Latest From All Groups
For members who did not have the chance to join the Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services Town Hall, we still want to know your thoughts. I'm attaching the ODLOS report, the powerpoint for the town Hall and the Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion report.
Here are the three questions that we asked those in attendance to discuss. Please send us your thoughts on these questions.
Q1. Reflecting on the events of this past year, how has ALA been responsive in a way that resonated with or satisfied you? And in what ways has ALA not responded in a satisfying manner? How has either response impacted your professional role?
Q2. Do you feel served by your local professional networks in relation to equity, diversity, or inclusion?
a)If yes, what does this look like?
b)If no, what role can ALA play in filling this gap?
Q3. A common request that ALA offices and divisions hear is that there is a need to create space or opportunity for individuals to share their experiences (in regards to equity, diversity, inclusion, or social justice). Over the years this has led to the creation of many tools, spaces, and programs (ONE example is the Diversity Member Interest Group) that do not get much traffic or traction. Where do you feel or see a disconnect in these actions? How might we address that disconnect?
Ways to Respond:
- Please indicate which question you are responding to: Q1, Q2, or Q3
- Either respond directly here or you can send responses on social media if you use the hashtag #ODLOSTownHall
January meeting minutes
DLS Awards Committee Meeting
January 20, 2017
Present: Rebecca Nowicki, Brandon West, Lindsey Warton, and Cynthia Thomes
· Who is attending ALA?
· Sign-up for committee membership deadline
· Media Form for winner
· Event promotion and announcement of the winner
Who is attending ALA Annual?
Rebecca and Lindsey will be at ALA in Chicago, Cynthia might be able to make it, Brandon will not.
February deadline for committee membership
Rebecca affirmed that she would remain as Co-Chair for 2018 with Cynthia taking over for Brandon as incoming Co-Chair. Brandon and Lindsey hope to stay on the committee.
Reviewed Media Form
Rebecca will inform the winner and fill out the form and have it submitted to the ACRL Program Coordinator by Tuesday.
Promotion of the winner through the listservs.
At February meeting committee will draft and announcement to post to the listservs used for the Call for Nominations in mid to late February. This wording will be posted using the staggered approach utilized in the Call for Nominations and include information about the luncheon and alert readers to look for the sign-up sheet closer to annual.
Lindsey spoke with the Discussion Committee about reaching out to the winner for participation in a discussion session. They were excited by this idea. Rebecca will mention to the winner that this might be a possibility if they are interested.
Brandon will compose an email to notify the other applicants and will send it out to review this week. He will also send it to the other candidates on Friday
Rebecca will send out Doodle poll for the next month’s meetings.
Rebecca will contact the winner and fill out the media form
Rebecca will speak to Chase in March about the sign-up sheet for the luncheon
- Brandon will compose an email to notify the other applicants and will send it out to review this week. He will also send it to the other candidates on Friday
Sorry for the long delay and short notice of this email. By now everyone should have received their stack of books. Please communicate with Neal or me if you are experiencing any problems or have questions.
We will meet on Sunday at Midwinter. Please let me know if you will be there in person. Once I arrive in Atlanta I will check out the situation for wifi, probably Saturday morning. If we are going to have access to wifi I will send out information regarding attending the meeting electronically.
Please respond whether you will attend or not as it will make a difference with the content of the agenda.
- Sunday, January 22, 2017
- 1:00-2:30 PM (Eastern Time)
- OMNI hotel-Birch room
Board liaisons, please list three or more items highlighting the great work your groups have been doing since Annual.
50th Anniversary Task Force: Thomas Dowling and Aimee Fifarek
- Working on fundraising from current and past Board members to support scholarship funds - have raised over $4,000 so far.
- Have been working with CAM and Membership to spread the word about the 50th online and F2F and create opportunities to donate at conference, including some awesome swag and donation acknowledgement strategy.
