Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Online Doc 3/2/2015 Draft of Orientation Document

by Jill Vassilakos-Long on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 05:49 pm
in GODORT Federal Documents Task Force (Government Documents Round Table)

Hi Shari,

I tried to incorporate your excellent suggestions, except for the myth/response formatting. I tried it, but really didn't like it. I think i took all of your other suggestions. JVL

 

3/2/2015 Draft

Members of Congress take their responsibilities to their constituents seriously. One of those responsibilities is to ensure that federal information is available to people who need it:

Hi Shari,

I tried to incorporate your excellent suggestions, except for the myth/response formatting. I tried it, but really didn't like it. I think i took all of your other suggestions. JVL

 

3/2/2015 Draft

Members of Congress take their responsibilities to their constituents seriously. One of those responsibilities is to ensure that federal information is available to people who need it:

  • Voters, to understand and support needed policies
  • Researchers, to build on federally funded research (without excellent access to past results they would waste resources "re-inventing the wheel")
  • Policy makers, to craft policies that move us forward: avoiding pitfalls and  incorporating successes from policies implemented in the past
  • Historians and commentators, to understand the impetus for past policy decisions
  • Students, to be inspired to become the next generation of our leaders
  • Entrepreneurs, to evaluate business locations, learn best practices, and identify opportunities

Congress established the Federal  Depository Library Program (FDLP)  as one way to meet the obligation to inform constituents.  It gave the Government Publishing Office (GPO) the  responsibility of running the  program and the Joint  Committee on Printing oversight. Libraries in every Congressional district have been designated as FDLP libraries by Congress. Libraries that commit to  housing these government publications appoint at least one librarian to learn the intricacies of government resources to assist the public in finding the information they seek. This partnership between Congress, libraries and the GPO results in one-on-one professional research assistance for local constituents. Leveraging the benefit of federal information resources through this partnership with information professionals at libraries in every congressional district throughout the country is simply brilliant. You can help your constituents by linking to your depository libraries on your district web site. Contact the Superintendent of Documents for more information.

 

You can also help the FDLP provide that service by understanding the complex information environment in which they work. Every aspect of the FDLP, from collecting the information to disseminating it; from providing access to publications to preserving them for future access, has become more complex as information is increasingly made available through the internet. 

 

Federal agencies put publications up on their websites, then take them down, without considering future access.  The Chesapeake Digital Preservation Group survey found a 51% rate of  "link rot" for  dot-gov URLs over 6-year  period. If those publications were sent to GPO, to be included in the FDLP,  professionals would have created standardized metadata so  that they could be more easily discovered by the public and would have preserved an electronic copy so that the publication could be used well  into the future. Print publications are also preserved by the FDLP. When publications are sent to GPO to be printed, GPO rides the print order to create copies to send to selected depositories. Those libraries then take on the task of keeping the publications available to  the public in print or in microform. 

 

Naive people believe that everything can be found through Google. The truth is that Google does not create content, it simply points to information created by others. If they are not put up on internet servers for public access and maintained on internet servers for public access, then they are lost. Google cannot find what isn't there. 

 

Some policymakers believe that public agencies' statistical programs are competing with private publishers, when the truth is that private publishers who offer statistical publications or databases do so by utilizing data that has been gathered by public agencies. They may repackage it in useful ways, but they could never afford to gather it. Federal agency publications are not their competition, they are part of private publishers' supply chain. The statistics gathered by federal agencies are used by researchers and business people across the country. Citizens all want what is best for America. Accurate data is the foundation of making meaningful improvements. 

 

The information world has become more complex: 

  •  “The  simple fact is that no one knows    how much born-digital US Federal  government information has been created  or where it all is.” -- Jim  Jacobs, CRL Leviathan Conference. 

Your local depository library can help your staff in handling constituent information requests!

Bill Olbrich, government information specialist at the St. Louis Public Library was able to help concerned citizens with accurate information from both his state and federal government. He told us:

         

"The police shooting of un-armed Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO, on August 9, 2014, brought information requests explaining the actions of government agencies. While many questions asked about Missouri state legal practices, others queried the role of federal agencies. The United States Government Manual served as the starting point for understanding the Justice Department and the Civil Rights Commission. Their websites expanded that knowledge. The Commission’s website first announced it was streaming the Missouri State Advisory Committee meetings live. Justice Department statistics from Crime in the United States, 2013 and Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, 2013 provided a realization beyond the numbers they gave. Finally, the Census Bureau’s incarceration statistics (1 Black male out of 3 will sit in a cell sometime in their life) drove home the incredible obstacles faced by American young Black males today." 

