Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
LITA Board of Directors

Online Doc Draft 2015 Technology Goal & Technology Objectives for other Goal Areas

by Michelle Frisque on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:49 pm

 

Final draft that was submitted to ALA can be found in the comments section!

 

Very early - still needs wordsmithing draft Goal Area recommendation - technology

Goal Area: Information Technology Leadership

Goal Statement: ALA leads libraries in taking advantage of established and emerging information technologies

 

Final draft that was submitted to ALA can be found in the comments section!

 

Very early - still needs wordsmithing draft Goal Area recommendation - technology

Goal Area: Information Technology Leadership

Goal Statement: ALA leads libraries in taking advantage of established and emerging information technologies

Objective (1): Develop a web presence that embodies the spirit of a contemporary association of leading edge information professionals and exemplifies the use of information technologies in support of experimental and innovative professional activities for librarians of all kinds

Objective (2): Attract leading information technology innovators and groups to engage with library issues and challenges through ALA's online presence and at association events and activities.

Objective (3): Draw on organization expertise to advocate for appropriate information technology related public policy which will impact libraries. 
((We may want to move this to the Advocacy & Outreach Goal))

Objective (4): Become a leader in the use of information technology for virtual organization participation

Objective (5): Become a leader in educating librarians in the use of information technology in libraries

Objective (6): Bring ALA & ALA membership up-to-speed with technology, and keep everyone informed of what's on the horizon (from: http://connect.ala.org/node/92607 comments)

Note: Could 5 and 6 be combined? They seem very close in meaning and intent.

Looking at the Goals that are already listed in the Draft Strategic Plan and thinking that some of them need objectives that relate to technology as well. 

Goal Area: Advocacy and Public Policy

Goal Statement: ALA equips and leads advocates for libraries and the library profession and plays a key role in formulating policies and standards that affect library services.

((add this objective to the Advocacy and Public Policy Goal.))

Objective (7): ALA will harness social networking technologies to rally support and further educate interested parties in advocating for the importance and value of all types of libraries and the role of librarians and library staff.

Goal Area: Member Engagement

Goal Statement: ALA provides an environment in which all members participate in, contribute to, and benefit from engagement in their association

((add this objective to the Member Engagement Goal. ))

Objective (5): Actively engage members, both virtually and in person, throughout the year.

Goal Area: Building the Profession

Goal Statement: ALA ensures excellence and diversity in the library field.

((add these objectives to the Building the Profession Goal.))

Objective (5): Ensure that the library workforce skills and expertise keeps pace with the changing technology landscape and the diverse demands of the library community.
(this is actually adapted from the CLIR Goals http://www.clir.org/about/goals.html )

Objective (6): Analyze changes in the information landscape and help library workforce and educators prepare for them.
(this is actually adapted from the CLIR Goals
http://www.clir.org/about/goals.html - it needs a rewrite but I like what they are saying and think ALA should be doing this too on a larger scale)

More...
ALCTS

Discussion Don't Know How to Update Your Group's Web Page?

by Christine McConnell (non-member) on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 02:51 pm

Have you been asked to submit updated content for your group's web page? Don't know what to do?

No worries--there are four simple steps and you don't need training. All you have to do is fill out an online form.

Just refer to the Quick Guide for instructions and answers to your questions.

Remember: if you need help crafting text or obtaining institutional knowledge, consult any member of the Project Help Desk (listed in the Quick Guide document) for information.

GODORT Steering

Discussion Template for minutes: from draft through approval

by John Stevenson on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 01:56 pm

Since minutes are being posted on the GODORT wiki now and the minutes form does not support this function, many members of Steering requested a template to make it easier to create minutes.  On behalf of GODORT's Ad Hoc Committee on Communications, a template is now linked from the Agendas & Minutes page.  This minutes template includes a coded outline for draft minutes and notes to remind the recorder of mandatory and desired content.

Since minutes are being posted on the GODORT wiki now and the minutes form does not support this function, many members of Steering requested a template to make it easier to create minutes.  On behalf of GODORT's Ad Hoc Committee on Communications, a template is now linked from the Agendas & Minutes page.  This minutes template includes a coded outline for draft minutes and notes to remind the recorder of mandatory and desired content.

Because GODORT wiki URLs include "godort" we only need to differentiate between the various units and the semiannual meetings.  Since draft minutes will become final when approved, it's recommend that DRAFT not be part of the name but that the words "DRAFT MINUTES" be prominent before they are approved.

While the template was not available prior to the Midwinter Meeting, it's ready to use for any unit that hasn't already posted their minutes to the wiki.  Feedback on the template is welcome!

John Stevenson,

Co-Chair, GODORT Ad Hoc Committee on Communication

 

 

 

More...
RDA: Resource Description & Access

Discussion RDA Online Website Updated

by Troy Linker (staff) on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

The Co-Publishers of RDA are pleased to announce that the website at www.rdaonline.org now includes information about the RDA Toolkit, U.S. pricing for the RDA Toolkit, an updated FAQ, and web videos of the RDA Toolkit: A Guided Tour webinars given on February 8 and 9, 2010.  For further information and to receive announcements and updates from the Co-Publishers about the RDA Toolkit, please send your email address to rdatoolkit@ala.org. We will add you to the RDA Toolkit email list. 

