Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 1998 Annual Conference Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:12 am

Minutes of the ALCTS Serials Section Committee to Study Serials Cataloging at the 1998 Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.

Meeting of June 29, 1998, 2:00-4:00 PM

Minutes of the ALCTS Serials Section Committee to Study Serials Cataloging at the 1998 Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C.

Meeting of June 29, 1998, 2:00-4:00 PM

Members present: Sally Tseng (acting chair), Carolynne Myall, Mechael Gago, Adriana Pilecky-Dekajlo
Interns present: Evelyn Brass, Mary Grenci
Members absent: Joe Altimus

Guests: Regina Reynolds (NSDP), Jean Hirons (CONSER), and about 75 others.

Sally Tseng welcomed all committee members and guests to the meeting. She introduced herself as acting chair for this meeting, because Joe Altimus could not be present due to a conflict with the MARBI meeting. All committee members introduced themselves. Sally Tseng also introduced the 1998/1999 new committee members and interns: Ruth Christ (member); Everett Allgood (intern); Jina Wakimoto (intern). Sally also announced changes to the agenda. The Group 2B report will be given by Les Hawkins, and Mechael Gago will lead the Group 3 discussion.

CC:DA report: The Committee heard a report from the CC:DA liaison, Carolynne Myall. Further information on the topics discussed at the CC:DA meeting can be found on the CC:DA web page. CC:DA discussion topics included:

  1. A report about Project REUSE, which has as its goal to enhance international bibliographic compatibility and the sharing of bibliographic information between Germany and the Anglo-American cataloging communities. Two German librarians summarized German resolutions that will make German practice in cataloging closer in some ways to AACR2. There is a link on the CC:DA site to the project REUSE site.
  2. Jean Hirons reported to the CC:DA about ongoing work on seriality, pursuant to the Joint Steering Committee 's directives after the Toronto conference. Jean explained the shift to a modified Model C proposal that she has written with Regina Reynolds and this proposal will be summarized later at this meeting. Discussion occurred about the process of the redefinition of seriality. CC:DA members pointed out the reconceptualization of the bibliographic universe will influence everyone in the cataloging community, not just serials catalogers. Outcome of the discussion on this topic : Joan Schuitema, the Chair of the PCC Standards Committee, will be active as a liaison regarding this work, and Jean Hirons felt that it would be important to co-author a MARBI proposal paper concerning possible changes of definition to the USMARC leader elements bib level and serial type. A suggestion was made that the Serials Task forces consider non-textual material. Jean Hirons asked CC:DA to help in providing information on how this modified Model C approach would play out in library OPACs.
  3. Report from Brian Schottlaender, the ALA representative to JSC. JSC is brainstorming to identify principles in the code. There were fewer rule revisions to report.
  4. A report from the chair of the Rule 0.24 task force, who stated that her task force was moving in the same direction as the CONSER task forces were moving, but using different vocabulary. Their report is due in the year 2000.
  5. Report from the Conference Proceedings Task Force II. The Task Force brought two options to CC:DA both using the phrase "specific appellation" as opposed to proper name. CC:DA decided to adopt the one which simplifies rule 21.1B1.
  6. Barbara Tillett, the LC representative noted, that core level cataloging at LC is in the bargaining process and is expected to be implemented across the board this summer. She announced that LC has selected the Endeavor Voyager system as their ILS, and is planning to have all the modules up and running by Oct. 1999. LC plans to advertise for a Serials Checkin Consultant to aid in their shift from a large Cardex checkin operation to an entirely online checkin system.
  7. ALA Editions reported that the electronic edition of AACR2 is on the way. LC will integrate it into the Catalogers desktop later this year.
  8. CC:DA noted that there are no plans to issue the amendments to AACR2 for 1997 in paper form.
  9. Report from the task force on the harmonization of ISBD (ER) and AACR2, which has just begun its work.
  10. Task Force on Metadata and Cataloging rules presented their final report. They framed this in the context of OPACS. Conclusion was that metadata cannot be loaded into OPACs without scrutiny by a cataloger. CC:DA discharged this task force and appointed 2 more.
  11. Joint discussion between the CC:DA and MARBI about the GMD. LC is planning to review the GMD.

MARBI report:

Mary Grenci read Joe Altimus' report from the MARBI meetings for Saturday, June 27 and Sunday, June 28, 1998. MARBI proposal 98-8, to make it possible to more accurately code exceptions to regularity patterns in the 853-855 fields of the Holdings Format, was approved with option 2, making subfield y repeatable in those fields.

Proposal 98-11, to make changes in Bibliographic and holdings formats to accommodate the new Z39.71 holdings standard, was approved. It defines two new 007 fields (for kits and music (but not sound recording), as well as code u in the specific material designation position (byte 01) of each 007. Proposal 98-13, to add the 856 field (Universal Resource Location) to the Authority Format, was approved.

At its Monday meeting, MARBI considered Proposal 98-16, to replace the current method of showing nonfiling initial characters using an indicator with a more extensible one. This issue is important to serial catalogers who object to having to drop initial articles in title fields such as the 246 and 760-787 fields. Agreement was reached that two control characters should be used instead of an indicator. There will be separate control characters for start and end of non-filing. Discussion revealed that further research is needed to determine which non-alphanumeric characters should be considered filing or non-filing. Action on 98-16 was deferred until this matter can be resolved.