 

 

David Smith, a librarian at St. Clair County Library in Port Huron, Michigan who helped voters prior to a recent election reported:

  • "During   the last millage election for the library system, I would have several   people come in looking for population data for St. Clair County.  The   Census Bureau web site provided everything they could have asked for and  more.  Some patrons felt comfortable going on the site by themselves,   while others required some instruction to obtain the data they needed.    It was a good feeling being able to educate the voters before they  went  to the polls to cast their ballots.  Most people had never been to  the  web site before, and they were very impressed." 

Members  of Congress can assure that the depository libraries are able to serve  everyone by supporting funding for the "Public Information Programs of  the Superintendent of Documents" in the Government Publishing Office's  appropriations request.

 

 

 

More...

Discussion Best Time to Post on Twitter

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 01:30 pm
in Social Media Working Group (ALA Staff)

If you want an easy way to determine the best time to post to Twitter, check out Tweriod for analysis. For the free version, you can run one report a month. I've attached the @ALAlibrary report I ran today, which interestingly shows that the best time for that account to post is at 2pm (note to the posting Team).

Discussion Does your unit/division have an ALA Connect "Getting Started" document?

by John Jackson on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 01:30 pm
in ALA Website Advisory Committee

Hello WAC,

Does your unit or division have a "Getting Started" document or web page for first-time Connect Users? If so, please share it here in the comments! Liza and Betsy are working on the text for first-time user logins of ALA Connect and are looking for other examples.

Cheers,

John

Online Doc 2015 Midwinter GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda & Minutes

by Melody Townley on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 12:06 pm
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

2015 Midwinter GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

Saturday, January 31, 8:30-11:30 am

Hyatt Regency McCormick - Field/CC 20AB 

2015 Midwinter GLBTRT Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

Saturday, January 31, 8:30-11:30 am

Hyatt Regency McCormick - Field/CC 20AB 

This document holds meeting minutes in spaces at the end of each agenda item.  The minutes for this meeting will be approved at the March board meeting.  Please share agenda/minutes amendments to the board email list.  Non-board members can submit amendments via the board contact form

Attendees: A. Symons, P. Coyl, D. McNeill, A. de Campos Salles, M. Ciszek, R. Hansen, L, Romans, P. Hepburn, I. Abrams, L. Johnston, and M. Townley

Guests: J. Janes, J. LaRue, J. Porcaro, and J. Todaro, J. Winkelstein, M.G. Davies

 

1. Call to Order and Introductions (5 mins)

Action: Members present should introduce themselves.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: n/a

Minutes: The meeting was called to order at 8:30 am.

 

2. Agenda Approval (5 mins)

Action: Approve agenda for the Midwinter 2015 meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Supporting Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/234207

Vote: n/a

Minutes:  The agenda was approved.

 

3. Approval of Previous Board Meeting Minutes (5 mins)

Action: Approve minutes from the December 2014 Executive Board meeting.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Supporting Information: 2014-12 GLBTRT Board Meeting Notes http://connect.ala.org/node/232347   

Vote: n/a

Minutes:  The minutes were approved.

 

3.5. Triangle Publishing Announcement (15 mins)  

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons 

Background Information:  

Vote: N/A 

Minutes: June is National GLBT Book Month. Chases’ Calendar of Events lists ALA as the owner of GLBT Book Month. ALA worked with Triangle Publishing who started GLBT book months about the rights. Triangle Publishing gave their blessings for ALA to own GLBT Book Month. ALA will move forward regarding trademarking GLBT Book Month.  The RT will begin celebration GLBT Book month this June in conjunction with ALA Annual San Francisco.

 

4. Report and Discussion with GLBTRT Councilor/EB Board (15 mins)  

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Peter Hepburn 

Background Information:  ENDA, Memorials. ENDA information: http://connect.ala.org/node/234839 Last minute, ENDA will ??? http://connect.ala.org/node/234840, Executive Board talking points: http://connect.ala.org/node/234841

Vote: N/A 

Minutes:    http://connect.ala.org/node/235511

 

5. Donations and Fundraising Committee (10 mins)

Action: Yes

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Background Information: Should fundraising letters ask specifically for designated gifts? Should special budget lines be made for Advocacy and Emerging Leaders? What should the protocol be when gifts are given but the donor does not care how their donation is used? 

