Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion Meeting Agenda: May 11, 2015

by Jennifer Fuentes Allred on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 03:51 pm
in LLAMA MAES Data Collection for Library Managers Committee

Meeting Agenda

May 11, 2015

9AM PT/ 10AM MT/ 11AM CT/ 12PM ET/ 7PM Kuwait

1. Recorder:  (Rob Withers; June: [needs volunteer]) 

2. Roll Call for Minutes

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items (all members)

4. Approve Minutes

5. Working Group Reports

  5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

  5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

  5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson)

6.  Other Old Business

Meeting Agenda

May 11, 2015

9AM PT/ 10AM MT/ 11AM CT/ 12PM ET/ 7PM Kuwait

1. Recorder:  (Rob Withers; June: [needs volunteer]) 

2. Roll Call for Minutes

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items (all members)

4. Approve Minutes

5. Working Group Reports

  5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

  5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

  5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson)

6.  Other Old Business

  6a. Welcome to DCLM (Sarah Naper, Jennifer Fuentes)

  6b. Succession Planning for DCLM (John Wiggins)

  6c.  DCLM identify/description in contrast to that of Using Measurement Data... Committee (Jessame Ferguson, Kari Lucas)

7. Additional Ideas and Future Projects

  7a. Call for additional ideas (all members)

8. Additional New Business

More...

Discussion Important Survey Announcement

by Stephanie Braunstein on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 03:41 pm
in GODORT (Government Documents Round Table)

Greetings!  ALA GODORT is examining its structure and in-person vs virtual meeting options.  To that end, the Ad Hoc Committee on Reorganization and the Ad Hoc Committee on Virtual Meetings have designed the survey linked below.  What we wish to emphasize most is that no matter whether you are or are not currently a member of ALA GODORT, we need your feedback!  So, please take a moment of your time to respond to this survey; your opinions and ideas are valuable to the future of ALA GODORT!

Greetings!  ALA GODORT is examining its structure and in-person vs virtual meeting options.  To that end, the Ad Hoc Committee on Reorganization and the Ad Hoc Committee on Virtual Meetings have designed the survey linked below.  What we wish to emphasize most is that no matter whether you are or are not currently a member of ALA GODORT, we need your feedback!  So, please take a moment of your time to respond to this survey; your opinions and ideas are valuable to the future of ALA GODORT!

This survey will be open from Monday, May 4 until Friday, May 22, 2015.  Here is the link: https://umich.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0HrTqbfl56Q2Avj

Thank you for your anticipated participation,

Stephanie Braunstein

sbraunst@lsu.edu

Shari Laster

slaster@library.ucsb.edu

Remember: We’d like your input whether or not you are an ALA GODORT member, and you are encouraged to forward this message to anyone who you think would be interested—even if multiple postings result! 

For more details on the charges for both committees, see: http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/GODORT_Steering_Committee

For technical questions about the survey, please contact: 

Valerie Glenn  valglenn@umich.edu

More...

Online Doc Annual Meeting Agenda

by Brenna Helmstutler on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 01:36 pm
in ACRL ULS Mid-Level Managers Group

The ACRL/ULS Mid-Level Managers Discussion Group will meet on Sunday, June 28, 2015, from 1:00-2:30 in the Hilton San Francisco Union Square, Room 22.

http://alaac15.ala.org/node/29407

 

The ACRL/ULS Mid-Level Managers Discussion Group will meet on Sunday, June 28, 2015, from 1:00-2:30 in the Hilton San Francisco Union Square, Room 22.

http://alaac15.ala.org/node/29407

 

This meeting is open to all and is particularly relevant for those in academic library middle management. The topic for this meeting is staff engagement with guest speakers Erin Leach, Head of Serials Cataloging at the University of Georgia; and Michelle Millet, Director, Grasselli Library and Breen Learning Center at John Carroll University. The agenda is attached.

More...

Discussion LITA Happy Hour Budget Proposal

by Rachel Vacek on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 05:32 am
in LITA Board of Directors

The attached proposal is from the Membership Development Committee to the Board, requesting money for ALA Annual and going forward.