LC, CONSER, NSDP report: Regina Reynolds reported to the Committee and guests about LC, CONSER, and NSDP activities:

LC activities:

  1. Big project for converting manual files
  2. LC home page has new Cataloging FAQ list
  3. Core record agreement has been reached
  4. LC' Committee's New Delhi Office has been trained to work directly online in OCLC
  5. Arrearage reduction projects underway
  6. LC Serial Record Division in collaboration with Rare Books is preparing finding aids to some 23,000 Dime novels that will be mounted on the Rare Book Web site

    CONSER activities:

    1. CONSER celebrated its 25th anniversary with a reception that was held on Sunday night.
    2. Special issue of CONSERline in July devoted to the 25th anniversary celebration.
    3. CONSER announced a training initiative that is a collaborative effort among PCC, ALA and NASIG. Plans are being made for development of a pilot training program to focus on basic serials cataloging. The concept: to develop a set of training modules and to train a corps of trainers to do workshops in conjunction with local or regional groups.
    4. Jean Hirons will report about the seriality issues.

    NSDP activities:

    1. NSDP held a seminar, ISSN in the Electronic Age, on Saturday at the ALA Conference.
    2. The ISSN database will soon be available on the web. The pricing structure for using this web-based product will be announced.
    3. A table of correspondences will also be available in the next few months. This will help in working around situations where there are multiple ISSNs for the same title. It will be downloadable from the ISSN network web site, probably in Excel or a similar format.
    4. ISSN directors are participating in online discussions of the questions raised by the AACR seriality proposals and will discuss these topics at their meeting in Brussels in late September.
    5. Representatives from NSDP and ISSN International Centre have been participating in DOI (Digital Object Identifier) workshops and meetings about the potential use of the ISSN as the journal title identifier portion of the DOI.

    Discussion Topic:

    Jean Hirons reported on the new proposal for the modified Model C approach and the process and time frame of implementation. She will attend a JSC meeting to talk about the new Model C and will discuss with JSC what they want the task forces to do. She reported on the work of the task forces. There is a major change, in that the task forces are now not working on redefining serials but defining an umbrella category called on-going entities. By defining this umbrella category of ongoing entities, we can incorporate two different categories: 1. those that are successively issued and 2. integrating entities, such as loose-leaf, databases and websites. Jean pointed out that there is still a problem with electronic journals, especially deciding which of the two categories they fall into. This new proposal is summarized in a paper mounted on the CONSER webpage. With regard to US MARC, the proposal recommends leaving the bib. codes "m" and "s," where "s" would be redefined for "ongoing entities."

    Sara Shatford Layne then presented to the committee and the audience a proposal for a brand new entry convention called Incorporating Entry. She presented the pros and cons of successive and latest entry cataloging, and then talked about the Incorporating Entry or as she called it Successive Latest Entry. She compared this proposal to the analytic entry, where there exist individual records for parts and a record for the whole. She also talked about problems that still have to be dealt with, for example, the problem of linking: whether to link vertically, horizontally and how to link to different formats. In the national databases there would be records for all the parts of the publication and for the whole. For the local databases, one can have a choice of importing all the records for the parts, or just the most recent record. There was much discussion and many questions about this new approach. At the end of the discussion the chair encouraged the committee members and the audience to make further comments.

    Kristin Lindlan reported on the work of Group 2A. They are working on determining changes to Chapter 12 based on the new ongoing entities model. Some of the topics they are discussing:

    1. description based on all available issues, not just the first or earliest available issue,
    2. what cataloging information should be identified and recorded in a catalog record that will uniquely identify an ongoing entity,
    3. looking at changes to MARC,
    4. changing source of information to source of title and the subsequent questions that would relate to this: choice of title from multiple languages, correcting typos in titles, where to record parallel titles, reevaluating the use of subtitle, and moving the statement of responsibility from subfields b and c of the 245 to a 550 note.

    Les Hawkins reported on the work of Group 2B. His group focused on recommending the best treatment for electronic serials. They decided that they needed to gather evidence and study electronic publications. They will take a sample of titles from the CONSER database and from the ARL directory of electronic journals. They hope to include in this sample a variety of publications, and to look at these publications over a period of time. They are designing the instrument for the study and they hope to report initial results at the Midwinter meeting. In other words, they have decided to step away from the rules and to look at the resources first.

    Sara Shatford Layne reported on the work of Group 3. This group had not met yet, and had only corresponded via e-mail. They have been dealing and will continue to deal with problems of linking, title changes and uniform titles. One of the suggestions for the uniform title, was instead of creating a uniform title to use the key title. Since both appear on the record, do we really need both if they are serving the same function of providing unique identification. The group will be looking at these things in the next six months and anticipate having a report for the Midwinter meeting.

    After these reports the chair opened the floor to questions from the audience and the committee members. Most of the discussion centered around whether the time has come for AACR3, and more specific questions as to the time frame for all of these changes.

    At the end of the discussion the chair thanked all the group leaders for their reports and their hard work. She encouraged the members to continue the discussion of these topics at ALA midwinter meeting and on e-mail.

    Committee business:

    1. Members of the ALCTS SS Committee to Study Serials Cataloging expressed their appreciation to Mechael D. Gago for her valuable contributions to the Committee to Study Serials Cataloging. We recognized Mechael as one of the most dedicated serials librarians in the profession. We thanked and wished Mechael the best for continued success in her career.
    2. Members of the ALCTS SS Committee to Study Serials Cataloging expressed their appreciation to Joe Altimus for his tireless energy in chairing the Committee and in leading us to complete several major tasks. We recognized Joe as one of the most dedicated librarians in the profession. We thanked him for his leadership in ALCTS especially his accomplishments and contributions to the Serials Section, Committee to Study Serials Cataloging. We wished Joe the best for continued success in his career.
    3. Members of the ALCTS SS Committee to Study Serials Cataloging expressed their appreciation to both Evelyn Brass and Whitney Alexander for their 2 years service as interns in the Committee. We admired their dedication to the Committee and their valuable contributions. We thanked and wished Evelyn and Whitney the best for continued success in their careers. We hope to see Mechael, Evelyn and Whitney in our future meetings and look forward to gaining from their shared expertise.

