Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
Instruction Section Archive

File 20170418_teach_ftlholmannounce

by Erin Rinto on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 07:04 pm

PDF File, 280 KB

Instruction Section Archive

File 20170418_teach_ftlholm

by Erin Rinto on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 07:04 pm

PDF File, 791.54 KB

ACRL IS (Instruction Section)

Event ACRL Instruction Section Teaching Methods Committee April Virtual Meeting

by Amanda Izenstark on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 03:24 pm

ACRL Instruction Section
Teaching Methods Committee
Virtual Meeting
Friday, April 28, 2017
1pm-2pm Eastern
https://rhody.webex.com/rhody/j.php?MTID=m38810ce6617a71b543f2042697dd0d70

AGENDA

ACRL Instruction Section
Teaching Methods Committee
Virtual Meeting
Friday, April 28, 2017
1pm-2pm Eastern
https://rhody.webex.com/rhody/j.php?MTID=m38810ce6617a71b543f2042697dd0d70

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and Introductions
  2. Additions to the Agenda
  3. Announcements
  4. Announcements from Exec 
  5. Reports from Subcommittees
    1. Featured Teaching Librarian
    2. Selected Resources
    3. Web Maintenance
  6. Virtual Event Debriefing
    1. Logistics Review
    2. Session Review
    3. Assessment Update
  7. Personal Announcements
  8. Adjourn

If you wish to attend the meeting as a non-member guest, please contact the Chair in advance for details: Amanda Izenstark amanda@uri.edu

More...
Conference Accessibility Task Force

Discussion CATF Training Feedback Forum

by Lily Sacharow on Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 07:38 am

This forum is open as part of a feedback process for ALA's Conference Accessibility Task Force (CATF).

To help prepare for writing recommendations to ALA Council, the CATF Training Subcommittee has requested feedback from several ALA leadership bodies on a draft of a "Master Training Document," attached here. 

This forum is open as part of a feedback process for ALA's Conference Accessibility Task Force (CATF).

To help prepare for writing recommendations to ALA Council, the CATF Training Subcommittee has requested feedback from several ALA leadership bodies on a draft of a "Master Training Document," attached here. 

This document highlights compiled information about four designated training subgroups: ALA Permanent Staff, ALA Division and Round Table Leadership, Conference Presenters, and General Membership. We hope to fill in any gaps with the help of those in-the-know. 

The subcommittee would like to request feedback no later than Friday, April 28, either through this forum or by emailing Lily directly: Lsacharow AT outlook DOT com. 

Many thanks to all who assist in this endeavor.

Lily Sacharow, Training Subcommittee Chair 

More...
GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2017 March Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

by Paul Kelly on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 01:06 pm

2017 March Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, March 15th, 3:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2017 March Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, March 15th, 3:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order 

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
3
:06 (5m)

Minutes: Called to order at 3 PM with participants: Jennifer Maguire-Wright, Lucas McKeever, Matt Ciszek, Ana Elisa de Campos Salles, Deb Sica, Sherry Machones, Elizabeth DeCoster, Ann Symons (3:29), Joel Nichols (3:13), and Peter Coyl.

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the March 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the February 2017 Executive Board meeting. (Link: 2017FebruaryExecutiveBoardMeetingAgendaAndMinutes.docx

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:Yes Matt Ciszek moved to approve, seconded by Ana Elisa de Campos Salles with the following corrections: Erin Berman should be listed in         attendance as a guest; David Isaak and Joel Nichols were in attendance. The Treasurer’s report could be clarified about ‘raising dues.’ The RT is not raising dues, but due to an increase in memberships, our dues line shows a rise in income. Passed.
3
:07/3:58 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances. 

3:11 (15m)

Minutes: Liz reported that the RT revenue is ahead of what we budgeted. We have recouped all money from the Stonewall seal order. We are ahead in donations for honoraria. GLBTRT has a $30,979 net balance. 

 

 

4. GLBTRT Planned Giving Update

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Ann has been working on a planned giving memorandum of understanding; the Board will discuss the section regarding GLBTRT’s future responsibilities with regards to the MOA.