LearnRT (Learning Round Table)

Event LearnRT Monthly Virtual Meeting 02/17

by Patricia Carterette on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:04 am

All Learning Round Table members (and any other interested people) are invited to attend our virtual monthly meetings. We use the meetings for updates and follow-ups to committee work, discussions, sharing and announcements. We use ALA’s OPAL web-conferencing platform for these meetings. Meetings are held at 2pm EST. The following is the current meeting schedule:

All Learning Round Table members (and any other interested people) are invited to attend our virtual monthly meetings. We use the meetings for updates and follow-ups to committee work, discussions, sharing and announcements. We use ALA’s OPAL web-conferencing platform for these meetings. Meetings are held at 2pm EST. The following is the current meeting schedule:

  • Wednesday,     February 17
  • Thursday,     March 11
  • Wednesday,     April 21
  • Thursday,     May 13
  • Wednesday,     June 16

Registration not required. Just click this link to join in: http://www.conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs423c62c43df0

More...
AASL American University Presses Book Selection

Discussion Midwinter 2010 Meeting Minutes

by Jo Carr on Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:35 pm

AASL/PLA AAUP Best Books for High School Libraries

1:30-3:30

102A Boston Convention Center

 

I)       Introductions: Janet Hilbun (can’t continue after this year), Barbara Bahm (also in last year of term), Gail Formanack (Board Liaison), Terri Maggio (PLA), Kim Miller (AAUP), Nan Hilyard (PLA)

 

II)     Announcements: None

 

III)  Review of timeline for committee' work.

A       March 19: AAUP reviews due

AASL/PLA AAUP Best Books for High School Libraries

1:30-3:30

102A Boston Convention Center

 

I)       Introductions: Janet Hilbun (can’t continue after this year), Barbara Bahm (also in last year of term), Gail Formanack (Board Liaison), Terri Maggio (PLA), Kim Miller (AAUP), Nan Hilyard (PLA)

 

II)     Announcements: None

 

III)  Review of timeline for committee' work.

A       March 19: AAUP reviews due

B       April 5: Finalize “Best of the Best” presenters. Kim will coordinate the presenters from AASL and PLA.

C       May: Submit proposal for 2011 program. Need to have a good proposal or may not be accepted for future years.

D       June 1: Bibliography published

E        June 27, 2:00-4:00: “Best of the Best” Confirm date/time. Janet can present, Barbara will not be there. Need to have at least two from each. Need individuals who can provide brief statement that will present an incentive to read the book. Kim will send the link for last year’s broadcast so we can see the process.

F        September: Bibliographies distributed.

 

IV)  Review of criteria and process for reviews: Kim will send a listing of the titles distributed as well as a listing with email addressed for members from the PLA committee so we can connect with our counterpart on the other committee. All ratings are entirely up to each committee member.  But per advice from past committee chairs, here are some helpful suggestions for choosing “Outstanding” Titles:

When you’ve accepted a title for the bibliography, ask yourself the following:

-If it was in the budget, would you add it to your collection?

-Is it unique in subject matter and writing?

-Is it accessible to your library?

-Does it make itself accessible to other libraries of a different region, in spite of it perhaps being of a regional subject (example: if you reviewed and liked a book about New York Architecture, is there something about it that would perhaps make it of interest to a library in Texas?)

 

All these questions are of equal importance, but if you can answer yes to at least two of these questions, then perhaps it should be considered for an “Outstanding” rating.  Other criteria are multiple audiences and types of libraries. Will the title appeal to the middle to high school (consider relevance of topic)? Curricular relevance not a criteria but a good factor to connect-add this for those that are not outstanding. Review can be quote from the publisher’s blurb. Comments can address issues of layout and visual appeal.

 

Kim will resend the names of the committee, and the 2009 publication to all AASL and PLA members.    

 

V)    Discussion of program for ALA conference: Do we want to have a power point presentation illustrating books? Yes, send the page numbers to Kim for preparation of the power point. Have a prepared book talk for the outstanding titles. This is the 20th presentation-need to highlight this in the program. Have drawing for books that are presented-bring books being presented at the program for prizes in drawing. Need to find a way to promote program beyond ALA site: PubLib, LMnet, other best of the best lists committees (RUSA, ALSC, YALSA), get in CogNotes as a featured program, send link for last year’s program to LJ/American Libraries. Nann Hilyard and Terry Maggio will be available to present from the PLA side.  

 

VI)  Other business: Need to email information on ALA Connect site to PLA members and add their names to the site.

 

VII)           Adjournment:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More...
ALCTS CRS Standards Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc SUSHI: Updates and Applications - Hana Levay

by Cecilia Genereux on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 08:48 am

Hana Levay's presentation from the 2010 Midwinter CRS Standards Update Forum.

Emerging Technologies Interest Group (LITA)

Discussion Link to a LITA post about Book Genome Project (FYI)

by Bohyun Kim on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 08:44 am

Here is a post by Scott Flyod about Book Genome Project for those who are interested. Maybe a potential topic to discuss at hte annual meeting?

http://connect.ala.org/node/95070

 

Pages