Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion Notes from Discussion Forum "What Should be the Future of Reference Education for Librarians?" ALA Annual 2015

by Jason Coleman on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 04:44 pm
in RUSA RSS Education & Professional Development for Reference (Reference Services Section)

I have attached the notes I took during the discussion forum "What should be the future of reference education for librarians?" Michelle Holschuh Simmons' slides are online at http://bit.ly/1FHnjzQ

Event SustainRT free webinar

by Madeleine Charney on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 02:35 pm
in Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT)

Join SustainRT for part one of a three-part webinar series

Free, open to all

  • Thursday, July 16th 2015 12:15 - 12:45 (EST) - Register now! 
    • Grab your lunch, get online, grow your knowledge and your network!

      Showcase of selected sustainability library projects from the 2015 ALA Lightning Rounds event

      Updates from SustainRT Project Teams

Join SustainRT for part one of a three-part webinar series

Free, open to all

  • Thursday, July 16th 2015 12:15 - 12:45 (EST) - Register now! 
    • Grab your lunch, get online, grow your knowledge and your network!

      Showcase of selected sustainability library projects from the 2015 ALA Lightning Rounds event

      Updates from SustainRT Project Teams

      Opportunities for participating in SustainRT activities -- virtually and in person

      Collective ideas for strengthening and promoting SustainRT

      Add your thinking and passion to the sustainability movement in the library profession. 

      Become a “curator” of ideas, opportunities, services, and resources that support our communities’ social/economic/environmental resilience and well-being...and have fun too!

      REGISTER HERE

      Save the dates:

  • Thursday October 15th 12:15-12:45 (EST)
     
  • Thursday December 17th12:15-12:45 (EST)
More...

Discussion ALA WAC Annual Meeting Minutes, June 28, 2015 (Draft)

by John Jackson on Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 05:54 pm
in ALA Website Advisory Committee

Colleagues, please review the meeting minutes from Annual posted below. If you approve the minutes, indicate so in the comments. If you recommend changes, detail those in the comments. Special thanks to Jennifer Peters, our incoming intern, for recording and typing these up!

 

Colleagues, please review the meeting minutes from Annual posted below. If you approve the minutes, indicate so in the comments. If you recommend changes, detail those in the comments. Special thanks to Jennifer Peters, our incoming intern, for recording and typing these up!

 

Members Present: John Jackson (chair), Sherri Vanyek (ALA), Jenny Levine (ALA), Erin Rushton (RUSA Rep), Erin Boyd (ALCTS Rep), Simon Healey (Accessibility forum rep), Rob Banks (Executive Board Liaison), and Jennifer Peters (Intern) 

 

1.0 Administrative (10 min)

1.1 Today’s Goals

To update WAC on actions of the Executive Board and the ITTS group. To provide opportunity for members to update committee on web-space-related unit news. Please review our committee's charge (below).

1.2 No amendments to Agenda.

1.3 Review/Approval of May 4 minutes. Quorum was not met; meeting notes were not reviewed or approved.

1.4 Announcements.  Thanks to Simon & Erin for subcommittee work. Thanks to those that provided feedback on Higher Logic demo. Thanks to those who have worked with their groups to solidify the way WAC members are appointed.

 

2.0 Old Business (20 min)

2.1 ALA logo on LUA website. Discussion on if it was better to have logos from divisions or to have the ALA logo. ALA logo to go on other’s work needs to go through legal. Update on this to come from Louise.

2.2 Update on Subcommittee Work

ALA Style guide: Everyone to look at the style guide and then to pass along to Louise in the website committee.

ALA Connect Welcome page: On hold as the ALA Connect transitions to a new platform

Value of WAC: No update

Intro to WAC: No update

 

3.0 Reports from WAC Members and Units (20 min)

LITA- via written update- Selected blog editor and has redone the blog space and updated social media policy & procedures that they are willing to share. New LITA forum website and will work on a UX review of website & LITA Jobs.

ALSC- via written update- Review of professional tools and book lists, 1 updated and 2 archived. Submitted proposal to bylaws committee for choosing a WAC member.

ACRL- Used a WordPress based website for Framework for Information Literacy. New emphasis on data management and data literacy. Encourage members to promote & publish via open access publishers.

ALCTS- Website is run by staff. New Executive Director is on the committee for new website platform. When the migration happens will be up to units.

RUSA- New strategic plan. Formed Website Advisory Task Force this June and now have a webmaster.

