Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Online Doc Meeting Report, 12-4-2014

by Louise Gruenberg (staff) on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm
in ALA Web Management Group

Progress Reports

  • Homepage redesign: The group meets weekly on Monday mornings. We have established a proposed global navigation plan and have almost completed the breakout of the balance of the homepage real estate. The intention is to test a prototype at Midwinter, and use the information gathered to adapt the design, present to WMG, and then to senior management before developing the RFP for the responsive theme change.
  • GiveALA landing page changes were demonstrated.
  • Changes to the eLearning template are expected to be resolved soon.

Progress Reports

  • Homepage redesign: The group meets weekly on Monday mornings. We have established a proposed global navigation plan and have almost completed the breakout of the balance of the homepage real estate. The intention is to test a prototype at Midwinter, and use the information gathered to adapt the design, present to WMG, and then to senior management before developing the RFP for the responsive theme change.
  • GiveALA landing page changes were demonstrated.
  • Changes to the eLearning template are expected to be resolved soon.
  • Changes to News are being priced.
  • The first eCommerce stakeholder meeting was held to review the original proposal and the session with the first candidate vendor has been scheduled.

Presentation & Discussion: Diversity Initiative Presence on the Homepage

Wendy joined Michelle to discuss possibilities for immediate and longer term action.  Action Items: To get a slide up on the homepage, ASAP. Wendy to prepare. Longer term, to move forward with the Homepage Redesign group's Action Areas global (top) navigation item. Louise to contact stakeholders of each group to inform them of this upcoming change and to encourage them to design a special page or redesign their landing page to both make it more visually compelling and to ensure that all their offerings are available and obvious from the landing page. The new giveALA page was proposed as a possible format. Timeline for the latter change to be after Midwinter. Actual launch date to be negotiated with the four groups affected: Advocacy, Legislation, eLearning and Diversity.

Discussion: 2016 Budgeting & the ALA Website Roadmap

Louise's wish list: 

  • Ability to adjust the number of news items that display in tabs.
  • Open Calais or some kind of semantic markup tool that would remove the burden of SEO generation from staff.
  • Budget for new module installation and testing, to add new functionalities.
  • Desired by several groups, so far:
    • CSS editing access to make header and styling changes; or maybe this can be written into the Responsive Web Redesign RFP ...
    • Development and installation of calendar views.
    • A way to create searchable online databases for their special content.
    • Way better styling on auto-respond emails from webforms
    • Fix the bug that reverts custom URLs on webforms upon editing.

Proposed by WMG:

  • Migration budget to assist groups that would like to bring web resources (blogs, wikis, sites) in-house into ala.org. We noted that YTD stats for page views on ala.org are 19 million unique and 24 million overall, making it our most visited publication.

Action Item: Louise to post to the Website Advisory Committee to ask for their input. Input also welcome from other constituency groups.

Branding Issues, District Dispatch

The District Dispatch redesign project announced this week did not include any consultation with WMG. It was noted that the old design was in violation of the branding guidleines published at http://www.ala.org/support/ala-website-guidelines, and specifically did not include the required footer elements. Action Item: Louise to contact WO to enquire about the compliance of the new design and ensure that responsible parties are aware of the need for the site to come into compliance ASAP if it is not. Agenda item for future meeting: How to promote awareness that the existing guidelines apply to all ALA web properties, regardless of type or hosting location? Should we call for a branding compliance review of all existing web publications?

Follow Up from Previous Meetings

  • Louise to call the first meeting to begin drafting the recommended publication, retention and archiving guidelines for web resources.
More...

Online Doc IMLS interim narrative report for ACRL program "Assessment in Action: Academic Libraries and Student Success"

by Kara Malenfant-IL (staff) on Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 05:13 pm
in ACRL Value of Academic Libraries Committee

As part of its Value of Academic Libraries Initiative, a multiyear project designed to assist academic librarians in demonstrating library value, the Association of College and Research Libraries began work in October 2012 on “Assessment in Action: Academic Libraries and Student Success” (AiA), undertaken with partners the Association for Institutional Research and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities.

As part of its Value of Academic Libraries Initiative, a multiyear project designed to assist academic librarians in demonstrating library value, the Association of College and Research Libraries began work in October 2012 on “Assessment in Action: Academic Libraries and Student Success” (AiA), undertaken with partners the Association for Institutional Research and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. A National Leadership Demonstration Grant of $249,330 from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) funds the AiA program for three years. The AiA program builds on the outcomes of an IMLS 2011 National Leadership Collaborative Planning grant by designing, implementing, and evaluating a professional development program to build the competencies of librarians for demonstrating library value.

The attached interim narrative report, submitted to IMLS in December 2014, describes the second year of grant activities, 10/01/13-09/30/14.

More...

Online Doc ALCTS CaMMS Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group: Program at Midwinter 2015

by Jennifer Liss on Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 02:34 pm
in Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group

Join us for the ALCTS CaMMS Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group Meeting in Chicago! 

Friday, January 30th

1:00 PM to 4:00 PM

McCormick Place West

W176a

The meeting will be divided into two different parts. 

Part 1: 1:00-2:30:  Educating Catalogers: the State of the Art.   

Join us for the ALCTS CaMMS Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging Interest Group Meeting in Chicago! 

Friday, January 30th

1:00 PM to 4:00 PM

McCormick Place West

W176a

The meeting will be divided into two different parts. 

Part 1: 1:00-2:30:  Educating Catalogers: the State of the Art.   

