Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
LLAMA Assessment Section Resources Committee

Online Doc Approved minutes, Resources Committee Meeting 2016.12.08

by John Wiggins on Thu, May 25, 2017 at 09:19 am

:05 1. Roll call

  • Helen Look (co-chair), Jeff Belliston (recorder), John Wiggins (chair), Nancy Colyar, Steve Borrelli, Terry Taylor, Wenli Gao
  • Rachael Elrod has stepped down since our last meeting.
  • Diane Porterfield and Rich Paustenbaugh could not attend this meeting and indicated so in advance.

 

:10 2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting:

:05 1. Roll call

  • Helen Look (co-chair), Jeff Belliston (recorder), John Wiggins (chair), Nancy Colyar, Steve Borrelli, Terry Taylor, Wenli Gao
  • Rachael Elrod has stepped down since our last meeting.
  • Diane Porterfield and Rich Paustenbaugh could not attend this meeting and indicated so in advance.

 

:10 2. Review/revise/approve minutes from previous meeting:

Approved minutes, Resources Committee Meeting 2016.11.10 (requires login to ALA Connect)

  • Approved in revised format and made public by John with slight revisions in institution designations of a few current members.

 

:15 3. Committee housekeeping

  • ALA MW meeting still a possibility (ultimately finalized as a data working group to offer prioritized suggestions to full committee at Jan 26 meeting)
  • John wants to make sure that we can make progress. Hopes to be able to do with one hour meetings but we should keep in mind that we may need to extend meetings.

 

:25 4. LLAMA Changes--Special ballot. Changes for LLAMA before special ballot/voting period.  Please consult site shared below to prepare. (info repeated from October meeting)

  • Initiative is likely to pass. Today is the closing date.

4.1 http://connect.ala.org/node/260148 to access the ballot

4.1.1 Was delivered as an email update from ALA Connect with a link to a poll

 

:30 5. Updates on deliverables from previous meeting 

5.1 Assessment Section survey (officially closed 11/30/2016)- Survey was launched at the Library Assessment Conference in print and online at http://tinyurl.com/2016assess (recent summary of responses shared via email)

Summary of results shared via email on Saturday 12/3/2016 (104 total responses, etc.)

Discussion:

  • Nancy learned from reviewing the question about "What have you learned?" that there are a number of tools she was not aware of. Those provide some possibilities.
  • Jeff saw many mentions of Tableau and data visualization.
  • Wenli suggested coding the responses. Doesn't know how long this will take. She offered (and was readily accepted) to do some initial text mining question by question. John offered to re-output the data if that would be helpful. She will do this at least a week before our next formal meeting. If sooner that would be wonderful.
  • We may want to do some text mining by the demographics (academic versus public, etc.)
  • John requested that Wenli run the text miner on Q8 about the groups and committees that people are part of.
    • Nancy suggested that we could address some of this in even an hour meeting at ALA MW.
    • The results don't line up naturally with how the Assessment Section has divided itself.
    • John hasn't shared these beyond us since Anne Moore wants to review them more carefully before doing so and she hasn't been able to yet.
    • John asked that Jeff give him a heads up after Jeff's had a chance to thoroughly review the data regarding any personally identifiable information that needs to be redacted.
      • John highlighted for us some responses that he saw as particularly relevant or potentially related to the committee's charge:
      • John expressed disappointment that some people who listed expertise in Q3 but did not give their name. Others said they don't have any expertise. We will need to go beyond what's here to our networks to identify good people. The idea of sharing (and associated time commitments) may have scared some people off.
      • How do we see ourselves moving from these responses to action that we might take with regard to programming?
      • Qs 1 and 2 will be the most fertile for programming
      • Q3 may give ideas for presenters
      • Q4 might give us sense of audience
      • Q8 would provide ideas about partnering
        • We will look further at these during an optional F2F meeting (for those who can attend) at ALA MW in Atlanta to prep for our (official) teleconference meeting on Jan 26.

