Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
The American Dream Starts @ your library

Discussion American Dream at Sumter County Library

by Robert Harden (non-member) on Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:16 am

I am Robert Harden, Director of the Sumter County Library in South Carolina.  We are very happy to have received the American Dream Starts at Your Library grant from Dollar General.  We are purchasing a bi-lingual (English/Spanish) AWE Early Literacy Station Laptop.  We will be using this as an outreach tool when our Bookmobile visits Day Care Centers.  It will also be used in conjunction with ESL classes held at the library during the year - children often accompany parents who attend these classes, so they will be able to use the laptop while their parents are taking the classes.  We are

I am Robert Harden, Director of the Sumter County Library in South Carolina.  We are very happy to have received the American Dream Starts at Your Library grant from Dollar General.  We are purchasing a bi-lingual (English/Spanish) AWE Early Literacy Station Laptop.  We will be using this as an outreach tool when our Bookmobile visits Day Care Centers.  It will also be used in conjunction with ESL classes held at the library during the year - children often accompany parents who attend these classes, so they will be able to use the laptop while their parents are taking the classes.  We are also purchasing a subscription to BYKI - a web based language system with over 80 languages, including English for Spanish speakers.

More...
GLBTRT Bylaws & Procedure Manual Ad hoc Committee

Online Doc Mission and Bylaws Revision - March 2010

by Peter Hepburn on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:55 am

GLBTRT Mission Statement and Bylaws

Mission Statement

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table of the American Library Association is committed to serving the information needs of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered professional library community, and the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered information and access needs of individuals at large. We are committed to encouraging and supporting the free and necessary access to all information, as reflected by the missions of the American Library Association and democratic institutions.

GLBTRT Mission Statement and Bylaws

Mission Statement

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table of the American Library Association is committed to serving the information needs of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered professional library community, and the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered information and access needs of individuals at large. We are committed to encouraging and supporting the free and necessary access to all information, as reflected by the missions of the American Library Association and democratic institutions.

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table provides its members, other American Library Association divisions, members, and affiliates, and the library and information science field as a whole with a forum for discussion and an environment for education and learning regarding the needs of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered professional community and population at large.

I. PURPOSE

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table of the American Library Association shall:

  • promote the improved quality, quantity, and accessibility of library materials and service of particular interest or usefulness to lesbian, bisexual, gay, and transgendered people of all ages;
  • promote awareness of and develop funding sources outside of ALA for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table Book Awards, and programs;
  • develop, promote and defend unrestricted access of all library users to information by or about gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people;
  • provide bibliographic services to librarians, archivists, other information professionals, and library users;
  • work toward eliminating job discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered employees of libraries, archives, and information centers;
  • advocate revising classification schemes, subject heading lists, indices, etc., in order to remove terms derogatory to the lives, activities, and contributions to culture and society of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people;
  • remind the membership and leadership of ALA as often as necessary that many librarians, archivists, other information specialists, and library users are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered people; support other minority groups working for adequate representation and equal opportunity within ALA;
  • work with groups outside ALA interested in achieving equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people;
  • provide opportunities for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered librarians, archivists, and other information specialists attending ALA conferences to meet and socialize with one another; and
  • promote the ALA Library Bill of Rights and its Code of Ethics.

II. VOTING STATUS AND CANDIDACY FOR OFFICE

Voting Status

Members of the American Library Association Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table are eligible to vote in Round Table elections.

Candidates for Office

At the Membership Meeting during the Annual Conference, the Membership Promotion Committee will announce a slate of candidates for the next ballot. At that Membership Meeting, other individuals may also announce their candidacy for vacant offices. Nominated candidate names will be submitted to ALA for inclusion on the Spring Ballot. Newly elected officers will take office the last day of Annual Conference during which they were elected.

Qualifications

Candidates for elected offices must be members of ALA, must be members of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Round Table, and must agree to attend the Membership and Steering Committee meetings scheduled for the Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings during his/her term of office.

III. MEETINGS

The Round Table must conduct at least one Membership Meeting at the Association's Annual Conference. The Round Table Steering Committee shall meet at least twice at both Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting. Membership and Steering Committee meetings are open to anyone who wishes to attend them.

IV. OFFICERS

Titles and Terms of Office

The Round Table shall elect Co-Chairs of differing gender identity, a Secretary, and a Treasurer, each serving a term of two years. One Co-Chair and a Secretary shall be elected during even numbered years. One Co-Chair and a Treasurer shall be elected during odd numbered years. Officers may not hold the same office for more than two consecutive terms without approval of the Steering Committee. The Steering Committee will select a person to serve for the remainder of the term of any office that becomes unexpectedly vacant.

Duties of the Co-Chairs

The duties of the Co-Chairs include:

  • ·         presiding at all membership and Steering Committee meetings;
  • ·         coordinating the meeting schedule for all Annual and Midwinter meetings and submitting the proper ALA forms to the various Round Table Chairs as well as the Office of Conference Services on a timely basis;
  • ·         appointing the chairs of standing and Ad hoc committees and delegating tasks as appropriate to those chairpersons;
  • ·         acting as spokespersons for the Round Table;
  • ·         acting as liaisons to the Office for Literacy and Outreach Services;
  • ·         appointing two Round Table members on a two-year staggered schedule as the representatives of the Round Table to the ALA Diversity Council; and
  • responding promptly to correspondence addressed to the Round Table.

No decision or instruction made by a Co-Chair shall conflict with a decision or instruction made by the Round Table membership or the Steering Committee.

Duties of the Secretary

The duties of the Secretary include:

  • ·         attending all Steering Committee and Membership meetings at both Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings during their term of office;
  • ·         preparing and distributing an agenda for each of the Steering Committee and Membership meetings;
  • ·         taking attendance and recording minutes of these meetings and promptly distributing copies of them to Steering Committee members and to other individuals or organizations mentioned in the minutes;
  • ·         maintaining a file of Round Table minutes, the Steering Committee roster, and the bylaws;
  • ·         maintaining the GLBTRT committee listservs, adding and deleting subscriptions as directed by the Co-Chairs and committee chairs, responding to requests for subscription, and working with the ALA Internet Coordinator, who is the Round Table list co-owner.

Duties of the Treasurer

The duties of the Treasurer include:

  • ·         attending all Steering Committee and Membership meetings at both Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings during their term of office;
  • ·         participate as an ex-officio member of the Fundraising Committee;
  • ·         recruiting and maintaining a committee to aid/advise in his/her efforts;
  • ·         representing the Round Table on the Planning and Budget Assembly;
  • ·         preparing annual budget of the Round Table for approval by the Steering Committee;
  • ·         collecting and archiving expense and receipt reports from the various Round Table Committee Chairs;
  • ·         handling reimbursement requests for authorized expenses incurred by Round Table members in connection with Round Table activities; and
  • ·         managing relations with external organizations in efforts to produce funds to support the Stonewall Book Awards and other programs and projects approved by the Steering Committee and/or the membership at large.

