Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion ULS Communications Committee Virtual Midwinter Meeting Agenda

by Jody Bailey on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 05:17 pm
in ACRL ULS Communications Committee (University Libraries Section)

ULS Communications Committee Virtual Midwinter Meeting

Thursday, February 5, 2015, 1-2 p.m.

Agenda

ULS Communications Committee Virtual Midwinter Meeting

Thursday, February 5, 2015, 1-2 p.m.

Agenda

  1. Welcome from the chair: Jody Bailey
  2. Introductions from all members
  3. Approval of ULS Communications Committee Annual 2014 Virtual Meeting Minutes
  4. Brief report regarding ULS activities at ALA Midwinter
  5. ACRL 2015: who is attending and do we want to meet?
  6. Updates from Team Leads & Team Members
    1. ULS Universe blog: Sheila Stoeckel
    2. ULS Member of the Month: Valerie Prilop – discussion re: inaugural posts and strategies to keep it going
    3. ULS Newsletter: Carrie Moran
    4. ULS Twitter: Ayla Stein
    5. ULS Facebook: Tammi Owens
    6. ULS-L email discussion list: Maoria Kirker
    7. Questions and discussion
More...

Event Amy Rustic

by Sarah Hammill on Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 07:29 am
in IAmRUSA

IAmRUSA Interviewee for the week of December 15th is

Amy Rustic

Ask her a question!

Event Beth Boatright

by Sarah Hammill on Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 07:27 am
in IAmRUSA

IAmRUSA Interviewee for the week of December 8th is

Beth Boatright

Ask her a question!

Online Doc Meeting Report, 12-4-2014

by Louise Gruenberg (staff) on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm
in ALA Web Management Group

Progress Reports

  • Homepage redesign: The group meets weekly on Monday mornings. We have established a proposed global navigation plan and have almost completed the breakout of the balance of the homepage real estate. The intention is to test a prototype at Midwinter, and use the information gathered to adapt the design, present to WMG, and then to senior management before developing the RFP for the responsive theme change.
  • GiveALA landing page changes were demonstrated.
  • Changes to the eLearning template are expected to be resolved soon.

Progress Reports

  • Homepage redesign: The group meets weekly on Monday mornings. We have established a proposed global navigation plan and have almost completed the breakout of the balance of the homepage real estate. The intention is to test a prototype at Midwinter, and use the information gathered to adapt the design, present to WMG, and then to senior management before developing the RFP for the responsive theme change.
  • GiveALA landing page changes were demonstrated.
  • Changes to the eLearning template are expected to be resolved soon.
  • Changes to News are being priced.
  • The first eCommerce stakeholder meeting was held to review the original proposal and the session with the first candidate vendor has been scheduled.

Presentation & Discussion: Diversity Initiative Presence on the Homepage

Wendy joined Michelle to discuss possibilities for immediate and longer term action.  Action Items: To get a slide up on the homepage, ASAP. Wendy to prepare. Longer term, to move forward with the Homepage Redesign group's Action Areas global (top) navigation item. Louise to contact stakeholders of each group to inform them of this upcoming change and to encourage them to design a special page or redesign their landing page to both make it more visually compelling and to ensure that all their offerings are available and obvious from the landing page. The new giveALA page was proposed as a possible format. Timeline for the latter change to be after Midwinter. Actual launch date to be negotiated with the four groups affected: Advocacy, Legislation, eLearning and Diversity.

Discussion: 2016 Budgeting & the ALA Website Roadmap

Louise's wish list: 

  • Ability to adjust the number of news items that display in tabs.
  • Open Calais or some kind of semantic markup tool that would remove the burden of SEO generation from staff.
  • Budget for new module installation and testing, to add new functionalities.
  • Desired by several groups, so far:
    • CSS editing access to make header and styling changes; or maybe this can be written into the Responsive Web Redesign RFP ...
    • Development and installation of calendar views.
    • A way to create searchable online databases for their special content.
    • Way better styling on auto-respond emails from webforms
    • Fix the bug that reverts custom URLs on webforms upon editing.

Proposed by WMG:

  • Migration budget to assist groups that would like to bring web resources (blogs, wikis, sites) in-house into ala.org. We noted that YTD stats for page views on ala.org are 19 million unique and 24 million overall, making it our most visited publication.

Action Item: Louise to post to the Website Advisory Committee to ask for their input. Input also welcome from other constituency groups.

Branding Issues, District Dispatch

The District Dispatch redesign project announced this week did not include any consultation with WMG. It was noted that the old design was in violation of the branding guidleines published at http://www.ala.org/support/ala-website-guidelines, and specifically did not include the required footer elements. Action Item: Louise to contact WO to enquire about the compliance of the new design and ensure that responsible parties are aware of the need for the site to come into compliance ASAP if it is not. Agenda item for future meeting: How to promote awareness that the existing guidelines apply to all ALA web properties, regardless of type or hosting location? Should we call for a branding compliance review of all existing web publications?

Follow Up from Previous Meetings

  • Louise to call the first meeting to begin drafting the recommended publication, retention and archiving guidelines for web resources.
More...

Discussion Bi-Monthly Meetings Schedule: First Mondays

by John Jackson on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:24 am
in ALA Website Advisory Committee

Our bi-monthly meetings will be on the first Monday of every other month (except when MW/Annual occur) at 11a PST/2p EST. The schedule is as follows:

Our bi-monthly meetings will be on the first Monday of every other month (except when MW/Annual occur) at 11a PST/2p EST. The schedule is as follows:

  • March 2, 2015 at 11a PST/2p EST
  • May 4, 2015 at 11a PST/2p EST
  • September 7, 2015 at 11a PST/2p EST
  • November 2, 2015 at 11a PST/2p EST

Thank you to everyone who filled out the poll, As expected, there wasn't a time convenient for all of us, but meetings will be recorded and I will touch base with anyone who cannot attend ahead of time. Please add these dates and times to your calendar. I will additionally add them as events here in our Connect space.

 

 

 

More...

Event ASCLA Leadership Session, Midwinter 2014

by Susan Hornung-IL (staff) on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:15 pm
in ASCLA (Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies)

McCormick Place, Ro

McCormick Place, Room West 192a
Saturday, January 31, 2015, 10:00am to 11:30am

All members are invited to attend the Leadership Session immediately following ASCLA Board I to help brainstorm, strategize and learn! More details will be posted to the ASCLA website as they become available:  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
 
 
 



  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
 
 
 


More...

Event ASCLA/COSLA Networking and Happy Hour

by Susan Hornung-IL (staff) on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:11 pm
in ASCLA (Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies)

Renaissance Blackstone, Lower Lounge Bar
Friday, January 30, 2015 - 7:00pm – 8:00pm;

Event ASCLA Board II

by Susan Hornung-IL (staff) on Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm
in ASCLA (Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies)

Board of Directors Meeting II (ASCLA) Mon

Feb 2

12:00 pm - 01:30 pm

McCormick Place West - W195

Pages