Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2016 December Executive Board Meeting Agenda

by Paul Kelly on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 07:48 pm

2016 December Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, December 14th, 6 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2016 December Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, December 14th, 6 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
6:00 (5m)

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the December 2016 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the November 2016 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/261049

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
6:05 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances.
6:10 (5m)

 

4. Bylaws Draft Finalization for Submission
Action: Discussion
Item Facilitators: Gina Persichini

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the latest draft of the Bylaws document in preparation for a Midwinter vote.

 

6:20 (10m)

 

5. New Committee Orientations

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Do the new committees need an orientation? Should we have a meeting exclusively around this issue before Midwinter? Peter Coyl said that we should email the people on the Web Committee to see if they’re going to be at Midwinter (as well as the Chairs) and try to casually meet and discuss at the conference in an informal work session. The Board will discuss.

 

6:30 (10m)

 

 

6. Updating GLBTRT Procedure Manual

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, Ana Elisa de Campos Salles

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Google Sites was updated recently. When reviewing/rewriting their sections of the procedure manual, we should have the committees (and the executive board) submit their changes to the Web Committee in order to create a new manual in the new version of Google sites. The latest version is very easy to use and this will save us the headache of migrating everything to a newer version later. A video of the new Google Sites: https://youtu.be/S1WZtm6aNWM

 

6:40 (10m)

 

 

9. Announcements and Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

6:50 (end)

More...
Diversity Member Initiative Group

Discussion Is "Safe Spaces" the right frame?

by Jody Gray-IL (staff) on Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 09:40 am

I know that I have seen some discussion about how a library cannot and is not "neutral," and we should be trying to reframe that conversation. With the state of the things right now, I have seen quite a bit of talk about libraries as "safe spaces." I am uncomfortable with that phrasing, because I find it to be a problemic. We cannot truly offer a "safe space" if we welcome everyone. I know that in the social justice work I have done in the past, there was a shift to using "brave spaces." I wonder how others feel? I also found this article that I thought gave a good overview of save vs.

I know that I have seen some discussion about how a library cannot and is not "neutral," and we should be trying to reframe that conversation. With the state of the things right now, I have seen quite a bit of talk about libraries as "safe spaces." I am uncomfortable with that phrasing, because I find it to be a problemic. We cannot truly offer a "safe space" if we welcome everyone. I know that in the social justice work I have done in the past, there was a shift to using "brave spaces." I wonder how others feel? I also found this article that I thought gave a good overview of save vs. brave spaces. 

http://ssw.umich.edu/sites/default/files/documents/events/colc/from-safe...

What are your thoughts? 

Jody

More...
GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2016 November Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

by Paul Kelly on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 05:42 pm

2016 November Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, November 16th, 6 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2016 November Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, November 16th, 6 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
6:00 (5m)

 

Minutes: Called to order 6:03 PM EST. Board members present: Deb Sica, Paul Kelly, Jennifer Maguire-Wright, Elizabeth DeCoster, Matthew Ciszek, Ana Elisa De Campos Salles, David Isaak, Sherry Machones, Ann Symons, Jody Gray, Kristin Lahurd. Also, Gina Persichini.

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the October 2016 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the September 2016 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/260052

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
6:05 (5m)

 

Minutes: Changes to agenda: add bylaws discussion, remove items 7 and 8, and put Gina and Megan’s segments at the start of the meeting. Liz DeCoster moved that we approve the minutes. Ana Elisa De Campos Salles seconded, and motion passed. Ann Symons suggested that we post the agenda out to the member listserv in future with a note that anybody can call in and participate.

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances.
6:10 (5m)

 

Minutes: No updated financial information from last time (two calls ago). The main update between August and now is that we have paid some money towards the Midwinter social. Gale has been invoiced for the reimbursement. Kirstin, who sent Gale the invoice, will get back to us on that. Ann Symons asked when we receive the fiscal year reports? Liz DeCoster said that no strict timeline has been given as yet. Peter Coyl noted that it is concerning that two month have passed and we have no financials from ALA. Also, it is financially irresponsible for us not to get numbers every month. Ann Symons said that they usually get to the round tables last, so we should exercise patience, but inquire.