V. COMMITTEES

The Round Table shall pursue its goals primarily through the work of its committees. A voting Round Table member as designated by the Round Table Co-Chairs shall chair each committee. Whenever possible, a committee chair will be selected after s/he has served in an apprentice capacity during the preceding year, and after consultation with other committee members. Any member interested in serving on a committee must fill out the GLBTRT Committee Volunteer web form.

Steering Committee

The elected officers and appointed chairs of the standing committees shall constitute the Round Table Steering Committee. The Steering Committee may not make a decision inconsistent with a decision made by Round Table members at a membership meeting. The Steering Committee shall:

  • ·         have general supervision of the affairs of the Round Table between its membership meetings;
  • ·         determine the times and places of the membership meetings;
  • ·         review and approve an annual budget;
  • ·         authorize Round Table projects, activities, and publications that are not authorized at membership meetings;
  • ·         review new Round Table publication and determine price (if any) before it is published or distributed;
  • ·         make recommendations to the membership;
  • ·         provide guidance to the Co-Chairs; and
  • ·         set annual or longer-term goals for the Round Table.

Standing Committees

The ongoing work of the Round Table shall be carried out by its Standing Committees. A new Standing Committee must be authorized by a two-thirds vote of the members present at a membership meeting of the Round Table.

Standing Committee chairs shall serve two-year terms, and will be appointed by the C-Chairs. Any chair of a Standing Committee who cannot attend a Steering Committee meeting due to unforeseeable events shall communicate committee activities, concerns, or needs to the Co-Chairs and/or the Steering Committee in advance of the meeting.

Ad hoc Committees and Projects

Special projects shall be authorized by the Co-Chairs as the Round Table membership, its Steering Committee, or the Co-Chairs shall deem necessary to carry out specific activities.

Any member of the Round Table may propose a special project at a Steering Committee, Membership Meeting, through an announcement in the newsletter, or via the listserv. Upon endorsement of the project by the membership or by the Steering Committee, the Co-Chairs shall appoint an individual to coordinate the project or to direct those interested to designate a chair.

Ad hoc Committees shall be formed as necessary to complete the business of the Round Table for projects of limited length. Formation of Ad hoc Committees will require a majority vote of the Steering Committee

Duties of Committee Chairs

The chair of any Round Table committee is responsible for:

  • ·         attending all Steering Committee and Membership meetings at both Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings during their term of office;
  • ·         contacting and remaining in adequate communication with members who have expressed an interest in serving on a committee;
  • ·         recruiting and appointing members for their committee;
  • ·         sending letters of appointment to new committee members for their professional portfolios;
  • ·         mentoring an "apprentice" from within the ranks of that committee who will be recommended to the Co-Chairs as a future Chair of that committee;
  • ·         sending requests for committee member listserv additions and deletions to the Secretary of the Round Table;
  • ·         Submitting committee member names and contact information to the Co-Chairs, Secretary and the Web Committee, sending updated information as needed;
  • ·         keeping the Round Table Co-Chairs informed of committee plans, needs, activities, and issues;
  • ·         submitting budget requests to the Treasurer before the beginning of Steering Committee II meeting during the Midwinter Meeting;
  • ·         submitting expense reports, receipts and refund requests to the Treasurer in a timely manner;
  • ·         reporting committee activities to the Round Table at all Steering Committee and membership meetings;
  • ·         submitting progress reports and committee announcements to the Newsletter Editor according to the publishing schedule;
  • ·         submitting publicity and website content and information to the Newsletter Editor and/or to the Website Committee Chair as appropriate;
  • ·         maintaining that committee's portion of the Round Table Handbook, updating whenever appropriate with changes approved by the Steering Committee; and
  • ·         convening at least one committee meeting at Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings prior to the second Steering Committee meeting.

CURRENT STANDING COMMITTEES

External Relations Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the External Relations Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         publicizing the programs, activities and publications of the Round Table to individuals and organizations outside ALA;
  • ·         monitoring ALA units, affiliates, and external library organizations on issues that need the attention/participation of the Round Table (e.g. Council, Diversity Council, internet filtering, Family Friendly Libraries, etc.);
  • ·         preparing letters or resolutions for supportive and educational external communications to be approved and signed by the Round Table Co-chairs;
  • ·         preparing press releases in a timely manner to announce the Book Awards; and
  • ·         seeking and working with outside organizations who would like to partner with the Round Table to share information and conduct programs.

Fundraising Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the Fundraising Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         organizing and overseeing the raising of funds from sources other than Round Table dues to support the Round Table activities;
  • ·         coordinating committee activities with the ALA Office of Development;
  • ·         monitoring funding opportunities from the private sector;
  • ·         monitoring grant programs for funding of specific Round Table Projects; and
  • ·         coordinating with the Treasurer and Round Table Co-Chairs the receipt of donations to the Round Table, whether monetary, bequests, or gifts-in-kind.

Membership Promotion Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the Membership Promotion Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         coordinating the staffing of the professional exhibit booth at Annual Conference and other ALA events;
  • ·         coordinating fundraising goals in pursuit of financial resources that will help to ensure the continuity of the Round Table and all of its activities;
  • ·         developing written materials to promote Round Table membership to ALA members;
  • ·         distributing membership materials to library schools to encourage participation in the Round Table.; and
  • ·         publicizing the programs, activities and publications of the Round Table to ALA membership.

Newsletter Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs, " the Newsletter Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         compiling, producing, and distributing a newsletter four times each calendar year;
  • ·         publishing a newsletter submission schedule coordinated with ALA parent office printing and mailing schedules;
  • ·         announce proposed projects or publications and invite interested individuals to participate in working on these projects or publications;
  • ·         review books and other materials of interest to members of the Round Table and collection development librarians;
  • ·         report other news of interest to Round Table members; and
  • ·         serve as a forum for the discussion of views among Round Table members about the Round Table's activities, priorities, and problems.

The Steering Committee shall determine the cost of a subscription to the newsletter. The cost of the newsletter shall not exceed the income generated by subscriptions (and advertising revenues, if any); additional funds from the Round Table budget used to pay expenses incurred in connection with producing and distributing the newsletter must be approved in advance by the Steering Committee.

Program Planning Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs, " the Program Planning Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         assigning one person to coordinate program activities with the Round Table Steering Committee and with the Office of Conference Services of ALA;
  • ·         keeping planning activities on the two-year planning cycle as per the ALA planning grid;
  • ·         finding co-sponsors, when appropriate for the various Round Table programs; and
  • ·         monitoring programs of other ALA units which the Round Table may wish to sponsor.

Rainbow Project Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the Rainbow Project Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         annually designating current recommended books, of particular importance and quality and with significant GLBTQ content, for young readers from birth through age 18;
  • ·         following and updating written procedures for committee responsibilities that are consistent with the American Library Association guidelines for lists of selected materials;
  • ·         ensuring that the committee completes its deliberations and communicates its decisions to ALA personnel in time for adequate publicity and for formal announcement of the annual list at the Association's Midwinter Meeting;
  • ·         ensuring that expenses and revenues are shared equitably between sponsoring round tables (GLBT-RT & SRRT);
  • ·         working with the chair of the GLBT-RT Book Awards Committee to share publication information about children's and young adult books; and
  • ·         planning and coordinating a celebratory event to promote the Project within ALA, to be held during Annual Conferences occurring in even-numbered years.

