Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
ALA Diversity Council (COD Sub-Committee)

Online Doc Agenda - Diversity Council - 2008 Midwinter Business Meeting

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:46 am

AGENDA

Diversity Council Business Meeting
ALA Midwinter Meeting Philadelphia
Friday, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
Marriott Philadelphia, Room 413
Jody Gray, Chair Presiding

Introductions and welcome to new members - Jody
Approval of minutes from Annual '07 meeting
 

ONGOING BUSINESS ITEMS

List of candidates for Council positions at ALA (Jody)
Update on the blog/wiki  

PROGRAMS

Diversity 101 (Karen)    
    

AGENDA

Diversity Council Business Meeting
ALA Midwinter Meeting Philadelphia
Friday, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
Marriott Philadelphia, Room 413
Jody Gray, Chair Presiding

Introductions and welcome to new members - Jody
Approval of minutes from Annual '07 meeting
 

ONGOING BUSINESS ITEMS

List of candidates for Council positions at ALA (Jody)
Update on the blog/wiki  

PROGRAMS

Diversity 101 (Karen)    
    

REPORTS & NEW BUSINESS ITEMS

Chair of Committee on Diversity (Valeria Bell)
Office for Diversity Report (Karen)
Discussion/Questions about affiliate reports
Items to be sent to Committee on Diversity

ADDITIONAL ITEMS

 

 

More...
DEFUNCT Young Professionals Working Group

Online Doc ALA Annual Meeting Notes, 7/14

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:46 am

"Young Turks" Task Force
Meeting Notes

ALA Annual 2009
Tuesday, July 14 9-11am CT

Attendees: Liz Bishoff (co-chair), Karen Downing (co-chair), Xima Avalos, Brett Bonfield, Emily Ford (by phone), Kim Leeder (notetaker), Alex Rivera 

Note: Other attendees are invited to edit, revise, add to these notes. 

"Young Turks" Task Force
Meeting Notes

ALA Annual 2009
Tuesday, July 14 9-11am CT

Attendees: Liz Bishoff (co-chair), Karen Downing (co-chair), Xima Avalos, Brett Bonfield, Emily Ford (by phone), Kim Leeder (notetaker), Alex Rivera 

Note: Other attendees are invited to edit, revise, add to these notes. 

1.  Introductions

2.  Review Board meeting
-ALA Exec Board approved the proposal with changes, we will move toward creating a new committee, perhaps to be called the Young Librarians Task Force (TBD)
-12-14 members
-include representation from NMRT, ethnic caucuses, Emerging Leaders, others?

3.  Task Force Charge
Working name: Young Librarians Task Force
Draft charge pulled from proposal:

The Task Force will identify strategies and actions for ALA, its offices, committees, divisions and round tables to be more responsive to the young librarians who will be its members and future leaders with a goal of increasing retention rates.     

The Task Force will develop a recommended plan of action with short, medium and long-term goals for ALA to better meet the needs of young librarians.

To do that the Task Force will:

  • Investigate what affiliates and other professional associations are doing to integrate young professionals into the profession and association
  • Collect/review data on what young librarians need from ALA
  • Review ALA activities underway that may address the needs of young librarians, such as electronic participation
  • Review how ALA divisions have reorganized to streamline processes; assess if this has resulted in improved involvement and retention of young librarians.

Task Force Composition: The Task Force will include the existing eight members of the Young Turks Working Group, along with several representatives who have experience in divisions and round tables.

The Task Force will present an initial report for the October ALA Executive Board meeting, a mid-project report at Midwinter to the Board and have a final report by Annual Conference, 2010.

Plan is to put the draft charge on ALA Connect space for editing and revision. Xima will take responsibility for adding docs to ALA Connect and backing them up.

Some discussion over making the space public. Xima suggested getting blog space to post info & docs.

Question raised of who the task force's primary and secondary market/audience will be. To be addressed once committee is formed.

4.  Appointment of new committee members

[Brainstormed potential members; names omitted for privacy reasons]

5.  Statistics from ALA

Need to talk more with John about what data they have to get more detailed stats by age. Need a better grasp on the larger picture.

6.  Investigate what's been done
 --Existing ALA activities
 --What divisions might have done to enable activities
 --Non-ALA examples

To be addressed by new cmte.

7.  Is there low hanging fruit that might accomplish change?

To be addressed by new cmte.

A few thoughts that came up:

Better promoting current organizational elements in place for young librarian (in addition to looking for ways to change the ass'n to be more welcoming)

8.  Assignments and deadlines

End of Aug: Appointments to cmte
1st wk of Oct: Timeline, appointments, etc. (for 10/23-25 ALA Exec Bd mtg)
Midwinter conf: Written report for Exec Bd

Brett suggested inviting young librarians to submit short video clips answering the Q of why or why not they're a member of ALA. Can be used in board report.

Will need to consider multiple approaches to get info from members & nonmembers, tech-savvy and non-tech

9.  Meeting and communications

Will test ALA Connect chat on 8/3 at 3:15 Eastern to see if we can have regular weekly chat to touch base. To be discussed during chat.

10.  Next Steps

  • Revise charge online
  • Xima to put proposal on ALA Connect with indication that ALA Exec Bd approved, note that stats are not analogous. Will run revision by Karen before posting.
  • ALA Connect chat test 8/3 - bring your calendar to schedule future chats
  • Run group name, charge & suggested cmte members by Camila before 8/3, Liz will give notes to Xima to put on ALA Connect
  • Camila will let us know how appointments will work.
  • Liz/Karen will schedule an official meeting for Midwinter, possibly Fri AM.
  • Xima will start an open blog where we will post and share the committee's efforts. We can share everything on the blog other than names of potential members & be transparent. This will be a good way to gather comments, feedback, and communicate with all who are interested. We can also ask for feedback about video project idea.
More...

Pages