Warning message

ALA Connect User logins are disabled for a temporary "gray-out" period, to prevent new posts while we upgrade into the New Connect. This gray-out period will begin on March 26th, and the new site will be launched on April 25th.

Users can use Search to view public content. Logins will be reinstated and users can create new posts, upload files, etc. post launch.

Thank you for your patience in cooperation. Check out training resources and schedule at:

Or contact Julianna Kloeppel for training or Pam Akins with questions/concerns.
Go to:
Online Doc
Meeting Request
Matthew Goldner's picture

Technology and Industry Interest Group, ALA Annual 2012 meeting minutes

LITA Technology and Industry IG – Inaugural meeting

June 23, 2012

ALA Annual



Marshall Breeding*          Independent                                   

Kirsten Leonard                               Private Academic Library Network of Indiana                     

Mark Tullos                        Proquest                                            

Chiat Chew                         University of Minneapolis           

Cecelia Boone                   Minitex

Todd Carpenter                                NISO

 *Interest Group co-chair


Previously Circulated Agenda:

  1. Welcome and Introductions. Review purpose of Technology and Industry IG
  2. Discuss what is currently happening in creation of APIs, data services and shared business services
    1. Ask librarians to share projects they are involved with and intended outcomes
    2. Ask suppliers to explain any new services they are creating and how they propose them to be used
    3. Ask for any partnering programs going on between libraries, libraries and suppliers, suppliers
    4. Discuss proposed white paper from Mid-winter meeting
      1. Still deemed useful?
      2. Knowledge of other groups working on similar publication


The agenda was largely tabled given the limited turnout.  Instead the discussion focused on promotion of the interest groups goals and development of specific action items. Those present felt that this topic is of high interest given the direction of the industry.

Action Items:

Action Item (Matt Goldner, Kirsten Leonard, Marshall Breeding): Increase awareness of the group.

  • Obtain space on the LITA wiki or other wiki consistent with the branding of LITA (K. Leonard)
    • Post the outline of the white paper on a get the white paper
    • Request feedback on the objectives of the white paper
    • Request input and promote broader collaboration on the white paper and other efforts through the wiki
    • Post goals on the LITA and other relevant listservs (M. Goldner, K. Leonard, M. Breeding)
      • Communicate group goals
      • Publicize the wiki once it is created
      • Publicize the IG list
      • Talk with Carl Grant to develop other outreach efforts (M. Breeding)
      • Meeting venue at Annual was low in visibility. Closer or more convenient location.  Increase publicity of meeting location and directions for ALAMW13
      • Perhaps a higher profile presentation at ALA?
      • Marshall will draft and distribute by email and on the wiki to get input to get it started rather than pursuing the small group
      • Schedule four WebEx meetings of the white paper group between now and midwinter
      • Create a Doodle poll to schedule as soon as possible (K. Leonard)

Action Item (Matt Goldner, Marshall Breeding): Increase visibility of meeting venue for Midwinter

Action Item (Marshall Breeding): Complete mission statement for the group

Action Item (M. Goldner, K. Leonard): Organize the completion of the White Paper for Midwinter


U of Minneapolis looking at developing an RFP for discovery services.

C. Boone notes that OCLC’s communications on web scale have helped the larger community begin to understand how cloud computing works and its potential including the increased direct interaction with other services at the campus level and the possibility of expanding library services and roles.

K. Leonard noted that the Knowledge Base is the critical and an expensive piece of the new environments.  Creating a business model and effective mechanisms for subscribing/purchasing KB content for use with separate systems is desirable for libraries.

What we are facilitating in this group is how libraries may use APIs that go above and beyond the component systems. Multi-tenancy SaaS have changed the methodology that libraries interact with the software.  Because they can't change the system, the focus is instead on expanding the system through APIs. This is why APIs are so important because it is the only way that libraries add local value and local functionality in the web scale frame.  It is more effective to expose services rather than touch the code that - easier, faster, less problematic to go with services in an API than updating code.

 Respectfully submitted by K. Leonard