Vote: Yes

Minutes:   A motion was made and passed to designate $1,000 gift from Bill Cohen, to GLBT Book Month. A motion was made and passed to set the Emerging Leaders donations as a restricted fund and a new line item in the budget.  The discussion centered around what should the RT do with undesignated donations as opposed to Stonewall donations which go to the long term investment fund.

 

6. Approval of the FY 16 Budget and Discussion of FY 14 Results (15 minutes)

Action: Approve FY 2016 GLBTRT Budget

Item Facilitator: Dale McNeill

Vote: Yes

Background Information: Fiscal Year 2014 Report: http://connect.ala.org/node/233831, Fiscal Year 2015 Year to Date Report: http://connect.ala.org/node/233832, Proposed Fiscal Year 2016 Budget http://connect.ala.org/node/230077  

Minutes:   In discussing the FY 14 budget results it was noted that the sale of Stonewall Book Award seals varies from year to year and are unpredictable. The proposed budget anticipates a transfer of $1,000 from the long term investment fund to operating budget for the Stonewall Award.  New in the budget is money for programming: $1,000.  There was a motion made and passed to accept the FY 2016 budget.

 

7. 45th Anniversary (15 minutes)

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: N/A

Background Information:  How should this anniversary be celebrated?  

Midwinter – Article in Cognotes – Matt Cisek

JuneOn My Mind in American Libraries, Symons/Freeman

Annual - Cake and LGBT Pavilion at exhibits

Article in Cognotes

Membership Meeting

Social

Minutes: No articles were able to be placed into the Midwinter Cognotes. We will work towards having an article about the RT’s 45th anniversary in the pre-conference Annual Cognotes. Ann and Mack’s On My Mind article will appear in the June issue of American Libraries. Discussion on this topic will continue in the March meeting.

 

8.  History of RT (10 minutes)

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Larry Romans 

Vote: N/A

Background Information:

Minutes:  Board members suggested a number of information sources that Larry can use for this purpose.   Information will also be sought from some of the RT’s longest standing members. Larry will continue to report on this matter.

 

9. Elections – Status of Candidates (5 minutes)

Action: Information/Discussion

Item Facilitator: Roland Hansen 

Vote: N/A

Background Information:  RT ballot to include - Chair-Elect, Treasurer, and Director-at-Large (2)

Minutes: There are current 3 candidates running for the two Director-At-Large. There are currently no candidates running for Treasurer or Chair. Current, seated board members should help actively recruit more potential candidates. There is a link on the RT site to the volunteer form. (http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/involved/form)

 

10. Report from the By-Laws Committee (10 minutes) 

Action: Discussion, Action to put By-Laws Changes on 2015 ballot

Item Facilitator: Shawn Vaillancourt 

Vote: Yes

Background Information: http://connect.ala.org/node/234204

Minutes:  It was moved and seconded to refer the By-Laws draft back to the By-Laws Committee for further work on the “committee section”.

 

11. Rainbow Project – Relationship with SRRT (10 minutes)

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl

Vote: N/A

Background Information:   

  • Proposal - Spring/Action by      Board – Who?
  • Volunteers from Board to work on      this...
  • Take to SRRT at Annual  

Minutes: The Rainbow Project was initially created as a joint SRRT and GLBTRT committee. Motion was made and passed that the RT contact SRRT and request sole responsibility for the Rainbow Project. Councilor Peter Hepburn and member Julie Winkelstein will present this to SRRT’s Action Council. 

 

12.  Annual Conference, San Francisco (20 mins)

Action: Informational

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl

Vote: N/A

Background Information: 

1.  PreConference – Update from the Committee: http://connect.ala.org/node/234205

2.  Programs

3.   GLBT Pavilion

4.   Pride Parade

5.   Social, Harvey Milk Branch Library, Saturday, June 27, 6:30-8:30

6.   Stonewall Program/Celebration Committee; discussion of new format for Stonewall Awards Program.

Minutes: On Friday, 6/26, the preconference, “Rolling Out the Rainbow Carpet” will run from 8:30-12 pm. It will be $75 for RT members and $100 for non-RT members.