- Drafted process for selecting scholarship winners
Appointments Committee: Andromeda Yelton
- Creating & documenting a process for how the committee can work, as this is its first year in operation (see http://docs.lita.org/board/vice-president/appointments/ )
- Filling immediate committee vacancies
- Doing outreach (to chairs in re committee needs, and to individuals we'd like to have involved)
Assessment and Research Committee: Christopher Lawton
Committee and Interest Group Chair Coordinators: Bohyun Kim
Communications and Marketing Committee: Aimee Fifarek
- Spreading word about the CAM promotion request submission form and has develop a social media calendar to spread the work evenly across committee members
- Working on creating a manual for future CAM Chairs
- Intend to revise CAM charge in the Spring in order to better represent the capacity of the committee.
Diversity & Inclusion: Evviva Weinraub
- Committee formed & met for the first time
- Creation of a definition of diversity within LITA to be posted on LITA blog by the end of January
- Creation of a Conference Buddy Program - implemented for MidWinter
Education Committee: Ken Varnum
- Work toward revising documentation
- Determining appropriate responsibilities between the committee and the LITA Office
- Collaborating with the Program Planning Committee on identifying pre-conference workshops for ALA Annual 2017.
Membership Development Committee: Susan Sharpless Smith
- Planned and delivered monthly LITAChat programming.
- Extensive event planning for: Forum (networking dinner), MW (Open House, Happy Hour) and Annual (usual + 50th anniversary events)
- Began work on Tactical Plan assignments
Metadata Standards Committee: Ranti Junus
- Continue focusing on outreach and education through the blog http://metaware.buzz/
- Working with the Metadata IG on programming for Annual
- Looking at possible new projects for the upcoming year.
Program Planning Committee: Ranti Junus
- Sent out acceptance letters to the presenters for ALA Annual 2017
- Finished the scheduling
Publications Committee and ITAL Editorial Board: Thomas Dowling
- Brought Michael Witt on as committee chair. Thanks to Michael for stepping into a position that has had a lot of unavoidable churn the last couple of years. He is proving to be a very active, involved chair who is energizing the committee.
- Focused efforts of the committee members to support the LITA Guides series, including brainstorming sessions to generate topic ideas and recommend prospective authors.
- Preparing a call for proposals with suggested topics: Technology for K-12; Budgeting for Technology; Developing Successful Technology Plans; Developing In-House Technology Expertise.
- Contacting select LITA Forum presenters about their interest in developing guides from their presentation topics.
Top Technology Trends Committee: Ranti Junus
- Selected panelists for the 2017 ALA MidWinter program.
- Met with the panelists to work on the topics
- Selected panelists for the Annual 2017
- Worked on a porject to go through past trends and list them in slideshow format to commemorate LITA 50th anniversary.
Web Coordinating Committee: Jenny Emanuel Taylor
- Worked on author attributions for LITA blog so authors can get credit for their work (Mark has been publishing posts)
- 50th Anniversary site
- Subcommittee to look at LITA's website to streamline content and highlight ways to get involved
- Job site mockup: http://jobs.liblogarian.com/
- LITA website mainenance
*Please excuse cross postings*
Register for the ALCTS New Members Interest Group meeting:
Date and time: Saturday, January 21, 2017, 10:30AM-11:30AM
Location: The Georgia World Congress Center (GWCC), Room B213
Are you a library school student or new professional considering membership with ALCTS? Want to learn more about the division and how you can get involved? If so, then please consider joining the ALCTS New Member Interest Group (ANMIG) at our ALA Midwinter meeting in a casual and fun filled event to learn more about what ALCTS has to offer you!
The meeting will feature breakout groups organized around topics that are of interest to library school students and new professionals such as: getting involved with ALCTS, being a new professional, building your resume, current trends in technical services, presenting at conferences, professional networking, and publishing with ALCTS. These breakout groups will provide an opportunity for new members to dialog with each other and ALCTS leaders, who will facilitate the table topic and answer all your questions. Attendees will come away with a better understanding of ALCTS, and don’t forget that the winners of the ALCTS Trivia Contest will also be announced!
We look forward to seeing you at the ANMIG meeting!