 

5.2 Library Assessment Conference

The conference program is now openly accessible at http://libraryassessment.org/schedule/index.shtml.

DELIVERABLE: Steve Borrelli, Helen Look, Terry Taylor, Wenli Gao and John Wiggins were asked to report on trends we might see at the Library Assessment Conference at the end of October.

We can also report on the LLAMA Assessment Section affinity group meeting, which offered some input into near-future directions of the section (and discussion was based on two of our survey questions, in part). We didn't get to this last meeting.

  • Steve felt like about 20% of the sessions either used Tableau or were talking about Tableau. There were also a lot of sessions on sharing the results from assessments and culture of assessment.
  • There are differences of opinion about the value of Tableau.
  • It has a steep learning curve.
  • It also has a steep price.
  • Dashboards are of great interest.
  • There is some danger in focusing on a single software product.
    • Terry felt like there is a wealth of approaches being used for assessment. She mentioned "appreciative inquiry" in particular. This method helps people focus on what's going right and building on that helps people move forward.
    • Text mining of chat reference to isolate complaints about noise to potentially identify solutions. This seemed an interesting idea--mining chat questions for assessment/improvement purposes.
    • Looking at the schedule will indicate that many sessions have slides that you can refer to.
    • Communal notes also exist for various sessions. These are generally available through the session abstracts on the conference site.
    • Helen reported that it was not clear to some individuals who could attend the LLAMA Assessment Section affinity group. She is aware of some who were not members of LLAMA who wondered if they could go. We should be aware of this if we try to have an affinity session in the future LACs.

 

We don't seem to yet be at the point where we're ready to talk about programming ideas. We ended the meeting early as a result. The following agenda items are postponed to a future date:

5.3 Scope of Assessment Programming/Discussions within ALA and potential partners

DELIVERABLE - 1: If Nancy is ready at this meeting--explore within ALA which groups are working on collections use and how, to get us started on subsequent deliverable below--

DELIVERABLE - 2: follow up to deliverable # 1 above: (group) research project for perhaps the full year--small group researches list of other ALA divisional/sectional committees tasked with assessment program and/or suggests next steps regarding how we can find others/learn more about these committees as potential partners and overlapping audiences.

5.3.1 Possible partner for programming/marketing: ALCTS Collection Assessment IG--more of a programming group, not as much a committee/not really having meetings, that arranges for presentations.

5.4 PENDING OFFER OF potential resourcing for ResComm projects: Nancy and John interested in assessment of discovery tools and web sites

5.5 PENDING POSSIBILITY for ResComm programming: Helen, Terry, and Nancy have presented on micro assessments/guerilla assessments and might develop something if there’s interest.

 

6. Brainstorm results for activities to support committee charge

6.1 Summary of general ideas:

In general, save the time of our colleagues.

Be engaged outside of LLAMA.

How do we measure our impact, that it's important to people.

6.2 General support for gathering more ideas

Survey Assessment section elist

Identify problems committee members hope to address or our general interests. 

Evaluate and select activities wanting to launch.

What time frame should we be working from?  

6.3. Opt-in: creating small working groups around ideas that engage committee members.

 

Next meeting: Thursday January 26 at 9am MT / 10am CT / 11am ET

More...
LLAMA Assessment Section Resources Committee

Online Doc Approved minutes, Resource Committee Meeting 2017.02.23

by John Wiggins on Thu, May 25, 2017 at 09:18 am

1. Roll call – John, Helen, Wenli, Nancy, Terry, Rich, Diane. Steve & Jeff couldn’t attend

2. Minutes from previous meeting: Approved

3. Committee housekeeping

    Upcoming meetings

    ACRL meeting in March—Terry, Wenli, and Helen plan to attend ACRL. Rich hoping to attend. Jeff, Nancy, and John are available for our regular meeting.  Diane possibly unavailable. Steve is unavailable.

John will be sending out a doodle poll for availability on March 9th (probably 11am).