On Saturday, 6/27, the executive board meeting will run from 8:30-11 am and will be followed by the membership meeting from 11 am–12 pm. ACRL’s program (RBMS Rare Book and Manuscripts Section)  “Curating Activism in GLBT History”, which GLBTRT is co-sponsoring, will run from 1-2:30 pm. IFRT’s program “The History and Evolving Acceptance of Collecting LGBT Materials in Libraries”, which GLBTRT is co-sponsoring will also run from 1-2:30 pm.  Our program “Transgender Client Services in Libraries” will be 3:30-5 pm. The RT Social is 6:30 to -8:30 pm and will be held at the Harvey Milk Memorial Branch of the San Francisco Public Library.

On Sunday, 6/28, is the Pride parade. Participation in the parade is a ticketed event.  GLBTRT will march with the SFPL. Tickets are $15 each. The Social, normally held on Sunday evening, has been moved to Saturday evening.

On Monday, 6/29, the Stonewall Book Awards will from 10 am-12 pm.

On the convention floor, we will have a GLBT pavilion with signage highlighting GLBT Book Month.

Discussion followed about the Stonewall Book Awards Celebration Planning.A motion was moved and passed to take appropriate steps to dissolve the Celebration committee.  The bylaws state that Dissolution of a standing committee requires a two-thirds majority vote at two consecutive ALA Annual Conferences.

 

13. Blood Drive and Program at MW (5 minutes)

Action: Informational

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl

Vote: N/A

Background Information: Congressman Mike Quigley will also appear at this event in addition to Dr. Magda Houlberg and Dr. Robert Garofalo. This event will be held on Sunday, February 1st from 8:30-10 am at McCormick Place W183c. The actual blood drive will take place on Saturday, January 31st and Sunday, February 1st from 10 am to 4 pm in the Exhibit Hall at the end of the 4800 aisle.

Minutes: Congressman Quigley was not able to attend last minute, so one of his staff participated instead. The blood drive was well publicized with signage around the convention center.

 

14. Advocacy Committee Report (10 minutes)

Action: Informational

Item Facilitator: Julie Winkelstein and Mary Gen Davies, Co-Chairs

Vote: N/A

Background Information:

Minutes: A rough draft of the toolkit was provided. A request was made to add a section for Academic Life, including gender neutral housing on college campuses. There was a request to clarify acronyms by picking one acronym to represent all groups that could be used throughout the toolkit. (For example, “GLBT” would stand in for “GLBTQIAA”.) This ad hoc committee will end at San Francisco.

A motion was made and passed to create a standing Advocacy committee. A formal charge will need to be created. A final draft of the toolkit will be expected in March.

A motion was made and seconded that gender neutral bathrooms should be provided by ALA at all ALA sponsored conferences, including all division conferences. These bathrooms should have clear signage and should not be relegated to the far corners of the convention center.

 

15. Committee Appointments (5 minutes)

Action: Informational

Item Facilitator: Peter Coyl 

Vote: N/A

Background Information:

Minutes:  The report from Symons/Coyl was presented to the board.  http://connect.ala.org/node/235179

 

16. Committee Reports

Action: Informational

Item Facilitator: Committee Liaisons - Reports due for March Meeting in writing

Vote: N/A

Background Information: Program Planning Committee Report: http://connect.ala.org/node/234912

Minutes: The Program Planning Committee report information was conveyed above in the San Francisco update. All other committees are required to have written reports submitted by the March Executive Board meeting.

 

17. Announcements (5 minutes)

Action: Update & Discussion

Item Facilitator: Any

Vote: N/A

Background Information:

Minutes: There will be a small GLBTRT social at the ACRL (Association for College and Research Libraries) conference in Portland, OR on Friday, March 27th

 

18. Adjournment

Action: The meeting will be adjourned.

Item Facilitator: Ann Symons

Vote: N/A

Background Information:

Minutes: The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 am.

More...

Discussion Call for Speakers

by Rameka S. Barnes on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 12:03 pm
in Circulation / Access Services Discussion Group (LLAMA SASS - Systems and Services Section)

FEAST returns to ALA Annual for a 5th year. If you're interested in being a part of the action, now is the time. We are seeking speakers who can give quick and exciting presentations on new, emerging, or future trends in the area of access services.