 

4. Revised By-Laws

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Gina Persichini

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the latest potential revisions to our current by-laws in preparation for a vote next Spring.

 

Minutes: Gina Persichini said that when we last spoke, we had isolated three issues with the bylaws document. Formatting; confirmation of standing committees under section B - is that statement contrary to ALA policy? We’re still waiting on an answer. Adding to bylaws in the award committee section (political activism award) - that’s in there now. We also confirmed that after these changes go to the membership for a vote, they will be active (upon approval vote) immediately. In terms of the format of whatever gets submitted to a vote, it is confirmed that both a clean version of the bylaws as they exist now and a new version with markup of what is being added, deleted, amended are necessary. Those documents are attached to the agenda as comments in Connect. David Isaak read and liked the document, but noticed a typo (an extra “and”). Deb Sica asked, regarding one year appointments (with option to extend) for volunteers in Stonewall and Rainbow, can we clarify that and make it mirror the other language from the other awards? Yes, Gina will make those edits. Ann Symons noted that it used to be if you were appointed to Stonewall, you had to take a year break before you could serve again. That is not that case any more. David Isaak asked Gina to look at what ALSC has for the Newbery award. Perhaps we could appropriate some of that language and change it for our purposes. Liz DeCoster noted that the document footer reads “ALA Midwinter 2016” and needs to be updated. Ann Symons asked - when we refer to book committees are we only referring to Stonewall or Stonewall and Rainbow? Ana Elisa De Campos Salles noted that the way this is written it means both. We need to spell it out clearer than that. Identify each one (Stonewall Book Awards Committee, Stonewall Book List and Rainbow Book List). Finally, Gina Persichini said that we still have time to make these changes. The last day to submit is in January. We can have this completed next month, and build in staff liaison time before the vote.

 

5. Updating the GLBTRT Web Pages

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ana Elisa De Campos Salles

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss potential updates to the GLBTRT web pages Ana Elisa’s suggestions are below:

 

Some pages contain outdated contact information for the chair, for example. Another example is the Representatives page, which also contains outdated information. We should probably also clean up the Committees page and update information about some of those. For example, the Stonewall Book Awards Celebration Planning Committee has been defunct now since we stopped doing the brunch in Las Vegas and made it a free event. We could come up with some examples for the Web committee to work on beginning now. I don't mind doing this to send them. Then they can hopefully continue on their own and contact the board with any questions. I would also like to suggest they incorporate updating our pages on a regular basis every year, including once election results are final.

 

6:20 (10m)

 

Minutes: Deb Sica raised that we need to review our web page for the sake of consistency. She’s been working with Ana Elisa De Campos Salles on this. Ana Elisa noted that, going forward, the pages must be updated for simple accuracy, as sometimes the pages are outdated. On the representatives page, for example, Dale McNeill is listed as Treasurer, and Ann Symons as Chair. These details are clearly out of date, and so are others. Peter Coyl noted that he submitted requests to ALA for the Stonewall book awards celebration page and representative pages to be removed and nothing ever happened. A lot of these details are pulled automatically from ALA pages. We can ask the Web Committee to update those details. We need to make sure that every new Web Committee knows that they need to consistently update these details so the correct information populates. Ana Elisa De Campos Salles noted that we have a new liaison, Kristin Lahurd, we should ask if we should contact her about these problems or just the Web Committee. She should know the answers to these questions. The News Committee needs login credentials for the news blog, Over the Rainbow needs the password for the Over the Rainbow blog. We need to tell them that when you become chair of a committee, you need to contact us to find out which credentials you need. Put the onus on the Chair. We’ll tell them that we have a procedure manual and that it is their responsibility to read it. Peter Coyl noted that all of the passwords are kept in Connect in the Web Committee space in a protected file. Kristin Lahurd should be able to access it. Ana Elisa De Campos Salles asked - what are the next steps here? What about the pages that don’t auto populate? Peter Coyl stressed that this should be the responsibility of the chairs. What’s going on with the Web Committee? Matt Ciszek said that after numerous attempts to contact the Web Committee Chair, they have two people stepping up as Co-Chairs to help get them back on track and post the news digests once again. Deb Sica asked - do the new committees need an orientation? Should we have a meeting exclusively around this issue before Midwinter? Peter Coyl said that we should email the people on the Web Committee to see if they’re going to be at Midwinter (as well as the Chairs) and try to casually meet and discuss at the conference in an informal work session. Add this as a discussion item to the agenda for next month.

