Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
Student Gift Membership Task Force

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 3/14/17 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:51 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, March 14, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, March 14, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

2. Communication with Recipients

 

3. Blog Post

 

4. Q&A and Other Business

 

5. Review of New Action Items

 

6. Next Meeting Dates

iday, April 14, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

iday, May 19, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

iday, June 9, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

 

More...
Virtual Worlds Interest Group (ACRL)

Discussion Digital Citizenship Exhibit Tour Mar 18th

by Valerie Hill (non-member) on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 08:32 pm

Join the Community Virtual  Library for the opening of the upper deck of a virtual Digital Citizenship Exhibit.  The presentations share wide perspectives of the topic which is becoming essential for all age groups in digital culture.

WHERE CVL Exhibit Area SLurl:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bradley%20University/31/182/24

WHEN 1pm Pacific Time/ 3pm Central

ALA Council

Online Doc Addition of Word versions of IFC's 3 draft interpretations of the Library Bill of Rights

by Doug Archer on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 02:48 pm

It has been suggested that providing copies of the draft interpretations in Word in addition to PDF would be helpful.  Here they are.  And many thanks for the suggestion!

Best wishes,

Doug

ALCTS

Event ALCTS webinar: Mythbusting: Search For A Tech Services Generalist

by Gina Solares on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:08 pm

ALCTS webinar: Mythbusting: Search For A Tech Services Generalist

Date: Wednesday, April 5, 2017

This webinar is 60 minutes in length and will begin at 11am Pacific, noon Mountain, 1pm Central, and 2pm Eastern time.

ALCTS webinar: Mythbusting: Search For A Tech Services Generalist

Date: Wednesday, April 5, 2017

This webinar is 60 minutes in length and will begin at 11am Pacific, noon Mountain, 1pm Central, and 2pm Eastern time.

Session 5 of the five-session series Re-envisioning Technical Services: Identifying Leadership and Talent Management Best Practices

Description:  The changing landscape of scholarly communication and digital information services has dramatically changed the scope of library technical services - but have our libraries changed our expectations of technical services librarians? Rogers will explore her library's experiences, and the experiences of other library directors searching for the "modern" technical services librarian, and consider how libraries have and have not responded to shifts in the changing landscape -- and what we can do now to begin futureproofing ourselves.

Learning outcomes:

Attendees will:

* Understand the need to update our expectations of technical services librarians

* Consider possible future actions in training, advertising for, and hiring technical services librarians

* Reconsider their own assumptions about technical services librarians' capabilities and roles

Who should attend? Library and technical services managers and others interested in the future of technical services

Presenter:

Jenica P. Rogers is Director of Libraries and College Archives and Dorf Endowed Director of Applied Learning at the State University of New York at Potsdam. Previously, she held positions in cataloging, collection development, and staff training. Jenica earned her MLIS from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Her current professional interests include looking at how the information economy is breaking down and reforming following the advent of the internet, and informing, mentoring, and supporting new library professionals.

*****************

Registration Fees (per individual webinar or series of 5 webinars):  

ALCTS Member $43 ; series of 5 webinars: $172

Non-member $59 ; series of 5 webinars: $236

Group rate (members/non-members) $129 ; series of 5 webinars: $516  

For additional information and access to registration links, please go to the following website:

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/040517

ALCTS webinars are recorded and registrants receive a link to the recording shortly following the live event.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration@ala.org. For all other questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Julie Reese, ALCTS Events Manager at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5034 or alctsce@ala.org.

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.

More...
ACRL DLS (Distance Learning Section)

Online Doc Notes from Recent DLS RoundTable Conversation: Tools for Online Learning

by Natalie Bennett on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:03 am

Hello!

Here are the notes from the recent DLS Instruction Committee RoundTable Conversation: Tools for Online Learning, which took place on 3/1/17. Each breakout room had fruitful conversations and many tools were discussed. I went through the notes to create this document, summarizing everyone’s thoughts on each tool and hyperlinking to each tools’ website. Attached is the PDF, and here's the link to it through Google Drive: 

Hello!

Here are the notes from the recent DLS Instruction Committee RoundTable Conversation: Tools for Online Learning, which took place on 3/1/17. Each breakout room had fruitful conversations and many tools were discussed. I went through the notes to create this document, summarizing everyone’s thoughts on each tool and hyperlinking to each tools’ website. Attached is the PDF, and here's the link to it through Google Drive: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxQDYlcTaXNIdTlJNC1pLVBSdDA

I hope this is useful for you! Please keep your eyes peeled for upcoming DLS events. 