The Rainbow Project Chair will serve the first year of a two-year term as "chair-elect"; and the second year as "chair."

Stonewall Book Awards Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the Stonewall Book Awards Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

 

  • ·         annually designating award winning publications of particular importance and quality that promote or describe a subject of concern to lesbians, bisexuals, gay men and/or transgender individuals;
  • ·         developing written procedures for selecting the winners of these awards that are consistent with the American Library Association guidelines for awards;
  • ·         working closely with the Stonewall Book Awards Celebration Planning Committee to produce a successful event;
  • ·         ensuring that the committee completes its deliberations and communicates its decisions to ALA personnel in time for adequate publicity for the formal announcement of the award winner at the Midwinter Meeting;
  • ·         providing the External Relations Committee and the Membership Promotion Committee with information, so that Book Awards press releases can go out in a timely manner; and
  • ·         sharing information regarding the publication of any books potentially suitable for GLBTQ youth with the Rainbow Project Committee.

Stonewall Book Awards Celebration Planning Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the Stonewall Book Awards Celebration Planning Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         keeping planning activities on the two-year planning cycle as per the ALA planning grid;
  • ·         working closely with the Stonewall Book Awards Committee Chair, and the Program Planning Committee Chair in the planning of the Annual GLBTRT Stonewall Book Awards Celebration (so as to avoid conflicting and/or repetitive efforts, requests, and offerings);
  • ·         coordinating the members of that committee in the set-up of the celebration; and
  • ·         coordinating the celebration arrangements with the sponsoring hotel’s catering staff.

Website Committee

In addition to the activities listed above under "Duties of the committee chairs," the Website Committee, under the guidance of its Chair, is responsible for:

  • ·         evaluating the Round Table’s Internet presence and making suggestions to the Steering Committee about how to best utilize Internet resources to further the mission of the Round Table;
  • ·         maintaining knowledge of the ALA content management system to better manage and further develop the Round Table website;
  • ·         maintaining knowledge of accessibility standards and usability metrics and applying them to the Round Table web presence;
  • ·         keeping the Steering Committee informed of new technologies that may be useful for conducting meetings, maintaining the website and online documents; and
  • ·         posting updates in a timely manner to the Round Table website and other Round Table sites at the request of the Steering Committee.

 

VI. FINANCES

Budget

The Treasurer is responsible for preparing the annual budget for Steering Committee review and subsequent approval by the beginning of the second Steering Committee meeting at the Midwinter Meeting. Changes in the budget may be proposed by Steering Committee members before final approval by the Steering Committee as a whole at the same meeting.

All Standing Committee Chairs are required to submit budget requests to the Treasurer before the beginning of the second Steering Committee at the Midwinter Meeting. When approved by the Steering Committee, the proposed budget will be forwarded to the Office for Literacy and Outreach Services for submission to the ALA Budget Committee. Final budget figures will be communicated to the Co-Chairs and the Treasurer by the Director of the Office for Literacy and Outreach Services.

Reimbursements

Round Table members who incur expenses in connection with an authorized budgeted Round Table activity may submit a request for reimbursement to the Treasurer.

Receipts must be provided to support such a request. The Treasurer will shepherd a timely reimbursement of all expenses. Reimbursements for expenses over $25.00 must be authorized in advance by the Treasurer or the Round Table Co-Chairs.

Income generated by a project or a publication by a standing committee or an Ad hoc committee will be used first to support the continued work of that committee and then to support other Round Table initiatives as needed. Income generated by the activity or publication of an Ad hoc committee or Special Project will be used to further the work of that committee or project until the work is complete. Chairs of standing or ad hoc committees will maintain records of financial transactions connected with the work of the committee and will forward those records to the Treasurer as appropriate.

VII. ROUND TABLE LISTSERVS

GLBTRT-L

The Secretary shall maintain a listserv for current members. Subscription to the listserv shall be open to all members of ALA. New members will be automatically subscribed to the listserv.

Committee Listservs

Standing or Ad hoc committees may establish listservs for internal communication. Round Table Co-Chairs shall be added as subscribers to all standing or Ad hoc committee listservs except the Stonewall Book Award Committee listserv.

VIII. VI. LIAISONS

Establishing liaisons to specific target groups will be encouraged when the relationship appears to be beneficial to the Round Table. The Co-Chairs will appoint liaisons from the membership to other groups both inside and outside ALA. Liaison terms will be for two years, not to exceed two consecutive terms (four years). Liaison appointments may be for specific projects or on-going. Reasons for establishing liaisons may include sharing of information on relevant and common issues, avoiding duplicate programming or publishing, sharing programming and/or publications, avoiding duplication of organizational structures, and providing expert guidance in issues familiar to both groups. Duties will include:

  • ·         representing the interests of the Round Table within the context of the target group;
  • ·         attending meetings of the target group when possible;
  • ·         subscribing to newsletters, and participate in relevant listservs;
  • ·         providing summary reports in writing or electronically of liaison activities to the Steering Committee;
  • ·         participating in program planning with target group when appropriate.

IX.  VII. PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY

Disputes over the procedures used in making a decision at a Round Table or Steering Committee meeting shall be resolved by reliance upon the provisions contained in the "Rules of Order" that ALA Council uses.

X. VIII. AMENDING THE BYLAWS

The bylaws may be amended at the annual Membership Meeting by a majority of the voting members attending. The proposed amendments must have been announced at a previous membership meeting or have been published in an issue of the newsletter and/or posted on the website not less than thirty days before the annual Membership Meeting. Otherwise, proposed amendments will require at least three-fourths of the voting members attending the Annual Membership Meeting for approval.

Revision History

  • Revised July 2009
    • Bylaws Revisions Document: [PDF Text File: 104KB]
    • Bylaws Revisions with Membership Meeting Amendments: [PDF Text File: 113KB]
  • April 2007 Version, Amendments to Article IV Adopted in Election [PDF Text File: 80KB;] [PDF Web Capture: 134KB]
  • Revisions of June 1999 and May 2002 approved, June 2002 Membership Meeting
  • Document approved June 1998
More...
ALCTS

Discussion Cataloging Norms Interest Group - Annual Meeting in DC

by Rebecca Routh on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:17 pm

ALA ALCTS CCS Cataloging Norms Interest Group
ALA Annual Program, Washington D. C.
Saturday, June 26, 2010, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Hilton Washington Hotel, Meeting Room "Columbia 5"

All are invited to attend the meeting of the Cataloging Norms Interest Group in Washington D.C. on Saturday, June 26 from 1:30 to 3:30, featuring three speakers on a range of timely topics.  

ALA ALCTS CCS Cataloging Norms Interest Group
ALA Annual Program, Washington D. C.
Saturday, June 26, 2010, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
Hilton Washington Hotel, Meeting Room "Columbia 5"

All are invited to attend the meeting of the Cataloging Norms Interest Group in Washington D.C. on Saturday, June 26 from 1:30 to 3:30, featuring three speakers on a range of timely topics.  