    Meeting adjourned.

    Respectfully submitted by,

    Adriana Pilecky-Dekajlo
    CSSC Member and Recorder
    Head, Copy-Cataloging Section
    Center for Research Libraries
    6050 S. Kenwood
    Chicago, IL 60637
    Voice:773/955-4545 ext. 327
    Fax: 773/955-4339
    dekajlo@crlmail.uchicago.edu

More...
Cataloging Rules

Why we need cataloging

by Jeffrey Beall (non-member) on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 05:40 am
Union Library Workers

Online Doc "AFSCME Library Workers Make America Happen"

by Kathleen McCook on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 08:26 pm

See the photo of the banner that is now hanging on the front window of AFSCME's DC office . It says "AFSCME Library Workers Make America Happen" and notes that National Library Workers Day is April 14th.

ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 1995 Midwinter Meeting Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 04:42 pm

Minutes of the ALCTS -- Serials Section Committee To Study Serials Cataloging

American Library Association 1995 Midwinter Meeting
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Monday, February 6, 1995

Minutes of the ALCTS -- Serials Section Committee To Study Serials Cataloging

American Library Association 1995 Midwinter Meeting
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Monday, February 6, 1995

Members present: Norma Fair (Chair), Ann Ercelawn, Marguerite Horn, Margaret Mering, Ann Vidor
Interns present: Joe Altimus, Carolynne Myall
Liaisons present: Jean Altschuler (CC:DA), Regina Reynolds (LC)

Agenda Items

Minutes distribution

The recent problems of getting the Committee's minutes mounted on the ALCTS fileserver were discussed. N. Fair will send a letter to Karen Muller expressing the Committee's concern with the recurring lack of timeliness in getting the minutes mounted on the ALCTS fileserver. N. Fair will also revise the Guidelines for distribution of the minutes to specify how the minutes should be submitted electronically to the ALCTS Office. The intern or committee member who submits the minutes will also be directed to wait four weeks for the minutes to be mounted on the fileserver before contacting the Chair to follow up on the problem.

Report on Committee recommendation to revise AACR2 12.3D1

N. Fair reported that Judy Kuhagen at the Library of Congress responded that LC's assumption is that serial catalogers have already been interpreting the rule in the broader sense of "designation" instead of the narrower sense of "numbering," but they would not oppose forwarding the recommendation for revision. N. Fair subsequently forwarded the recommendation to CC:DA and found out from Frank Sadowski that the recommendation was on the CC:DA agenda. J. Altschuler reported that CC:DA had considered the recommendation and decided that the proposed change would be cosmetic, as the intention of the rule is obvious. As a result CC:DA is not forwarding the recommendation.

LC/NSDP Report (Regina Reynolds)

LC and CONSER will implement the variable field changes of format integration on March 1, 1995.

LC revised the RI for rule 25.5B last summer, making the directions less prescriptive for the choice of qualifier.

LC's treatment of Shepard Citations publications as monographs in editions will change to serials as each title is recataloged in the next few years. Cataloging will be based on the first bound volume.

LC seeks input from serialists in an effort to develop cataloging guidelines for electronic serials. The key questions are multiple electronic versions and the use of the MARC 856 field. Recent recommendations of the CONSER Electronic Resources Task Force are that the CONSER project should include electronic serials and that CONSER and LC should propose multiple electronic versions solutions, RIs, rules and MARC proposals, as needs are determined. CONSER should also investigate technological developments, such as URNs (Universal Resource Names) and the use of TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) headers in catalog records.

Some electronic serials will be mounted on the LC servers in a prototype project. The project will include some English language titles that are freely distributed electronically. The project will be concerned with issues such as the archiving of the titles and the decision of whether to catalog titles that are only temporarily stored.

NSDP has cataloged about 170 remote access serials as part of the ISSN process. alirs of NSDP records should remember that NSDP is not always aware of multiple electronic versions when a particular version is cataloged.

ISSN applications are available online through LC Marvel, as well as information about ISSNs. An interactive application form for ISSNs is in development.

A fixed field medium code has been approved by the ISSN directorate, to identify various media (text, remote access, CD-ROM, braille, etc.). The code will not appear in ISSN records until the next phase of format integration is implemented.

Some countries have decided to charge a fee for the assignment of ISSNs. NSDP will not charge such a fee.

The LC Serial Record Division is working on an internal reorganization that will probably result in NSDP becoming a U.S. non-government imprints cataloging section.

CONSER Report (Jean Hirons)

The CONSER Editing Guide (CEG) and CONSER Cataloging Manual (CCM) have both been revised, and the revisions will be available in early February. A CEG update later this year will include the new core, minimal and full record definitions.

LC is setting up a task force on the cataloging of conference publications. The task force will include both monographs and serials people.

The CONSER Policy Committee will look at restructuring membership guidelines sometime this year.

A PCC/CPSO task force on documentation will be examining all LCRIs for chapter 12, so please submit suggestions to Jean Hirons (jhir@loc.gov).

