Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Meeting Request
Picture
Mona Niedbala's picture

ALA 2010 Annual Conference OLRC Meeting Minutes

EBSS OLRC Meeting

ALA Annual Conference

June 26, 2010

Date: Saturday, June 26th, 2010; 9:00 a.m.

Location: JW Marriott Capitol E

 

Name of person submitting minutes: Mona Anne Niedbala

 Members present: Lisa Baures, Veronica Bielat, Sharon Naylor, Sarah Cantrell, Lori Mestre, Beth Broyles, Mona Anne Niedbala

 Members absent: Travis James Bonnett, Jim Blansett, Katherine Strober Dabbour (virtual member)

 Agenda Items:

  • Welcome and Introductions: Mona welcomed members
  • Minutes from ALA Midwinter 2010 were approved
  • Members decided to have a virtual meeting for ALA Midwinter 2011
  • Update on OLRC projects:
  1. Mona and Lisa submitted a panel presentation proposal, “What Works? Sharing Best Practices for Teaching Information Literacy Online”, at ACRL National Conference 2011, based on our committee’s ACRL/IS Current Issue Discussion Group virtual discussion in January. Our committee has another presentation opportunity for a Virtual Conference Webcast at ACRL Annual Conference 2011. The application deadline is November 1st, 2010. Mona will email the information to the members of the committee.
  2. Mona and Veronica submitted a proposal, “Evidence-based Instructional Design and Information Literacy Assessment for Improving Student Achievement”, for a Current Topics Discussion at ALA Midwinter ACRL/IS Current Issue Discussion Groups.
  3. OLRC Toolkit: Lori moderated the discussion about the Toolkit. The Toolkit needs to be moved back to a wiki for editing capabilities. Lori created a tip sheet for editing. We need to assign Toolkit section work and establish deadlines for completing the conversion and the first update. Sarah suggested creating checklists for evaluating Toolkit resources. Lisa suggested that descriptions include information about the version of the product. The Toolkit categories need to be revised. The web conferencing and the pedagogy sections need to be expanded to include links and subsections, respectively.

Assigning Toolkit section work:

  • Course/Content Management section: will be simplified to include a product list, information about free and proprietary products, and links to specific websites. Veronica will convert the information to the ALA Connect Wiki and maintain it.
  • Learning Materials/Objects: Lori and Sarah will convert and maintain the section.
  • Social Networking will be eliminated and become a category of the Learning Objects section. Sharon will incorporate specific information about the social networking in the Bibliography.
  • Pedagogy and Discussion: Mona and Lisa will convert the information and manage the section.
  • Web Conferencing: Veronica will convert and update this section.
  • Bibliography: Sharon will convert and maintain this section.
  • Toolkit section order: Pedagogy and Discussion, Learning Materials/Objects, Web Conferencing, Course/Content Management Systems, and Bibliography

Toolkit work deadlines: August 15th for converting the Toolkit from the website to ALA Connect Wiki; November 1st for a first full update.

  1. OLRC “Creating Learning Objects for Information Literacy: An exploration of best practices” article: The article was accepted for publication by College & Research Libraries with revisions. The deadline for revisions is July 9th. Lori will revise it first and send it to the rest of the authors. Lisa suggested that we send out the survey again in the future and compare the results.
  • News and Highlights: Veronica, Lisa, Lori and Mona talked about presentations and projects that they are currently working on.
  • Action Items:
  1. Mona will revamp the OLRC ALA Connect page and will provide links to past discussion presentations.
  2. Mona will work on using keywords that would allow better archival/search of resources.
  3. Mona will create two email accounts for the Toolkit, one for content suggestions and one for questions.
  4. Members of the committee will finish the Toolkit resources transfer from the website to ALA Connect Wiki by August 15th, 2010.
  5. Members of the committee will finish the first complete update by November 1st.

 

Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 11:40 a.m.