 

6. Updating the GLBTRT Manual (Google site)
Action: Discussion
Item Facilitators: Ana Elisa De Campos Salles

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss potential updates to the GLBTRT Manual. Ana Elisa’s suggestions are below:

 

This is also in serious need of updating. I won't have time to look through it before sending this to you both, but my initial suggestion is for the board to take the time to read through it, take notes on what needs updating, divvy up the responsibility, and get to it. Again, I would recommend we incorporate a regular review/update schedule for this.

 

6:30 (10m)

 

Minutes:  Ann Symons asked if we could divide up the work of updating the Google site at Midwinter and give people assignments? Liz DeCoster said that we should contact the Chairs and board liaisons and have them update/review their pages. Ana Elisa De Campos Salles will send the link to the Google site to the Executive Board so we can all bookmark it. Deb Sica summarized that we need the site, we want to retain it, and we want to update it. We should have the Chairs and board liaisons review their pages by Midwinter. 

 

7. EDI Task Force Recommendations

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica, Megan Drake

Vote: No

Supporting Information: ODLOS has requested that the EDI Task Force recommendations for the office be ranked according to each member’s group priorities. Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11psKIPXYCf48MChuGtCsABMfe612PWpzju5P-ojSejM/edit?usp=sharing

 

6:40 (10m)

 

Minutes: Megan Drake said that ODLOS created a set of task force recommendations and the office is now asking members of the advisory committee to review and rank these in order of preference (in terms of what ODLOS should focus on first). Megan is reaching out to us so we can let her know what our recommendations are. Ann Symons asked Megan if she has entered her own rankings in the chart. She has not, because she wanted input from the Executive Board first. Board members listed their preferences during the call. Megan said that a lot of people said 4.7 was their top item. She’s going to put it in the middle because there are a lot of people on either side. Deb sees danger in creating a top ten diversity issues list. Perhaps we could focus instead top ten ways to be inclusive. Liz DeCoster said that 1.13 should be the reverse of what it’s suggesting. It’s more needed in the places where we wonder why we don’t have diversity. It’s just oddly worded.

 

8. Announcements and Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

 

Minutes: Meeting adjourned at 7:07 PM EST

More...
Linked Library Data Interest Group (LITA / ALCTS)

Discussion Linked Library Data Interest Group Program - ALA Midwinter 2017

by Anne Washington on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 03:20 pm

LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group Meeting

Time: Saturday, January 21, 2017, 8:30-10:00 AM

Location: Georgia World Congress Center, B207

 

Linked Data for Real

Please join us for three exciting presentations describing the use of linked data in current library projects. After our speaker presentations, the group will have an opportunity for questions and discussion.

 

1. Linked metadata for 3D-models: From Dublin Core to Europeana Data Model

LITA/ALCTS Linked Library Data Interest Group Meeting

Time: Saturday, January 21, 2017, 8:30-10:00 AM

Location: Georgia World Congress Center, B207

 

Linked Data for Real

Please join us for three exciting presentations describing the use of linked data in current library projects. After our speaker presentations, the group will have an opportunity for questions and discussion.

 

1. Linked metadata for 3D-models: From Dublin Core to Europeana Data Model

Xiying Mi, Metadata Librarian, University of South Florida Libraries

Bonita Pollock, Metadata Librarian, University of South Florida Libraries

Abstract: The University of South Florida Libraries in conjunction with Lori Collins and Travis Doering, Co-Directors of the USF Libraries Digital Heritage and Humanities Collections, represent cultural heritage projects with embedded 3D-models harvested from Sketchfab. This talk discusses how the library stores, curates, and provides access to cultural heritage 3D-model collections. Our goals are to provide greater access to the digital collections by enhancing the metadata fields, to better facilitate the 3D visualization models for display and viewing, and to increase the ability to share our collections online through the use of a metadata schema compatible with linked data. We employ Dublin Core as our descriptive metadata schema and use the Europeana Data Model as the linked data structure. We chose the Europeana Data Model because it has a semantic web-based framework designed for cultural heritage objects, which supports linked data enabling our metadata to be more easily shared with other institutions. This project explores the possible ways of supporting 3D-model collections in a library context as well as providing the groundwork for linked open data. These efforts are supporting work being done by a new research unit in our library that works with 3D and digital heritage data collections, research, and dissemination.

