2012 Emerging Leaders Team D [Community] Archived

Closed group
In: 2012 Emerging Leaders Projects
4 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Picture Photo of Team D with their poster

by Carli Spina on Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:00 pm

Team D with their poster.

Discussion Team D Poster

by Carli Spina on Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 03:56 pm

Discussion Team D Final Report

by Kathleen Burlingame on Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

Please find attached Team D's Final Report and Proposal to PARS in .pdf format.

Online Doc Minutes of the June 8th Meeting

by Carli Spina on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:05 pm

At this meeting we finalized our workflow for our remaining tasks. We started with a discussion of our handout. We discussed adding free tool options that allow smaller groups to hold meetings online. It was decided that we would add Skype and Google Hangouts as free options as space permits. We also discussed how we would rearrange information to accommodate this addition and it was decided that we would move our contact information to the first page and shorten the best practices list accordingly.

At this meeting we finalized our workflow for our remaining tasks. We started with a discussion of our handout. We discussed adding free tool options that allow smaller groups to hold meetings online. It was decided that we would add Skype and Google Hangouts as free options as space permits. We also discussed how we would rearrange information to accommodate this addition and it was decided that we would move our contact information to the first page and shorten the best practices list accordingly. Action Items: Carli will finalize the list of tools by adding Skype and Google Hangouts and shortening the descriptions of the other items to ensure that it will fit on one page. Sheli will make the final edits to the best practices.

We next discussed the report and agreed that this was almost complete. We discussed the order of the appendices and the remaining formatting changes that need to be made. We agreed that all changes would be made this weekend and everyone will sign off on the final draft by Sunday night. We will only have another call if necessary after reviewing the final draft. Action Items: Kathleen will finish editing the remaining sections including the organization responses. She will also clean up the Delicious account so we can make it public.

Finally we agreed that we will bring 50 copies of the handout and two copies of the final report to our presentation at ALA Annual. Action Items: Erica will print and bring 50 copies of the handout and Carli will print and bring two copies of the final report.

We set a time of 2pm EST on Monday, June 11th for our final call, but we only plan to have the call if we are unable to sign off on the final draft on Sunday evening.

More...

Online Doc Minutes of the June 4th Meeting

by Carli Spina on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm

We began the meeting with a final discussion of the poster. We each reviewed the poster and identified the last few changes that needed to be made. After everyone had signed off on the final details, Sheli agreed to coordinate the printing of the poster at her institution. Action Items: Sheli will print the poster and bring it to the ALA Annual Conference.

We began the meeting with a final discussion of the poster. We each reviewed the poster and identified the last few changes that needed to be made. After everyone had signed off on the final details, Sheli agreed to coordinate the printing of the poster at her institution. Action Items: Sheli will print the poster and bring it to the ALA Annual Conference.

We next discussed the final steps necessary to finish the proposal and handout. In light of upcoming travel plans, we set a goal of finalizing the documents by Monday, June 11th. We agreed that the handout would consist of best practices and a summary of some of the most frequently used software options. We also agreed that all of our work should be posted to ALA Connect. Action Items: Kathleen will finish her section of the final report, as well as reformatting and finalizing the appendices and our Delicious account. Sheli will work on a first draft of the conclusion, to which we will all then contribute. Erica will post our documents to ALA Connect. Carli will finish the software tool summaries for the handout.

We next discussed the items that we will need to bring to ALA Annual for our presentation. We agreed that everyone will bring their business cards to hand out. We also agreed that we will print and bring 50-70 copies of the handout, two computers and a couple copies of our final report.

We then set our next call for 10:30am EST on June 8th.

More...

Discussion Appendix A: PARS Member Survey Results

by Erica Findley on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 09:49 pm

Attached is a PDF containing the full survey results including answers to open ended questions. These survey results are further examined in the Proposal to follow.

 

Online Doc Minutes of the May 30th Meeting

by Carli Spina on Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 03:31 pm

Our meeting focused primarily on preparation of the poster that we will present on June 22nd. After much discussion, we decided to keep our poster divided into three sections as we had previously discussed. The left column will have information on the PARS assignment and how we approached gathering information and developing our recommendations. The middle section will include charts, graphs and quotations to give an overview of the data that we collected from the PARS membership. The right column will summarize our recommendations and include credit information.

Our meeting focused primarily on preparation of the poster that we will present on June 22nd. After much discussion, we decided to keep our poster divided into three sections as we had previously discussed. The left column will have information on the PARS assignment and how we approached gathering information and developing our recommendations. The middle section will include charts, graphs and quotations to give an overview of the data that we collected from the PARS membership. The right column will summarize our recommendations and include credit information. We also plan to include a QR code to link our audience to the Parsnips Connect presence. We determined that we need to finalize our poster by Wednesday, June 6th to leave enough time to have it printed prior to the Annual Meeting. We will finalize each section of the poster by Monday, June 4th in time for our next call so that we can finalize it and have it printed by this deadline. Action items: Kathleen will check into making our Connect page publicly viewable. The revisions of the poster will be divided as follows: Erica will finalize the center column, Sheli will finalize the acknowledgments and top left column, Kathleen will finalize the title bar and create the QR code, and Carli will revise and edit the Recommendations section.

We next discussed the handout that we will distribute at our poster session. We decided that it should be limited to a single page front an back. It will focus on best practices and software recommendations. The handout will also include the QR code linking the audience to our Connect site. We also decided that we will make 70 copies of the final handout for our presentation. Action Items: We will each make additions to the best practices section of the handout.

