Unconference Subgroup - Chat 1 Notes
Last modified by John Jackson on Mon, 03/05/2012 - 4:13 pm
Key Points Addressed During Unconference Subgroup Chat on 3/5/2012 (http://connect.ala.org/node/170862)
- Micah recommended structuring the Unconference like a THATCamp event. He volunteered to contact Amanda French, the overall THATCamp coordinator to discussing possibilities, branding, etc. For more information on THATCamps, see http://aha2012.thatcamp.org/ and http://thatcamp.org/02/10/the-unconference-is-alive/
- THATCamps utilize a ready-made Wordpress install to help organize and plan the events of the day, as well as advertise the event to attendees. The name of the Unconference/THATCamp will depend on Micah’s discussion with Amanda French, but recommendations included THATCamp ACRL, THATCamp+, and THATCamp [Libraries]
- The Unconference will run all day Friday from 8:30-5:00, with breaks coordinated with ACRL's schedule: Friday, April 12, 2013 Wabash 1 in the Convention Center. 8:30 - 5:00 / Session 8:30-9:30 / Exhibit break 9:30 - 11 / Session 11 - 12 / Lunch 12 - 1:30 / Session 1:30 - 2:30 / Exhibits Break 2:30 - 4:00 / Session 4 - 5 pm.
- While we cannot cater food for the event, we suggested recommending nearby locations to keep attendees together during the break and avoid the "lunch melt" of idea and momentum.
- The idea of lightning rounds (discussed at Midwinter) translates to the THATCamp practice of "Dork Shorts." We considered scheduling these either (1) at the last hour of the Unconference or (2) during breaks throughout the day, depending on demand.
- John J. will organize a list of needs and a schedule for Battledecks, to be scheduled following the Unconference at either 5:30-7 or 6:00-7:30, to close before the All Conference Reception that night at 8:00. Last ACRL, 200-300 attended Battledecks.