Dance Librarians Discussion Group ALA Annual 2012 Meeting Agenda
Dance Librarians Discussion Group Agenda
(as part of the Arts Section All Discussion Groups Meeting)
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel, Trillium Room B
Sunday, June 24, 2012
1:30 - 2:30 pm
1. Welcome and introductions
3. Dance Heritage Coalition (DHC) updates
Genie Guerard, UCLA Library and Dance Heritage Coalition Board Secretary/Treasurer and Libby Smigel, Dance Heritage Coalition Executive Director
• “Secure Media Network,” Phase 2
• “Hidden Collections” program CLIR grant for processing collections (part of “Foundations of Dance Research” project)
• IMLS Fellows for 2012 progress report and call for 2013 applicants
• Presentation: Drawing on their assignments at DHC member institutions, current Fellows, Irlanda Jacinto and J. P. "Penny" Huffman, will briefly share their insights into how librarians can tap the interdisciplinary significance of dance, both to enrich dance studies, and, to raise the importance of "dance" within the academy. Irlanda is currently a student at the University of Arizona; she is stationed at the UCLA Library for her fellowship. Penny is a recent graduate of the University of British Columbia; her fellowship is being hosted by the Museum of Performance & Design in San Francisco.
4. Discussion topics:
• Documenting local dance: Do your collections already include a significant amount of material from the local dance community? What, if anything, are you doing to collect material on the work being created and/or presented currently in your own community?
• Open discussion