2011 ALA ORLC Meeting Minutes
ALA/EBSS Online Learning Research Committee Meeting
Date: June 25, 2011
Name of person submitting minutes: Mona Anne Niedbala
Members present: Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielat, Joshua Becker, Elaine Thornton, Mona Anne Niedbala
Members excused: Sharon Naylor, Katherine Dabbour (virtual member)
Members absent: Amy Thornley, Travis Bonnett
Guests: Susan Wortman, Marilyn Nabua Ochoa
- Welcome and Introductions: Mona welcomed members
- Minutes from ALA midwinter 2011 were approved
- Members discussed about current projects, recent accomplishments, presentations, and publications
- OLRC Toolkit: Mona reorganized the “Learning Theories” section. Lisa suggested that the “Learning Theories” section should have two categories: theoretical and applied. Marilyn agreed and suggested to separate the content in two sections and label them for easy access. Lisa suggested creating links for cross-referencing. Mona suggested that the bibliography cover the content in all sections. Veronica will send citations to Josh; the “Bibliography” should contain two types of resources, subscription and free resources. Mona suggested the selection of a committee member for maintaining the Toolkit. Lisa proposed to move the Toolkit to Google Sites and have a backup. Google Sites will host the working documents and EBSS Wiki will be the publishing place.
It was decided that by the end of July the new committee members would select their Toolkit sections.
Veronica will find information about a tool that can be used to record changes made on the Toolkit page.
It was decided to make the “Online Discussion” a separate section of the Toolkit.
Members discussed about future projects: a committee presentation on the applications of the OLRC Toolkit and a how-to-do virtual book based on the Toolkit containing lesson plans, instructional design of learning objects, interactive elements, learning exercises, and rubrics. Lisa suggested that the main sections of the book should be pedagogy, how to implement it, and tools for delivering instruction.
- Designate a coordinator/coordinators who would maintain the toolkit
- Talk with former and current members who want to maintain the content on individual pages of the Toolkit
- Restructure Pedagogy and Online Conferencing sections of the Toolkit: separate the theoretical part from the practical part for the Pedagogy, Discussion, and Online Conferencing sections
- New members will submit proposal for revisions until the end of July
- Create another category for Online Discussion, remove it from the Pedagogy section, and have the link crossed-referenced to the Pedagogy section; in the Pedagogy section, have it crossed-referenced to the Online Discussion
- Investigate the possibility of creating a presentation or current topic discussion on the applications of the Toolkit and on writing and publishing an interactive multimedia virtual book
The meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.