Syndicate content

LITA Executive Committee Committee

In: Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) -- Governance
View:   Faces | List

Discussion Executive Committee Meeting Minutes - October 27, 2015

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 04:55 pm

Attendees

Nancy Colyar, Aaron Dobbs, Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek

Budget narrative - how should we distribute it?

  • Jenny will post the narrative and the detailed budget to the Financial Advisory Committee privately for discussion
  • Jenny will post the budget narrative publicly to the Board group

Update on 2016 Forum location

We got two viable proposals
We're trying to negotiate a lower room rate for attendees

Attendees

Nancy Colyar, Aaron Dobbs, Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek

Budget narrative - how should we distribute it?

  • Jenny will post the narrative and the detailed budget to the Financial Advisory Committee privately for discussion
  • Jenny will post the budget narrative publicly to the Board group

Update on 2016 Forum location

We got two viable proposals
We're trying to negotiate a lower room rate for attendees

  • Jenny will check on the double bed room rate to determine if attendees can affordably share rooms

Pilot project to pay webinar instructors

We're still trying to determine the details of the pilot
The Board needs data in order to discuss this at Midwinter

  • Jenny will pull together raw numbers and evaluation surveys for th0se sessions where instructors were paid; how much each instructor was paid; need this information for all courses for the last two years for comparison; ask for information about what other divisions do; can someone on Education help with this?
  • Jenny will talk to Education about putting a hold on payments for further sessions until the Board and FAC have a chance to discuss and evaluate this

Tangent: need to add an opt out option for sharing names, titles, etc. of Forum attendees with all attendees

Question: We should discuss the privacy of surveymonkey results for CE evaluations

Forum preconference and Midwinter institutes

More potential budget holes for FY16
We had to cancel the Forum preconference on makerspaces
The Program Planning Committee is working on two possible institutes for Midwinter

ALA and Badging Experiment for Forum

ALA is experimenting with badging (emphasis on experimenting)
LITA will issue the first profile badge for attending our Web Analytics preconference at Forum; if we have Midwinter institutes, we'll issue badges for attending those, too.
The experiment is being led by ALA's Center for the Future of Libraries. The goal is to find out if people value these types of badges and use them. There will be three levels of badges: attending CE events with learning outcomes, completing CE events and receiving CEUs; completion of more formal training (including Spectrum Scholars and maybe Emerging Leaders)

Award/Scholarship press releases posted

  • Jenny will publish a blog post with links to the press releases; alert CaM so that they can be publicized on social media channels

The press releases are on the ALA website:

Desperate need for committee inventory and chairs orientation

LITA desperately needs orientations for board members, committee chairs, and interest group chairs; it seems like this has fallen through the cracks in recent years, resulting in committees not submitting reports, among other things
Nancy will write up a few paragraphs about orienting new committee chairs

Open Issue: Need an orientation for representatives, too

LITA Blog and SSL

Web Coordinating Committee will work with ALA ITTS to move LITA Blog to ALA's hosting service in February 2016 and will then be the guinea pig for implementing SSL on ALA's blog-hosting service

Diversity issues and perceptions of them within LITA

We ran out of time to discuss this, so we'll put this on the agenda for our next meeting
See Rachel's great post to lita-l with some numbers

Rachel's excellent question about tracking the Board's open items

Jenny created a Trello board for now until we can discuss this and figure out how we want to handle it going forward (note this is a public board)

In general, the LITA Executive Committee meets every other Tuesday from 2:00-3:00pm Central Time, and members are welcome to attend. To attend the meeting, join our Google Hangout. Due to the limits on the size of a Hangout, we appreciate a heads-up in advance so that we can switch to a different platform that better handles many participants if necessary.

More...

Online Doc Executive Committee Meeting Minutes - November 10, 2015

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 02:47 pm

Attendees

Aaron Dobbs, Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek; Christine Peterson observed as a LITA member

Update on Forum numbers (looking good!)

274 attendees total for advance registration; total registration revenue = $108,473 (doesn't take into account expenses; note that food and beverage costs will be higher because there are more attendees, so this isn't all revenue gravy)
For comparison, in 2014 there were 195 attendees; total registration revenue = $81,336

Attendees

Aaron Dobbs, Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek; Christine Peterson observed as a LITA member

Update on Forum numbers (looking good!)

