Go to:
Discussion
Online Doc
File
Poll
Event
Picture
Anne Mitchell's picture

CRS Midwinter 2010 Executive Committee minutes

Sunday, January 17, 2010

10:30-noon

Fairmont Copley Plaza, Grand Ballroom

 

In attendance:

Connie Foster (Chair)

Paul Moeller (Chair-Elect)

Felicity Dykas (Past Chair)

Anne Mitchell (Secretary)

Ann Fath (Member-at-Large)

Maggie Horn (Member-at-Large)

Bonnie Parks (Member-at-Large)

Lori Kappmeyer (Education Committee)

Kurt Blythe (Research & Publications Committee/rep to ALCTS Publications Committee)

Clint Chamberlain (rep to ALCTS Planning Committee)

Linda Smith-Griffin (rep to NASIG)

 

Welcome and announcements (ALCTS President Mary Case)

  • Case introduced the preliminary ALCTS restructuring scenarios. The scenarios should be considered a conversation-starter; ALCTS might end up with any or none of the scenarios presented. The scenarios will be fleshed out after Midwinter and put forward to the membership. The goal of restructuring is to make the organization more future-oriented, flexible, and transparent.
  • Case articulated a need to consider ALCTS products and services in new ways and market them to new audiences.
  • President-elect Cynthia Whitacre reminded attendees that volunteers are vitally needed to fill committee positions. ALCTS members should be encouraged to fill out the committee volunteer form.

 

CRS welcome and introductions (Connie Foster)

  • Foster raised the possibility of foregoing the Monday CRS Executive Committee meeting at future conferences.
  • Foster anticipated a visit from Pamela Bluh and Cindy Hepfer from the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee later in the meeting.

 

2009 Annual minutes

  • Minutes were accepted without amendments. Paul Moeller will post the minutes to ALA Connect with no further approval required.

 

ALCTS Board highlights

  • Midwinter events: The ALCTS symposia, "“Living Digital: The Future of Information and the Role of the Library” and “And Now for Something Completely Different: Our Future from Outside the Box” had good attendance, drawing 90 and 65 attendees, respectively. Forty-five people attended the New Members Interest Group meeting. This interest group will coordinate with ALCTS 101 going forward.
  • Resolutions: The "year of research" resolution is going to ALCTS council.
  • Elections: A candidate for the chair of Collection Management and Development Section (CMDS) has withdrawn, so Millie Jackson will run unopposed.
  • Membership: Member loyalty is higher in ALCTS than in any other section, but membership is nonetheless down overall for ALCTS, and the section is seeking ways to make membership attractive. Membership reports show both a Continuing Resources Section and a Serials Section, so we are not confident that our membership figures are accurate.
  • Program planning: The Board discussed the program planning process, particularly how ALCTS could shorten the proposal process in order to ensure timely, dynamic programming that still meets the advance planning requirements of ALA. The Board also discussed business models for developing ALCTS content on an ongoing basis, such as parlaying interest group discussions into webinars or programs into publications.
  • Website: The Board discussed transitions to the ALA content management system and how to manage and maintain content in whatever system is used next. Existing content in Collage should be cleaned up in preparation for the eventual migration.
  • Restructuring: CRS discussion focused on concerns that areas of broad interest to serialists, including formal relationships with standards bodies such as NISO, might be compromised if CRS is disbanded and its committees and interest groups redistributed to areas of functional specialty (i.e. cataloging, acquisitions). Other concerns included the placement of interest groups (do they need to exist at the section level?), awards juries (does the expertise to recognize who is significant in specialized areas of the field exist at the division level?), and program planning (will we lose diversity of programming if separate sections are not involved?). Several individuals felt that innovation was lacking in even the most dramatic scenarios, and would have liked to see evidence of transformational change within ALCTS, not merely reorganization.
  • Virtual committee members: ALA has done away with the virtual member category and the conference attendance requirement; award juries, nomination committees, and many interest groups already conduct much of their business online. Any committee may have e-members, but whether a committee goes entirely e- should be part of the committee's guidelines and not at the discretion of the chair to avoid having committees flip-flop from year to year. Attendees argued that committees should be able to evolve toward whatever model makes them most effective, and many suggested tools such as conference calling, webinar software, Google docs, and ALA Connect to help committees work effectively online.