Ann Ercelawn asked when the CEG or CCM will be included in the Catalogers Desktop product. Jean responded that probably late this year they would appear.

CC:DA Report (Jean Altschuler)

CC:DA discussed the Committee to Study Serials Cataloging's proposal to revise rule 12.3D1 (No designation on the first issue of a serial). The proposal to change the word "numbering" to "designation" in the second sentence, was determined to be largely cosmetic and it was decided not to pass it on to the Joint Steering Committee for consideration.

A CC:DA task force is being formed to review guidelines for publishers of conference proceedings and to consider possible rule changes resulting from the 1994 Preconference on the Bibliographic Control of Conference Proceedings.

The Communication and Outreach Task Force is drafting a pamphlet introducing CC:DA to the library and non-library communities. The task force is also developing guidelines for submitting rule change proposals to CC:DA in paper and electronic formats. All documents are to be finalized at the 1995 annual conference. They will be distributed in paper and electronic formats.

Brian Schottlaender will be replacing Janet Swan Hill as the ALA representative to the Joint Steering Committee.

MARBI Reports

A. Ercelawn reported on the Saturday MARBI meeting.

Proposal 95-1 addressed changes to field 856 (Electronic Location and Access) in the USMARC bibliographic format. Subfield $u will not include the term URL (Uniform Resource Locator), which preceded the actual URL. The URN will go in a numeric field at the record level, not in the 856.

Discussion Paper 80, to define a component item entry field in the USMARC bibliographic format, was also discussed. The Paper is available on LC Marvel.

There was an announcement that an electronic version of the concise MARC formats is available on MARVEL.

J. Altimus reported on the Sunday MARBI meeting.

Proposal 95-2, to define subfield $v for form subdivision in the USMARC formats, was discussed. Concerns about implementation were expressed, and some minor changes to the proposal were introduced in order to clarify the scope of the subfield and resolve conflicts with other MARC fields that contain form subdivision information. The committee voted to pass the proposal on with minor changes.

Report on Serials Cataloging Institutes (Ann Vidor)

Publicity for the Institutes has gone out, but ALCTS is experimenting by only distributing an electronic brochure. A. Vidor advised those present to spread the word that a printed brochure and registration form will not be distributed. A. Vidor will send an electronic brochure/registration form to anyone who requests one from her. [A. Vidor voiced concern about the lack of a printed brochure at the Serials Section Executive Board meeting. The Board felt there should be more publicity and Julia Blixrud conveyed this at the ALCTS Board meeting. ALCTS agreed to do more publicity and a printed brochure has recently been sent to ALCTS members and other publicity has been done.]

Usefulness of reports from other meetings (CC:DA, MARBI, NASIG, etc.)

There was agreement that there is great value to having reports from the CC:DA and LC/NSDP/CONSER liaisons. Those reports provide a prompt for the Committee and the audience to ask questions and receive more elaborate comments from the liaisons as appropriate. Some questioned the value of reports from NASIG meetings. The value of MARBI reports varies in relation to the topic. The Committee agreed that MARBI and CC:DA will continue to appear on the agenda, and that those reports would continue to vary in length depending on each meeting's relevance to serials cataloging. The LC/NSDP liaison and CONSER reporter may provide printed copies of their reports in the future. Reports from NASIG meetings were considered to be of less value to the Committee and will not routinely appear on the agenda.

ALA Goal 2000

N. Fair introduced this topic to inform those present about it and to start the members thinking about what contributions the Committee could make toward the goal.

Discussion topic: Cataloging of electronic serials and use of tag 856

M. Mering moderated the discussion. She began by posing three questions: What are electronic serials? What types are being cataloged? and What are the issues in cataloging electronic serials?

Discussion on the nature of electronic serials revealed agreement that listservs are not serials, but that electronic publications such as ACQNET are serials because they result from an editorial process on various sources. Digests of listservs were identified as possible serials because all of the messages of a day are delivered in one package. One person wondered if serial catalogers are the best equipped for handling electronic publications that fall into such gray areas. Interactive serials were cited as another type of electronic publication that falls into the gray area.

Discussion about the cataloging of electronic serials revealed that:
--A few catalogers present had cataloged electronic serials
--Very few institutions are archiving electronic serials
--Multiple versions of electronic serials are causing problems in cataloging (ca talogers generally believe that users want fewer records)
--No cataloger present had used the MARC 856 yet

A question about the use of the 538 and 856 fields was answered by referring to OCLC's Technical bulletin 206. J. Hirons also reminded those present that CONSER and LC serial cataloging would reflect format integration starting on March 1, 1995, so notes about system information would then appear in the 538 field instead of the 500. R. Reynolds ended by wondering if the definition of a serial is adequate given the new publishing practices. She believes that it is a good question for the Committee to consider.

The discussion topic of title changes was postponed due to lack of time.