Bio: Xiying Mi, MLIS from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is a metadata librarian at University of South Florida Tampa Library. She is focused on digital collections metadata creation and curation. Her research interests lie primarily in linked open data, metadata and data management.

Bonita Pollock is a Metadata Librarian for the University of South Florida in Tampa where her main duties revolve around e-resources. She received her MLIS degree from Kent State University and also holds an MA in Educational Leadership from the University of Dayton and a Teaching Endorsement for Educational Technology from Wright State University. Her research interests involve Linked Data, Virtual Exhibits, Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality.

 

2. A Linked Data Metadata Scheme for Clothing Collections

Maura Valentino, Metadata Librarian, Oregon State University Libraries and Press

Abstract: Digitization offers magnified views, and the history and stories that an object has to tell.  Clothing has an important story to tell.   In 2015, the OSU College of Business embarked on a project with OSU Libraries & Press to digitize and make available online an historic clothing collection.  This collection focuses on design motifs and patterns, and also Euro-American apparel from the beginning of the 19th century to the late 20th century, and non-Western apparel from the 15th, 17th, and 18th centuries.

As there was no metadata scheme for clothing within an existing namespace, Maura Valentino created a metadata scheme using elements from other schemes with existing namespaces, as well as original elements that were added to the Oregon Digital Opaque Namespace.  These elements were combined to create a new linked data historic clothing metadata scheme.  This scheme is now available to other institutions to describe their clothing collections.  

Bio: Maura Valentino is the metadata librarian at Oregon State University Libraries and Press.  She creates linked data metadata schema for digital collections, hosted in Hydra and for the institutional repository as it migrates from dSpace to Sufia.  She received her MSLIS from Syracuse University.  Her research interests include, linked data, textbook cost reduction and improving group work through improvisational comedy. 

 

3. Collaborative Linked Data Project for BIBFRAME 2.0 for Library Information Spotlight

Amanda Xu, Metadata Analyst Librarian, University of Iowa Libraries

Abstract: Library linked data promises to meet libraries’ need for agility in content delivery and user engagement. This project chose BIBFRAME 2.0 to enable libraries to publish bibliographic resources in a way that Web understands, consume linked data to enrich the resources relevant to the libraries' user communities, and visualize networks across collections.  Through collaboration with two project teams, consisting students and faculty from Indiana University and University of Iowa since April 2016, the project built proof-of-concept demo of BIBFRAME 2.0 modeling for work, instance, item, agent, topic, etc. from the local bibliographic records in Alma and external data sources, representing library Info spotlight of operas in Opera Planet, a linked list of opera books, videos, sound recordings, streaming media, etc. interwoven into user’s online experience using BIBFRAME 2.0, conversion tools, and novel visualization techniques. The presentation will cover what it takes to build the teams to develop the linked library data applications for content enhancement and visualization.

Bio: Amanda Xu became Metadata Analyst Librarian at University of Iowa Libraries in 2015, after graduating with MLS from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, studying for years in Management and Systems from New York University; and working for years at highly-esteemed academic institutions such as MIT and online info service companies such as EBSCO Publishing, etc.  Her specialty is in content integration, analysis, enhancement, visualization, management and discovery.

More...
About ALA

Discussion Chapter Answers

by Donald Wood (staff) on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 12:45 pm

From Chapter Answers

The ALA and Chapters Partnership

The ALA and Chapters Partnership will guide you to answers and explanations about how the ALA and ALA Chapters partnership works. See also Overview of Select Resources for Chapters and Chapter Issues.

Social Networking

Find more social networking resources for Chapters.

Chapter Issues and More

See also Chapter Issues to see how Chapters share with each other how they address their common issues, and State of the Chapter Annual Report, which are snapshot reports compiled to help Chapters and ALA assess the health and vitality of state and regional library associations. In addition, they highlight notable activities and achievements that can be modeled, and identify challenges and needs that may be addressed collectively.

