Warning message

The launch of the new ALA Connect, scheduled for April 25, 2018, has been delayed due to technical issues. During final testing some critical issues related to navigation, tagging, and the structure of parent-child relationships were discovered.

The vendor is working to resolve these issues. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

While we're waiting to get started, please check out the resources and training on the support site. We'll keep you updated, in particular, we will communicate when we have a firm launch date.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Pam Akins, Community Engagement Specialist, at alaconnectmigration@ala.org.

Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
ALA Connect Help

Discussion Categories

by Douglas Cook on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:41 am

I would like to use the "Categories" tab to try to organize my committee's workspace.  I created several categories but don't know what to do with them next.  I want to, for example, organize Online Docs by type, i.e. Policies, Publication Requests, etc.  Is there an explanation anywhere of this functionality?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Chair, EBSS Publications Committee

ALCTS FRBR Interest Group

Discussion ALCTS FRBR Interest Group, Meeting Announcement REVISED

by Tami Morse on Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

ALCTS FRBR Interest Group, Presentations and Discussion -- REVISED
ALA Annual 2010, Friday, June 25, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Mayflower Renaissance, Chinese BR

Please join the ALCTS FRBR Interest Group for three presentations and a lively discussion on representations of FRBR and FRAD.

ALCTS FRBR Interest Group, Presentations and Discussion -- REVISED
ALA Annual 2010, Friday, June 25, 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Mayflower Renaissance, Chinese BR

Please join the ALCTS FRBR Interest Group for three presentations and a lively discussion on representations of FRBR and FRAD.

"Creating a FRBRized data structure in XML", Jenn Riley, Indiana University - Bloomington
Jenn Riley will discuss IU's Variations/FRBR project, and their work representing FRBR in XML at three "levels": true to the FRBR/FRAD reports, adding some basic information to make it useful as actual production data, and with additions/subtractions for a specific domain  (in this case, music.)

" BRizing MARC records based on FRBR user tasks", Yin Zhang, Kent State University
Yin Zhang will report on an analysis of FRBR work-sets, undertaken with her collaborator Athena Salaba as part of an IMLS-funded project, with the goal of obtaining a better understanding of what might constitute a FRBR work-set and what expression and manifestation related MARC fields can be used for extracting and displaying expressions and manifestations with consideration of various FRBR user tasks.

"The Yee cataloging rules: FRBRized cataloging rules with an RDF data model for the semantic web", Martha M. Yee, UCLA Film and Television Archive
Martha Yee will update us on her work creating cataloging rules that she claims are more FRBRized than either FRBR or RDA (that is, better conform to the FRBR definitions of work, expression and manifestation), as well as on her work modeling both descriptive and subject cataloging in RDF, and discuss issues she has encountered in using RDF as a framework for modeling bibliographic data.

After our program, we will hold a short business meeting to select a new Vice-Char/Chair-Elect.

More...
Library Storage Discussion Group (LLAMA - Library Leadership & Management Association)

Discussion LAMA Storage Discussion Group - ALA 2010 Annual Meeting - Agenda

by Mary Roach on Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:37 am

Greetings LLAMA Storage Discussion Group Members,

Our summer meeting in Washington DC is fast approaching.  With the assistance of Jim Galbraith, our outgoing Chair, we put together the agenda for the upcoming meeting.  We have a couple of excellent speakers lined up who are ready to share some of their recent work with you.  We hope that you will choose the LLAMA Storage Discussion Group over the many other options you have at ALA Annual.   Please see details of the meeting below.

Greetings LLAMA Storage Discussion Group Members,

Our summer meeting in Washington DC is fast approaching.  With the assistance of Jim Galbraith, our outgoing Chair, we put together the agenda for the upcoming meeting.  We have a couple of excellent speakers lined up who are ready to share some of their recent work with you.  We hope that you will choose the LLAMA Storage Discussion Group over the many other options you have at ALA Annual.   Please see details of the meeting below.

LAMA Storage Discussion Group
ALA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC
 
Date:  Sunday, June 27th
Time:  10:30-12:00 noon
Place:  Hilton Washington (HIL) - Columbia 1
 

Agenda:

  1. Introductions

  2. Discussion Topics:

Cathy Martyniak – Head, Preservation Department and Auxiliary Library Facility, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida

Cathleen will update us on her work with Florida’s facility. She has been soliciting input from the group and will summarize some of the best practices she has learned from you. This is also an opportunity for us to impart more wisdom. (15-20 minutes, plus discussion)

 Sue Ward – Head, Collection Management, Purdue University Libraries. 

Sue will give us an overview of her work on deselecting items from storage using the WorldCat Collection Analysis Tool. Her initial work focused on serials and was so successful that the scope of the project is now expanding to monographs. (35 minutes, plus discussion) 

(cf. Ward, Suzanne M. and Aagard, Mary C.(2008) 'The Dark Side of Collection Management: Deselecting Serials from a Research Library's Storage Facility Using WorldCat Collection Analysis', Collection Management, 33:4, 272-287)

  3. Updates from members of the Discussion Group

  4.  Election of Chair-Elect and discussion topics for future meetings. If you cannot make it to the meeting because of a conflict but are willing to serve as Chair-Elect, please email me (mroach@ku.edu) and let me know of your interest.

  5.  Other business. 

 Hope to see many of you at Sunday’s meeting.

Mary Roach
Vice-Chair, LAMA Storage Discussion Group
More...
Managing Children's Services Discussion Group (ALSC - Association for Library Service to Children)

Discussion Managing Children's Services Discussion Group Meeting in Washington D.C.

by Alison Poage on Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

The Managing Children's Services Discussion Group will be meeting at the 2010 Annual Conference in Washington D.C.:

Sunday, June 27, 2010 
1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. 
Hilton-Washington Rooms Columbia 3-4

All are welcome to attend this informal discussion of management issues pertaining to youth services librarians. Feel free to post items to add to our agenda.

Managing Children’s Services Discussion Group Co-Convenors:
Cheryl Kallberg, Alison O'Reilly, and Carol Phillips

Pages