1. Authority control and the digital repository: what happens to controlled vocabulary once it's outside the ILS?
Karen Miller (Monographic/Digital Projects Cataloger, Northwestern University Library)

Most libraries have figured out how to update the ILS with MARC authority changes, but authority control in digital repositories is another story. As catalogers become more integrated into digital projects workflow, they incorporate controlled vocabulary into metadata used outside the ILS and the realm of traditional authority control. Catalogers may be creating MARC records which are repurposed by export from the ILS or they may be creating metadata outside the ILS directly in XML, but drawing on a controlled vocabulary. Controlled vocabulary terms slowly but inevitably become out of synch with the original authority file used to supply them. Preferred terminology changes, people die, and authority files are updated. This presentation will examine the scope of metadata synchronization issues with special focus on authority control and describe efforts underway at NUL to address them.

2. Best Practices for CONTENTdm Users Creating Shareable Metadata
Sheila Bair (Metadata & Cataloging Librarian, Western Michigan University)
Myung-Ja Han (Metadata Librarian, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

The OCLC CONTENTdm Metadata Working Group consists of thirty-four members representing libraries, archives, and museums. Meeting from August through December of 2009 through bi-weekly telephone conferences, the group discussed issues dealing with mandatory core elements, Dublin Core-to-MARC mapping, and content standards relevant to the use of CONTENTdm and the OCLC Digital Collection Gateway. The group has developed a draft “Best Practices for CONTENTdm Users Creating Shareable Metadata.” The presentation will introduce some of the issues related to migrating metadata from CONTENTdm to WorldCat (from Dublin Core to MARC) using the Gateway and the solutions the group has developed so far.

3. Discovery Layer or Monster Mash?

Marliese Thomas (Database Enhancement Librarian, Auburn University Libraries)

Discovery solutions have recently allowed us to search more and search more differently than ever before. However, when Auburn University began working with VuFind, and later EBSCO Discovery Service, we "discovered" exactly how important metadata placement and consistency can be. See how we have identified these trouble areas and how we are trying to resolve mapping issues to maximize the benefits of these new technologies.

Rebecca Routh, co-chair
Catalog Librarian
University of Iowa Libraries
Rebecca-routh@uiowa.edu

Michael Kim, co-chair
Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services
University of Miami Richter Library
michaelkim@miami.edu

More...
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 2003 Annual Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:16 pm

MINUTES SUMMARY

Committee to Study Serials Cataloging

ALCTS Serials Section

2003 Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

 

Monday, June 23, 2003, 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.

Sheraton Centre Toronto, Conference Room B/C

 

Present:  John Radencich (Chair), Eugene Dickerson, Renette Davis, Craig Dowski, David Van Hoy, Felicity Ann Dykas (Intern, Recorder)

MINUTES SUMMARY

Committee to Study Serials Cataloging

ALCTS Serials Section

2003 Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

 

Monday, June 23, 2003, 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.

Sheraton Centre Toronto, Conference Room B/C

 

Present:  John Radencich (Chair), Eugene Dickerson, Renette Davis, Craig Dowski, David Van Hoy, Felicity Ann Dykas (Intern, Recorder)

Absent:  Cathy Weng (Intern), Nancy Chaffin (Intern)

 

I. Welcome and Introduction of CSSC Members – John Radencich, Library, Florida International University and Chair, Committee to Study Serials Cataloging)

II. Announcements – John Radencich

This is to be Jean Hirons’ last official ALA act before her retirement at the end of the month.  Along with her own presentations, she will be also giving the reports for Regina Reynolds and Everett Allgood, who could not be present.

The committee is planning a program for the annual conference in Orlando, 2004.  It is only now in the preliminary stages.  There will be more information later.

III. Report from CC:DA – David Van Hoy, Serials Cataloger, Library, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

There were two items of particular interest to serial catalogers.  First, the Task Force on an Appendix of Major/Minor Changes completed its charge and created a document that is ready for publication.  No publisher has been identified yet, but there are several possibilities for publication.  Second, after making some changes, the CC:DA approved a Chapter 12 rule revision proposal to bring integrating resources under the same guidelines as serials.

IV. News and Reports from the Library of Congress, National Serials Data Program, and CONSER – Jean Hirons, CONSER Coordinator, Library of Congress, speaking for Regina Reynolds.

Among items reported: LC has eight new serials catalogers, LC is continuing its serials holdings conversion and inventory clean-up on uncaught title changes, the ISSN standard is up for a five-year review. 

V. Implementing AACR2 Revised Chapter 12 in Canada – Chris Oliver, Specialist Cataloging Services Librarian, McGill University Library.

In general, Canada was well prepared for the coming changes in serials cataloging brought on by the AACR2 Chapter 12 revision.  They had a high level of awareness before the changes, thanks to conference attendance, SCCTP workshops, and by keeping up on the literature, especially that available through listservs and web sites.  They had much varied literature ready and used it in extensive training sessions.  When the time for implementation finally came they were ready. There are still some points of concern, in particular who is to take care of integrating resources and how the major/minor changes area of the revised rules is to play out. Finally, Chris gave an overview of  "Projet TRAP."  This is a cooperative venture among all the university libraries of Quebec to share the work of cataloging electronic resources and to maintain the resulting records.

VI. FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records).  A Report on the CONSER Task Force on FRBR and Serials – Jean Hirons, speaking for Everett Allgood.

The task force met in May.  They looked at what they considered the desired outcome of FRBR for serials.  Among these outcomes: navigation among records is to be easier, with better search results; holdings displays would be better and not title dependent; there is to be a clear indication of physical manifestations, along with a decrease in workload; and there will be better displays of relationships.  It was noted that, despite all the work and talk in the library world over FRBR, so far, unfortunately, little of it involves serials and the focus seems to be on non-serial material.

VII.  Update on Implementing Bibliographic Level “i” and Other Matters: A Vendors’ Perspective.  Ed Glazier, Research Libraries Group.

Ed Glazier of RLG gave a brief presentation on RLG's implementation of Bib Lvl "i".  The "i" code in Leader/07 was implemented in Dec. 2002, as well as the new frequency code "k" for "continuously updated."  Repeatability of field 260 is expected to be implemented next year. Following this, John Radencich, CSSC Chair, read a statement supplied by Robert Bremer of OCLC on that organization's plans on implementing Bib Lvl "i".  Due to the need to focus on its new Oracle-based system, implementation of "i" at OCLC will not occur until some time after June 2005.

VIII.  CONSER Aggregator Neutral Record – Jean Hirons.

Finally, Jean Hirons gave her presentation on "The Aggregator-Neutral Record."  This involves the decision by CONSER libraries to use one record to represent all the online manifestations of an electronic serial.  Since one record is to represent several serial manifestations, cataloging will be done at the basic level, with no notes or other data specific to a particular aggregation.  (Exception is that each URL for the different aggregations will be noted in the record.)  As a result, some areas in the cataloged record will move closer to identification than description.  This new way of cataloging electronic serials will be implemented July 1, 2003. 

After this presentation, which was detailed and serious, Jean decided to have some fun and gave a surprise presentation on "GRBR, the Graphical Representation of Bibliographic Records."  It was an "artist's interpretation" of FRBR and was done in a humorous vein, which was very much enjoyed by the audience.