We also discussed finalizing our proposal. The bibliography and appendices are virtually complete, but the proposal requires some additional changes and a conclusion. Action Items: Kathleen will finalize changes to her section of the proposal. Once that is complete, Carli will export the proposal to Word for final reformatting and revision. All group members will contribute to the conclusion.  

We set our next meeting for Monday, June 4th at 11am EST.

 

More...

Online Doc Minutes of the May 22nd Meeting

by Carli Spina on Thu, May 24, 2012 at 07:53 pm

We started the meeting with a discussion of the infographic. Erica noted that Tableau Public did not have features that go much beyond those available in Excel but that we need to finalize our plan for which types of charts we would want to use before we can move forward with creating charts and infographics with any tool.

We started the meeting with a discussion of the infographic. Erica noted that Tableau Public did not have features that go much beyond those available in Excel but that we need to finalize our plan for which types of charts we would want to use before we can move forward with creating charts and infographics with any tool.

We decided that our next order of business needs to be finalizing the plan for our poster. We discussed what type of layout we plan to use. We intend to use the three part template circulated by Sheli as the basis for our poster. We agreed that we want to include text about the original project assignment, information on how we approached the project, charts and graphics representing the survey feedback we received and our recommendations on the poster. We next discussed which sorts of charts we were interested in seeing. Our final decision was to divide the poster into three sections in the style of a trifold poster. The left side will include text on the original project as assigned and our approach to the project, the center will include graphs and charts, and the right side will include our final recommendations. After a discussion, we also decided that we will use the ALCTS PARS color scheme from the group website as the basis for our poster’s color scheme.  Action Items: By Tuesday, May 29th, we will all have saved images, logos, charts and graphs to our Dropbox account and we will have tweaked the draft language in the proposal. Kathleen will send our draft recommendations to Tara and Ann Marie to give them an opportunity to comment. When the language in our draft proposal has been tweaked and is close to final format, Carli will move it to a Word document and make any necessary formatting changes. It can then be shared via Dropbox.

 

Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 30th at 4:30pm EST.

 

More...

Online Doc Minutes of the May 16th Meeting

by Carli Spina on Fri, May 18, 2012 at 02:52 pm

We began our meeting by discussing the current draft of the proposal. We decided that each section should be approximately one page long and that the final proposal can be edited for length later if necessary. We also discussed the format of the annotated bibliography. Sheli downloaded and reformatted it to be consistent. After a discussion, we decided that all works cited would be added to the annotated bibliography with a brief annotation. We also focused on discussing and editing our main recommendations with an aim of finalizing these so that we can send them to PARS for review.

We began our meeting by discussing the current draft of the proposal. We decided that each section should be approximately one page long and that the final proposal can be edited for length later if necessary. We also discussed the format of the annotated bibliography. Sheli downloaded and reformatted it to be consistent. After a discussion, we decided that all works cited would be added to the annotated bibliography with a brief annotation. We also focused on discussing and editing our main recommendations with an aim of finalizing these so that we can send them to PARS for review. Action Items: We will finalize our recommendations by Friday so that they can be circulated to PARS for review. We will all also complete drafts of our proposal sections by next Monday evening.

Next, we briefly discussed our plans for the infographic and poster session. Tableau Public looks like a promising tool for creating graphs and chart, but may be more difficult to use than anticipated and requires a Windows computer. We will continue to test out options for our infographic with a plan of discussing this further at our next meeting.

We finished by discussing our next meeting time. Action Item: We will have our next call on Tuesday, May 22nd at 7pm EST.

More...

Pages

Many ALA members can afford to attend only one ALA conference each year—either Midwinter or Annual.  ALCTS’ Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS) is exploring ways to involve its members, keep its committees productive, and advance its overall mission while accommodating members’ changing conference attendance patterns. 

PARS is experimenting with technologies such as Skype and GoToMeeting to engage our virtual or absent committee members in meetings held at conferences, but we would like to challenge an Emerging Leaders team to go beyond merely “transmitting” our existing conference activities to envisioning a revised structure and/or focus for PARS conference participation.  PARS membership and leadership have an innovative spirit, and we welcome the energy and perspective that an Emerging Leaders team can bring to this project.

Considerations include:

  • Should PARS committees and interest groups meet at only one of the conferences?  If so which?  (PARS programming is limited to Annual; however, interest group programs and committee meetings occur at both conferences.) 
  • If PARS activity at one of the conferences is “minimized,” then what will be offered for PARS members (and other ALA members with an interest in preservation) who DO attend? 
  • If PARS conference activity centers on only one of the conferences, how can we prevent that conference from becoming over-scheduled?  PARS members want to have time to attend programming outside of preservation. 
  • Can this be used as an opportunity to collaborate and communicate across ALA sections?
  • What requirements does ALA have for the frequency of committee meetings?  Can PARS stay in compliance if it minimizes one of the conferences?
  • Can crucial PARS business be rescheduled, if it is normally done at the minimized conference?
  • Consider ALA committee terms and start dates, conference attendance statistics collected by ALA and/or ALCTS, and any efforts elsewhere in ALA to move to one meeting per year.

 

 

Expected Goals and Outcomes

 

(1)  Determine what PARS members value about conference attendance

(2)  Investigate how other professional associations have restructured their conferences in response to reduced travel funding

(3)  Develop a proposal(s) for how PARS can conduct its business and fulfill its mission while shifting its focus to one conference

(4)  Recommend transition steps that could be taken to implement the proposal(s)

 

Subscribe to 2012 Emerging Leaders Team D [Community]