 4. LLAMA/reorganization update

1. Roll call – John, Helen, Wenli, Nancy, Terry, Rich, Diane. Steve & Jeff couldn’t attend

2. Minutes from previous meeting: Approved

3. Committee housekeeping

    Upcoming meetings

    ACRL meeting in March—Terry, Wenli, and Helen plan to attend ACRL. Rich hoping to attend. Jeff, Nancy, and John are available for our regular meeting.  Diane possibly unavailable. Steve is unavailable.

John will be sending out a doodle poll for availability on March 9th (probably 11am).

 4. LLAMA/reorganization update

Won’t need to specify a community of practice when you join. Sections will become Community of Practices. With our group, assessment, we already did a reorganization – working toward being more inclusive, more open – we will need to continue doing the work that we do.

There will be more info from Ann & Consuela to create new roles – such as project manager. Will also coming up with high level goals so the different groups can work toward those goals for the next 2-3 years.

 People with 2 year appointments will continue, people that had 1 year or that end this year can choose to continue on or join another committee or there will be opportunities to join specific projects.

The LLAMA board (or someone) is working on a process to create a project proposal form for uniformity.

 Committees vs. Community of Practice. Assessment section becomes Assessment community of practice and under that groups (as opposed to being called committee).

 Llama has 2 staff positions. Possibly creating another position to track what is happening in the community of practice, that person possibly becoming the Chair after a year since they’ll know everything that is going on.

Suggestion (at midwinter) was that there should be a webinar or guide on the best way to participate in a community of practice.

There will be variations on how people can engage.

 5. Program ideas or possible approaches to developing programs

We have some data that we gathered on assessment. Some good general guidance but not a lot specifically on resources.

Suggestions for other programs:

5c is working with ALCTS – what to do with collections in today’s [budgetary] environment/ what to do when your resources for collections change / how to change collections based on data-driven decisions.

    • Possible presenters:
      • Terry & Helen but both busy
      • Rich will try to do a search on who has written in the public library arena – we do well finding people in the academic arena but should try to bring in people with public library ties.
      • Other suggestions to identify presenters
        • PLA – projectoutcome.org  
        • John, current President of LLAMA – Colorado State Library did assessment conference
    • Contact with ALCTS will be Wenlie. We’ll reach out now to share the idea of working with them – they can share their timeline and degree of interest.

 We may have passed the ALA annual programming deadline. John will check and we’ll still develop the idea.

 Dashboards (6.1.1)

    • There were people identified in our surveys that can help with that.
    • Programming ideas
      • What Dashboards can’t do. What are they for/what are they not for?
      • What are the workarounds when your platform (Sharepoint) doesn’t work with dashboards well.
      • Examples of different dashboards – what people choose to display and why.
        • As a Poster session, maybe in a virtual manner for those who can’t go to ALA or midwinter.
        • Hybrid - where collect beforehand and then do a lightning round talk where people are available after for questions. 
      • Failed projects – best of or worst of -- If collect from others and generalize. What you wouldn’t do again.
    • Will continue to explore ideas of dashboard programming

 

[5C--Possible partner identified for programming/marketing: ALCTS Collection Assessment IG--more of a programming group, not as much a committee/not really having meetings, that arranges for presentations.  Helen participates in that IG.]

 

More...
ACRL EBSS Instruction for Educators Committee (Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section)

Online Doc EBSS Instruction for Educators Committee VIrtual Meeting Agenda

by Samantha Godbey on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 06:11 pm

EBSS Instruction for Educators Committee, Virtual Annual Meeting 2017 

Date/Time:  Thursday, June 15, 2017, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm PST

EBSS Instruction for Educators Committee, Virtual Annual Meeting 2017 

Date/Time:  Thursday, June 15, 2017, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm PST

Meeting via Google Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/unlv.edu/ebss-ife
 
Agenda

1. Greetings

2. Lesson Plan Project Update
- Committee member progress updates re: project  
- Decide on format/venue for sharing our work, next steps
 

3. Further questions or suggestions

More...
ALA Technology Training Videos

Discussion List of How To Videos for New Connect

by Pamela Akins (staff) on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 02:38 pm

Below is a working list of links to short videos (1-2 minutes) of how-to for basic tasks in the New ALA Connect.

