Latest From All Groups
in GLBTRT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)
in LLAMA MAES Using Measurement Data for Library Planning, Assessment and Communication (Measurement, Assessment, and Evaluation Section)
How do other libraries use data to assess, promote, or improve their services? LLAMA MAES invites you to "Say-it-in-Six Lightning Rounds: Case Studies on Using Data to Improve Library Services" at the 2014 ALA Conference. The format for the six minutes of presentation is adapted from Ron Hoff’s book Say It in Six: How to Say Exactly What You Mean in Six Minutes or Less.
When: Monday, June 30th, from 8:30am-10am.
Where: Las Vegas Hotel, Pavilion 11
This fast-paced program will feature five presenters from a variety of settings. Sit back and watch each presenter give a brief presentation at your table, followed by time for Q&A. Presenters include:
- Josh Boyer, North Carolina State University, reporting on several small-scale usability tests modeled after user experience designer Steve Krug
- Greg Careaga, University of California, Santa Cruz, presenting on a student survey assessing support for maintaining library operating hours
- Linda Garvin, Edmonton Public Library, discussing the “Activity per Hour per FTE” table that helps with staffing allocations
- Helene Lafrance & Joanne Britton, Santa Clara University, discussing a mixed methods approach to assessing the information commons
- Heather Greer Klein, NC LIVE, presenting on using library characteristics and vendor usage data to create peer groupings and usage benchmarks for North Carolina libraries
*Attendance will be limited to 120 participants to allow for the small group discussion format. We hope to see you there!
in New Members Round Table (NMRT) Board and Committee Chairs
In order to submit your progress report, please add a comment at the bottom of this post rather than creating a separate post or document for your report. This way, it will be easy for the Secretary to find the report and make sure it is linked with the list below:
- NMRT Professional Development Grant Committee
- Annual Conference Local Information Committee
- Annual Conference Professional Development Attendance Award Committee
- Association Options Fair Committee
- Endnotes Committee
- Handbook Committee
- Liaison Coordination & Support
- LLAMA/NMRT Joint Committee on Collaboration
- Membership Pavilion Committee
- Membership, Promotion, Diversity and Recruitment Committee
- Mentoring Committee
- Midwinter Social Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Online Discussion Forum
- Orientation Committee
- President's Program
- Resume Review Service Committee
- Shirley Olofson Memorial Award Committee
- Student Chapter of the Year Award (SCOTYA) Committee
- Student Reception Committee
- Student and Student Chapter Outreach Committee (SASCO)
- Vice Presidential Planning Committee
- Web Committee
in ACRL IS Mentoring Program (Instruction Section)
in LLAMA HRS Leadership Skills Committee (Human Resources Section)
ALA Annual 2014, Las Vegas, CA
LLAMA/HRS Leadership Skills Committee Meeting Minutes
Saturday, June 28, 2014
8:30-10am, LVH-Ballroom A
Members in attendance: Carlette Washington-Hoagland, chair; Susan Erickson; Evviva Weinraub Lajoie, Wanda Brown; and Melissa Carr
Guest: Lisabeth Chabot
Carlette opened the meeting and Melissa agreed to record the minutes.
2014 Program Proposal “Leading Virtual Teams.”
The committee discussed that there had been a recent webinar on this topic, but felt that a conference program would reach a different audience. The working title for this program is “Effective Management of Dispersed Teams” or “Effective Management of Virtual Teams.” Carlette and Evviva will modify the proposal and submit it.
- Clarify focus of program: How to effectively manage; motivate, engage, facilitate, and ensure project completion of virtual teams
- Panelists should provide examples of:
- How to build community; foster relationships; maintain momentum and focus; motivate participation; and develop effective reporting and accountability structures.
- Policy changes to aid the transition from traditional to virtual team management.
Evviva and Carlette will also check on possible partnerships with LITA and PLA. Melissa will look for a public library speaker for the panel.
Potential Preconference Program on “Recruitment of Diverse Staff”
This preconference will include writing job descriptions, developing an effective search committee, interviewing, onboarding and cultural competency. The committee discussed a working title of “Out with the old, in with the new-- Strategies for recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce” (or staff or community or population.) Wanda will start working on the paperwork for this preconference. Carlette will send Wanda a pre-conference proposal form.
Other Future Program Topics discussed included:
- Motivational Interviewing
- Creating a more respectful work environment/Civility in the Workplace
- Building Trust-Team building Techniques and Tools (i.e., StrengthFinder, True Colors, Research review on the power of daring bravely, the power of vulnerability (Brene’ Brown: http://brenebrown.com/ ; TED talk- http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability and Leading with dignity, Donna Hicks: (http://drdonnahicks.com/2013/11/leading-with-dignity/ ); TED talk- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPF7QspiLqM&feature=kp )
- Unconscious Bias. Microagressions deconstructed (Diane Finnerty, Director, Faculty HR and Development, University of Iowa- http://uiowa.academia.edu/DianeFinnerty ) or Lindsey Jarratt, Chief Diversity Officer, University of Iowa (http://diversity.uiowa.edu/lindsay-jarratt )
- The Glass Elevator-Professor Christine Williams-Gender, race and inequality in the workplace ( http://onthemarc.org/blogs/23/167#.U4y4L09OUpE ; http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/sociology/faculty/clwillia)
Jan Sung from the LLAMA Program Committee stopped by to discuss the timeline for programs and preconferences. For a preconference we need to present to the Program committee 18 months prior to the program and for a conference program we need 12 months.
Laine Stambaugh also met with us to discuss our program ideas and talk about appointments to this committee.
in ACRL Communities of Practice Assembly
in ACRL STS Library Assessment Committee (Science and Technology Section)
Draft STS Assessment Committee Meeting
ALA Annual 2014 Saturday June 28th
8:30 AM to 10:00 AM LVH-Pavilion 09
Las Vegas, NV
Present: Amy Neeser, Shannon Farrell, Amy Gullen, Brian Young, Cherie Turner, Tim Klassen
Review of minutes from Midwinter 2014 virtual meeting
3) Reports from liaisons to other STS Committees
a. Continuing Education – ready to run survey, looks likely to go through ACRL list shortly and they will then need to some help
b. Government Information
e. Publications - nothing to report
f. Research - nothing to report
h. Scholarly Publications
i. Information Literacy
j. Subject Librarians Task Force
4) Update on Annual 2014 program “Demonstrating Success through Assessment”
Everything in progress
5) Discussion of activities for committee in 2015 year
Work with continuing ed.
Investigate Google forms
Goal is to have new forms ready for midwinter
Do a bi-annual schedule
Make a really strong program for Orlando
Target for authors who are experts, do a literature search – assessment coordinators at bigger schools – contact Devin Savage – Northwestern University, Assessment Librarian
Co-partner with ACRL assessment committee
Library assessment conference
Doodle mid September for both October and December
Virtual meeting end of October– Skype – agenda assessment form, session for Orlando
Aim for a virtual meeting for midwinter -
6) Excellence Report
Goal 1 objective 2
in GLBTRT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)
GLBT Round Table members
The board's meeting agenda and minutes are posted. This document captures what your board is doing. At the bottom of the document, you will find links to all committee and representative reports that were submitted. Thanks to David Issak (our wonderful outgoing chair of web committee) for reminding me that we need to post links to these materials in the GLBTRT ALA Connect space.
- 2014 ALA Annual Conference GLBTRT Executive Board Minutes and Committee Reports
- Our Annual Conference events are all listed in the Scheduler.
- Want to Contact someone in GLBTRT? Use our Contact page.
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)