Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Picture
David Vess's picture

LITA Web Coordinating Committee Meeting Report - 2012 Annual

 

Table of Contents

1. Attendees

2. Report

3. Strategic Plan Projects Status

4. Project 5 - LITA Events web page planning

5. Project 1 - Communication Channels

6. Project 2 - LITABlog Renewal

7. Project 4 - Sandbox

 

 


 

1. Attendees

Melissia Pretence (LITA Staff), Tara Lannen-Stanton (committee member), Patrick Confer (committee member), Lauren Pressley (LITA Board Liaison to WCC), David Vess (WCC Chair).

2. Report

WCC Report is posted in our Connect space

3. Strategic Plan Projects Status

 In 2010, WCC was charged with five projects that map to the LITA Strategic Plan.  Since then only the website migration project (project 3) has been completed.  The group went through the list.  LITA Chair-Elect Zoe Marshall stopped by to let the group know they could work on more current website issues or needs--especially if the strategic plan projects were outdated.  The group decided to focus meeting time on Project 5, since it focused on a significant aspect of the LITA website.  Other projects were examined as time allowed.

 

 


 

 

4. Project 5 - LITA Events web page planning

Overview/Status

Different aspects of this project happened to be completed with the website migration in 2011.  The LITA Conferences page is still a significant spot on the site that could use more attention.  It has a number of user-experience, marketing, and technical issues to grapple with.  Additionally, work on this area of the site could lead to some generalizable solutions for all ALA groups who wish to promote conference events in a consistent manner.

The 2010 LITA Emerging Leaders Project Portal P called for improved access to conference event information.  ALA’s Conference Scheduler addresses many needs around accessing conference information.

The conference scheduler was felt to be a part of the solution with this page.  Here’s the data from a requirements gathering session for Jenny Levine.

Requirements Gathering Notes

  • this is a marketing page - highlights of LITA events - the development of Scheduler makes purpose of this page unclear
  • dealing with this is worth some effrot. perhaps the outcome could be a conference webpage template or options that might appeal to all ala groups?
  • perhaps what PLA has done in a table (see attached pdf) is where we want this page template to go?  Highlights at top with the full list or selected list below.  A springboard to the Scheduler?
    • have embed(s) from scheduler on this page
    • make the embeds from Scheduler be the mobile version of Scheduler
    • make embedded entries be interactive
    • allow for quick look at whole schedule on the conference page with quick ways to:
      • 1. add them to your schedule
      • 2. subscribe to changes (buttons would need to work in the embedded list.)
    • we know that the lists would be very long, perhaps this page template could display the 'big' events we want to highlight as well as select catagories?
    • make embeds never require right to left scrolling
  • if the goal of seamless authentication across ala sites can be realized, perhaps:
    • the entries in embedded lists can have have all their functional buttons like or at least, the Add, Notify Me of Changes button?
    • if Add buttons can work across sites, then perhaps, the add button should be a very well-branded graphic (would be helpful accross the association web presence)
  • we believe that scheduler can go up earlier
    • background: Scheduler doesn't go live until event locations are added to entries; event information goes into Scheduler much earlier -- we propose that information be made public without location information;
    • Group agreed we don’t care about event location in the early stages of our ‘event shopping’ process.  We care about event location during conference (perhaps a little bit of time before conference).
    • Seeing basic meeting and program information earlier in the process is all we need to add things to our ‘carts’
    • Locations can be added later as long as they:
      • populate automatically to entries in our saved schedules and/or
      • can generate update notifications for attendees
    • we realize that accessibility issues around embeds are complex, would have to be considered, and could limit outcomes
  • preservation of conference session information
    • this is a goal for us.  We have great historic conference information on our website.  All the code for these pages has already been cleaned up last year.  This is something we hope Conference Scheduler can do --  maintain event information)
      • if not the goal, is there a way to export data (an accessible table, etc) with all events information for saving elsewhere in a file or on the website?  (staff/wcc work flow)

Action Items

  • Send questions for Jenny Levine (DV)
    • Could Scheduler go live in Feb without event location information?
      • We think locations can be added later as long as they:
        • populate automatically to entries in our saved schedules and/or
        • can generate update notifications for attendees
      • Can we explore different flavors of Scheduler embeds?
        • mobile version only embeds
        • embed lists that have buttons (Add button, Subscribe button at least)
          • depends on seamless authentication (?)
      • FYI to her about our Requirements Gathering Notes above.
  • Recruit WCC members to take this on, work out details, and implement (DV)

 

 


 

 

5. Project 1 - Communication Channels

 

5.1 Transfer Wiki Content to Connect

Process Draft

  • identify individual groups (committee or IG) with wiki content
  • contact each group leader(s) with list of links to content
    • keep a google spreadsheet of contact info and contact dates
  • supply the leaders a matrix for content evaluation:
    • does this content represent an important part of your group’s history? (decisions, votes, reports, publications, etc.)
    • what can be deleted?
  • identify orphan material (material not associated with existing groups)
    • decisions, votes, reports, publications, etc
    • see question below for Jenny
  • Time Frame: 6 Months, w/ monthly email reminders

Action Items

  • Contact Jenny with Questions (DV):
    • Will historic groups have a home in connect going forward?  If so, may we send packages of historic group information and documents to her for inclusion in Connect?  We are willing to develop a form / checklist of things that need to be done before such a space can be made for such groups -- including coming up with a matrix to justify the need to save a particular group’s data.
  • Recruit WCC members to take this on, work out details, and implement (DV):
    • Develop a matrix for wiki content evaluation (have other ALA groups done so?)
    • explore wiki and start documenting contacts for content and orphans
    • gather contact information for groups (See the IG and Committees pages on the website)

 

5.2 Email list Promotion

“Add a description, purpose, and intended audience of each LITA email list to ALA connect.  This can be accomplished by asking email list owners to add an entry.”

  • data on all email lists already being gathered by david vess from interest group leaders since 2012 MW
  • dv working with LITA staff to modify guidelines to apply to all email lists
    • with LITA staff involvement, intend to have all email list pages in sympa have updated information as well as consistent automated monthly reminders that point to guidelines (or some other sustainable approach)
  • All interest group emails are already listed on IG websites under “Resources” heading
  • DV will develop a directory of email lists for website that relates to the email guidelines
  • wish to request an email list field and description in ALA Connect spaces.

Action Items

  • Send request to Jenny Levine (DV) -- Request a consistent place to display email lists on group pages in ALA Connect.
  • Recruit WCC members to take this on, work out details, and implement (DV)

 

5.3 Social Networking

“Identify point person/people for Twitter and Facebook.”

  • LITA Staff doing that currently.  Could have some WCC members take that on or help support it.
  • Recruit WCC members to take this on, work out details, and implement (DV)

“Make sure the blog is pushing to Twitter and that Twitter is pushing to Facebook.

  • Recruit WCC members to take this on, work out details, and implement (DV)

 

5.4 Connect on website

“Prominently feature ALA Connect on the LITA website.”

  • Recruit WCC members to take this on, work out details, and implement (DV)

 

 


 

6. Project 2 -  LITABlog Renewal

 

 


 

 

7. Project 4 - Sandbox

“Sandbox (Experiment—become a hive for innovation.  Provide an environment to experiment with new technologies.)”

AttachmentSize
PLA-Conference-Page-Example.pdf807.65 KB