All Users

Welcome and Intro (2 min 7 sec)

Find Members Like You  (1 min 25 sec)

Search Content (1 min 15 sec)

Anatomy of a Group (1 min 35 sec)

Anatomy of a Discussion (1 min 2 sec)

Below is a working list of links to short videos (1-2 minutes) of how-to for basic tasks in the New ALA Connect.

All Users

Welcome and Intro (2 min 7 sec)

Find Members Like You  (1 min 25 sec)

Search Content (1 min 15 sec)

Anatomy of a Group (1 min 35 sec)

Anatomy of a Discussion (1 min 2 sec)

Explore Your Profile (2 min 22 sec)

Manage Email Notifications (1 min 47 sec)

Manage Opt-Outs by Community (1 min 7 sec)

Change Password (1 min 3 sec)

Update Address/Demographics (1 min 28 sec)

Add a File to a Repository (Public) (1 min 19 sec)

Add a File to a Private Group (1 min 12 sec)

 

For Community Administrators

Overview of what you can do for your Community

Post Public Content

Moderate Group Posts

Add Announcements to the Group

Add Events

Run Reports

Add Polls

Add HTML section links for:

  scheduled group Chat in Adobe Connect

  group Google Docs

 

For Governance Staff Users

Manage the Council Documents

Manage the Committee on Committees

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Call for Chapter Proposals: Transforming Libraries to Serve Graduate Students

by Twanna Hodge on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 02:36 pm

Proposal deadline is June 15, 2017. 

CFP URL: http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/gradlibbook/

Book’s Working Title
Transforming Libraries to Serve Graduate Students

Edited by Crystal Renfro & Cheryl Stiles, Kennesaw State University

Intended Publisher: ABC/CLIO: Libraries Unlimited

 

Proposal deadline is June 15, 2017. 

CFP URL: http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/gradlibbook/

Book’s Working Title
Transforming Libraries to Serve Graduate Students

Edited by Crystal Renfro & Cheryl Stiles, Kennesaw State University

Intended Publisher: ABC/CLIO: Libraries Unlimited

 


Overview of Book

 
Graduate Students are critical stakeholders for academic libraries, and as libraries continue to reinvent themselves to remain relevant, spaces, services and instruction targeted specifically for the needs of the graduate student community are critical.
We have created a tentative table of contents for this book and invite proposals on any of the topics listed below, or on a graduate student focused topic of your choice. Completed Chapters are expected to be between 2,000 – 5,000 words.

Proposed Table of Contents

 
Section 1: One Size Does Not Fit All

  • How Graduate Students differ from undergraduates and faculty: A literature review
  • Serving Online (Hybrid) Students
  • Serving Online-only Students
  • Serving the PhD
  • Serving STEM Graduate Students
  • Serving International Graduate Students
  • Serving the Professional Graduate Student (could be more than one chapter, each focused on different types of Professional Programs which are very distinct)
  • Serving the multiple roles of graduate students (GRA; Student; Teaching Assistant, etc.)

Section 2: Structures: Organizational; Technical; Spatial

  • Different library organizational structures to support graduate students
  • Technical needs of graduate students
  • Spaces for graduate students
  • Consultation models for serving graduate students

Section 3: Traditional Librarian Functions meet Graduate Students’ needs

  • ILL and serving Graduate Students
  • Workshops for Graduate Students
  • Information literacy and graduate students or ACRL Framework applied to graduate student interactions
  • Data and Graduate students
  • Digital Thesis & Capstone Processes
  • Productivity Tools for Graduate Students and/or Citation Managers
  • The Academic Research Cycle

Section 4: Partnerships

  • Collaboration with other university units
  • Collaboration with graduate associations and clubs
  • Collaboration with vendors
  • Collaboration with Professional Organizations

Proposal Guidelines

 
Length of Proposal: 200-400 word abstract of proposed chapter (please include chapter title). Final Chapter will be between 2,000-5,000 words.
Author(s): Name(s), Institution(s), job title(s), Short 2 sentence bio listing how the author(s) is/are involved with graduate students.

