Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion Looking for librarians who work with video games to participate in a research survey

by Rachel Ivy Clarke on Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:03 am
in Games and Gaming

Hello gaming librarians!

The research group I work with at the University of Washington has designed a new interactive visualization tool for searching and browsing video games. They are specifically looking for librarians who work with/manage/collect video games in their libraries to try it out and give opinions about it.

Hello gaming librarians!

The research group I work with at the University of Washington has designed a new interactive visualization tool for searching and browsing video games. They are specifically looking for librarians who work with/manage/collect video games in their libraries to try it out and give opinions about it.

If you have a few minutes, we would really appreciate it if you could play with a prototype game browser we built for our research and fill out a short online questionnaire. More detailed information is below. Please feel free to pass this along to any other librarians working with video games you know who might be interested.

Thanks so much!

 

Details:

Our game browser Vizmo allows you to browse video games by visual style and mood. We need people who have game-related professions (e.g., employees in a game company, game reviewers, game researchers, authors of game-related books, people managing game-related websites or resources, people working in game museums/libraries/archives, etc.) to tell us what they think about our browser.

The whole task will take about 15 to 20 minutes and your name will be entered in a raffle for one of the three $20 Amazon gift cards. More importantly, your input will help us improve our game browser and make it better!!

Here is the link to our online questionnaire with more information:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sTS__cET1coKBNSjFA8rm-vLjPaKmjATJQi0C4sE47U/

Thank you very much for your consideration. :)

More...

Online Doc Goals and Priorities for 2014-15

by Emily Ford on Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 06:53 pm
in ACRL LPSS Communication and Publications Committee (Law and Political Science Section)

Here's a space where we can brainstorm what we think might be our goals and priorities for the committee this year. Please feel free to edit this document or make comments. 

  • Explore website options
  • Get identified resources listed on ACRL Index to Section Resources

Discussion Questions of a New Librarian

by Allison Moote on Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 06:42 pm
in AASL (The American Association of School Librarians)

I am a fairly new librarian. I was hired last year so this will be my second year on the job. I work in a very small, rural school system and we faced some brutal budget cuts last year. We are a Pre-K - 12 school and we run on a skeleton crew as it is, but we lost all 3 of our teaching assistants and our art teacher position at the end of last year. Now that this year is beginning they have made library one of our "specials" to replace art. Instead of seeing the elementary classes once a week as it has been in the past, I am now supposed to see them every day.

I am a fairly new librarian. I was hired last year so this will be my second year on the job. I work in a very small, rural school system and we faced some brutal budget cuts last year. We are a Pre-K - 12 school and we run on a skeleton crew as it is, but we lost all 3 of our teaching assistants and our art teacher position at the end of last year. Now that this year is beginning they have made library one of our "specials" to replace art. Instead of seeing the elementary classes once a week as it has been in the past, I am now supposed to see them every day. I am trying to think outside of the box and think of what kind of daily class I can turn library into. I have 45 minutes with classes ranging from Pre-K to 7th grade. Does anyone have any suggestions?

More...

Discussion Meeting: Thursday 8/21 2-3pm CDT

by Elizabeth German on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm
in RUSA Publications and Communications (Reference and User Services Association)

Hi all, 

Attached is the agenda for the Thursday meeting. Sorry it is going out so late. The majority of the discussion will be moving forward with the publications review. 

The link to access this meeting is http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r2rnf7zswjj/ . Please choose the guest option and enter your name.

The teleconference number is 1-866-718-7314 Participant Code: 91920045#. 

Thanks,

Beth


RUSA Publications and Communications Committee:

Hi all, 

Attached is the agenda for the Thursday meeting. Sorry it is going out so late. The majority of the discussion will be moving forward with the publications review. 

The link to access this meeting is http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r2rnf7zswjj/ . Please choose the guest option and enter your name.

The teleconference number is 1-866-718-7314 Participant Code: 91920045#. 

Thanks,

Beth


RUSA Publications and Communications Committee:

Aug 21, 2014 2-3 pm CDT

Conference Call Agenda

  • Announcements/Nesting (5 min)
    • Designate note taker
    • Liaisons Updates (anything the committee should know that your sections are working on)
    • RUSA Updates (anything from the board or RUSA office that the committee should be aware of)
    • Project updates
      • Emerging leaders – Board approved ; submitted to emerging leaders (deadline is October 3rd)
      • Blog Update
        • Midyette and Tidal accepted
        • Conference call scheduled for Friday August, 22nd

 

 

  • Presentation and Feedback: Web Review Task Force (10 min)

 

 

  • Discussion: Publication Review (45 min)
    • How to move forward?
    • What are the goals?
    • What are the deliverables?

 

Next Meeting: September 18, 2014 2-3pm CDT

More...

Event DLS Discussion Group Committee Meeting

by Jill Hallam-Miller on Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 08:02 am
in ACRL DLS (Distance Learning Section)

The DLS Discussion Group committee will meet virtually on September 11th from 12:00 PM to approximately 1:00 PM (Eastern time).

Please join the meeting at http://centralpenn.adobeconnect.com/dls-dg/

You can enter the virtual meeting room any time prior to the meeting to test your system and microphone. If you do not have a microphone, you can participate using the chat feature. Please be sure to have headphones/speakers.

Guests are welcome.

The DLS Discussion Group committee will meet virtually on September 11th from 12:00 PM to approximately 1:00 PM (Eastern time).

Please join the meeting at http://centralpenn.adobeconnect.com/dls-dg/

You can enter the virtual meeting room any time prior to the meeting to test your system and microphone. If you do not have a microphone, you can participate using the chat feature. Please be sure to have headphones/speakers.

Guests are welcome.

Contact meeting facilitator Jill Hallam-Miller with questions.
Email: jillhallam-miller@centralpenn.edu
Phone: 717-728-2415

More...

Event Business Reference Sources Committee Publishers' Forum (RUSA_BRASS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 07:37 pm
in RUSA BRASS (Business Reference and Services Section)

"Hitting the Jackpot—Sources for Local and Regional Business Information”: The hardest facts to find are about something in your own backyard. Reliable and accurate local business information and data is often quite challenging to track down.

"Hitting the Jackpot—Sources for Local and Regional Business Information”: The hardest facts to find are about something in your own backyard. Reliable and accurate local business information and data is often quite challenging to track down. Representatives from a variety of providers including Euromonitor Passport Cities (localized city economic profiles, analysis on consumers); Alteryx Demographics Now (US Census data); Proquest ABI Inform (local/regional business news) and Data Planet (US State statistical datasets) will demonstrate what they have to offer for these specific data needs. Come prepared to ask your own local questions as well.

More information about this conference session

More...

Discussion Update on Conference Calls

by Ann Symons on Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:41 pm
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Conference Call Update:

I am currently working with the survey that Melody conducted about meeting times for conference calls.

The second Wednesday of the month will be the preferred date.   

We will not have a conference call on August 13th as we will have to have a conference call before September   10th.

The likely date will be Wednesday, August 27th, time TBD.

We will have our regular agenda items and then go into Executive Session to discuss the Emerging Leader applicants. 

Pages