274 attendees total for advance registration; total registration revenue = $108,473 (doesn't take into account expenses; note that food and beverage costs will be higher because there are more attendees, so this isn't all revenue gravy)
For comparison, in 2014 there were 195 attendees; total registration revenue = $81,336

How do we track Board work

Jenny is working towards weekly email updates to the Board summarizing what's happening in the LITA Office and what's being achieved
How do we engage Board members more? Need to get the priorities/strategic goals discussion going (unfortunately we had to cancel the Board meeting last month because we didn't give advance notice it was happening); will start at the December Board meeting

  • Task: When the weekly emails start, Jenny will post them publicly to the Connect Board group
  • Task: Jenny will add all Board members to the Trello board so that they can add/move projects
  • Decision: We'll keep documents in Connect, including agendas and minutes (all public); discussion will happen on the mailing list; we'll use Trello for an overview of projects the Board is working on (note that this is a new URL in the LITA Trello area Cindi Blyberg had already set up during her presidency)

Diversity issues and perceptions of them within LITA

Some context: See the full thread on lita-l and Rachel's message with some statistics
How do we broaden representation on committees, speakers, etc.?
What are we doing to be more inclusive, and how can we make that more visible? What actionable things we can do?
ALA doesn't have data about members, so we'd have to survey our members ourselves
Can we have discussions at the Midwinter Town Hall and at Forum? At ALA conferences? Online?
Post equity/inclusion actions on the LITA home page, the newsletter (when it starts up again), the blog, etc.
ACRL has a diversity committee; also helps with appointments? Something to consider

  • Task: Jenny will make sure we restart this discussion after Midwinter when there's more staff capacity and things have calmed down a little from the transition and Forum planning; will include in the strategic planning the Board is about to start

Staff capacity (tl;dr: need more!)

Discussion about whether we can add a third position back (probably not); need to look at revised FY16 projections when they're ready; we might be able to investigate a part-time position in FY17
In the meantime, we're working on trying to make routines and processes more efficient
Can we split a position with another division?

Quick note about membership statistics

At the end of August 2015, we had 2,720 members, and at the end of September 2015, we had 2,750, so that's a positive direction, even if only for one month (we don't have October statistics yet).

More...

Online Doc November 10, 2015 Agenda

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 01:04 pm
  1. Update on Forum numbers (looking good!)
  2. Diversity issues and perceptions of them within LITA
    See also Rachel's message on lita-l
  3. How do we track Board work
    Temporary Trello board at https://trello.com/b/XvOwxWrR/board-tasks-discussions
  4. Additional items?

We'll be meeting in Google Hangouts today from 2:00-3:00pm CST.

Online Doc Executive Committee Meeting Minutes - September 29, 2015

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 04:32 pm

Attendees

Aaron W. Dobbs, Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek

Where are we posting notices about meetings?

  • Thomas will post on lita-l. Should we post on the blog, too?

Committees and Representatives

Is there a prompt in the new system when an applicant hasn't accepted or rejected an appointment?

Attendees

Aaron W. Dobbs, Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek

Where are we posting notices about meetings?

  • Thomas will post on lita-l. Should we post on the blog, too?

Committees and Representatives

Is there a prompt in the new system when an applicant hasn't accepted or rejected an appointment?

  • Jenny will check in the new system during beta testing (ALCTS and LITA will begin beta testing the new system next week)
  • Jenny still has to talk to other divisions that have appointments committees; should the previous year's VP chair this group for next year's VP? Can the Nominating Committee also take this on?
  • We need a Representatives wrangler like the positions for committees and interest group coordinators

FY15 budget close

  • Jenny will post end-of-year budget documents to the LITA Financial Advisory Committee (FAC)
  • Preliminary scan is that we're at a $20,000 deficit for FY15 (it's actually $70,000, but $50,000 of it is money we moved to the Endowment Fund)