Here’s the program description:

FEAST returns to ALA Annual for a 5th year. If you're interested in being a part of the action, now is the time. We are seeking speakers who can give quick and exciting presentations on new, emerging, or future trends in the area of access services.

Here’s the program description:

Why choose between presentations when you can come to one FEAST? Future & Emerging Access Services Trends (FEAST) is back for a fifth year, providing multiple speakers and topics in one 60 minute session. Hear practitioners and experts discuss what's new or just around the corner in circulation, shelving, reserves, interlibrary loan, offsite storage and more in short seven minute courses. Fresh and timely. Never frozen. There's always plenty to choose from at the FEAST!

 

FEAST 2015 will take place on Sunday, June 28th – 4:30-5:30(room TBD). If you're coming to San Francisco, have something to share (briefly), and are looking for a venue, then email Paul Sharpe [ sharpep@umsl.edu] with a description of what you’d like to present.

Deadline for submission: March 16, 2015.  Final decisions on accepted speakers will be made by March 30, 2015.

For more information contact Paul Sharpe:  sharpep@umsl.edu or Rameka Barnes:  rbarnes@library.tamu.edu

 

Rameka Barnes

LLAMA SASS Emerging Trends Chair

More...

Discussion Call for Speakers

by Rameka S. Barnes on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:57 am
in LLAMA SASS Conference Program Committee (Systems and Services Section)

FEAST returns to ALA Annual for a 5th year. If you're interested in being a part of the action, now is the time. We are seeking speakers who can give quick and exciting presentations on new, emerging, or future trends in the area of access services.

 Here’s the program description:

FEAST returns to ALA Annual for a 5th year. If you're interested in being a part of the action, now is the time. We are seeking speakers who can give quick and exciting presentations on new, emerging, or future trends in the area of access services.

 Here’s the program description:

Why choose between presentations when you can come to one FEAST? Future & Emerging Access Services Trends (FEAST) is back for a fifth year, providing multiple speakers and topics in one 60 minute session. Hear practitioners and experts discuss what's new or just around the corner in circulation, shelving, reserves, interlibrary loan, offsite storage and more in short seven minute courses. Fresh and timely. Never frozen. There's always plenty to choose from at the FEAST!

FEAST 2015 will take place on Sunday, June 28th – 4:30-5:30(room TBD). If you're coming to San Francisco, have something to share (briefly), and are looking for a venue, then email Paul Sharpe [ sharpep@umsl.edu] with a description of what you’d like to present.

 

Deadline for submission: March 16, 2015.  Final decisions on accepted speakers will be made by March 30, 2015.

 

For more information contact Paul Sharpe:  sharpep@umsl.edu or Rameka Barnes:  rbarnes@library.tamu.edu

 

Rameka Barnes

LLAMA SASS Emerging Trends Chair

More...

Discussion Looking for LITA members to help plan LITA President's Program on UX

by Rachel Vacek on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:53 am
in LITA/ User Experience

Attention all UX fans!

Lou Rosenfeld, Information Architecture and User Experience expert of polar bear book fame, has agreed to be the speaker for my LITA President's Program at ALA Annual in San Francisco, CA.  It's taking place on Sunday, June 28, from 3-4 pm.  Here's more info: http://www.ala.org/lita/conferences/annual/2015

Attention all UX fans!

Lou Rosenfeld, Information Architecture and User Experience expert of polar bear book fame, has agreed to be the speaker for my LITA President's Program at ALA Annual in San Francisco, CA.  It's taking place on Sunday, June 28, from 3-4 pm.  Here's more info: http://www.ala.org/lita/conferences/annual/2015

I need your help!  He's going to be in town for a few days, and for the day of his talk, and potentially for some time after his talk, we need to be sure he's taken care of. There might be opportunities to have a meal with him.  I'd also like to organize some type of activity that engages the LITA membership on the topic of UX leading up to the event.  We'll also need to work closely with the newly formed LITA Communications & Marketing Committee to help advertise.

In short, I'm looking for some volunteers for a 2015 LITA President's Program Planning Team that would like to help me plan the event and his visit - so everyone involved has a good experience (see what I did there?).

I don't think your physical presence is required to help with the planning, but obviously I'll need a few people on site to help with logistics.