Topics for 1995 annual meeting

Several topics were identified for possible inclusion in the summer agenda:

--Cataloging of electronic serials
--Revision of Chapter 12 Rule Interpretations
--Format integration
--AUTOCAT and SERIALST will be reviewed to find topics of current interest

****

Summary of the ALCTS Serials Section Committee to Study Serials Cataloging, Monday, February 6, 1995

The Committee revised its guidelines for the distribution of minutes to provide a timelier method of distribution. The Chair will write to Karen Muller to express the Committees concern over the frequent delays in loading minutes to the ALCTS fileserver. The Committee took no further action on the proposal to change the wording of Rules 12.3D1 after learning that CC:DA has decided that the proposed change would be cosmetic only, and will not forward it for further action. The Committee heard reports from liaisons from the Library of Congress and CC:DA, as well as brief reports of events at the MARBI meetings of February 4 and 5. Ann Vidor reported on the progress toward the Serials Cataloging Institutes to be held in Atlanta and San Francisco later this year. The Committee discussed the value of reports from CC:DA, MARBI and determined that their value varies from year to year, but they should always be given time on the agenda. Reports from NASIG meetings will not routinely appear on the agenda. An exchange of ideas among the Committee and the audience about the cataloging of electronic serials showed that there is still relatively little experience in cataloging them. A number of questions were posed about the nature of electronic serials and the adequacy of existing cataloging practices and rules to cope with them. The Committee identified several topics for the Annual meeting, including cataloging of electronic serials, title changes, revision of Chapter 12 Rule Interpretations, and format integration.

More...
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 1996 Midwinter Meeting Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 04:41 pm

Minutes of the ALCTS/Serials Section Committee To Study Serials Cataloging

American Library Association
1996 Midwinter Meeting San Antonio, Texas
Monday, January 22, 1996

Minutes of the ALCTS/Serials Section Committee To Study Serials Cataloging

American Library Association
1996 Midwinter Meeting San Antonio, Texas
Monday, January 22, 1996

Members present: Norma Fair (Chair), Joe Altimus, Ann Ercelawn, Marguerite Horn, Margaret Mering.

Interns present: Lola Halpin, Carolynne Myall.

Liaisons present: Marguerite Horn (CC: DA), Maureen Landry (LC).

Number of guests attending: 38

Agenda Items

Introductions and Announcements: N. Fair.
Members and interns of the Committee introduced themselves. N. Fair announced that A. Ercelawn was resigning from the Committee following this meeting. [Following the meeting, however, A. Ercelawn agreed to complete her term, but will be unable to attend the New York conference.]

CC:DA report: Marguerite Horn.
M. Horn reported on three items from the CC:DA session which were of special interest to serials catalogers. The first concerned CC:DA's recent publication, Guidelines for Bibliographic Description of Reproductions. Most of the comments CC:DA received about the Guidelines were questions about USMARC tagging of information, not about the Guidelines themselves. MARBI is working on a subfield 8 for use in 776, 533, 830, and other fields, to identify other versions, in addition to the one described. While subfield 8 is currently restricted to microform reproductions, there was discussion about applying it to other versions.

Second, CC:DA's Task Force on Conference Proceedings continues work to identify issues and problems which might be addressed by AACR2 rule revisions. (Jean Altschuler, formerly of CSSC, is a member of this task force.) Two issues currently under discussion are (a) whether the word "prominently" in Rule 21.1B2d makes the rule too restrictive, and (b) what constitutes a "named conference." CC:DA's Task Force is waiting for the CONSER task force on the same topic to issue its final report at the ALA Annual Meeting in New York. Specifically, CC:DA's Task Force is interested in CONSER's response to questions regarding serial-vs.-monographic treatment of proceedings.

Third, CC:DA is reviewing ISBD (CF) and is preparing a summary of differences between AACR2 and ISBD (CF) for February distribution. CC:DA must respond to IFLA by April 1. ISBD (CF) explicitly notes that it is for use in describing non-serial computer files only. In reply to N. Fair's question of how CSSC might become involved in this discussion, Jean Hirons of the Library of Congress responded that she was drafting a report on 12.0A and would send it to the Committee for comments.

MARBI report: Joe Altimus, Ann Ercelawn.
A. Ercelawn reported on the MARBI session of January 20. MARBI approved provisions in Proposal 95-6 for a linking subfield 8 and a linking type code value of r, for use on a record for a microform reproduction, to identify fields added when the record for the original is cloned. This change may enable greater flexibility in local system storage and display of multiple version information; because of problems associated with identifying version-specific holdings, however, only a single, version-specific bibliographic record may be communicated at one time. Concerning Proposal 96-4, MARBI decided not to change the definition of the 770 field Supplements/Special Issues) to include constituent units; instead, MARBI will define a new 774 field to express constituent relationships. Due to lack of time to discuss all pertinent issues, MARBI tabled Discussion Paper 92 until its summer meeting. This paper has generated interest among serial catalogers because of its impact on cataloging computer file serials.

J. Altimus reported on the MARBI session of January 21, which included discussion of six proposals, three of interest to serials catalogers. First, MARBI disapproved Proposal 96-1, to add a first indicator value of 8 and to redefine subfield q to the 856 field. Second, MARBI approved Proposal 96-2, to create a 720 field for generic authors. (MARBI made a minor revision in 96-2, and chose option 2, defining three indicator values.) MARBI also approved Proposal 96-3, which changed the definition of the Personal Name indicator to remove the distinction for multiple surname.

Change to Minutes Distribution Guidelines of CSSC.
N. Fair noted that she needed to insert this business item into the agenda. Karen Muller, ALCTS Executive Director, has urged the Committee not to announce that minutes are available in paper from ALCTS. The Committee agreed to change the document Guidelines for ALA/ALCTS/SS Committee to Study Serials Cataloging Minutes of Meetings, to state that complete minutes are available electronically [only].

LC/NSDP report: Maureen Landry.