Forum 2016

  • Looking at a new location because Portland and Salt Lake City didn't work out: Detroit? Ann Arbor? Kansas City?
  • Thomas, Aimee, Jenny, Tammy, Sylvia (AASL), Melissa (AASL) will all meet to discuss a possible  collaboration with AASL for the 2016 Forum

Idea for Spectrum Scholars-like program to increase diversity of library tech people

  • We will likely have to put this idea on hold for a year while the new Director of the Office for Diversity takes over and gets up to speed on her own unit; maybe we can talk with her about this next year

In general, the LITA Executive Committee meets every other Tuesday from 2:00-3:00pm Central Time, and members are welcome to attend. To attend the meeting, join our Google Hangout. Due to the limits on the size of a Hangout, we appreciate a heads-up in advance so that we can switch to a different platform that better handles many participants if necessary.

More...

Discussion ExCo Meeting Minutes - September 1, 2015

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 03:10 pm

Attendees

Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek

Attendees

Thomas Dowling, Aimee Fifarek, S. G. Ranti Junus, Jenny Levine, Rachel Vacek

Agenda

  1. Budget update (don't really have one yet, but should the FAC chair be part of ExCo?)
  2. Preliminary priorities discussion?
  3. Conference schedule template

Decisions

  1. We'll add FAC chair to ExCo
  2. Board will meet in Adobe Connect with a permanent room URL

Action Items

  • Thomas is going to ask Andrea to find where the "2 weeks public notice" comes from since we're not sure what the language actually is
  • Jenny to create a Google spreadsheet for Board members to enter priorities; set due date of September 30 for discussion at the October 8, 2015 Board meeting
  • Jenny to talk to Lauren Pressley and David Lee King as coordinators about creating a conference schedule template for meetings
  • Jenny to have Aimee added to the volunteer form to help complete appointments
  • Check LITA Forum site under sponsorships for Mary's name (litaforum.org/sponsors/sponsor-prospectus)
  • Jenny to talk to other divisions that have Appointment Committees to get language/advice
  • Come up with a template for the quarterly newsletter; Jenny to talk to CaM about what could be included in the newsletter; also point to the blog
  • Rachel to forward membership committee formal request to the board re: need for $ for Happy Hour
  • Jenny to find Town Hall meeting minutes (Connect?) and go through them for priorities from the members
  • Thomas to send out reminder email to board liaisons about connecting with their liaisons

Open Issues

  • Need timelines for award committees
  • Need best practices for documenting and archiving year-to-year for committees
  • Need to document additional roles that committee chairs and representatives may be expected to perform and report back on; revisit terms and roles
  • Need to close the loop and thank liaisons/reps when their terms end
  • Need a liaisons (representatives) wrangler

Notes

  • Make sure to post ExCo agendas and notices at least two weeks in advance (check if the 2 weeks is ALA or LITA rule)
  • Look for ExCo mailing list (it's at litaexco@lists.ala.org)
  • Encouraging CaM to meet; encourage Board liaisons to reach out to committees
  • Past chair for awards committees are supposed to remain on the roster to help mentor the new chair
  • Gathering agenda items for next Board meeting: local chapters, assessment update, prioritizing priorities, funding for Happy Hour

Hangouts URL for future ExCo meetings - http://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g5a353zw7sghxrfubgxlpwmdqaa

More...

File 2015_AC_LITA_Executive_Committee_Meeting_Agenda-final

by Mary Taylor on Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 02:19 pm

PDF File, 24.74 KB

File 2015_LITA_Executive_Committee_Meeting_Agenda71

by Mary Taylor on Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 04:43 pm

DOCX File, 23.37 KB

Online Doc LITA Executive Committee Agendas & Minutes, 2007-current

by Mary Taylor on Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 02:30 pm

Agendas and minutes from LITA Executive Committee Meetings from 2007 through the current year are attached. For douments prior to 2007, please contact the LITA office: lita (at) ala.org.

File ExCoAC14Agenda

by Mary Taylor on Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 04:34 pm

PDF File, 33.37 KB

Pages

The Executive Committee is empowered to act for the Board of Directors between regular meetings of the Board. The decisions and actions of the Executive Committee are subject to review by the Board at its next regular meeting.

 

 

Subscribe to LITA Executive Committee