Finally, Jean took some time to talk with the audience on her career as a librarian and her new career as a pastel artist.  As a librarian she had many accomplishments, which she was proud of, with which the audience heartily agreed.  She is already an accomplished artist, but now she is looking forward to devoting her full time to it so that she can become even better.

 

More...
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 2006 Annual Forum Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:13 pm

ALCTS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee Annual Update Forum on Monday, June 26, 2006, 1:30-3:30 pm, at the Morial Convention Center.

 

ALCTS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee Annual Update Forum on Monday, June 26, 2006, 1:30-3:30 pm, at the Morial Convention Center.

 

Present: Renette Davis (Chair), Eugene H. Dickerson, Jr., Kevin Randall, Tina Shrader, Cathy Weng, Anna Ashikhmina (Intern), Selina Lin (Intern),

 

Agenda:

 

I.                  

Welcome, announcements, and introductions (Renette Davis)

II.               

 Reports/Discussions.

A.   

CONSER report (Les Hawkins)         

B.    

LC/ISSN/NSDP report (Regina Reynolds)

C.    

CC:DA report/RDA update (Kevin Randall, Marjorie Bloss)

D.   

Access Level Record for Serials Pilot report (Regina Reynolds)

E.    

Discussion of limited use of latest entry for minor changes, etc. (Eugene Dickerson)

Minutes

 

I.                  

Welcome, announcements, and introductions (Renette Davis)

II.               

 Reports/Discussions.

A. Les Hawkins, CONSER Coordinator, Library of Congress

Les reported on:

 CONSER-At-Large ALA Meeting of June 25, 2006 Series panel. BIBCO colleagues were invited to participate in this part of the meeting. Ideas for series simplification, documentation, and practices were discussed. Documentation for series practices in BIBCO and CONSER seem to differ in whether tracing and creation of series authority records are required. BIBCO core level requirements: untraced series need not be supported by authority records. CONSER requirements: series “headings” require series authority records but tracing is not addressed.

SCCTP.  Steven J. Miller, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries and School of Information Studies converted the SCCTP Integrating Resources Cataloging Workshop for online asynchronous learning. Content redesigned and supplemented by Lisa Furubotten, Texas A&M University. Sixteen students mostly from the United States, but also from England, New Zealand, and Lebanon, participated in the workshop. In February, four SCCTP trainers attended the online course “Teaching Courses in a Live Online Environment” taught by Christine Peterson, Continuing Education Librarian of Amigos Library Services. This training was aimed at teaching SCCTP trainers to repackage existing SCCTP materials and familiarize them with teaching in an online format.

 

Status of implementing bibliographic level “i”. OCLC implemented the bibliographic level code “i” in June. LC asked PCC members not to convert LC records until more system work is done.  LC will distribute serials and integrating resources in one combined CDS file. BIBCO and CONSER members contributing to OCLC will be able to cooperatively maintain records for integrating resources. Several implementation issues remain for making distribution possible, including consideration of authentication codes and the development of documentation.

 

 

B. Regina Reynolds, Head, National Serials Data Program, Library of Congress.

Regina reported on:

Reorganization in Acquisition and Bibliographic Access Division. Serial Record Division staff being moved to Monographic Cataloging and Acquisition.

NSDP/ISSN.  ISSN standard has been under revision for several years. A revised version of the standard has been submitted to ISO for registration as Draft International Standard 3297 in May 2006. The 6-month voting period on DIS 3297 is 5/30/2006 to 11/30/2006 and it is hoped that publication can take place in the first half of 2007.

NSDP has been waiting for code “i” to be implemented. Regina hoped to begin assigning ISSNs to integrating resources this summer giving preferences to those replacing serials.

ISSN Portal (Formerly ISSN Online). ISSN Portal enriched by new automatically generated links to 17 national libraries and catalogs. Also by default all ISSN records display links to Google and Yahoo searches, using ISSN.

ISSN update:  http://www.ala.org/ala/alcts/alctsconted/alctsceevents/alctsannual/ISSNrevision.ppt

 

 

C. Kevin Randall, Head Serials Cataloging, Northwestern University Library

     Marjorie Bloss, RDA Project Coordinator

 

 

Kevin spoke about ALCTS publication: Differences between Changes within: Guidelines on When to Create a New Record. PDF version available free to ALCTS members. There are corrections to be made and differences between print and PDF versions to be resolved; it is recommended that if ALCTS is planning on future publications like this, the publishing process should be improved.

 

Kevin reported on CC:DA meetings from Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

RDA and JSC work were main topics of discussions during all 3 meetings.

 

On work of CRCC RDA Task Force.

 

Jennifer Bowen is ALA representative to JSC (Joint Steering Committee for Revision of AACR). All comments have to go to her.

Chair of task force supposed to write a summary of comments which is than submitted to CC:DA. Most of our comments went into the ALA response to JSC.

Chapter 6 and 7 draft is now available for comments. Task Force will be working on comments for current draft. Aug. 14 is a deadline for summary of comments to be submitted. Task force members will have to submit all their comments by the end of July.

 

 

 

Marjorie Bloss, RDA Project Coordinator, reported on work of JSC and RDA’s new developments.

 

Significant issues that are being considered by JSC are:

 

  • Relationships between some data elements were not addressed in part I of RDA.

Sub-types and sub-elements will be introduced.

  • Mode of issuance for continuing resources was a concern, JSC is still discussing this. JSC editor is working on discussion paper preparation.
  • Use of a primary access point in lieu of statement of responsibility will be kept as an option.

Chapters 6 & 7 are out for review. http://www.collectionscanada.ca/jsc/docs/5rda-parta-ch6&7.pdf

 

 

JSC meeting in Ottawa, Canada, 24-28 April 2006.

JSC decided to make changes to RDA structure. There will be 2 parts: A-Resource Description and Relationships (elements originally proposed for inclusion in parts I and II)  and B-Access Point Control (elements originally proposed for inclusion in part III). Terminology used in RDA will be revised to make a more clear distinction between “required element” and “element required if applicable” terms. Further work is required with structure of elements within RDA.

Ongoing work for JSC includes such topics as mode of issuance; appendices on capitalization, abbreviations, initial articles; access point for families; policy document on Glossary etc.

For more information:

http://www.rdaonline.org/,

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/jsc/0604out.html Ottawa Meeting report

D. Regina Reynolds, Head, National Serials Data Program, Library of Congress.

Regina reported on:

Access level record for serials pilot project.

The Access Level Record for Serials Working Group was formed to develop a single CONSER standard record that would apply to all formats (print as well as online), replace existing multiple record levels, and reduce serials cataloging costs by requiring in serial records only those elements that are necessary to meet FRBR user tasks. Training issue is a very important one, it takes years to train a serial cataloger. The record is intended to be a “floor” not ceiling. Catalogers can add additional elements if necessary.