If you are interested or have questions, please contact me:  revacek@uh.edu.  I'd like to have the team put together by next week, so you have until Sunday, March 8th to contact me.

Thanks, and feel free to share this info with those you think might be interested.

Rachel Vacek,
LITA President

 

 

More...

Online Doc CALM at ALA Midwinter 2015 Minutes

by Elizabeth Call on Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 09:17 am
in ALA/SAA/AAM Joint Committee

Attached are the minutes for the CALM meeting at ALA Midwinter 2015, January 31, 2015.

Online Doc ACRL Science & Technology Section (STS) Information Literacy committee VIRTUAL Midwinter Meeting MINUTES

by Bonnie Fong on Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 06:09 pm
in ACRL STS Information Literacy Committee (Science and Technology Section)

ACRL STS Information Literacy committee

“2015 Midwinter (Virtual) Meeting” Minutes

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 1pm – 2pm EST

 

In attendance: Bonnie Fong (co-chair), Kathleen Gregory (co-chair), Laksamee Putnam, Eric Snajdr, Dominique Turnbow, Cherie Turner, Brian Young

 

ACRL STS Information Literacy committee

“2015 Midwinter (Virtual) Meeting” Minutes

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 1pm – 2pm EST

 

In attendance: Bonnie Fong (co-chair), Kathleen Gregory (co-chair), Laksamee Putnam, Eric Snajdr, Dominique Turnbow, Cherie Turner, Brian Young

 

Absent: Spencer Davis (excused), Rebecca Miller (excused)

 

Recorder: Laksamee Putnam

 

Agenda

 

1. Approval ofminutes from “2014 Introductory Meeting” on 8/8/2014

·         Minutes approved

2. Announcements

a) ACRL VolunteerForm

·         The form is available! If you are interested in continuing to serve on the STS IL committee, complete the form by February 15th. Some of your terms end in June 2015; others end June 2016. Either way, complete the form to confirm your interest in continuing on the committee.

b)ACRL Framework for Information Literacy in Higher Education

·         The 3rd draft was posted in November 2014; responses were due back in December 2014.

·         Note the Next steps at the bottom:

  • “Early January. Two other ACRL groups are charged to review and provide feedback on near final drafts; these groups are the ACRLInformation Literacy Standards Committeeand the ACRLStandards Committee.

  • January 16, 2015. Task force members expect to submit a final document and recommendations to the ACRL Board for their review and vote at the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Chicago.”

·         There was a brief discussion about what everyone is doing at their workplace. Generally, discussions are being held as each draft comes out and a response on behalf of the library is submitted.

 

3. Chat sub-committee update

  • Reminder that Bonnie is leading the Chat sub-committee and Kathleen is leading the Wiki sub-committee.

  • Kathleen will be the discussion leader for the next chat: January 15, 2015 3PM EST. She will discuss information literacy in the (science) lab, including strategies and challenges of working in a lab. The chat room link is:http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r3iyalk0m2i/

  • We need to brainstorm new chat ideas that are relevant to science and information literacy.

  • There was some discussion about archiving chat content

    • Current LibGuide:http://iue.libguides.com/sts-il-lwchat

    • Should we keep using this?

      • General agreement that the LibGuide format is ok, but wondering if it should stay on IUE servers given the changing makeup of the committee.

      • Maybe investigate moving the content to an ACRL-STS site.

4. Wiki sub-committee update

  • http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/Science_Information_Literacy

  • Originally, the goal was to update the wiki. However, spam on ACRL Wikis caused problems, resulting in all Wikis being locked down.

  • We need a more stable platform, so are trying to find a new platform to migrate to. Possibilities includes LibGuide, WordPress, or SharePoint.

  • Perhaps we should bring both the wiki and the chat together onto a single platform.

5. Sharing of committee member news

  • Bonnie: Giving 2 local presentations – one about campus partnerships to provide support for graduate students; one about creating a library presence for online courses.

  • Laksamee: Running The Big Read Grant this semester in Baltimore. More information is available here:http://libraries.towson.edu/big-read

  • Kathleen: Teaching an information literacy class for library science students in Germany!

  • Brian: Presenting at ACRL about a small internal grant to incentivize liberal arts faculty to transition to OERs

 

6. Adjourn

 

More...

Pages