RUSA Appointments Community
Greetings Section Appointing Officers,
As Vice-Chair for your RUSA section, you are receiving this message to help you make appointments for your year as chair: 2013-2014. You all have been made appointing officers in our appointments database for the appropriate committees. One thing I’d like to emphasize this year is that it is important to choose the appropriate title for your section representatives to the RUSA standing committees (See 2 below). There has been confusion about this in previous years.
1. INSTRUCTIONS AND OVERVIEW:
- Attached are two documents that will help you to make appointments. The documents, which are also in this Connect group, are:
- Instructions for using the appointments database to make your appointments – also in Connect.
- An overview of appointing process
- All the section committees that you are responsible for should appear on your screen when appointing in the database (you may check the RUSA rosters page for a current list of your section committees here: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/contact/rosters/index.cfm). If some are missing, please notify Andrea Hill, email@example.com, as soon as possible.
2. RUSA STANDING COMMITTEES: In addition to your section committees, when you login to the appointments database you should see the selected RUSA-level standing committees that have section representatives for which you are responsible for appointing. Those committees are:
Access to Information
Awards Coordinating Committee
Budget and Finance Committee (two members from each section)
Conference Program Coordinating Committee
Organization and Planning Committee
Publications and Communication Committee
Standards and Guidelines Committee
Each section appoints representatives to the RUSA standing committees above on the following schedule:
BRASS, CODES, and History appoint for odd years 2011-2013, 2013-2015, 2015-2017, etc.
MARS, RSS, and STARS appoint for even years, 2010-2012, 2012-2014, 2014-2016, etc.
You may notice in some sections that the schedule has not been adhered to in the past and you will have to make adjustments to the term to get back on track. If you need to make some adjustments to get back on schedule, please feel free to do so and notify the current RUSA President-Elect, Kathleen Kern, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selecting Titles for Representatives on RUSA Standing Committees: Don’t forget to select a title for each committee member you appoint. To do this, go to the Volunteers listing, click on Appoint Member and then pull down the menu for Appointment Type; choose the appropriate position. Positions and their codes that are most common within RUSA are:
MB = Member
ML = Member at Large
RA = RUSA Representative
R1 = BRASS Representative
R2 = CODES Representative
R3 = HS Representative
R4 = MARS Representative
R9 = RSS Representative
R8 = STARS Representative
If you find that these options do not appear for you when you are making the appointments, please contact Andrea Hill, email@example.com, as soon as possible.
5. HELP!: If you experience any problems making appointments, do not see all your committees, or have any other questions, please contact Andrea Hill, firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. RUSA APPOINTMENT COMMUNITY IN CONNECT:
To turn on your email notifications for the RUSA Appointment Connect community (http://connect.ala.org/node/153360):
Login to ALA Connect, www.connect.ala.org, using your ALA login.
- Go To your account (top right on screen)
- Go to “Edit my notifications”
- Click on the checkbox to the right of the group you want to receive email notifications for (i.e. RUSA Appointments) and click “submit.”
Thanks to all of you for this very important work. Please feel free to send me questions and constructive feedback to help improve the process – we want to make sure your experience is a good one now and in the future, and that you have all the support you need!
Executive Director, ASCLA/RUSA
American Library Association
50 East Huron
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: (800) 545-2433 x4395
Direct: (312) 280-4395
Fax: (312) 280-5273