Best,

Natalie Bennett & Anjali Bhasin

DLS Instruction committee co-chairs

 

Natalie Bennett
Online Services Librarian
UC Foundation Assistant Professor
UTC Library
University of Tennessee Chattanooga
423-425-4469
natalie-bennett@utc.edu
 
Anjali Bhasin
Public Services Librarian
School of Library and Information Studies Library
University of Wisconsin-Madison
(608)890-4860
Bhasin2@wisc.edu

 

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Call for Proposals:Code4Lib Journal

by Twanna Hodge on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:39 am

Deadline is  iday, April 14, 2017.

The Code4Lib Journal (C4LJ) exists to foster community and share information among those interested in the intersection of libraries, technology, and the future.

Deadline is  iday, April 14, 2017.

The Code4Lib Journal (C4LJ) exists to foster community and share information among those interested in the intersection of libraries, technology, and the future.

URL: http://journal.code4lib.org.
We are now accepting proposals for publication in our 37th issue.  Don’t miss out on this opportunity to share your ideas and experiences. To be included in the 37th issue, which is scheduled for publication in mid July 2017, please submit articles, abstracts, or proposals at http://journal.code4lib.org/submit-proposal or to journal@code4lib.org by iday,  April 14, 2017. When submitting, please include the title or subject of the proposal in the subject line of the email message and the acceptance of the Journal’s US CC-By 3.0 license in the body of the message. The editorial committee will review all proposals and notify those accepted by iday, April 21, 2017.  Please note that submissions are subject to rejection or postponement at any point in the publication process as determined by the Code4Lib Journal’s editorial committee.
 
C4LJ encourages creativity and flexibility, and the editors welcome submissions across a broad variety of topics that support the mission of the journal. Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
* Practical applications of library technology (both actual and hypothetical)
* Technology projects (failed, successful, or proposed), including how they were done and challenges faced
* Case studies
* Best practices
* Reviews
* Comparisons of third party software or libraries
* Analyses of library metadata for use with technology
* Project management and communication within the library environment
* Assessment and user studies

 
C4LJ strives to promote professional communication by minimizing the barriers to publication. While articles should be of a high quality, they need not follow any formal structure. Writers should aim for the middle ground between blog posts and articles in traditional refereed journals. Where appropriate, we encourage authors to submit code samples, algorithms, and pseudo-code. For more information, visit C4LJ’s Article Guidelines or browse articles from the earlier issues published on our website: http://journal.code4lib.org.
Send in a submission. Your peers would like to hear what you are doing.


-Sara Amato, Coordinating Editor for Issue 37
-Code4Lib Journal Editorial Committee

More...
GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2017 March Executive Board Meeting Agenda

by Paul Kelly on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 08:05 am

2017 March Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, March 15th, 3:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2017 March Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, March 15th, 3:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
3
:00 (5m)

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the March 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the February 2017 Executive Board meeting. (Link: 2017FebruaryExecutiveBoardMeetingAgendaAndMinutes.docx

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
3
:05 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances.

3:15 (10m)

 

4. GLBTRT Planned Giving Update

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Ann has been working on a planned giving memorandum of understanding; the Board will discuss the section regarding GLBTRT’s future responsibilities with regards to the MOA.
3
:25 (10m)

 

5. Update from Emerging Leaders

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ana Elisa De Campos Salles, Lucas McKeever

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Emerging Leader Lucas McKeever will be calling in to update the Board on the work of the EL class of 2017.
3
:35 (10m)

 

6. Stonewall Winner Book Talk Proposal
Action: Discussion and Vote
Item Facilitators: Ann Symons

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Nicholas Brown from Library of Congress contacted Ann about having Stonewall award winners participating in book talks and signings at Library of Congress. The Board will discuss.

3:45 (10m)

 

 

7. GLBTRT Social Media Policy

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Matt Ciszek

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will resume discussion of the latest draft social media policy, attached here: GLBTRT Social Media Guidelines - Edited.docx

3:55 (10m)

 

 

8. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

4:00 (end)

More...
GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2017 February Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

by Paul Kelly on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 08:01 am

2017 February Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, February 15th, 6:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2017 February Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, February 15th, 6:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
6
:00 (5m)

Minutes: Called to order at 6 PM with participants: Jennifer Maguire-Wright, Ana Elisa de Campos Salles, Deb Sica, Sherry Machones, Elizabeth DeCoster, and Erin Berman.

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the February 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the January 2017 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/263753

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
6
:05 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances. Attached are the two pieces for the FY18 budget, a draft budget (spreadsheet) and a Word doc with some description and points for the board to consider.

