Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
LITA Women in Information Technology Interest Group

Discussion Midwinter 2017 meeting?

by Jenn Riley on Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 03:51 pm

Is this group planning on meeting at ALA Midwinter 2017 in Atlanta? I see its assigned time is Saturday afternoon, which is during the March (https://atlantamarch.com/) but I suspect others are in the same boat as me and need to be at some other conference events Saturday so can't attend the march.

AASL / RUSA American University Presses Book Selection

Event Midwinter Meeting

by Annemarie Roscello on Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 03:49 pm

Hi All,

Sorry for the long delay and short notice of this email.  By now everyone should have received their stack of books.  Please communicate with Neal or me if you are experiencing any problems or have questions.

Hi All,

Sorry for the long delay and short notice of this email.  By now everyone should have received their stack of books.  Please communicate with Neal or me if you are experiencing any problems or have questions.

We will meet on Sunday at Midwinter.  Please let me know if you will be there in person.  Once I arrive in Atlanta I will check out the situation for wifi, probably Saturday morning.  If we are going to have access to wifi I will send out information regarding attending the meeting electronically.

Please respond whether you will attend or not as it will make a difference with the content of the agenda.

Thank you,

Annemarie

  • Sunday, January 22, 2017
  • 1:00-2:30 PM (Eastern Time) 
  • OMNI hotel-Birch room
More...
RUSA Awards Coordinating Committee

Discussion MW 2017

by Joseph Yue on Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Jan 21 (Sat) 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM ET

Marriott, L401
 
 
Agenda
 
1. Finalize draft of unfunded award policy
 
2. Revisit the need to draft role of Vendor Relations Coordinator with ACC in light of RUSA proposed reorganization

GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2017 January Executive Board Meeting Agenda

by Paul Kelly on Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 07:20 pm

2017 January Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Saturday, January 21st, 8:30 am EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2017 January Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Saturday, January 21st, 8:30 am EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
8
:30 (5m)

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the January 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the December 2016 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/261049

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
8
:35 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances.
8
:40 (5m)

 

4. Bylaws Draft Vote
Action: Discussion and Vote
Item Facilitators: Gina Persichini

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: The Board will vote on the latest draft of the Bylaws document.

 

8:50 (10m)

 

5. RT Councilor Report

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Ann will cover three items: 

 

1. Executive Director Qualifications - Council will vote on whether or not ALA will require an MLS for the next executive director

 

RT Discussion 

 

Vote: - ?

 

There has been significant comments by both members and units of ALA about this issue.  The RUSA Board discussed this issue at their December meeting and the majority of the Board members support YALSA’s recommendation that the MLIS be a preferred, but not required, qualification in the job description for the next ALA ED, that the applicant be able to demonstrate familiarity with the current library landscape and its values, and that relevant nonprofit and/or association credentials (such as the Certified Association Executive) be strongly considered.  This issue was also discussed by the LITA Board.  Their consensus seemed to be to change “required" to "preferred" or "strongly preferred."  LITA Board members also expressed support for applicant familiarity with  1. ALA & Library values, environment, and priorities, and  2. experience with directing nonprofit or professional associations.

 

Documents: http://connect.ala.org/files/ProsCons.EducationRequirements.ALAExecDirectors.16December2016_0.docx

 

http://connect.ala.org/files/Draft%20Resolution%20on%20ED.docx

 

http://connect.ala.org/files/Hepburn%20Exec.%20Board.docx

 

 

2. Rethinking ALA Conference:   The ALA Conference Committee is seeking input to their proposal to remodel ALA conference: http://connect.ala.org/node/261211  - 

 

Conference Remodel Proposal:  http://connect.ala.org/files/ALA%20Annual%20Conference%20Remodel%20Proposal_0.pdf

 

A resolution will come to Council in Chicago, Annual Conference 2017.  

 

Discussion:  Do we want to send input?

 

3. Gun Control Resolution -   Discussion has continued since Annual conference. The latest draft is the 2nd Discussion Draft.  http://connect.ala.org/node/256035

 

This issue will be discussed by the Working Group which will bring a resolution to ALA Council through the Committee on Legislation and the Intellectual Freedom Committee.  Any vote taken will mostly likely be at Council III on the Tuesday morning.  

 

RT Discussion

 

Vote - ?  RT Councilor will convey GLBTRT’s comments on the issue during Council discussion.

 

4. Ruth Gordon Memorial. 

 

 

9:10 (20m)

 

 

6. GLBTRT Planned Giving Options

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons and Sheila ?

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The board will have a preliminary discussion around planned giving for the Round Table, centered around the ALA Planned Giving Toolkit.

 

9:20 (10m)

 

 

7. Barbara Gittings Exhibit Planning

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Tracy Baim contacted Peter about potentially creating a tribute to Barbara Gittings at ALA Annual 2017, the idea being that we recreate the Gittings display from the ALA conference in Dallas. The board will discuss.

 

9:30 (10m)

 

8. RT Advocacy - Next Steps

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The board will discuss encouraging libraries to display some version of the “Open to All” signage in their physical plants. Example text: “We welcome all races, all religions, all countries of origin, all sexual orientations, all genders” and "We stand with you. You are safe here.”

 

9:40 (10m)

 

9. 50th Anniversary Ad Hoc Committee Charge

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak and Ann Symons

Vote: No

Supporting Information: At the June GLBTRT Executive Board meeting at Annual 2016 the board motioned to talk about an ad-hoc committee charge for a 50th Anniversary at our Midwinter meeting. A draft of that charge follows.

 

“Charge: Plan a large-scale celebratory event to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the GLBTRT to be held at the ALA Annual Conference in 2020. Work with the GLBTRT Executive Board to determine costs and potential funding from ALA, GLBTRT members, and external sponsors. Identify and invite special guests to the event. Develop and execute promotion plan. Write event program and possible related publication for print. Plan smaller lead-up events in years leading up to 2020. Support GLBTRT Emerging Leader Project Team in digital photo and oral history collection events at ALA Midwinter and Annual meetings in 2017-2020.”

 

“Composition: The committee consists of 5 to 7 members, a board liaison, and is led by a chair.”

 

The board will discuss the following:

 

-When should the ad-hoc committee form? Right after Annual 2017?

-How long should the appointments last? We may want to allow some turnover before 2020. Does term length need to be included in the committee charge?

-Potential chair or co-chairs? Potential board liaison?

-Even though the committee is ad-hoc, can we take the term "Ad-hoc" out of the official committee name?

-Planning for the 50th is a lot of work, we may want sub-committees. Do we need to include that in the committee charge? Can we empower the committee to make that call?

-Can the Board talk about costs and budgets before we actually form the committee?

-Who decides on ticketed vs free event (Board or Committee) and when? If ticketed, how can the Board and Committee facilitate opportunities for everyone to attend?  

-Do we want a print publication to coincide with the event or will the online GLBTRT archive website created by the EL's be sufficient?

 

10:00 (20m)

 

10. Round Table Name Change

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The board will discuss whether or not the “GLBT” acronym adequately describes makeup of the Round Table membership. Possible replacement names will be proposed.

 

10:10 (10m)

 

11. GLBTRT Awards - Closed Session

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The board will discuss the various GLBTRT awards for 2017. 

 

10:20 (10m)

 

12. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

 

10:30 (end)

More...

Pages