See also Chapter Advocacy Exchange (free webinars presented by the ALA Chapter Relations Office and the ALA Office for Library Advocacy).

Chapter Conferences (ALA Connect)
Shared information about and resources to help in planning and accomplishing Chapter Conferences.

Protocol for Monitoring and Responding to State and Local Library Crises. The American Library Association (ALA) has adopted a protocol to respond to library crises at the state and local level. The goal of ALA's involvement is to advance the advocacy efforts of the library and/or the appropriate state-level library organization. ALA can only become involved when its efforts are welcomed by and coordinated with the library and/or the state-level library organization. See ALA Protocol for Monitoring and Responding to State and Local Library Crises (PDF).

Questions/Comments

Additional questions or comments? Please feel free to contact Don Wood, Chapter Relations Office.

ALA Chapters Contacts

Michael Dowling, Director
Chapter Relations Office
mdowling@ala.org, 1-800-545-2433, ext. 3200

Don Wood, Program Officer
Chapter Relations Office
dwood@ala.org, 1-800-545-2433, ext. 2429

 

More...
ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee

Online Doc Agenda Jan. 10th Midwinter Meeting - DRAFT

by Emily Ford on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:47 am

This is a draft agenda for our January 10th meeting. Please send along additional agenda items by Friday, December 16th.

This is a draft agenda for our January 10th meeting. Please send along additional agenda items by Friday, December 16th.

  • Review and approve minutes from Annual 2016
  • Editor's Reports/Updates
    • PIL
    • CHOICE
    • C&RL
    • C&RL News
    • Trends & Stats
    • Resources for College Libraries
    • New Publications
    • RBM
  • RBM Editor Search Update
  • ALA Annual Program Discussion
  • Demographic Survey Results Discussion
  • 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda input
  • 2016-2017 Work plan review
  • Other?
More...
ACRL Publications Coordinating Committee

Online Doc Agenda Jan. 10th Midwinter Meeting - DRAFT

by Emily Ford on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:47 am

This is a draft agenda for our January 10th meeting. Please send along additional agenda items by Friday, December 16th.

This is a draft agenda for our January 10th meeting. Please send along additional agenda items by Friday, December 16th.

  • Review and approve minutes from Annual 2016
  • Editor's Reports/Updates
    • PIL
    • CHOICE
    • C&RL
    • C&RL News
    • Trends & Stats
    • Resources for College Libraries
    • New Publications
    • RBM
  • RBM Editor Search Update
  • ALA Annual Program Discussion
  • Demographic Survey Results Discussion
  • 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda input
  • 2016-2017 Work plan review
  • Other?
More...
ALCTS New Members Interest Group

Discussion C2E2 is coming! Professional Reg now open!

by Zachary Stein on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:34 am

The American Library Association will be presenting and exhibiting at C2E2, April 21-23, 2017 at McCormick Place in Chicago. C2E2 is a convention spanning the latest and greatest from the world of comics, movies, television, toys, anime, manga and video games for fans and professionals alike.

The American Library Association will be presenting and exhibiting at C2E2, April 21-23, 2017 at McCormick Place in Chicago. C2E2 is a convention spanning the latest and greatest from the world of comics, movies, television, toys, anime, manga and video games for fans and professionals alike.

C2E2 wants to give you the opportunity to connect with fellow Professionals while checking out what is new in pop culture, which is why they’ve made special tickets just for you. And when they say special, they mean a free Friday Ticket or discounted $25 3-Day Ticket! Check out the Professional Page (http://www.c2e2.com/Tickets/Professional-Registration/) to register today.
There will be no on-site Professional Registration at C2E2. Should you wish to attend as a Professional, you must apply online and complete the full application. There is no official deadline to register, but Professional Registration will close once the capacity for professionals is reached. Please apply as soon as possible, as there is no guarantee on how long the opportunity to register will last. (Please note: submitting an application does not guarantee you admittance to C2E2 as a Professional. Each application will be reviewed by a member of the C2E2 Team and you will be notified within 21 business days if you have been approved for a Professional Badge.)