 

CRS general discussion

  • Web management: The committee discussed whether a web oversight committee is needed or whether the Secretary can act in this capacity. The difficulty of obtaining web management permissions has been a perennial obstacle to keeping web content updated. (Decision: Secretary will handle the necessary updates.)
  • Education/Research & Publications Committee merge:  Kurt Blythe and Lori Kappmeyer discussed the proposed combining of the two committees and the new entity's role. Its emphasis will be on facilitating efforts to engage with the profession in a scholarly fashion, whether through ongoing research and publication or through educational functions. The new committee will provide ideas and infrastructure to support research, education and programming, but will not be carrying out these functions itself.
  • Technology: Charles Wilt is seeking volunteers from CRS to provide basic tech support for webinars. Foster suggested the New Members Interest Group as a potential source of volunteers, and mentioned the lack of a group within the division tasked with addressing web technologies in a coordinated fashion.
  • Case and Whitacre visited the committee to discuss new business development. Many groups within ALCTS have good ideas, but need better implementation to convert ideas into marketable content. Webinars were encouraged as good revenue and marketing/awareness tools with a low threshold for preparation.
  • Pamela Bluh visited CRS Exec to discuss continuing education. Bluh clarified the relationship between continuing education and programming: content that is delivered at a conference (i.e. symposium, institute, program), is considered a program; anything delivered outside a conference (i.e. e-forums, webinars, online courses) is considered continuing education. Echoing what was said previously about marketing and business development, Bluh emphasized inexpensive e-content that can be viewed live or recorded. The ALCTS Continuing Education Committee will provide all the assistance it can to bring proposals to fruition; ALCTS factors revenue from proposed events into its budget so follow-through on proposed events is important. There is no requirement that presenters be ALA or ALCTS members. The committee is working on a continuing education calendar so members know what is coming and what areas are ripe for development; ideas for presenters and topics should be directed to Cindy Hepfer. Foster mentioned that restrictions on copyright and revenue sharing are currently obstacles to fruitful cooperation among groups within and beyond ALA, and relaxing those restrictions might be mutually beneficial to ALCTS and other groups.

 


Monday, January 19, 2010

10:30-noon

Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, Room 154

 

In attendance:

Connie Foster (Chair)

Paul Moeller (Chair-Elect)

Felicity Dykas (Past Chair)

Anne Mitchell (Secretary)

Ann Fath (Member-at-Large)

Maggie Horn (Member-at-Large)

Bonnie Parks (Member-at-Large)

Rebecca Kemp (College & Research Libraries IG)

Jill Mason (Acquisitions Committee)

Lori Kappmeyer (Education Committee)

Shana McDanold (Policy & Planning Committee)

Cecilia Genereux (Standards Committee)

Marla Chesler (Ulrich's Serials Librarianship Award Committee)

Emily McElroy (representative to ALCTS Budget & Finance Committee)

Meg Mering (representative to ALCTS Organization & Bylaws Committee)

Linda Smith-Griffin (representative to NASIG)

Gene Dickerson (guest)

 

ALCTS Board highlights

  • Foster again raised the possibility of dropping the second CRS Exec meeting, with further discussion of logistics. Programs can be firmed up at the Saturday all-committee meeting and approved at the Sunday Executive Committee meeting. Some of the ALCTS-level committees don't meet until Sunday, but their reports can be made available via ALA Connect and included in Executive Committee minutes. The group discussed the function of the Executive Committee meeting, with preference for discussion and action items rather than reporting.
  • ALCTS demographics: ALCTS is the third-largest division with 4,215 members, and the most complex. Foster reiterated that ALA is doing away with the "virtual member" category, and conference attendance is no longer mandatory for committee service. It is possible for a committee to conduct its work entirely online; the decision to do so should be based on the nature of the committee, rather than the personal preferences of the current membership.
  • Attendance: Attendance in Boston was reportedly similar to that of the 2009 Denver conference, which was comparatively low in relation to previous years.
  • Webinars: CRS members were encouraged to offer tech support for webinars, and committee chairs were urged to recruit volunteers within their committees. Discussion followed about various logistical points:
    • Technology support: There is currently no designated group within CRS or ALCTS with a focus on use of technology. This is a significant gap, considering how much programming and business activity has moved online. This might be an opportunity to involve tech-savvy new members.
    • New business models: There is a new focus on repurposing content among programs, webinars, publications, e-forums, and other venues. The ongoing life-cycle of content could be discussed with presenters early in the process, so that they can consider how to sustain interest and discussion beyond the initial program. In terms of identifying new topics, discussion lists can be good indicators of what people want more information about. ALCTS could consider the revenue possibilities of co-sponsoring programs with other groups (i.e. NISO, NASIG, SSP).
  • Website: In regard to the migration of website content from Collage into the next content management system, it was suggested that money saved on a proprietary system could be converted to an IT staff support position who could work on open source tool.
  • ALA Connect: Most attendees agreed that ALA Connect has been useful. Marla Chesler noted that the Ulrich's committee used Connect heavily, as that committee's work must be completed prior to the conference. Her only concern was whether documents and discussion will remain available when the membership changes. Members of groups within ALA Connect are strongly encouraged to subscribe to the group feeds in order to stay updated when things are posted to Connect.
  • Restructuring: CRS Exec continued its discussion of the proposed restructuring scenarios. The major area of concern was the loss of identity and appreciation for the cross-functional challenges of serials work if CRS is dissolved into separate functional areas. Interest groups were also a high priority, as these groups are the most agile part of the organization. Several members felt that interest groups would be best positioned at the division level, as long as interest groups still existed that preserve a Continuing Resources focus. It was again pointed out that restructuring isn't the same as doing new things, and that ALCTS needs to remain focused on this as technologies and demographics change.