  1. Documentation: CONSER Editing Guide Update 3 (Spring 1996) will include Phase II Format Integration changes, and Update 4 (Summer 1996) will include membership and governance changes. CONSER Cataloging Manual Update 4 (Fall 1995) will include changes in LC Rule Interpretations for AACR2 Chapter 12 and a major revision to CCM Chapter 30, Direct access computer file serials. The first 1996 release of Cataloger's Desktop will be available from CDS in spring, and will include through CCM Update 4. The second 1996 release will include through CEG Update 3 and CCM Update 4. The February issue of CONSERline will outline the impact of format integration and review changes in LCRIs. Please direct questions concerning CONSER to Bill Anderson (wand@loc.gov) or Jean Hirons (jhir@loc.gov).
  2. The National Library of Canada has begun permitting CONSER participants to edit its records, which has speeded update of information.
  3. CONSER has approved a new membership status that will allow libraries to maintain and update both CONSER and non-CONSER records, according to guidelines similar to those used for the Maintenance level program. CONSER will not implement this change until OCLC has determined the credit structure; and the original name of this membership level, "CONSER Enhance," is in question. CONSER documentation issued later in 1996 will outline the program.
  4. Core record: Following implementation of format integration, field 039 will indicate core level. This, however, is a temporary measure until OCLC can implement Encoding Level 4; and field 039 will be output on CONSER tapes as Encoding Level 4. Until now, 040 subfield e has indicated core level on CONSER records. Definition of core-level data elements for special formats and non-print serials are in CEG, Part B, and will soon be available online.
  5. Format integration: LC plans to implement Phase II in early March. The major impact for print serials will be the mnemonic display of 008 fixed field data. The CEG will include a chart of OCLC's display; RLIN's mnemonic display will appear in an appendix issued later. For non-print serials, 008 will reflect the physical medium (e.g. computer file, sound recording), while 006 will reflect seriality and may be repeated for multi-dimensional works. 007 is a core field only for microforms and computer files, but may be used for most non-print serials; and 006 and 007 are optional for accompanying material. LC's decisions about optional fields are forthcoming.
  6. RI 12 revisions: Revisions of Chapter 12 Rule Interpretations have placed emphasis on cataloger's judgment; and some RIs have been split, added, or deleted, to tie the RIs more closely to the rules. Major changes include permission to piece the designation together from any place in the publication, and loosening of the restriction requiring each component of the designation to identify the issue uniquely (i.e. "vol. 1, no. 2 (1996)" will now be permissible for a quarterly publication). Retrospective cataloging will permit greater flexibility in choosing chief source; this may reduce the number of title changes.
  7. NSDP: NSDP will make an ISSN homepage available on the LC website this spring. The homepage will explain how to apply for and use the ISSN, and will include applications forms and an interactive form for use with electronic serials. It will be possible to create a preliminary PREPUB record based on information in the form, which will allow NSDP catalogers to edit the record more quickly. The ISSN homepage will include links to other pertinent Web sites (e.g. ISSN International Centre).

As part of an international effort to provide records for ISSNs assigned by Bowker at the beginning of the ISSN system, NSDP is also working on a project to confirm ISSN, including full authentication, for 800 serials in the 1972 edition of Ulrich's.

A. Ercelawn asked whether NSDP had a mechanism in place for follow-up of electronic serials, and whether NSDP data for these serials was pre-publication in nature. Landry believed that some information might be, but clarification from NSDP would be appropriate. John Levy of the Library of Congress stated that NSDP does a periodic run of records in its prepublication file, to try to determine whether the titles were ever published. This procedure is, however, not performed routinely.

Planning for the 1996 ALA Annual Conference.
Members of the Committee and the audience considered possible topics for discussion or presentation at the Committee's Monday meeting during the 1996 Annual Conference. M. Mering suggested, first, format integration changes scheduled for March implementation, or, second, ways libraries are providing access to titles in fulltext databases. J. Altimus observed that format integration was the most timely topic. M. Horn proposed a one-hour presentation on format integration.

Members of the audience suggested a number of pertinent discussion questions related to format integration: How have libraries experienced the impact of format integration? Is CONSER documentation useful? Has FI changed check-in practice, and increased the number of titles libraries typically check in? Has FI changed practice much yet--that is, are possibilities provided by FI actually being used by libraries? Of particular interest were the implementation and impact of FI on integrated local library systems.

M. Mering suggested that cataloging computer-file serials would fit well as a back-up topic, along with format integration; and, with the audience's agreement, the Committee approved format integration and cataloging computer-file serials as topics for the Annual Conference meeting. In order to generate a focused discussion, N. Fair will send a list of questions to appropriate listservs. Joe Altimus agreed to coordinate the discussion at the New York meeting.

Planning for the 1997 ALA Annual Conference.
Next, the Committee discussed the possibility of sponsoring a program for the 1997 Annual Conference. N. Fair reported that paperwork was due a year in advance at the latest, and promised to check with Serials Section Vice-Chair Pamela Bluh concerning the process. She noted that ALA encourages topics of broad interest and co-sponsorship of programs by more than one group, and observed that the use of serials cataloging information by local library systems, with linking to fulltext databases as a sub-topic, might be of interest to the RASD Catalog Use Committee.

M. Horn supported the possibility of a program about linking abstracts and fulltext to serials cataloging records, with both vendors and serials catalogers presenting, and also proposed cataloging rare serials as a topic. L. Halpin reported that she had just attended a CMDS session on cataloging Internet resources, in which collection managers assumed they should not only select but also provide subject access to electronic resources. This discussion suggested to her that a joint program with collection management librarians on providing access to electronic resources might be in order.