Minutes: This was initially tabled due to absence of Ann Symons. When Ann arrived we discussed how we want to change the responsibilities to reflect intent. Ann was asked about her intent. Discussion centered on who we pay for training, advocacy, travel or contract work for example. Ann clarified that travel and speakers should be the RT’s responsibility. Jen asked for specific examples on what would be appropriately funded. Ann suggested graphics, printing, or making pre conference more accessible. Ann will go back and work more with Sheila. Request to put it on the May Agenda.
3
:13/3:35 (10m)

 

5. Updates from Emerging Leaders

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ana Elisa De Campos Salles, Lucas McKeever

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Emerging Leader Lucas McKeever will be calling in to update the Board on the work of the EL class of 2017.
3
:14 (10m)

Minutes: Lucas reported that the ALA Archive is willing to house and digitize materials at no cost. They will be platform and host. RT can prioritize digitization items. Jen asked if donors can get their items back and Lucas will inquire. Peter suggested that the EL group may be able to digitize items that need to be returned. EL group have worked on letter to request from RT members, and tracking of correspondence and items. ALA Archivist needs plenty of time to digitize, so we should start now. Jen asked about outreach to other archives that pertain to items about GLBTRT. Ana will take names of contacts of who to contact for GLBTRT donations. Joel suggested looking through old RT Board rosters for names. Board will reimburse travel costs to the ALA Archive for Lucas. Ann asked about who should get sent the materials ALA or Lucas. Lucas says they should send items to the Archive. Jen asked that there be a special note on the Archive mailings to distinguish that they go for this project. 

 

 

6. Stonewall Winner Book Talk Proposal
Action: Discussion and Vote
Item Facilitators: Ann Symons

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Nicholas Brown from Library of Congress contacted Ann about having Stonewall award winners participating in book talks and signings at Library of Congress. The Board will discuss.

3:45 (10m)

Minutes: Consensus was that Library of Congress can use the Stonewall Award winners and GLBTRT name, but we cannot assist with funding. Ana spoke highly of Nick and his work there. Ann will follow up with Nick. Conversation arose in regards to Disney and another publisher offering light catering for the Stonewall program at ALA Annual. 

 

7. GLBTRT Social Media Policy

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Matt Ciszek

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will resume discussion of the latest draft social media policy, attached here: GLBTRT Social Media Guidelines - Edited.docx

3:48 (10m)

Minutes: Matt briefed the Board about the issue with news committee. The issue arose with the ‘Name you should know’ which delat with highlighting authors. An author thought they had been interviewed and the author got offended. Matt felt that the news committee handled it well. The news committee apologized, took down the articles, and discontinued series. The final draft of the RT Social Media Policy will be presented at the next meeting. Please send comments to Matt within the next few weeks. Ann requested that the news look more visually attractive. Discussion centered around delivery methods of the news because RT Board members reported seeing different things. Ann will send out her example. 

 

8. Questions

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: Due to Board members arriving late, some questions were asked about previous issues.

3:58

Minutes: Ann requested that in the February Minutes, the Treasurer’s report could be clarified about ‘raising dues.’ The RT is not raising dues, but due to an increase in memberships, our dues line shows a rise in income. There was no objection from the Board.

 

There was a clarification that the RT is offering free GLBTRT membership to current emerging leader GLBTRT group. With that, Ann asked about the statistics on Spectrum student option for free GLBTRT membership. Ana will reach out to find out from this year. 

 

The Board is impressed by the great discussion online about the GLBTRT name change. The RT will bring this to membership at Annual. Google sheet tracker will be a big help, thanks to David. Discussion was had about ways to gauge responses at Annual. Joel suggests doing a sticker vote.

 

Divisional GLBTRT Socials: ACRL not doing a social; PLA planning a social.

Ann suggested surveying the members of the organizations to see if they want one. Jen and Joel are local for PLA and may be able to help.

 

Google framework was requested to be on next agenda with David as facilitator.

 

Peter reported on the programing for Annual is submitted and suggests that we get ideas ready for Midwinter. Submission time will be sooner because of the Conference Remodel. 

 

GLBTRT Board Meeting time- Paul cannot meet at this time. Propose we go back to later time on next meeting, and see if we can change it after that meeting. Joel suggest changing the day of the week for the future, to be discussed at Annual. Deb will send out an update. 

 

9. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

4:15 (end)

More...
ACRL ULS Academic Outreach Committee

Discussion AOC Online Roundtable Discussion - Collaborating with Campus Partners on Outreach Acitivities

by Kerry Creelman on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:48 pm

The ULS Academic Outreach Committee offers a series of Online Roundtable Discussions on topics related to Academic Outreach endeavours.  