Important Dates: 

  • Proposal due: June 15, 2017
  • Authors notified: June 30, 2017
  • Full Chapters Due: September 30, 2017
  • Edited Chapters Returned: November 30, 2017
  • Final Revised Chapters due: January 1, 2018

 
Please contact Crystal Refro at crenfro1@kennesaw.edu with any questions regarding your proposal or the submission system.

More...
RUSA Executive Committee (Reference and User Services Association)

Discussion Agenda RUSA Executive Committee, 5-25-17

by Alesia McManus on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 01:57 pm

RUSA Executive Committee Agenda

May 25, 2017, Thursday

12:00pm PT / 1:00pm MT/ 2:00pm CT / 3:00pm ET

1. Agenda Changes/Approval, Announcements – MCMANUS

2. Approval of Executive Committee minutes for April 20, 2017 (attached)

3. President’s Update – MCMANUS (attached)

4. Vice-President’s Update – LE BEAU (attached)

6. New Business:

a. RUSA membership dues increase - Board motion from B&F Committee (attached) - LE BEAU

RUSA Executive Committee Agenda

May 25, 2017, Thursday

12:00pm PT / 1:00pm MT/ 2:00pm CT / 3:00pm ET

1. Agenda Changes/Approval, Announcements – MCMANUS

2. Approval of Executive Committee minutes for April 20, 2017 (attached)

3. President’s Update – MCMANUS (attached)

4. Vice-President’s Update – LE BEAU (attached)

6. New Business:

a. RUSA membership dues increase - Board motion from B&F Committee (attached) - LE BEAU

b. RUSA recommendations for division-restructuring - recommendation 5 &6  (see attached documents) GERMAN/ALL  Outcome: Motion for June Board meeting

c. Discuss how to share and solicit comments for the final draft of the Professional Competencies (attached) - MCMANUS

d. Develop agenda for RUSA Board meeting on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - MCMANUS

7. Agenda items for next Executive Committee Meeting Friday, June 23, 1:30-3:30 pm: TBD - MCMANUS

8. Adjournment

5-24-17

 

More...
ACRL IS (Instruction Section)

Event Instruction Section Teaching Methods Committee Virtual Meeting, June 6, 2pm-3pm ET

by Amanda Izenstark on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 01:53 pm

ACRL Instruction Section
Teaching Methods Committee
Virtual Meeting
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
2pm-3pm Eastern
https://rhody.webex.com/rhody/j.php?MTID=m190aee136e11e8aa23584815944abca9

AGENDA

ACRL Instruction Section
Teaching Methods Committee
Virtual Meeting
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
2pm-3pm Eastern
https://rhody.webex.com/rhody/j.php?MTID=m190aee136e11e8aa23584815944abca9

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and Introductions
  2. Additions to the Agenda
  3. Announcements
  4. Announcements from Exec 
  5. Reports from Subcommittees
    1. Featured Teaching Librarian
    2. Selected Resources
    3. Web Maintenance
  6. Thank Yous and Farewells to Members Leaving 
  7. Personal Announcements
  8. Adjourn

If you wish to attend the meeting as a non-member guest, please contact the Chair in advance for details: Amanda Izenstark amanda@uri.edu

More...
ALA Committee on Diversity (COD)

Event Committee on Diversity May Conference Call (5/24) Agenda

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Tue, May 23, 2017 at 06:06 pm

Call instructions
Call takes places on May 24 at 9AM Pacific /10AM Mountain/11AM Central /Noon Eastern

Toll Free Number 866-801-5789
Enter Participant Passcode: 78965432

In advance of the conference call please review the following documents in ALA Connect:

  1. EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan Feedback Request
  2. EDI recommendations for COD

AGENDA

Call instructions
Call takes places on May 24 at 9AM Pacific /10AM Mountain/11AM Central /Noon Eastern

Toll Free Number 866-801-5789
Enter Participant Passcode: 78965432

In advance of the conference call please review the following documents in ALA Connect:

  1. EDI Strategic Direction Draft Implementation Plan Feedback Request
  2. EDI recommendations for COD

AGENDA

  1. (Jody – 15 min) EDI Draft Implementation – present draft implementation plan and discuss process for feedback on outcomes and measurement of strategies
  2. (Martin – 20 min) COD discussion of Outcome and Measurements for Strategies 5 and 10, identify committee process for requesting feedback from additional groups, goal is to incorporate member group feedback on outcomes and strategies by/at Annual – implementation plan will be finalized at Fall Executive Board meeting
  3. (Martin – 15 min ) 6 EDI Recommendations for COD, discussion and identify next steps with ERT
  4. (Martin – 5 min) proposed Council Action at Annual (definitions, as noted in EDI recommendations and strategic direction)

Lastly, please mark your calendars: COD will be meeting twice at Annual Conference:

  1. Friday 6/23, 12:30-2pm: Joint meeting and COD Business Meeting I - https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=266050
  2. Sunday 6/25, 1-2:30pm: Committee on Diversity Business Meeting II - https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=266294

Thanks, and looking forward to tomorrow’s conversation.

Martin

---

Martin Garnar
Dean, Kraemer Family Library
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
P 719-255-3115 | F 719-528-5227 | E mgarnar@uccs.edu | he / his / him | uccs.edu/library

More...
ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group

Event Exciting discussions at ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services IG during ALA 2017

by Amber Billey on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:45 am

ALCTS CITSIG ALA Annual 2017 Program

ALCTS CITSIG ALA Annual 2017 Program

Sunday, June 25, 2017

1-2:30PM at McCormick Place, W190b

 

Providing Textbooks for your students (Beth Bernhardt, UNC Greensboro)

In the past two years UNC Greensboro University Libraries technical services staff have be working with the bookstore to identify textbooks that the library can purchase as ebooks.  Many libraries across the country are doing this also, so this roundtable discussion would look at what works and best practices.

 

Archivists and metadata librarians, library reorganization, and new understandings for archival description and discovery (Ivey Glendon, University of Virginia Library)

In 2015, the University of Virginia Library conducted an organizational restructuring resulting in greater integration among special collections and non-special collections technical services staff, thus matching together groups with related but unique motivations:  careful stewardship for collections (important to the archivist) and broader access to the widest array of materials (energizing to the metadata librarians). This roundtable discussion will be an open discussion on changing organizational structures, exploring overlapping skillsets among technical services staff, and identifying opportunities for future collaboration.

 

Cataloging & metadata outreach (Sarah Hovde, Folger Shakespeare Library)

Current trends (increasing prevalence of non-MARC metadata, transitions to linked data, shrinking staff and budgets) represent new challenges for cataloging and metadata professionals, but can also offer interesting opportunities for collaboration and relationship building across a library community. Outreach efforts (for instance, lunchtime presentations, listening sessions, reading discussion groups, social media presence, flyers, etc.) by cataloging and metadata professionals can produce a number of outcomes: keep both users and fellow staff members informed and engaged with technical services departments, ensure that the time and effort of technical services staff are meeting users' needs, encourage support for metadata activities such as ILS upgrades, create opportunities for cross-departmental collaborations, and above all underscore the importance and relevance of metadata and cataloging work within an institution.

 

The Changing Nature of Paraprofessional Labor in Technical Services (Dejah Rubel, Ferris State University)

Technical services is changing very rapidly and tasks that were once the sole purview of professionals, such as complex copy cataloging or batch metadata editing, are now being assigned to para-professionals. There are many ways this can both positively and negatively impact the information profession, so I would like to discuss how we can positively embrace these changes while still awarding an appropriate level of recognition and support to these key organizational positions.

