ALA 2010 Program: "What Is Your Library Doing about Emerging Technologies?"
What Is Your Library Doing about Emerging Technologies?
Date/Time: June 26, Saturday, 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Location: Washington Convention Center -103B
A new job title of “Emerging Technology Librarian” seems to reflect an awareness among today’s libraries that there is a need for a librarians whose main role is to explore, evaluate, promote, and implement various emerging technologies. 19 librarians in different fields of librarianship at academic, school, and public libraries will discuss the topic of emerging technologies at libraries, their evaluation, implementation, adoption, and management challenges. Come join us!
- Bohyun Kim, Digital Access Librarian, Florida International University
Topics and Panelists:
(1) What are emerging technologies and how they need to be adapted for libraries?
- Elisabeth Leonard, Associate Dean for Library Services, Western Carolina University
- Frank Cervone, Vice Chancellor for Information Services, Purdue University Calumet
- Peter Murray, Assistant Director, New Service Development, OhioLINK
(2) Daily tasks of and skills required for emerging technologies librarians
- Amanda Margis, Web Services Children's Librarian ,Warren-Newport Public Library
- Danielle Whren Johnson, Digital Access Librarian, Loyola/Notre Dame Library
- Darcy Del Bosque, Emerging Technologies Librarian, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Elisabeth Abarbanel, School Librarian, Brentwood School, Los Angeles
- Rebekah Kilzer, Emerging Technologies Librarian, Drexel University Libraries
(3) Challenges and management issues in emerging technology projects
- Cynthia Johnson, Head of Reference, University of California, Irvine
- Jacquelyn Erdman, Web Services Librarian, East Carolina University
- Kathryn Munson, Assistant Access Services Librarian, Southeastern Louisiana University
- Marissa Ball, Emerging Technologies Librarian, Florida International University
(4) Emerging technology implementation and lessons learned
- David Ratledge, Associate Professor & Head, Library Technology Services, University of Tennessee
- Gwen Evans, Coordinator, Library Information and Emerging Technologies, Bowling Green State University
- Rebecca K. Miller, College Librarian for the Sciences, Virginia Tech