Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion Schedule of Future Sites

by Mary Ghikas (staff) on Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 05:51 pm
in ALA Conference Committee

Here is the current schedule of future sites, for your information.  We are showing you both ALA MW and AC and Division Conference sites.  Let me know if you have questions.

For those new to the ALA Conference Committee, sites for MW and AC are approved by the ALA Executive Board.  ALA Conference Services will bring proposed sites to the ALA Conference Committee, as well as the Exhibits Round Table board, for recommendation (or not) to the ALA Executive Board.

Here is the current schedule of future sites, for your information.  We are showing you both ALA MW and AC and Division Conference sites.  Let me know if you have questions.

For those new to the ALA Conference Committee, sites for MW and AC are approved by the ALA Executive Board.  ALA Conference Services will bring proposed sites to the ALA Conference Committee, as well as the Exhibits Round Table board, for recommendation (or not) to the ALA Executive Board.

We are often asked why we select so far in advance.  It has to do with the size and complexity of the site the ALA requires.  We are (still) utilizing about 350 *concurrent* meeting rooms for AC.  That means we require not only a large convention center but hotels with significant "conference" facilities (meeting rooms) at a reasonable distance from the convention center.  We have historically had very minimal flexibility on dates -- looking at holidays, school schedules, other conferences in the library space, etc.  All in all, it's a tricky package to put together -- and the closer we get to the year of a conference, the more likely that one or more critical piece of the package will no longer be available.  So we, like other large conference sponsors, book far in advance and then let other, smaller, conferences, work around us, instead of vice versa. 

One piece of explanation, since you are all coming from different places in ALA:  The ACRL and PLA conferences are spring conferences; the AASL conferences are in the fall.  So the ACRL conference in 2015 will come between ALA MW and ALA AC; the 2015 AASL conference will come between the 2015 ALA AC and the 2016 ALA MW. 

Let me know if you have questions.

mg

More...

Online Doc Questions to ask on the survey

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 01:59 pm
in ALA Connect Survey Subcommittee

I took a first pass at coming up with questions for the Connect user survey, in no particular order. Please edit this document to fix language, add or remove questions, list questions in a different order, etc. There are a couple of similar questions, so we can keep the one we think gives us the best feedback.

We can discuss issues/concerns in the comments.

Once we have a final set of questions, I can create the survey in SurveyMonkey for review. - Jenny

I took a first pass at coming up with questions for the Connect user survey, in no particular order. Please edit this document to fix language, add or remove questions, list questions in a different order, etc. There are a couple of similar questions, so we can keep the one we think gives us the best feedback.

We can discuss issues/concerns in the comments.

Once we have a final set of questions, I can create the survey in SurveyMonkey for review. - Jenny


  1. What do you like best about Connect?
    [Comment box]
  2. Which features are most valuable to you?
    [Comment box]
  3. What do you find most frustrating about Connect?
    [Comment box]
  4. The thing I find most confusing about Connect is:
    [Comment box]
  5. If you could change one thing about Connect what would it be and how would you change it?
    [Comment box]
  6. What was the reason for your most recent visit to Connect?
    [Comment box]
  7. Were you able to do what you needed to do on that visit? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  8. Which tools do you use the most on the site? [Checkboxes]
    Calendar Events
    Chat
    Commenting via email
    Discussions
    Files
    Follow groups I'm not part of
    Meeting requests
    Member search
    MentorConnect
    Online Docs
    Opportunities Exchange
    Pictures
    Polls
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  9. Please rate the usefulness of the following features on Connect [Matrix]
    Extremely useful
    Very useful
    Moderately useful
    Slightly useful
    Not at all useful
    Haven't used this feature

    Calendar events
    Chat
    Commenting via email
    Discussion forums - committees, divisions, round tables
    Discussion forums - communities
    Email notifications of new content
    Group subject headings
    Meeting requests
    Member search
    MentorConnect
    Online Docs
    Opportunities Exchange
    Pictures
    Polls
    Uploading files
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:

  10. I'm able to find my groups easily [Agree - Disagree scale]
  11. I'm able to post content easily | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  12. I can find content easily | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  13. The site's navigation makes sense to me | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  14. Connect has helped my group do more work virtually than it used to do. | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  15. I've found useful information on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  16. I've read interesting discussions on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  17. I've participated in interesting discussions on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  18. How often do you use Connect? [Radio buttons]
    Daily - Weekly - Monthly - Quarterly - Annually - When I need to - Never
  19. How long have you been using Connect? [Radio buttons]
    Less than 1 year - 1-3 years - More than 3 years
  20. How visually appealing is the Connect website? [Radio buttons]
    Extremely appealing
    Quite appealing
    Moderately appealing
    Slightly appealing
    Not at all appealing
  21. When using Connect, how often do you find the information that you're looking for? [Radio buttons]
    Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  22. How much do you trust the security of the Connect website? [Radio buttons]
    A great deal of trust
    A lot of trust
    A moderate amount of trust
    A little trust
    No trust at all
  23. What would cause you to use the Connect website more frequently? [Checkboxes]
    I need to understand more about Connect.
    I feel like I need training on how to use Connect.
    If I received email reminders about it from time to time.
    More content available in Connect
    If other members also used it more frequently.
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  24. What is your preferred way to learn about new features in Connect? [Checkboxes]
    Announcement on the site
    Email
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  25. Have the help documents on the site answered a question you had or helped you resolve an issue? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Haven't used the help documents
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  26. Have you used the contact form on the site and received a satisfactory response/resolution? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Haven't used the contact form
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  27. Do you have any other suggestions to improve Connect that you haven't already mentioned?
    [Comment box]
  28. Are you a member of ALA? [Radio buttons]
    Yes - No
  29. If yes, which divisions/round tables are you a member of? [Checkboxes]
    Full list
  30. Please provide your name and email address if you'd like us to follow up with you about your comments or suggestions. [Input boxes]