Working group created set of mandatory elements and pilot projects instructions. The group also sought input from catalogers about record simplifications, and incorporated many of these ideas into cataloging guidelines to accompany the element set. Distinguishing uniform titles were omitted from the mandatory elements. In future guidelines, uniform titles for translations and language editions will be removed. Many notes, 321, 580, 550, 787 are not required. Place of publication was also omitted but later restored as one of the mandatory elements. Field 362 is unformatted for user comprehension.

Forteen U.S. libraries participated in pilot project, 38 catalogers created 327 records (167 access and 160 control), 256 records (78%) were original 71 records (21%) used OCLC member copy.

The average time saved in the creation of serial bibliographic descriptions was 20%. There was also evidence of a “learning curve” in using the access level guidelines. Cataloging times improved as a cataloger created more access level records, so future savings are anticipated to be greater.

Reference librarian’s views on evaluation of access level records were different. Most comments were positive about the simpler, “less cluttered” records and the clearer way some information was presented. Some reviewers preferred more detailed records, however admitting that the access level record would work “in 99 out of 100 reference transactions”. If place of publication were included in records, overall acceptability would rise from 48% to between 71% and 83%. Acceptability of access record if place of publication were included in records would be 66%.

At least 3 catalogers at 3 different institutions used the word “liberating: in their comments, most reviewers had not been aware that guidelines were “burdensome”.

Most positive comments were received on unformatted 362. It was found to be easier for both patrons and catalogers, especially those less trained.

Improving OPAC displays was suggested. One thought was to ask reviewers in the access project to design sample displays or provide requirements in a display appendix.

The final report is due after ALA and this will be sent to the PCC policy committee for approval of as a new CONSER standard. There are some recommendations to be made to MARBI and the JSC for RDA, and a number of implementation issues, including encoding level, authentication code, use of copy, and training/documentation issues.

Documentation should be freely available from the CONSER Web site.

The record should be implemented as soon as feasible. October 1, 2006 was recommended.

January meeting of CRCC will be a training session.

Final report: http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/alrFinalReport.html

 

 

 

D. Gene Dickerson, National Library of Medicine
 
Discussion of limited use of latest entry for minor changes, etc.
 
CONSER/CRCC working group proposal to use limited entry practice with successive entry serial records is available at:
http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/discussion-paper-limited.pdf
 
This paper was discussed at the CONSER Operations meeting in April and a summary of that discussion is available at:
http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/conop2006.html#2
 
Gene started the discussion with review of the current and previous practices.
 
Current practice.
Successive entry: when major change occurs, bibliographic record closed, new record created.
 
Previous practice.
Latest entry: when changes occurred bibliographic records were updated (245-current title, 247-previous title, etc.)
 
Suggestion for new cataloging code: 
Maybe we could have successive entry practice for major changes in title or main entry and limited latest entry practice for minor changes.
 
Pros and cons were discussed.
 
Comments/Suggestions/Concerns: 
--Possible problems with determining minor/major changes when multiple 247s are   present in a record
--If date supplied with 247, there will be no problem
--Field 260 redescription
--Names - “Latest Issue Description” rather than “Latest Entry Cataloging”

--International aspect: should be in sync with ISSN

--Different tagging for original, later and current titles

--Need to work with ILS vendors for exploring possibilities of improving public displays of current titles and other bibliographic elements

 

 

 

Respectfully submitted by,

 

Anna Ashikhmina

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                    

More...
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 1996 Annual Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 03:11 pm

Minutes of the ALCTS Serials Section
Committee To Study Serials Cataloging

American Library Association 1996 Annual Meeting New York, New York
Monday, July 8, 1996

Members present: Norma Fair (Chair), Joe Altimus, Lola Halpin, Margaret Mering.

Interns present: Lola Halpin, Carolynne Myall.

Liaisons present: Regina Reynolds (LC). Number of guests attending: 58

Agenda Items

Minutes of the ALCTS Serials Section
Committee To Study Serials Cataloging

American Library Association 1996 Annual Meeting New York, New York
Monday, July 8, 1996

Members present: Norma Fair (Chair), Joe Altimus, Lola Halpin, Margaret Mering.

Interns present: Lola Halpin, Carolynne Myall.

Liaisons present: Regina Reynolds (LC). Number of guests attending: 58

Agenda Items

Introductions and announcements: N. Fair.
The members and interns of the Committee introduced themselves. Then N.Fair announced changes in Committee membership. Ann Ercelawn, Norma Fair and Lola Halpin have completed their terms on the committee. Effective after the Annual Conference, Joe Altimus becomes chair; Carolynne Myall and Mechael Gago begin two-year terms as members; and Stephanie Schmitt, Evelyn Brass, and Whitney Alexander begin one-year appointments as interns.

N. Fair announced that the electronic version of the Committee's minutes will be archived on the ALA website.

Change to Minutes Distribution Guidelines of CSSC.
The Committee approved minor changes in its Guidelines for ALA/ALCTS/SS Committee to Study Serials Cataloging Minutes of Meetings. These changes concern procedures for transmitting the minutes to ALA, and reflect the requirements of ALA's current electronic environment.

Meeting times for 1997 Midwinter and Annual Conferences.
Following discussion with members of the audience, the Committee decided to continue to hold its meetings at its traditional time, 2 p.m. on Mondays.

CC:DA (Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access) report: Mitch Turitz.
In the absence of CC:DA liaison M. Horn, M. Turitz, a current member of CC:DA and former member of CSSC, presented the report. Turitz reminded audience members that the CC:DA is ALA's chief decision-making body for approving changes in library cataloging codes. At the July 1996 Annual Conference, CC:DA considered four proposals for revising AACR2 through incorporating provisions of some Library of Congress Rule Interpretations (LCRI) into the code itself. While the Joint Steering Committee representative to CC:DA suggested passing all of these, Turitz proposed instead that the serials community and others have a chance to consider possible implications, prior to adoption; CC:DA consequently adopted only the fourth proposal so far. Jean Hirons, Library of Congress, stated that she had drafted the proposals as part of LC's efforts to reduce the number and extent of LCRI. She explained that the proposals incorporated longstanding practice only, that there was nothing in the proposals that had not been in the LCRI, and that the proposals would not affect current serials practice. Specifically, these proposals concerned omission of titles from the title proper (AACR2 12.1B1), omission of names, dates, and numbers from the title proper (12.1B7), words and phrases other than forms of a corporate body's name when presented as part of title (12.1B3), and relationships with other serials, particularly the removal of the concept of subsidiary edition (12.7B7).

R. Reynolds asked Turitz if he was calling for comments on the concept of collapsing rule interpretations into the rules themselves, or if his intention was to provide those who had not been keeping current with LCRI an opportunity to comment on their content. Turitz replied that he would be interested in either kind of comment, and asked interested parties to send their observations to him at San Francisco State University, email turitz@sfsu.edu. Following the meeting, Turitz distributed copies of the proposals.

MARBI report: J. Altimus.
The MARBI meetings of July 6 and 7 included consideration of two discussion papers of interest to serialists. Discussion Paper 96 dealt with defining a URN element (Uniform Resource Name) for USMARC. While proposed standards for URNs are forthcoming, there is at present still too much uncertainty to allow for an informed definition of a field or subfield for URNs in USMARC.