Links: http://connect.ala.org/files/GLBTRT%20FY%2018%20Budget%20Worksheet.xlsx

http://connect.ala.org/files/How%20to%20read%20GLBTRT%20FY18%20Worksheet.docx

6:20 (15m)

Minutes: We had a rollover of $9,000. Should last us until fiscal year end. 2 folders of financial info in Connect. Caveat: last year Liz was given a worksheet to develop budget, which was not available this year. Joel: can we use the cheat sheet from last year? Liz: that's what she did for FY17. For FY18, we can carry over our endowed funds ($9228). Good news. Endowment has grown considerably over the last few years. Increased anticipated revenue from dues by $800. Deb: Gale might host Emerging Leader project. Revenue reported from social? Non endowment funds. 7$38 in donations at the door. Increase meal budget to $5,000? Is everybody happy with proposed dues increase? David: yes. Membership likely to grow. Liz: growth rate generally 10% per year. Endowment: $9,248. Use $1,000 and roll $8,000 back into the endowment? No objections. Liz: should we vote on the budget over email?

 

4. Understanding Last Year's Budget and Discussion of Next Year's Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster, Ann Symons

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The board will discuss year end results.

2016 Budget: http://connect.ala.org/node/263444

2017 Budget Breakdown: http://connect.ala.org/node/250027 

2017 Budget Worksheet: http://connect.ala.org/node/263442

Treasurer’s Report, Midwinter 2017: http://connect.ala.org/node/263443

2017 Reimbursement Form: http://connect.ala.org/node/263446
6
:25 (5m)

 

5. Charges to the Fundraising Committee

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica, Erin Berman

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The fundraising committee has drafted a fundraising appeal that it would like to send to members. The board will review.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/11jbJhNGsYfhbuSdmK6FdHWorym0Yg15uWIBsP-9JusI/edit
6
:35 (10m)

Minutes: Erin: chair of fundraising committee. Started drawing attention to Emerging Leader, putting more money into that fund. Compiling database of ELs that are GLBTRT members. Emailed Fobazi directly. Doing spotlights on the ELs. Want to send out a new fundraising letter encouraging people to donate to EL instead of just Stonewall. Goal of $10,000. Deb: we should also secure money for Spectrum.  Erin: is a fund established for that? No. David: feedback on email to the listserv. Erin: Gathering info only on people that want to be part of the spotlight, but no pressure to connect.

 

 

6. Bylaws Draft Vote
Action: Discussion and Vote
Item Facilitators: Deb Sica, Gina Persichini

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the latest updates to the ongoing Bylaws revision process.

6:45 (10m)

Minutes: Bylaws to go up as-is.

 

7. Google Sites Project Discussion

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak

Vote: No

Supporting Information: At ALA Midwinter, David, Deb, Jen, Ana Elisa, Liz, and Rachael Stein (from the Web Committee) met to discuss RT technical infrastructure and the possible creation of a new RT documentation space using Google Sites 2.0. Please see the attached minutes. Questions for the Executive Board include:

1) Is the creation of a new RT Google Site a project we want to move forward with?

2) Should there be any changes or additions to the action items listed in the minutes from Mid-winter?

6:55 (10m)

Minutes: Board can oversee the Google site in a way they can't with Connect. Role of web committee? Ensuring web access continuity as board members change. Improve handoff between outgoing and incoming chairs. Midwinter action items: Deb should have liaisons reach out to committees to find out which tools like Drive they're using. Jen checking with Bylaws committee. Creating hierarchy in the drive account.  Any questions? Joel: no. Deb: new site or pick apart the old one. Consensus: go with new one! David: motion to have Web committee create Google site to be a repository of RT documentation moving forward. Single spot for the RT. Ana Elisa seconds. Motion passes.

 

8. Emerging Leader Membership to RT

Action: Discussion/Vote

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The board will vote upon whether to offer Emerging Leaders complimentary membership to GLBTRT.

7:00 (5m)

Minutes: Our selected Emerging Leader was not actually a member of GLBTRT. What should we do about that? Ana Elisa: we just need to be proactive and check. In future, make sure they are members. David: person we sponsor should be a member for duration of the project. But we don't want to offer refunds if they're already members. Motion that we extend membership retroactively; Sherry seconds. Jen opposed. Motion passes. 

 

 

9. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

7:05 (end)

More...
ALCTS New Members Interest Group

Discussion ANMIG Article: “Troublesome Catalogers and Metadata Fairies”

by Zachary Stein on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 09:37 pm

Take a look at the article “Troublesome Catalogers and Metadata Fairies” to learn about important aspects of technical services and collections and the evolution of the cataloging from AACR2 to BIBFRAME as well.

The article was written by Victoria Carlson, ANMIG Co-Vice Chair.

Pages