Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
Mona Niedbala's picture

2011 ALA Midwinter OLRC Minutes

Online Learning Research Committee

2011 ALA Midwinter

Meeting Minutes

 

Present: Mona Anne Niedbala, Lisa Baures, Joshua Becker, Veronica Bielat, Sharon Naylor, Elaine Thornton, Kathy Dabbour, Laura Gladding (guest)

Absent: Travis Bonnett, Amy Thornley, Sarah Cantrell

I.     Welcome and introductions

 Mona welcomed the committee’s members and participants introduced themselves.

 II.  Approval of 2010 ALA Annual Meeting minutes

 2010 ALA Annual Meeting minutes were approved. There were no corrections.

III. New projects and presentations

Mona talked about the ALA Midwinter online Current Topic Discussion that she and Lisa would moderate on January 21st, 2011, at 11 a.m. (ET).  Mona showed the webpage with information about the discussion at http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/about/sections/ebss/ebssconferenceinfo/EBSSVirtualMidwinter2011.cfm. Lisa invited other committee members to participate.

IV.  OLRC Toolkit Project

 1. Pedagogy and Discussion (Mona, Lisa, Elaine)

  • Mona talked about reorganizing the information in the “Learning Theories” subsection and having the definition of the learning theory, names of psychologists, and links to psychologists’ websites and to models of using the learning theory for online teaching and learning. Lisa suggested that Mona consult the ACRL ‘s Best Practices for Online Learning and Teaching document.
  • Mona also talked about adding content, “Ten Best Practices for Teaching Online”, to the “Best Practices” subsection.
  • Lisa described the content of the Glossary and the instructional design models that she added to the “Instruction Models/Designs” subsection. The committee decided to create a separate page for the Glossary and that access to the Glossary should be available on each page of the Toolkit. Lisa invited the other members of the committee to submit additional suggestions and ideas for the subsection.
  • Because the meeting ran longer than it was planned, Elaine did not have a chance to talk about the “Facilitating Online Discussions” subsection.

2. Learning Materials/Objects

  • Kathy talked about reorganizing the work on the section with Amy as Sarah withdrew from the committee. The committee decided to separate the quizzes from the surveys. There were discussions about the definition of learning objects. Mona will email everybody the link to the OLRC article with the definition that was used by the committee to conduct the survey, conduct research, and write the article. There were also discussions about including individual institutional links. The problem was that many of them require a password for access. The committee decided, 6 to 1, to only include open access learning objects resources. The committee also decided to focus the number of resources to a selective list of maximum six items. There were discussions about including the Web Authoring section in the Toolkit. The committee voted to only include free web authoring tools.

3.  Web Conferencing

  • Veronica talked about working on the section with Josh. The committee decided to only include open access web conferencing software resources in the “Web Conferencing” subsection.

4. Course/Content Management Systems

  • Veronica talked about Blackboard buying products and about the need to reorganize the information in the section. The committee decided to only include examples of librarian use of course management systems projects in this section.

5. Bibliography

  • Sharon and Josh talked about having this section ready before the holidays. Sharon talked about the overwhelming amount of information in this section and it was decided to be highly selective in regard to the number of resources included in each subsection of the “Bibliography.” The committee decided to reorganize the “Bibliography” to include general online learning resources and subject-specific resources based on the Toolkit sections.

Action Items:

  • The deadline for the second draft of the OLRC Toolkit to be March 31, 2011.
  • Mona will email all the committee members the link to the OLRC article which will be published in March 2011 in the College & Research Libraries.

 

The meeting adjourned at 12:50 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Mona Anne Niedbala

OLRC Chair