 

Application of project management in Technical Services (Nastia Guimaraes, University of Notre Dame)

ALA’s LLAMA lists project management as one of its 14 Foundational Leadership and Management Competencies (http://www.ala.org/llama/leadership-and-management-competencies), yet very few librarians have official project management (PM) training or have time to learn techniques used in the PM discipline. In addition, with the changing nature of the work TS departments are asked to perform and with the increasing level of cross-departmental collaboration on new library-wide initiatives, how ready are TS to manage additional projects more efficiently? This discussion topic will help participants examine possible ways of implementing PM in TS areas in a more meaningful way and offer some solutions to introducing added efficiency when running projects.

 

Building a better toolbox: when to create our own solutions and when to use vendor tools? (Morag Stewart, University of Washington)

The shift to cloud computing and library service platforms (LSPs), while a brave step for library systems technology, has not necessarily resolved issues in technical services processing.  According to Marshall Breeding in his 2017 library systems report, “Real progress depends on building out these platforms to support the new areas of service emerging within each type of library." However, the services he references may not include ordering, receiving, and cataloging of physical materials.  What software and other tools, library-born and otherwise, do staff turn to in order to process, track, and catalog a diverse array of formats and materials when the vendor system just won’t do?

 

Crowdsourcing for technical services projects (Regina Romano Reynolds, U.S. ISSN Center, Library of Congress)

Technical services staffs are challenged by the need to take on new projects to bring existing collections under control and new types and sources of resources to acquire and catalog, all with often inadequate staffing. Crowdsourcing can help cover these gaps. The Library of Congress Flickr project and a developing Law Library of Congress project will be used as examples, along with some library menu transcription projects available for online participation.

 

Consortial Technical Services (Christine Dulaney, American University Library)

In order to increase efficiency and reduce redundancy, many libraries which are members of consortia are encouraging their technical services departments to work more collaboratively.  This type of collaboration can take many forms including sharing expertise, sharing workloads, sharing personnel, or centralizing technical services within a consortia. This roundtable will discuss consortial projects which technical services departments have completed as well as the challenges which were overcome. Are consortial technical services projects threatening or do they create opportunities?

 

Data-oriented technical services in academic libraries (Haiqing Lin, C.V. Starr East Asian Library University of California Berkeley; Karen Yu, University of Chicago Library)

To response to the growing field of data-driven scholarship, academic libraries have begun to develop data collection and provide data-related services to researchers. However, how to organize data collection in order to make those research data accessible becomes paramount importance and presents a challenge to academic library community, in particular, technical services community. The emerging data collection and data-related service model are so different with traditional library resources and services, it is impossible to simply apply existing resources description methods to organize data collection. A new data description and access framework and service model, data-oriented technical service, need to be developed to meet the requirements of data-related services. This discussion will be conceived as a brainstorming session where participants will be able to present their idea about this new service model at academic libraries. The discussion will be focused on following issues,

• How to describe data, including data set and single piece of data

• How to represent data combining with metadata

• How to publish data, including data sets and single piece of data

• How to bring our existing  experiences to new data-oriented services model

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion University Records Manager, Kansas State University Libraries

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:45 am

Assistant Professor / University Records Manager

Assistant Professor / University Records Manager

Kansas State University Libraries (www.lib.k-state.edu) seek a University Records Manager. This position serves as the university’s records officer and as an advisor to Libraries and university administration, departments, and offices in the development of K-State’s records and information management (RIM) program. Required qualifications include a graduate degree from an ALA-accredited program, with a concentration in archives or records management, or a terminal degree in a relevant field and a minimum of 3 years of experience in archives or records management as well as demonstrated experience in records management or archives management, including knowledge of RIM issues within IT systems and services.

Visit: http://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/501335/assistant-professor for the full position announcement and instructions for applying.

Kansas State University (www.k-state.edu) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Background check required.

 

 

More...

Pages