Audience members observed that many were tired of programs on local library systems and would prefer a broader and perhaps more theoretical topic, e.g. restructuring serials cataloging for the 21st century. Another audience member proposed restructure of the MARC record to accommodate multiple versions; and another suggested that the major restructuring of serials work within libraries, with more blending and coordination of tasks, would also be of interest.

From this discussion, the Committee identified two promising program topics: (a) restructuring of serials cataloging and (b)collection management and cataloging of electronic serials. N.Fair will use CSSC's listserv to plan specifics for submission before June, and for report and discussion at this summer's Annual Meeting.

Discussion topic: What elements of AACR2r no longer work for serials cataloging?

Summary of discussion.
J. Altimus and M. Mering, discussion facilitators, explained the origin of the topic. First, the Committee is interested in what serials catalogers think are problems with current rules and treatments. Second, at one of the Committee's sessions during the last annual meeting, Crystal Graham presented a paper identifying what she perceived as weaknesses in AACR2 for treatment of serial publications and publications with some elements of seriality (e.g. updatable looseleaf and CD-ROM publications); and the Committee wished to continue that discussion.

Many audience and Committee members identified difficulties related to discrepancies between cataloging requirements or options and the use of serial records for a variety of library functions (e.g. acquisitions, check-in, and connection with indexing and abstracting services). Audience members suggested that the 260 field be repeatable, or, alternatively, that current publication information reside in the 260, while earlier publication information appear later in the record.

An audience member stated that the AACR2 concept of levels of description never worked with serials. If both serials and monographs started with a bare-essentials description, and then identified reasons for augmenting the description, monographs and serials catalogers would be on more comparable footing. This approach would benefit monographic cataloging especially.

The discussion frequently returned to AACR2's emphasis on description of serials, vs. identification of serials, as a source of difficulties. The need for identification of a bibliographic entity (which might appear, for example, in a number of physical formats) was a recurring theme.

And on a related theme, participants indicated that successive entry cataloging continued to present problems. One audience member handled these difficulties by putting holdings all on one record, rather than on successive records, in the local library system. M. Mering observed that changes in LCRI to increase reliance on cataloger's judgment might help with the problem of having so many records for relatively minor title changes. She reported that someone at NASIG suggested that a cataloger, when in doubt concerning a title change, should not enter a new record, in contrast to instructions in AACR2. M. Mering also reported that Ohio State had initiated latest entry cataloging. M. Horn asked whether successive entry was an appropriate organizing principle in an automated environment. A typology of relationships and focus on the object described might be more useful approaches. Why not, suggested an audience member, establish a serials authority record, showing all linkages?

But while rules committed to identification rather than description would be helpful, latest entry or earliest entry cataloging per se probably would not be a cure-all. For example, said J. Altimus, neither latest nor earliest entry cataloging dealt well with splits and mergers. An audience member noted that many libraries continued to shelve periodicals by title, and entry under some element besides title was problematic for them.

In a shared environment, and in connecting with indexing and abstracting services, the "hook" is essential. Again, this is a question of identification, rather than description. While the ISSN is best, it is not always a reliable hook; and catalogers need a way to defeat what is done wrong elsewhere. M. Horn suggested that ISSN be repeatable, beyond subfield y.

N. Fair thanked participants for a lively and thought-provoking discussion, and adjourned the meeting.

NOTE: Members of the audience did not state their names prior to speaking at this session, so the minutes do not individually identify their contributions.

More...
Women Administrators Discussion Group (LLAMA - Library Leadership & Management Association)

Discussion Welcome to the Women Adminstrators Discussion Group

by Elizabeth Brice on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:57 pm

The LLAMA Women Adminstrators Discussion Group welcomes participants to discuss issues of particular concern to women in library management positions. We meet regularly at Annual and Midwinter Conferences on Sunday mornings from 10:30 to noon. Current officers are: Elizabeth Brice, Miami University, chair (2009); and Nancy Hewison, Purdue University, chair-elect (2010).

The LLAMA Women Adminstrators Discussion Group welcomes participants to discuss issues of particular concern to women in library management positions. We meet regularly at Annual and Midwinter Conferences on Sunday mornings from 10:30 to noon. Current officers are: Elizabeth Brice, Miami University, chair (2009); and Nancy Hewison, Purdue University, chair-elect (2010).

 We rely on the input of our participants to shape the agenda for the group. Please feel free to suggest topics for future meetings, raise issues that are of concern to you, share resources you've found helpful, etc. 

We will be meeting in Chicago on Sunday, July 12, and we invite you to join us. The discussion topic and the location will be announced in the near future.

More...
Virtual Communities and Libraries

Discussion Newest Videos at AL Focus Video Village as of April 6, 2009

by Valerie Hawkins (staff) on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 05:08 pm

Copy of notecard distributed to Second Life Groups: ALA SL-Events, ALA-VW, and Librarians of Second Life.

AL Focus is the video home of American Libraries (AL) magazine -- the monthly magazine for ALA members. AL Focus Video Village is where you can watch AL Focus videos on ALA Island in the Second Life virtual world..

Newest videos available:

Copy of notecard distributed to Second Life Groups: ALA SL-Events, ALA-VW, and Librarians of Second Life.

AL Focus is the video home of American Libraries (AL) magazine -- the monthly magazine for ALA members. AL Focus Video Village is where you can watch AL Focus videos on ALA Island in the Second Life virtual world..

Newest videos available:

Kate DiCamillo interview: Kate DiCamillo, author of The Tale of Despereaux and Because of Winn-Dixie, sat down with ALA "Booklist" magazine's Ilene Cooper to talk about seeing her creations become major motion pictures, the surreal moments that came along with the Despereaux phenomenon, and her latest projects. Also, there's tons of laughing.