The DP mentioned a model for URN assignment by publishers similar to ISBN assignment. Some participants expressed concerns about how this model would work for online serials, while others were confident that a way would be found to deal with such a model. Following the appearance of a proposal for a URN standards later this year, these issues will be revisited.

Discussion Paper 97 examined issues concerning coding of digital materials in Leader/06. There is support for coding for content instead of carrier for digital materials, and agreement that some digital materials should continue to be coded "m" (e.g. executable programs and raw data in numeric or other form). Work will now begin on a MARBI proposal to provide for content coding for digital materials.

LC/NSDP report: R. Reynolds.

  1. LC core records project: LC will soon begin creating records with core-level descriptive and subject elements for car manuals, travel guides, and some annual reports. Other categories of materials may be added.
  2. LC copy cataloging project: A study determined that subject cataloging by CONSER libraries conformed to LC standards and practices, so LC will now use not only descriptive but also subject work of CONSER libraries as its base in copy cataloging. This extension of the copy cataloging project will result in quicker through-put of serials.
  3. Format integration: LC implemented the third phase of FI. Serial computer files are cataloged with computer file as primary format, with a serial 006. A possible redefinition of Leader/06, type-of-record "m" is in the works.
  4. Miscellaneous Serials Division news: Scaling down of the Division continues. CD MARC Serials and New Serials Titles are scheduled to be discontinued.
  5. International Conference on Principles and Future Development of AACR: At its recent meeting at LC, the Joint Steering Committee tentatively scheduled an invitational meeting of 40-50 cataloging experts, to be held September 1997, to consider a wide range of topics. Among these are content vs. carrier, relationship between bibliographic entries including multi-level descriptions; concept of the "work" and the relation of this concept to versions, manifestations, and editions; main entry; entry under corporate body; the concept of publication as it relates to electronic titles, and the concept of seriality. CSSC should contact Brian Schottlaender or Ralph Manning for information.
  6. ILS: LC is preparing an RFP for an integrated library system, and plans to purchase an off-the-shelf product. The RFP should be out by October 1996, with award scheduled for spring 1997.
  7. LC budget: If LC is lucky, its budget this year will be flat.
  8. CONSER-PCC (Program for Cooperative Cataloging) joint meeting: In May, CONSER and PCC held a joint meeting to identify ways the programs might work more closely together. From this meeting came a joint proposal that CONSER become a discrete part of PCC, while still retaining its identity. If adopted, PCC will revise its governance structure to establish a single policy committee with representatives from two operating groups, BIBCO and CONSER. CONSER representatives would be added to three PCC standing committees. An implementation strategy is expected from the November joint meeting. For questions about these plans, contact Jean Hirons.
  9. ISBD-CF: CONSER and LC serials catalogers reviewed this draft standard. Among the comments were suggestions for simplification, the observation that the document needed more serials-related information, etc. There was no agreement about a better or different GMD term to replace "computer file."
  10. CONSER Enhance: CONSER has defined a new level of membership, to extend its membership so more libraries can enrich records. Each CONSER Enhance library will be assigned a mentor to review records; following release to independent work, the library will earn CONSER credit. Details will appear in the summer 1996 update to the CONSER Editing Guide.
  11. Web pages: CONSER has a homepage (http://lcweb.loc.gov/acq/conser) within the LC website; it is still a work in progress.

    NSDP also has a Web presence (http://lcweb.loc.gov/issn). Among its inclusions are a FAQ about ISSNs, the brochure "What's in a Name?", and an interactive ISSN application form, to which a publisher can attach a file or give a URL. Data from the publisher's application form can be converted to a skeleton USMARC record, with URLs converted right into the 856 field.

  12. NSDP prepublication records: Plans are underway to open NSDP prepublication records to CONSER members. CONSER members will be able to update the records, and NSDP will distribute them. Such records will not look fully authenticated, however, and NSDP will not have confirmed the ISSN. If a CONSER library encounters a serious problem with a record or ISSN, the library will contact NSDP and not update the record.

Discussion topic: CONSER Task Force proposal for cataloging conference proceedings: R. Reynolds, Jean Hirons, facilitators.

Summary of discussion.
R. Reynolds turned the discussion over to Jean Hirons, Library of Congress. Hirons stated that the Task Force's draft revision for LCRI 12.0A was intended to reduce recataloging of conference proceedings, allow for some serial and some monographic treatment, and provide improved access points for users. She identified key provisions of the draft LCRI. For example, the "rule of three" is no longer present: to avoid unnecessary recataloging, a conference may be considered ongoing when identified as "first annual," etc. The criteria for monographic treatment specify unique, significant titles (as opposed to conference "theme" titles); the RI attempts to pull out publications with citable aspects that would not be retrieved if the publication were treated as a serial. A 580 linking note may indicate cataloging treatment change; preference is not to recatalog when treatment changes. ISSN services want ISSNs for conference publications; thus, the NSDP and CONSER databases may be discrepant.

R. Reynolds asked the audience about current practice with regard to cataloging conference proceedings. Some libraries treat all proceedings as monographs, to accommodate citations used by patrons and to enter TOC data. Most treat conference proceedings as serials, if the name of the conference does not change. Some allow a mix within a single run. Many classify separately cataloged conference proceedings together, with a (pseudo) serials title authority record for the conference. Some provide dual treatment: they check the conference in on a serials record, and put OCLC holdings on monographic records; they may or may not display the serial record.

An audience member asked about J-level records: did LC always use this code, if appropriate, and could LC not label as J some records representing treatment no longer used by LC? Reynolds stated that not to label such records J would be confusing.

Discussion topic: One-record policy for e-serials: R. Reynolds, facilitator.

Summary of discussion.
R. Reynolds introduced this topic, and clarified that any proposal for a one-record policy would only be an option. There is no plan to propose changing LC's practice of creating separate records for different manifestations of a work.

There may be a better long term solution, but for now, systems and rules (and staff) have all been outpaced, creating the need for an immediate solution. The starting proposal is to use a 530 and 856 (along with 006 or 007 as appropriate) to include the e-serial on the print record. Other approaches include 533/856 or an expanded 776. Reynolds asked the audience what approaches they used or favored.

Audience members suggested use of URLs in 7xx linking fields. Then patrons could click on these fields and avoid some of the problems associated with the existence of multiple records for the same title in local OPACs. Reynolds agreed with this approach, but observed that it had not yet been authorized.

An audience member reminded participants that the 856 is really a holdings field, and some systems do permit a link in holdings records, so the 856 method might be successful.

R. Reynolds concluded the discussion by agreeing with an audience member that the lack of a multiple versions solution was "coming home to roost," and stating that in her view URLs in linking fields offered the best solution.

Discussion topic: Format integration: M. Mering, J. Altimus,facilitators.

