ACRL New Leader Orientation Session Information
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm, US/Central
ACRL New Leader Orientation Session: Option #1
Tuesday, May 18, 2010, @ 11:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 p.m. MST / 1:00 p.m. CDT / 2:00 p.m. EST
To Join: https://ala.ilinc.com/join/hvtjrsc
Audio: VoIP within the virtual meeting (speakers or headset will be required).
The virtual New Leader Orientation sessions are intended to give you the tools, resources, and information you need to be an effective ACRL leader. Together, the ACRL Leader Orientation, Leadership Council, and, if appropriate, Communities of Practice Assembly, will help you understand how ACRL is working to advance the ACRL Strategic Plan 2020 and the critical role that your unit plays in that effort. We need your collective vision, wisdom, and energy to carry this work forward at all levels of the Association.
The New Leader Orientation session will be conducted in a virtual meeting environment with VoIP audio. Computer speakers or a headset will be needed to listen to the orientation session audio; a microphone will not be needed. Due to the large number of attendees participating, questions from participants will be welcomed via text chat. We strongly recommend performing a system test before the meeting to avoid technical difficulties and/or a delay in starting the meeting.
System Test: Preparing for your first iLinc session
1. To set up iLinc please go to https://ala.ilinc.com/perl/ilinc/lms/systest.pl. The test evaluates your system to determine if it meets the minimum requirements to run iLinc.
2. Next, click the button labeled “Start Part II.” The second stage of the system test launches the ActiveX control download required to run the iLinc meeting software.
a. Browser information: Internet Explorer installation of the ActiveX plug in does not require running an executable file. Other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox will require both a plug-in download and running an executable file before participating in an iLinc session.
3. A sample meeting will open in your browser allowing you to test the basic controls available to participants.
Participant controls in iLinc
Once you’re in the meeting, you have some control over the interface.
• Click on the Controls drop-down menu in the top header, and select the View menu option.
• You can zoom up to 200%, or select the full screen mode to view the presentation.
• In full screen mode, your controls will shift to a small menu in the bottom right corner of the screen.
• To exit full screen mode, click the icon that resembles a screen in the small menu in the bottom right corner of the screen.
P.S. The Leader Orientation wiki at http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/ACRL_Leader_Orientation will serve as a companion guide to the material covered in the virtual orientation. You may want to bookmark it now to refer back to during the year.