, Jon Solomon

Notes

1. NISO CCM liaison

  • Eva will remain formal liaison; need to find a replacement. Either way, the liaison must be a formal member of the NISO committee.
  • She is going to work on establishing a formal relationship before her position times out on this committee after ALA 2014.

2. Following up with PCC about changing practices for MARC punctuation

  • PCC Statement response felt language was too strong.
  • Committee agrees that the language should be strong, but discussed slight changes to the statement. Willing to change slightly. Will go back to PCC and express our interest in a strong statement; unanimous decision from committee

3. Getting started on a community information sharing program

  • Blogging / guest curators / Digital Humanities
  • Create a blog similar to http://acrl.ala.org/dh/ (1600 twitter followers) where the "community" curates it. Committee members would not be responsible for curating it.
  • Primary location for any committee outputs
  • Midwinter: will continue conversation about what sorts of topics the blog would include, how it would be structured, etc.

4. Getting started on documentation demonstrating library and industry metadata relationships

  • Leave this for Midwinter discussion

5. Agenda and logistics for in person meeting at midwinter

  • Sunday, January 27, 1-2:30pm
  • Need to formally approve minutes from this meeting and a few preceding
  • Will send out an email to draft notes; won't bring paper copies
  • ALA presenter suggestions (topic schema.org)
    • Jason Ronallo: would be interested in presenting at ALA, but is working on securing funding from his institution.
    • Silvia Southwick: Declined.
    • Dan Scott: Eva will talk to him.
    • Mark Matienzo: No.
    • Tom Johnson (OSU): Bonnie. 
    • Chris Beer (Stanford) - also Greg Mercer (Graduate School of Business)
    • Richard Wallis (OCLC)
  • Kevin volunteered to take notes at Midwinter.
  • Agenda for Midwinter
    • Approve minutes
    • PCC statement
    • Annual presentation planning 
    • Blog discussion
    • Other communication outlets needed?
    • Issues arising out of Bibframe Forum
More...

Online Doc ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee, Conference Call Agenda 2014-01-17

by Jennifer Riley on Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 04:46 pm

ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee

Conference Call Agenda 2014-01-17

3:-4:30pm EST / 12-1:30pm PST

 

  1. Update re: liaison to the NISO CCM
  2. Following up with PCC about changing practices for MARC punctuation
  3. Getting started on a community information sharing program
  4. Getting started on documentation demonstrating library and industry metadata relationships
  5. Agenda and logistics for in person meeting at midwinter

Pages

The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee will play a leadership role in the creation and development of metadata standards for bibliographic information. The Committee will review and evaluate proposed standards; recommend approval of standards in conformity with ALA policy; establish a mechanism for the continuing review of standards (including the monitoring of further development); provide commentary on the content of various implementations of standards to concerned agencies; and maintain liaison with concerned units within ALA and relevant outside agencies.

Subscribe to ALCTS / LITA Metadata Standards Committee