 

More...

Discussion Introductions

by Angela Fortin on Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 02:05 pm
in RUSA RSS Library Service to Aging Population (Reference Services Section)

Please introduce yourself to the group, tell us a bit about your work, and your interest in the committee!

Online Doc Future Agenda Items List

by Melody Townley on Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:59 am
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

What is this?

Below are future board meeting agenda items.

How do you get an item on the board agenda?

Board members should share agenda item ideas on the board email list.  Note in your message subject that you are proposing an agenda item.  Non-board members should use the board contact form to share meeting agenda items to the board:  http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/contact/board 

The secretary will work with item-bringers, the chair, chair-elect and past-chair to craft agenda items.

What is this?

Below are future board meeting agenda items.

How do you get an item on the board agenda?

Board members should share agenda item ideas on the board email list.  Note in your message subject that you are proposing an agenda item.  Non-board members should use the board contact form to share meeting agenda items to the board:  http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/about/contact/board 

The secretary will work with item-bringers, the chair, chair-elect and past-chair to craft agenda items.

Meetings will be cancelled if there are no agenda items to share out at least 10 days before a meeting.

Agenda items should be shared with the board about 15 days before the meeting.

Reports shouldn't be read in meetings.  Links to reports should be shared out on the agenda 10 days before the meeting so all will have time to read them.  Reports can also be shared out on the board email list or the board contact form at anytime.

Each agenda item should include the following:

    • Action: state the desired outcome of the item (what do you want the board to do with your item?)
      • discussion OR listen to a report/update
    • Item Facilitator: Who will take responsibility for this item during the meeting and attend to work that must be done outside of the meeting?
    • Vote: Will voting be required?
    • Time: Estimate amount of time needed on agenda
    • Supporting Information: Supply related documents or links to them.

 

Agenda Items List

Table of contents:

  1. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins)
  2. Committee Member and Chair Guidelines (20 mins)
  3. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins)
  4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins)
  5. Potential Survey of GLBT Membership

 

1. Charge for Fundraising Committee (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 meeting]

Action: Motion to adopt a charge for the GLBTRT Fundraising Committee

Item Facilitator: Bylaws Committee and Larry Romans

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information: The draft charge for this committee was not adopted at the board meeting during 2013 Annual Conference because it didn't mention planned giving.

    • The charge language posed at that meeting is located here: http://connect.ala.org/node/208502

    • The meeting minutes for 2013 are located here:
      http://connect.ala.org/node/208501
    • New proposed draft charge: “Identifies and solicits funds from sources, other than member dues, to increase the long term investment fund for the Stonewall Book Awards and to fund other initiatives as set forth by the GLBTRT Board. Develops and implements a fundraising plan to encourage more GLBTRT members and others to donate.  Develops a list of potential individual, corporate, and foundation donors. Plans and implements planned giving, sponsorships, projects, and other fund raisers, Coordinates with the GLBTRT Treasurer and the ALA Development Office.”

 

2. Committee Member and Chair Guidelines (30 mins) [David V will rework this item and share with the board for a future meeting.]

Original Request from Board Contact Form
http://connect.ala.org/files/2014-GLBTRT-Cmte-Meetings-Guideline-Request.docx [WORD doc]

Action: Discuss adoption of general guidelines for committee chairs and members that cover things like participation expectations as well as dismissal procedures.

Action: Discuss accommodating committee members who cannot attend scheduled committee meetings at MW or Annual Conferences.  Former chair of Rainbow Committee, Christie suggested this language for what would be allowable: "in case of extreme emergency* (such as family illness or stranded by weather, members on those committees who have acted in good faith all year be able to attend virtually at ALA Midwinter."

Item Facilitator: David Vess [or anyone who wants to volunteer]

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information for Posed General Guidelines:  

Hi all, I've already covered this in the procedure manual I had to craft while I was chair (just to keep myself straight).  In fact, I had to work with Amanda Clay using the dismissal procedure to remove someone from Stonewall.  It went smoothly.  I also used it several other times while I was chair but I can't recall the details. In each instance things went smoothly.