2009 ACRL National Conference: In this overview of the 2009 Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL, a division of ALA) National Conference, keynoter Sherman Alexie discusses a terminology conundrum, Mary K. Van Ullen explains the effect of cultural differences on teaching about plagiarism, Diane Dallis describes Indiana University's planned research commons, and keynoter Ira Glass demonstrates how This American Life uses music to make stories come to life.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses Series --
Four questions x two Presidential Candidates = 8 videos

For details, see December 2, 2008 ALA press release, Members invited to submit questions to ALA presidential candidates via YouTube

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on GLBT Employment Rights: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Karen Schneider's question on enforcing ALA policy on GLBT rights.
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on GLBT Employment Rights: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Karen Schneider's question on enforcing ALA policy on GLBT rights.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on Why Librarians Should Join ALA: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Genevieve Grove's question on why librarians should join ALA.
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on Why Librarians Should Join ALA: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Genevieve Grove's question on why librarians should join ALA.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on Social Media and Advocacy: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Carolyn Wood's question on how ALA can harness the power of social media for library advocacy.
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on Social Media and Advocacy: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Carolyn Wood's question on how ALA can harness the power of social media for library advocacy.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on E-participation: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Tom Peters's question on how ALA can enable participation without travel (Peters is Maxito Ricardo in Second Life).
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on E-participation: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Tom Peters's question on how ALA can enable participation without travel (Peters is Maxito Ricardo in Second Life).

Ann Brashares Interview: ALA's "Booklist" magazine sat down with author Ann Brashares to talk about her new book "3 Willows" and how it compares to her bestselling "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series. Brashares opens up about the chances of the new book expanding into a series, how hard it is to let go of beloved characters, and how she likes to imagine her characters' lives at age 4, 14, 40, and beyond.

More...
Second Life Users Group

Discussion Newest Videos at AL Focus Video Village as of April 6, 2009

by Valerie Hawkins (staff) on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 05:08 pm

Copy of notecard distributed to Second Life Groups: ALA SL-Events, ALA-VW, and Librarians of Second Life.

AL Focus is the video home of American Libraries (AL) magazine -- the monthly magazine for ALA members. AL Focus Video Village is where you can watch AL Focus videos on ALA Island in the Second Life virtual world..

Newest videos available:

Copy of notecard distributed to Second Life Groups: ALA SL-Events, ALA-VW, and Librarians of Second Life.

AL Focus is the video home of American Libraries (AL) magazine -- the monthly magazine for ALA members. AL Focus Video Village is where you can watch AL Focus videos on ALA Island in the Second Life virtual world..

Newest videos available:

Kate DiCamillo interview: Kate DiCamillo, author of The Tale of Despereaux and Because of Winn-Dixie, sat down with ALA "Booklist" magazine's Ilene Cooper to talk about seeing her creations become major motion pictures, the surreal moments that came along with the Despereaux phenomenon, and her latest projects. Also, there's tons of laughing.

2009 ACRL National Conference: In this overview of the 2009 Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL, a division of ALA) National Conference, keynoter Sherman Alexie discusses a terminology conundrum, Mary K. Van Ullen explains the effect of cultural differences on teaching about plagiarism, Diane Dallis describes Indiana University's planned research commons, and keynoter Ira Glass demonstrates how This American Life uses music to make stories come to life.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses Series --
Four questions x two Presidential Candidates = 8 videos

For details, see December 2, 2008 ALA press release, Members invited to submit questions to ALA presidential candidates via YouTube

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on GLBT Employment Rights: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Karen Schneider's question on enforcing ALA policy on GLBT rights.
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on GLBT Employment Rights: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Karen Schneider's question on enforcing ALA policy on GLBT rights.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on Why Librarians Should Join ALA: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Genevieve Grove's question on why librarians should join ALA.
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on Why Librarians Should Join ALA: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Genevieve Grove's question on why librarians should join ALA.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on Social Media and Advocacy: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Carolyn Wood's question on how ALA can harness the power of social media for library advocacy.
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on Social Media and Advocacy: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Carolyn Wood's question on how ALA can harness the power of social media for library advocacy.

ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Oliver on E-participation: ALA Presidential Candidate Kenton Oliver responds to Tom Peters's question on how ALA can enable participation without travel (Peters is Maxito Ricardo in Second Life).
ALA Presidential Candidate Question Responses-Stevens on E-participation: ALA Presidential Candidate Roberta Stevens responds to Tom Peters's question on how ALA can enable participation without travel (Peters is Maxito Ricardo in Second Life).

Ann Brashares Interview: ALA's "Booklist" magazine sat down with author Ann Brashares to talk about her new book "3 Willows" and how it compares to her bestselling "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series. Brashares opens up about the chances of the new book expanding into a series, how hard it is to let go of beloved characters, and how she likes to imagine her characters' lives at age 4, 14, 40, and beyond.

More...
LITA (Library and Information Technology Association)

Discussion Welcome to the Drupal4Lib Group

by Leo Klein on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 03:21 pm

Suggestions as to how we can use this group and how it will mesh with the Drupal4Lib ListServ and the Drupal Library Group are appreciated.

Drupal4Lib Interest Group (LITA)

Discussion Welcome to the Drupal4Lib Group

by Leo Klein on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 03:21 pm

Suggestions as to how we can use this group and how it will mesh with the Drupal4Lib ListServ and the Drupal Library Group are appreciated.

Pages