The ULS Academic Outreach Committee offers a series of Online Roundtable Discussions on topics related to Academic Outreach endeavours.  


April’s Topic:
Collaborating with Campus Partners on Outreach Activities

This month’s discussion will focus on collaborating with campus units on outreach activities. We will talk about establishing partnerships on campus, what types of services, programming, and promotion come out of these relationships, as well as the benefits and challenges of collaborating with units outside of the library. Come prepared to talk about what you’re doing, share ideas, successes, and lessons learned. Join us for a lively discussion and leave with great ideas to bring back to your library!

 

Each discussion will last 1 hour and be limited to 9 participants and 1 facilitator (like a face-to-face roundtable discussion).


All discussions will be hosted on Google Hangouts on Air/YouTube Live. The sessions will be recorded and posted to the
ACRL ULS Academic Outreach Committee YouTube Channel.


Sign up for one of the following dates and times
:

Tuesday, April 25           10am PST / 11am MST / 12pm CST / 1pm EST/ Register

Wednesday, April 26      11am PST / 12pm MST / 1pm CST / 2pm EST/ Register

Thursday, April 27          12pm PST / 1pm MST / 2pm CST / 3pm EST/ Register


*You will need a valid Gmail/Google account to participate. Confirmation details and instructions for accessing the discussion will be sent to participants by email.


Discussions are limited in numbers to encourage active discussion from all participants, varying in expertise. Participants must have a microphone in order to participate. Those interested in observing the discussion are encouraged to review the recordings on our
YouTube Channel.


Instructions for accessing the discussion in Google Hangouts on Air will be sent to participants by email.


Questions?  Please email
ULS.AOC@gmail.com


Best,

ULS Academic Outreach Committee

More...
Awards Task Force

Discussion April 14 meeting minutes

by Penny Beile on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Please find attached.

ALCTS New Members Interest Group

Discussion REMINDER: Twitter Chat on Job Hunting and Interviews

by Zachary Stein on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:49 am

*Apologies for cross posting*

 

ALCTS New Member Interest Group April Twitter Chat

 

*Apologies for cross posting*

 

ALCTS New Member Interest Group April Twitter Chat

 

The end of the semester is approaching fast! Congratulations to all the incoming MLS graduates! Are you busy looking for a job or anxious about future job interviews? Rest assured, ANMIG Chat is here to help you. On April 21st at 3 PM EST, we will an expert join us on Twitter to chat about job hunting and interviews. She is Robin O'Hanlon, Public Services Manager from Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

 

If you would like to send us questions on the topic beforehand, please submit them to the moderators by Twitter or email: Casey Ann Mitchell(@metadatacam or cmitchell@oscars.org) and Zack Stein (@zstamp_ or zackgstein89@gmail.com). We will ask the questions during the chat. ANMIG twitter chats will follow a similar format to other library chats (e.g. #libchat). Moderators will tweet out questions starting with Q [number of question] (e.g. Q1, Q2, and Q3). Followers will tweet back the answers using A [Number of Question] (e.g. A1, A2, and A3). Make sure to use #ANMIGchat in all of your tweets!

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Web and Database Development Librarian, NC LIVE, North Carolina

by Samantha Yanity (staff) on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:25 am

 Web and Database Development Librarian 

NC LIVE- North Carolina 

Job Reference: 00102025

APPLY: https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/EHRA/nc-live-wddl

 Web and Database Development Librarian 

NC LIVE- North Carolina 

Job Reference: 00102025

APPLY: https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/EHRA/nc-live-wddl

With a reputation as North Carolina’s premier partner for statewide library cooperation and shared digital content, NC LIVE provides 200 public and academic libraries with access to an essential and powerful array of core online resources that support education, enhance economic development, and improve the quality of life for every North Carolinian.

NC LIVE delivers shared access to a diverse digital collection that includes full-text article databases, ebooks and audio books, streaming video, demographic and business data, as well as reference materials, language learning tools, and more. In addition, the staff of seven provides authentication, discovery, and support services to member libraries in order to maximize use and return on investment in digital content.

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

NC LIVE is seeking a Web and Database Development Librarian to lead the design and management of the technologies that support a renowned statewide library consortium.  The Web and Database Development Librarian will be responsible for all technical aspects of NC LIVE’s web presence, systems integration, and the services that support its digital collections.  Your time will be allocated between systems architecting, ongoing maintenance of existing services, and software development to support new initiatives.  You will have the opportunity to collaborate with member librarians and developers to integrate their local tools and services with NC LIVE’s technologies.