I just touched this up a but to incorporate some things said in this email thread. dsv

LINK to posed General Cmte Guidelines:
https://sites.google.com/site/glbtrt/cmteprocedures

Supporting information for Accomidating Committee Members who cannot attend scheduled meetings:

    • As you meeting scheduler (a job the past-chair does) you should know that we cannot guarantee that every OTR, Rainbow or Stonewall meeting will have wireless access.  We can request wireless or even wired access but no guarantees can be made as to if the service will be provided.  dsv
    • I share the following since I did a lot of work to assure we had 'legal' GLBTRT Board meetings on line:  As long as the meeting is in real-time (not in email or discussion forums), there is no ALA policy that says a committees cannot use such tools as Skype to add others into a meeting who couldn't attend because of an emergency.  Committee members will already know about the meeting far in advance since it's help at MW or Annual.   dsv
    • More about online meetings is here: http://connect.ala.org/comment/35139#comment-35139

 

3. GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 meeting]

Action: Motion to adopt the below meeting document as board procedure.

During June 13 board meeting, the board: 1. Wasn't sure if all the language was needed.  2. Brainstormed about where these procedures would be placed.  The GLBTRT Leadership Responsibilities document was one suggestion.  Board decided this was an item for the Aug 2014 Conference Call.

Item Facilitator: David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting InformationDRAFT GLBTRT Board Meeting Norms Document [Word Document, 2 Pages]

 

4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 Meeting]

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

    • Examples: Look at any of the ALA division sites. They have their own header and color palette.
    • Costs:
      • Design of up to 6 feature slides for website: $400-500
      • Design of custom header for website and color scheme $400-500
      • List of potential slides to be developed: Book Awards; Elections; Committee Volunteering; Professional Resources Page; News site; Reviews site; OTR site; Rainbow Site;
      • If there is a concern with costs, I think it’s worth it to have professionally developed feature slides done first. We could live without a new website heading and color changes.

5. Potential Survey of GLBTRT Membership (10 mins) [Moved to September 2014 meeting]

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Karen Schneider

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information

 

6. Treasurer's Report (5 minutes) [September 2014]

4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 Meeting]

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

- See more at: http://connect.ala.org/node/214246#sthash.aya6YUN4.dpuf

4. Web Site Updates & Marketing Proposal (15 mins) [Moved to September 2014 Meeting]

Action: Motion to enlist ALA design services to create custom branding for the GLBTRT website and create feature slides for use on the round table home page.  (David and David recommend priority be given to the slides.)

Item Facilitator: David Isaak, GLBTRT Web Cmte Chair & David Vess

Vote: Yes

Supporting Information:

- See more at: http://connect.ala.org/node/214246#sthash.aya6YUN4.dpuf

 

Action: Update

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: n/a

Supporting Information: Dale will review the 10 month budget for GLBTRT.

More...

Event ALCTS Webinar: Using the Power of Excel to Help with Cutting a Budget

by Jane Rosario on Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:22 am
in ALCTS

Apologies in advance for multiple postings.

ALCTS Webinar: Using the Power of Excel to Help with Cutting a Budget

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sessions begin at 11 am Pacific | 12 Mountain | 1 pm Central | 2 pm Eastern and last about an hour.

Apologies in advance for multiple postings.

ALCTS Webinar: Using the Power of Excel to Help with Cutting a Budget

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Sessions begin at 11 am Pacific | 12 Mountain | 1 pm Central | 2 pm Eastern and last about an hour.

In this session, the presenter will show ways to use Excel spreadsheet functions and features to compile, organize, and evaluate data for many purposes, not the least of which is planning with a reduced budget. Content covered will include Excel and other spreadsheets, usage data, and data downloaded from an integrated library system.

Learning Outcomes

Attendees will learn ways to use Excel to compile, organize, and evaluate data for collection development planning in a reduced budget environment.

Who Should Attend?

Collection development and collection management librarians and support staff for collection management units.

Presenter

Karen Harker is Collection Assessment Librarian at the University of North Texas. She has more than twenty years of experience in public, academic, and medical libraries, in which she has worked analyzing systems, evaluating processes, managing research data sets, performing statistical analyses, and using qualitative and quantitative techniques to analyze collection strengths and weaknesses. Karen is a member of ALCTS and the Texas Library Association.

Fee

ALCTS Member (individual) . . . $43

Nonmember (individual) . . . $59

International (individual) . . . $43

Groups

(Applies to a group of people who will watch the webinar together from one access point.)

Member group . . . $99

Nonmember group . . . $129

All webinars are recorded and the one-time fee includes unlimited access to the webinar recording. All registered attendees will receive the link to the recorded session, so if you are unable to attend the webinar at the time it is presented, you will have the opportunity to listen to the recording at your convenience.

How to Register

To register, complete the online registration form or register by mail for the session you would like to attend.

Contact

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration@ala.org. For all other questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Julie Reese, ALCTS Events Manager, at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5034 or jreese@ala.org.

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.

More...

File August 2015 Meeting Minutes

by Rene Tanner on Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 03:40 pm
in ACRL Digital Curation Interest Group

PDF File, 115.36 KB

Pages