 


Reports and action items

  • Officers
    • ALCTS CRS and CONSER (Dykas): CONSER will appoint a liaison to ALCTS who will serve on the CRS Holdings Committee. CRS would also like a representative to CONSER who can represent the section's needs within CONSER and bring information back to the section.
  • Interest Groups
    • Rebecca Kemp, College and Research Libraries IG: The interest group session had three presentations: the Ithaka report on withdrawing print journals, MARC format for holdings data, and pay-per-view at the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point. There were 46 attendees. CRS Executive Committee recommended that interest groups appoint a secretary to take minutes. [see full report]
    • Lai-Ying Hsiung, Costs of Continuing Resources in Libraries IG: CRS Executive Committee will review and vote on the group's formal proposal to change its name to "Access to Continuing Resources IG" after the conference. [see full report]
  • Committees
    • Jill Mason, Acquisitions Committee: At its Saturday meeting the Acquisitions Committee discussed the proposed restructuring and the committee's program at Annual: "Open to Change: Open Source and Next-Generation ILS & ERMS." The committee brainstormed ideas for 2011 including the future of the journal, serials migration projects, publisher mergers, and e-packages. They focused on access, including best practices for access and renewal for libraries, publishers, and agents. They plan to hold an e-forum following the summer program, then a preconference/institute at an upcoming midwinter or annual conference. The committee considered co-sponsorship with NASIG. [see full report]
    • Cataloging Committee: On behalf of the chair (not present), Maggie Horn mentioned that Regina Reynolds (US ISSN Center) had proposed that the committee act as an informal evaluator for RDA and do some testing, as was the committee's original function with AACR2. The primary concern was how to get access to the tool; Gene Dickerson recommended contacting ALA for access, since the testing would be an official ALA activity.
    • Lori Kappmeyer, Education Committee: [see full report]
    • Julie Su, Holdings Committee: [see full report]
    • Daisy Waters, Nominating Committee: The committee has completed its work. [see full report]
    • Shana McDanold, Policy & Planning Committee: The committee focused on how the proposed restructuring could make the section more responsive and increase member participation and diversity. Other units have collapsed their education committees with other functions such as research and publications, as is currently underway in CRS. She proposed a Program and Publications Coordinating Committee to identify emerging interests, needs, and issues, coordinate research and training in those areas, and facilitate interest groups and communities. CRS Exec endorses this change and will work with the committees involved (Education and Research & Publications) to finalize the name and charge.
    • Kurt Blythe, Research & Publications Committee: Blythe discussed the proposed merger with the Education Committee and addressed what constitutes a "publication" that would fall under the auspices of this committee. Committee will compile a bibliography of everything that has come out of Education and Research & Publications to see if a direction takes shape. The official record of publications is found under Publications & Resources. [see full report]
    • Cecilia Genereux, Standards Committee: Attendance was down at Sunday's standards update forum, and the program was shorter than usual due to a last-minute speaker cancellation. The committee plans to conduct much more of its activity virtually rather than relying on face-to-face meetings. [see full report]
    • Sandra Roe, CRS First Step Award Committee: The committee has completed its work; Rebecca Kemp is the 2010 First Step Award recipient.
    • Marla Chesler, Ulrich’s Serials Librarianship Award Committee: The committee has completed its work; Steve Shadle is the 2010 Ulrich's Serials Librarianship Award recipient.
  • Representatives
    • Clint Chamberlain, rep to ALCTS Planning Committee: The Planning Committee had not met yet, but its agenda included the proposed restructuring and how to implement what changes are decided upon. The committee also planned to discuss the planning database and whether it still had any role to play.
    • Emily McElroy, rep to ALCTS Budget & Finance Committee: Upcoming conference locations have raised concerns about anticipated revenue for FY11. The proposed restructuring may impact sponsorship of awards. ALCTS is seeking feedback regarding e-LRTS. Pricing structures for non-members and institutional subscriptions are currently under discussion; pay-per-view was suggested as another possible revenue stream. [see full report]
    • Meg Mering, rep to ALCTS Organization & Bylaws Committee: Organization & Bylaws will be surveying committees to determine how best to balance in-person and virtual committee work. Not all committees have the same needs. Organization & Bylaws is also looking at interest groups in the context of the proposed restructuring. An interest group coordinator would help to mitigate overlapping content.
    • Lynda Wright, rep to ALCTS Membership Committee: [see full report]