Future of BIGWIG
The BIGWIG Showcase for Monday, June 27th, 2011 has been CANCELED.
With the interest group's upcoming renewal, the IG co-chairs would like to discuss with the community the future of the group. BIGWIG was born of the time when blogs and wikis were new and mysterious and BIGWIG stepped in to move LITA forward when the existing structure of the organization could not adapt quickly enough. However, that time has passed, and it now seems that BIGWIG overlaps to varying degrees with these other LITA entities/events:
- Emerging Technologies Interest Group
- Mobile Computing Interest Group
- Top Technology Trends Panel Discussion
- Coffee and Conversation with Experts
- Web Coordinating Committee (now handles LITA Blog and Wiki)
- Various task forces formed to investigate solutions to technological challenges for LITA or even ALA that BIGWIG previously explored or supported
- Should this IG refocus and develop in a different direction? If so, what should that be?
- Is the Social Software Showcase, which was canceled this year, still a good format for a program? Is there another approach for programming?
- Does the brand of BIGWIG and the energy and enthusiasm surrounding it need to be continued with or without an Interest Group behind it? How does the brand stay alive and meaningful?
- If this IG is to continue, it will need enthusiastic leadership. How do we attract new membership?
- Should BIGWIG evolve into something other than an Interest Group? If so, what would that be?
- Or should BIGWIG be retired having served its purpose?
We've had our BIGWIG meeting already at this ALA, and 5 people in attendance. It's now time for your thoughts. Pease consider participating in this poll and by adding your comments below.
Rachel Vacek and Michele Mizejewski, BIGWIG Co-chairs