The Web and Database Development Librarian will also work with an external vendor to ensure the robustness and reliability of NC LIVE’s hosted infrastructure; monitor and assist in the resolution of technical issues related to NC LIVE content and services and serve as liaison to one Advisory Committee.

 

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  • ALA-accredited MLIS, MLS or equivalent advanced degree.
  • A proven track-record of innovation.
  • Significant experience designing, developing and supporting web sites using CMSes, HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
  • Experience with open source programming languages, including PHP.
  • Experience working with Unix/Linux environments and troubleshooting Unix-based applications and packages.
  • Database development experience with relational databases such as MySQL.
  • Familiarity with usability testing, website accessibility standards, and analytics.
  • Familiarity with mobile platforms and responsive design.
  • Familiarity with current digital library technologies, standards and best practices.
  • Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
  • Capacity to thrive in an exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
  • Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills.
  • Able to communicate clearly and succinctly both verbally and in reports and presentations.
  • Valid driver license and ability to travel to NC LIVE member libraries across the State.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Familiarity with customer relationship management systems.
  • Familiarity with Drupal CMS.
  • Experience working in or on behalf of libraries.
  • Experience with APIs and/or search engine technologies.

APPLY: https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/EHRA/nc-live-wddl

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Head of Health Science Library Services, University at Buffalo Libraries

by Samantha Yanity (staff) on Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:22 am

Head of Health Science Library Services

University at Buffalo Libraries

Reference: F1700061

APPLY:  https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu

Head of Health Science Library Services

University at Buffalo Libraries

Reference: F1700061

APPLY:  https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu

As the largest academic research library in the State University of New York (SUNY) system, the University at Buffalo Libraries have an extensive online and print collection, including many locally digitized collections covering a wide range of subject areas. There were more than 3.3 million uses of the Libraries’ print and digital collections last year. The 4.2 million volumes of the University Libraries include 767,000 e-books, and the journal holdings include over 162,000 scholarly journal subscriptions. Our holdings also include 6.2 million microforms, more than 43,000 music recordings, and a substantial multimedia collection. The University Libraries are comprised of eight physical facilities, including the Charles B. Sears Law Library and the Music Library. We serve over 3.8 million users per year in our buildings.

POSITION DESCRIPTION:

We seek candidates who demonstrate awareness of trends in scholarly communication, evidence-based healthcare, interprofessional education/practice, and the information needs of clinicians, as well as those candidates who possess the ability to engage a variety of stakeholders. Candidates should be conversant in NIH public access policy compliance issues and similar requirements. The Head of HSLS  will bring creativity to this leadership role and work closely with the AUL for REO to craft a strategic plan and vision for HSLS. The Head will guide and implement twenty-first century information services for the UB health sciences community. The successful candidate will serve as the head of and full member of the HSLS team and will contribute to the research literacy efforts of students, faculty, staff, and key partners of the health science schools and their affiliates.  The Head of HSLS will directly supervise liaisons to all of UB’s health science schools.  The Head of HSLS will advocate for appropriate staffing levels and establish regular continuing education opportunities for current staff.  The successful candidate will communicate actively with fellow professionals through research, publishing, and presentations at local, regional, and national venues.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited program (or equivalent)

  • At least five years of experience working in an academic health science library or library system
  • Three or more years of managerial experience
  • A record of successful leadership and administrative accomplishment
  • Evidence of increasing responsibility in previous positions
  • Extensive knowledge of scholarly resources used within the health sciences and/or related fields
  • Extensive knowledge of the different information needs of the wide array of stakeholders in academic health science communities
  • Proven leadership in implementing program assessment goals, strategies, and measures
  • Strong service orientation and the ability to work effectively with colleagues, teaching faculty, clinicians, and community members in a diverse community
  • Comfortable working in an environment undergoing transformative change
  • Flexibility and the ability to react quickly to the changing needs of a vibrant academic community
  • Excellent analytical and organizational skills
  • Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
  • Demonstrated professional development that includes publications, participation in professional associations and service to the profession, reflecting the capacity to achieve tenure

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Undergraduate or advanced degree in life science or health science field

APPLY:  https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu

More...

Pages