Summary of discussion.
The facilitators asked if there were problems or issues concerning the recent implementation of Phase 2 of format integration which audience members would like to address. To stimulate discussion, M. Mering presented a summary of problems related to format integration which Crystal Graham identified in a recent presentation at the June 1996 NASIG Conference at the University of New Mexico. These were as follows:

  • With format integration, bibliographic records are more complex.
  • Format specialists must learn new cataloging rules and content designators which previously were not of immediate relevance to their work.
  • The profusion of optional practices impedes shared cataloging.
  • Many local systems are currently unable to accept, display, or index new codes (e.g. 246 subfield a, following subfield i; new 006 field).
  • Format codes may govern OPAC display, and may, for example, trigger display of material type designation, order of record display, and display of current receipts. Obviously, format integration complicates these display issues.
  • Format code generally engages the serials control system.

Audience members observed that prior to format integration, their institutions generally had to ignore either seriality or other format characteristics of some titles. With format integration, this is no longer the case. At many libraries, little impact has been observed. At community colleges, however, format integration has had a significant positive impact: these institutions often collect many audiovisual materials; and now, if the local system accommodates FI, both the serial and special-format characteristics of a title can be described.

Several audience members said that at their institutions, special-format catalogers were sending materials to serials catalogers for their additions. M. Mering observed that format integration had not in general been a "big deal" for serials catalogers. In response to a question from Carroll Davis about format integration's effect on the RLIN Serials file, J. Altimus said that the major impact was that the LC distributed file of serials records is now split into the appropriate primary format file (Maps, Scores, etc.). R. Reynolds mentioned that LC distributes all bibliographic records with an "s" (in Bib Lvl or 006) as serials.

Discussion topics at next CSSC meeting: Norma Fair.

N. Fair noted that serials cataloging problems with electronic journals was scheduled as discussion topic for the Committee's next meeting. M. Mering suggested that the Committee might present some tips for cataloging electronic serials, just as it had done previously for cataloging serials according to AACR2; and N. Fair suggested audience members propose specific titles for consideration. Interested parties may bring examples, or may post titles and nature of the problem on Autocat or Serialst, prior to the Midwinter Conference.

N. Fair thanked participants for their usual lively and thought-provoking comments, and adjourned the meeting.

NOTE: Some members of the audience stated and some did not state their names prior to speaking at this session; in some cases, the secretary/intern did not catch the names of audience-speakers. Names she heard and recorded are included in these minutes.

More...
ALCTS Metadata Interest Group

Discussion Metadata Interest Group Meeting at ALA

by Kristin Martin on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 02:59 pm

The ALCTS Metadata Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 27, 8–10am at the Washington Convention Center, Room 202A, for a program.

Featured speakers include:

The ALCTS Metadata Interest Group will meet on Sunday, June 27, 8–10am at the Washington Convention Center, Room 202A, for a program.

Featured speakers include:

  • Rebecca Guenther, Library of Congress, will discuss id.loc.gov, a service that enables both humans and machines to programmatically access authority data at the Library of Congress. This service is influenced by -- and implements -- the Linked Data movement's approach of exposing and inter-connecting data on the Web via dereferenceable URIs.
  • Medha Devare, Cornell University, and Sara Russell-Gonzalez, University of Florida, will discuss VIVO, a research focused discovery tool. The VIVO project will pilot the development of a common, but locally modifiable core ontology and integration with institutional and external information sources. The VIVO application is an open source Java application built on W3C Semantic Web standards, including RDF, OWL, and SPARQL.

MIG will hold its business meeting following the informal presentations (9:15–10am).

We will also be electing a new Vice-Chair/Chair Elect, program officer, secretary, and publications officers. If you are interested in running for any of these positions, please send your name and a short bio to Brad Eden at eden@library.ucsb.edu

 

More...
ALCTS CaMMS Executive Committee (Cataloging and Metadata Management Section)

Online Doc CCS RDA Task Forces

by Tony Olson on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 02:29 pm

Below are the names  and charges of CCS's RDA task forces:

Below are the names  and charges of CCS's RDA task forces:

RDA Planning and Training Task Force

Charge: To coordinate the development of learning modules (e.g., workshops and webinars) that support libraries' plans for the implementation of RDA: Resource Description and Access in the United States. The Task Force will develop an integrated timetable for the above activities, identify persons or organizations that will take the lead for each activity, and provide coordination as necessary through CCS/ALCTS in collaboration with LC, PCC, OCLC, and other appropriate bodies. It is understood that timelines will be subject to change. The learning modules should reflect the lessons learned from the RDA testing program spearheaded by LC, NAL, NLM and leading US libraries. The Task Force should also prepare or gather documentation and resources that explain the costs and benefits of implementing RDA and coordinate with groups researching the financial impact.

RDA Update Programs Task Force

Organize RDA update forums and programming at each ALA Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference from 2010 through one year after the implementation of Resource Description and Access in the United States library community.

More...
ALCTS PARS (Preservation and Reformatting Section)

Discussion PARS Member Needs Survey

by Karen Kiorpes on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 01:16 pm

Dear ALCTS/PARS Member:

As a member of the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, Preservation and Reformatting Section (ALCTS/PARS) you are being invited to participate in a study to collect details regarding emerging issues facing preservation librarians, and the resources, strategies and actions needed to address these issues via our key national professional organization.

Dear ALCTS/PARS Member:

As a member of the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, Preservation and Reformatting Section (ALCTS/PARS) you are being invited to participate in a study to collect details regarding emerging issues facing preservation librarians, and the resources, strategies and actions needed to address these issues via our key national professional organization.

PARS want to ensure that our work and strategic direction are aligned not only with member needs but serve to advance the preservation/conservation profession overall. The objective of this study is to evaluate what we do and determine what changes are needed to ensure that our work is aligned to changes in the profession.

Completion is expected to take between 5 and 20 minutes. Your input will provide more information about the role of the PARS and its effectiveness in serving member needs. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this study do not hesitate to contact me at kebrown@uamail.albany.edu. Kindly complete our survey before June 11, 2010.

Here is the survey link:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/573ZFSJ

Respectfully, Karen E.K. Brown - PARS Chair, 2009/2010

More...
ALCTS

Discussion ALCTS/PARS Needs Survey - REMINDER

by Karen Kiorpes on Tue, May 25, 2010 at 01:15 pm

Dear ALCTS/PARS Member:

As a member of the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, Preservation and Reformatting Section (ALCTS/PARS) you are being invited to participate in a study to collect details regarding emerging issues facing preservation librarians, and the resources, strategies and actions needed to address these issues via our key national professional organization.

Dear ALCTS/PARS Member:

As a member of the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services, Preservation and Reformatting Section (ALCTS/PARS) you are being invited to participate in a study to collect details regarding emerging issues facing preservation librarians, and the resources, strategies and actions needed to address these issues via our key national professional organization.

PARS want to ensure that our work and strategic direction are aligned not only with member needs but serve to advance the preservation/conservation profession overall. The objective of this study is to evaluate what we do and determine what changes are needed to ensure that our work is aligned to changes in the profession.

Completion is expected to take between 5 and 20 minutes. Your input will provide more information about the role of the PARS and its effectiveness in serving member needs. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this study do not hesitate to contact me at kebrown@uamail.albany.edu. Kindly complete our survey before June 11, 2010.

Here is the survey link:  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/573ZFSJ

Respectfully, Karen E.K. Brown - PARS Chair, 2009/2010

More...

Pages