Three library science educators will present their perspectives on the state of cataloging and metadata education. Panelists will address course content, the balancing of theory and practice, and pedagogical approaches. Discussion will explore the challenges of teaching cataloging in the context of the broader, and rapidly evolving, metadata landscape. One of our co-Vice-Chairs, also a teacher of cataloging in library school, will moderate.  

We have asked speakers to focus their remarks on the following questions:

  • What do you teach in your beginning and advanced cataloging courses? 
  • Does your course content focus more on theory or practice?
  • Has your approach to teaching changed over time? If so, how?
  • How do you stay up-to-date on cataloging topics and practices?
  • What are the challenges of teaching cataloging in the context of metadata work expanding to serve users of cultural heritage, special, and archival collections?
  • Has the increased adoption of discovery layers--most of which rely on relevance ranking and don't utilize authority data--impacted how you teach bibliographic and authority work?

Panelists:

Shawne Miksa, Associate Professor, Department of Library and Information Science, University of North Texas

Gretchen Hoffman, Associate Professor, School of Library and Information Studies, Texas Woman's University

Allyson Carlyle, Associate Professor, iSchool, University of Washington

Moderator:

Karen Snow, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, Dominican University

 

Part 2: 2:30-4:00: Drafting a Cataloging Competencies Document.  

Following a brief break, the group will host an interest session on the drafting a competencies document for cataloging and metadata professionals, where we will identify whether such a document is useful to the community, learn of similar endeavors in the past, and identify potential partners in the drafting of a competencies document that may be shared broadly for community comment.

More...

Online Doc 2014-12 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

by Melody Townley on Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 09:12 am
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

2014-12 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

December 17th, 2014, 4 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

1. Call to Order and Introductions

Action: Callers present should introduce themselves.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

2014-12 Executive Board Meeting Agenda

December 17th, 2014, 4 pm CST

Location: Conference Call

Dial - (605) 475-4700

Enter Access Code - 974507#

 

1. Call to Order and Introductions

Action: Callers present should introduce themselves.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

 

2. Approval of Agenda

Action: Approve agenda for the December 2014 Executive Board meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/231765

 

3. Approval of Previous Board Meeting Minutes (5 mins)

Action: Approve minutes from the November 2014 Executive Board meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Background Information: www.connect.ala.org/node/231675 

 

4. Donations / Fundraising Committee (5 mins)

Action:  Discussion

 

Items Facilitator:  Dale McNeill and Erin Berman, Chair Fund Raising Committee

Vote: ? 

Supporting information: Discussion of how we allocate funds raised during this fiscal year and discussion of ALA procedures for receiving donated funds. 

Fundraising letter can be found here: http://connect.ala.org/node/231820

 

5.  Advocacy Committee Report (10 minutes)

Action:  Discussion

Item Facilitator:  Julie Winkelstein and Mary Gen Davies, Co-Chairs,

Vote: N/A 

Supporting Information:   http://connect.ala.org/node/231764

 

6. Feature Slide Samples (10 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: David Isaak worked with the ALA Design Office to design several re-usable feature slides for the GLBTRT home page. These designs can be found here: http://connect.ala.org/node/232031

 

7. Potential Diversity Council/COD Merge (5 mins)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: The Council on Diversity is suggesting that the Committee on Diversity be made up of representative members and disband the subcommittee.  This would ensure that all constituent groups are able to have a voice in COD meetings and deliberations. In addition, the work that could be done by Diversity Council is very similar to the work of COD.

COD discussed the matter at their last meeting and is open to the idea but would like to ensure that all member groups are aware of the proposal and support the idea before moving forward with disbanding Diversity Council and incorporating members into the COD structure as this requires a proposal to the Committee on Organization to change the composition and members of the Committee on Diversity.

 

8. Midwinter News You Can Use: Blood Drive at MW/GLBTRT Educational Program (10 mins)

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl

Vote: N/A

Supporting Information:  GLBTRT will be hosting a panel at the 2015 Midwinter Meeting entitled "Blood Donation: Facts, Fear and Discrimination" as part of the News You Can Use series. This session will discuss the FDA policy that prohibits gay and bisexual men from donating blood and potential changes to this policy.  This will serve as an educational opportunity for ALA members who are hosting blood drives throughout the country at their various libraries to educate them on the FDA policy. 

The program will be held at 8:30am, Sunday, February 1st. Speakers confirmed this far are:  Magda Houlberg, MD
Chief Clinical Officer, Howard Brown Health Center, Chicago IL..  John Mack Freeman will be the moderator.  Librarians Build Community will help promote the program at the Blood drive tentatively planned for Saturday on the Exhibit Floor. 

See:  http://www.glbtrt.ala.org/news/archives/1478

 

9.  ALA Annual 2015 45th Anniversary Celebration Brainstorm (5 mins)

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: All

Vote: N/A

Supporting Information: This discussion was moved from the November 2014 agenda due to time constraints.

 

10.   Social at Midwinter Chicago 2015 (10 minutes)

Action:  Discussion

Item Facilitator:  Roland Hansen

Vote:

Supporting Information:  This discussion is a continuation of the November 2014 meeting. 

 

11. SF Pre-Conference Update   (5 minutes)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Shawn Vaillancourt and Carrie Moran

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: To follow

 

12. Announcements

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Any

Vote: n/a

 

13. Adjournment

Action: The meeting will be adjourned.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

More...

Online Doc GLBTRT Feature Slides Sample

by Melody Townley on Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 07:12 am
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Please see the attached document to view samples of our new GLBTRT Feature Slides.

Pages