While you’re at the Show, please plan to stop by ALA’s "I Love Libraries" (http://www.ilovelibraries.org/) Booth on the Show Floor to say hello and pick up more information about integrating games, comics and graphic novels into your collections and programming. We’ll also have information on how ALA Members can get involved with ALA’s Gaming Roundtable and the Graphic Novels in Libraries Member Initiative Group.

The C2E2 Comic Guest List (http://www.c2e2.com/Guests/Comic-Guests/) boasts talent like legendary creators Stan Lee and Frank Miller. The list also includes brilliant creative teams like Kate Leth & Brittney Williams and Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie. Their Entertainment Guest List (http://www.c2e2.com/Guests/Entertainment-Guests/) continues to grow with stars like Harry Potter’s Evanna Lynch and Jeffery Dean Morgan of The Walking Dead.

We hope to see you in Chicago at our booth and throughout C2E2 2017!

Tina Coleman
ALA Membership Specialist / Staff Liaison - ALA Graphic Novels & Comics in Libraries Member Interest Group

More...
NMRT (New Members Round Table)

Online Doc NMRT Councilor

by Sarah Wade on Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:17 am

Term of Office

The Councilor is elected to a three year term.

Purpose

The NMRT Councilor represents the interests of the New Members Round Table on the ALA Council. The councilor also serves on the ALA/APA Council. The NMRT Councilor is a voting member of ALA Council and ALA-APA Council and may speak on the council floor, make motions, propose and submit resolutions.

Term of Office

The Councilor is elected to a three year term.

Purpose

The NMRT Councilor represents the interests of the New Members Round Table on the ALA Council. The councilor also serves on the ALA/APA Council. The NMRT Councilor is a voting member of ALA Council and ALA-APA Council and may speak on the council floor, make motions, propose and submit resolutions.

Major Responsibilities

  • The NMRT Councilor serves on the NMRT Executive Board.
  • The Councilor reports to the NMRT Executive Board and to the membership on ALA Council activities and presents those ALA issues and Council documents upon which the Executive Board may wish to act.
  • The Councilor receives direction from the Executive Board regarding positions to be taken on ALA Council issues and sponsors Council resolutions as requested by the Executive Board.

Procedures Used to Accomplish Major Responsibilities

  • Monitor email sent to the ALA Council listserv and forward relevant discussions or information to the NMRT-L listserv.
  • Solicit comments and feedback from the membership both in-person and via email on NMRT-L regarding Council issues.

Contact People for Accomplishing Objective

  • NMRT Executive Board
  • NMRT Past Councilor
  • NMRT Officers and Committees: copies as applicable to their responsibilities

Reminders and Helpful Hints

  • Develop a familiarity with the ALA Handbook of Organization found at http://ala.org/ala/aboutala/governance/handbook/index.cfm. It is especially helpful if reviewed before Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences.
  • Refresh your memory of the Sturgis Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure.
  • Refresh your memory of the NMRT Handbook and the NMRT Constitution and By-Laws.
  • Review the Basic Guide to ALA Council for a primer on how ALA Council and ALA Governance operates. 

Timetable of Activities

July

The Council secretariat will subscribe the councilor to the ALA Council listserv.

August

Submit planning report.

September/October

Monitor the ALA Council listserv.

November

Attend the NMRT E-Board meeting.

December

Monitor the ALA Council listserv. Note ALA Council resolutions and reports coming up for discussion at the Midwinter Meeting.

January

  • Attend all NMRT meetings, including the Executive Board meeting and all committee meeting.
  • Attend all Council meetings during the Midwinter conference: Council I, Council II, and Council III. The NMRT Councilor should attend the two Council Forums.

February

  • Submit progress report.
  • Monitor the ALA Council listserv.

March/April

Attend the NMRT E-Board meeting.

May

Monitor the ALA Council listserv. Note ALA Council resolutions and reports coming up for discussion and vote at the Annual Conference.

June/July

  • Attend all NMRT meetings, including the Executive Board meeting and all committee meeting.
  • Attend all Council meetings during the Annual conference: Council I, Council II, and Council III. The NMRT Councilor should attend the two Council Forums.
  • Submit final report.

 

Revised December 2016

More...

Pages