ASCLA- New website migrating from sections to interest groups. Work to be done by interest groups, go through sections of the website with archived reports, and pick items that are part of their interest groups and to make recommendations on retention of other areas.

 

4.0 ITTS Report to WAC (30 min) - 2015 Report

Working on new ecommerce system, have completed the discovery phase and are in the design phase.

New responsive design for ALA is to launch early November. Testing is ongoing during Annual. There is hope to implement so that the divisions and roundtables can implement these building blocks.

ALA Connect: Negotiations continue with vendor for modules. Implementation is planned for September of 2016.

Event Scheduler is going away. New system with vendor for all event management.

ALA-related website list: rolled out to all unit managers who were to forward it out through their organization and will send a reminder again after conference. Plans to capture all websites even if not currently on ala.org and provide a list of all ALA related websites and all social media channels.

Persona project: Louise is doing a session on Monday, many different personas developed at this point.

Commendations on the report from the committee to ITTS, thank you for putting it together. Thanks to ALA ITTS for being forward looking on issues of accessibility and universal design in everything that they do.

What can we at WAC help ITTS with?

ITTS will need help testing the new ecommerce interface, testing the many different scenarios with lots of special pricing rules will need to be tested. Ecommerce site should be ready to review in October.

Looking a commenting on the responsive design.

Next year will be a time of major implementations, communication with the membership will be key. WAC can help get the messaging out to the constituents.

New platform could potentially replace listservs, which take up quite a bit of time and resources. This would be at least a year out and possible to roll out with a simple email change to the listservs.

 

5.0 Update from Executive Board Liaison Rob Banks (20 min) - Talking Points

Pre-registration up from Las Vegas. Membership is down from last year. ALA budget is on tract. Council approved a 2% increase for staff and the new strategic plan for ALA. Strategic planning underway in many divisions.

 

6.0 Other New Business?

Potential changes coming down the line for accessibility with US government regulations. Simon will send out more information as it is available.

Discussion of continuing virtual meetings- seen as an improvement in interaction for the group. Discussion of in person attendance at conferences next year and potentially moving the meeting time. 

 

More...

Discussion Work Plan Office Hours

by Allison Payne-IL (staff) on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 01:18 pm
in ACRL Division-level Committee Leaders

Dear ACRL Committee Leaders,

ACRL President Ann Campion Riley will be hosting two sessions of “Office Hours” in our virtual meeting space. If you have a question, would like a bit of informal feedback as you finish your plan with your Board liaison, need a brainstorming partner on a particular issue, or have a best practice to share, please join us! As a reminder, your final draft of the annual work plan is due August 7, and full instructions can be found online.

Dear ACRL Committee Leaders,

ACRL President Ann Campion Riley will be hosting two sessions of “Office Hours” in our virtual meeting space. If you have a question, would like a bit of informal feedback as you finish your plan with your Board liaison, need a brainstorming partner on a particular issue, or have a best practice to share, please join us! As a reminder, your final draft of the annual work plan is due August 7, and full instructions can be found online.

ACRL Work Plan Office Hours-July 17
Start Time:          07/17/2015 11:00 AM central
Duration:             01:00 hour
URL:       http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r6g8gvxp6ht/
Access: Anyone who has the URL for the meeting can enter the room; no registration required.

ACRL Work Plan Office Hours-July 20
Start Time:          07/20/2015 2:00 PM central
Duration:             01:00 hour
URL:       http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r3x4wpqlq9j/
Access: Anyone who has the URL for the meeting can enter the room; no registration required.

If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:

Here are a few tips we’ve discovered:

  • Use Firefox, if possible --  Internet Explorer and Chrome seem to have some issues.
  • Make certain you have an updated version of Flash.
  • You will need a headset for voice (or feel free to type questions as well). If you are using a machine with a built-in microphone, you will need to disable the built-in microphone and enable the microphone on your headset (a USB headset is best).
  • Once you enter Adobe Connect (you will sign in as a guest -- so no log-in is needed), you will need to click on the speaker and microphone icons to activate --  both need to be GREEN.

Best,
Allison Payne
ACRL Program Officer

More...