Please comment - we need to make a decision soon and let them know if they will have the funding, as they have had much difficulty in reserving a location for Happy Hour.

Thanks,
Rachel

Discussion RFP is live

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 12:37 pm
in ALA Website Advisory Committee

The RFP is live on the ITTS News blog. Please share it widely!

Discussion RFP is live

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 12:36 pm
in New ALA Connect Platform

The RFP is live on the ITTS News blog. Please share it widely!

Online Doc Follow up -- Four Proposed Interpretations of the Library Bill of Rights

by J. Douglas Doug Archer on Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 07:52 am
in ALA Council

Colleagues,

One more thing.  Please share any comments on the draft interpretations by Wednesday, May 27 at the latest.

Thanks,

Doug Archer

ALA IFC Chair

archer.1@nd.edu

Discussion What are we to keep? thoughts on the National Collection (DttP Spring 2015 feature article)

by James Jacobs on Mon, May 4, 2015 at 11:03 am
in SRRT (Social Responsibilities Round Table)

I've written a piece for GODORT's journal Documents to the People (DttP) about the future of the national collection (aka FDLP collections). I hope you'll read and comment on "What are we to keep? Thoughts on the national collection" as well as the What are we to keep? FAQ which gives more context and additional bibliography.

I've written a piece for GODORT's journal Documents to the People (DttP) about the future of the national collection (aka FDLP collections). I hope you'll read and comment on "What are we to keep? Thoughts on the national collection" as well as the What are we to keep? FAQ which gives more context and additional bibliography.

The question of “how many copies” of print documents the FDLP should collectively keep is the wrong question asked for the wrong reasons and trying to answer it will only lead to the wrong answers and irreparable loss of information. For me, even thinking about answering it raises more questions. How can we know how many copies to keep unless we specify the purposes for which we wish to keep them? What are those purposes? How will we know if we are meeting our goals? How will discarding paper benefit users? How can we be sure that we are not losing information when we discard paper copies if we do not have an inventory of the paper copies that exist? How can we implement a policy that is so vague that it doesn’t define things like “a requisite number of copies,” and how decisions will be made, and which apparently treats a born-digital XML document created by GPO and an indifferent digitization without OCR text and missing its maps and foldouts as of equal value?

Let’s be clear. We are talking about the records of our democracy. Loss of even a single page could damage the ability of historians, journalists, economists, and citizens to understand our history and hold our government accountable for it successes and its failures. We have those documents now in our libraries; there are not hundreds or even dozens of copies of these documents floating around in used bookstores or elsewhere. They are in our charge.

More...

Discussion Discussion thread for the draft RFP

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 03:38 pm
in New ALA Connect Platform

View the draft RFP and please post comments, suggestions, changes here.

Discussion Agenda for May 4 Virtual Meeting (11a-12p PST)

by John Jackson on Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:34 pm
in ALA Website Advisory Committee

Dear WAC Members,

Our May 4 Bi-monthly meeting is coming up next week! Currently, our agenda consists of two discussion items, but please let me know if you'd like to add anything:

1) The first is the current RFP process for the new Connect platform. By now, you should have seen Jenny's post and have hopefully had a chance to weigh in with your thoughts. We'll use the first part of the meeting to discuss the project as it stands at that point (which, as you can see, is a quickly moving one!)

Dear WAC Members,

Our May 4 Bi-monthly meeting is coming up next week! Currently, our agenda consists of two discussion items, but please let me know if you'd like to add anything:

1) The first is the current RFP process for the new Connect platform. By now, you should have seen Jenny's post and have hopefully had a chance to weigh in with your thoughts. We'll use the first part of the meeting to discuss the project as it stands at that point (which, as you can see, is a quickly moving one!)

2) Additionally, please be prepared to give an update on your subcommittee's work. We'll use this time to identify any final action items for each subcommittee to accomplish before we meet at ALA Annual.

Virtual Meeting Room: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/wac14/ 

I know some of you are unable to attend. If no one from your subcommittee is able to attend, please post your update in the comments below.

Liza or Sam: could I ask one of you to take notes? (the session will be recorded, so you can do this post-meeting if necessary)

Thank you, everyone! =)

-John

More...

Pages