Event Education Research Libraries Forum

by Christina Cicchetti on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 01:04 pm
in ACRL EBSS (Education and Behavioral Sciences Section)

Event:  Education Research Libraries Forum
Date/Time:  Thursday, July 9, 2-3 PM CDT

Event:  Education Research Libraries Forum
Date/Time:  Thursday, July 9, 2-3 PM CDT

URL: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r5xg3me8r27/
Access:  Anyone with the URL for the meeting can enter the room

Due to feedback from several people who would have been traveling on the day the Forum was originally scheduled, I have rescheduled the Education Research Libraries Forum.  I hope this will make it easier for people to attend!


The meeting of the Education Research Libraries Forum has traditionally been held annually on Friday afternoon at the summer ALA conference.  It does not include a program, but is a discussion that focuses on topics of interest to librarians working with education collections.
This year's Forum will be a virtual meeting shortly after ALA in San Francisco.  If you work in an education research library, we hope that you will join us.  While I will have a list of possible discussion topics to get us started, any participant is free bring up a topic he or she wishes to discuss.  The discussions are always varied, and inevitably interesting, so I hope you will make time to join us.

Please review the following tips designed to provide you with a successful meeting experience:

1.       Adobe Connect has recently updated their software. When you log-in, you may notice a screen asking you to install the add-in. If you click “yes,” the update will install in about 20-30 seconds. You may need to complete the audio setup wizard after installing the add-in.
2.       Use Firefox, if possible -- Internet Explorer and Chrome seem to have some issues.
3.       Make certain you have an updated version of Flash.
4.       Only use PDF or PPT files.
5.       You will need a headset for VoIP. If you are using a machine with a built-in microphone, you will need to disable the built-in microphone and enable the microphone on your headset (a USB headset is best).
6.       Once you enter Adobe Connect (you will sign in as a guest -- so no log-in is needed), you will need to click on the speaker and microphone icons to activate -- both need to be GREEN.
7.       Please allow a few minutes to get in and test your audio, etc. before the start time.
8.       To test audio, click on ‘Meeting’ in upper left corner. Choose the audio set-up wizard. Click through every step, making sure the dropdown is set to your USB headset, and click through to the very last screen. IMPORTANT: You must click all the way through the audio wizard in order to save your selections.
 
********************
If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
·         Test your connection: http://ala.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm  
·         Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect.html  

More...

Online Doc Minutes Landing Page

by Jason Coleman on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 01:02 pm
in RUSA RSS Education & Professional Development for Reference (Reference Services Section)

Use this as a landing page for uploading minutes.  Simply click on the Edit tab, then scroll down to Add File Attachments (below).  We will collect minutes here.

 

Discussion ALA/ EBSS Annual Meeting Notes

by Tiffany Baglier on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 10:38 am
in ACRL EBSS ERIC Users Committee (Education and Behavioral Sciences Section)

ALA/ EBSS Annual Meeting Notes

Date: June 27, 2015

Committee Name: ACRL EBSS ERIC Users Committee

Name of person submitting meeting notes: Tiffany Baglier

Members present: Katherine Farmer (co-chair), Tiffany Baglier (co-chair), Paul Belloni, Todd Shipman, Margaret Brown-Salazar

Members excused: Mary Cassner, Yvonne Roux, Laura Bonella

Guests: Erin Pollard, Pamela Tripp-Melby

Time and place convened: Sunday, June 27, 2015, 8:30 am (EST), in person

Convener: Katherine Farmer


 

ALA/ EBSS Annual Meeting Notes

Date: June 27, 2015

Committee Name: ACRL EBSS ERIC Users Committee

Name of person submitting meeting notes: Tiffany Baglier

Members present: Katherine Farmer (co-chair), Tiffany Baglier (co-chair), Paul Belloni, Todd Shipman, Margaret Brown-Salazar

Members excused: Mary Cassner, Yvonne Roux, Laura Bonella

Guests: Erin Pollard, Pamela Tripp-Melby

Time and place convened: Sunday, June 27, 2015, 8:30 am (EST), in person

Convener: Katherine Farmer


 

Approval of notes from prior meeting

2015 ALA Midwinter Committee Meeting Notes from March 4, 2015 were approved.

Agenda items

I. Welcome & introductions

  • Those who attended the meeting were introduced.
  • Members attending: Katherine Farmer (co-chair), Tiffany Baglier (co-chair), Paul Belloni, Todd Shipman, Margaret Brown-Salazar
  • Guests: Erin Pollard, ERIC Project Manager; Pamela Tripp-Melby, Director of National Education Library

II. Call for additions/ revisions to the agenda

  • No items were added to the agenda.

III. Approval of the minutes

  • Minutes from the Midwinter Meeting were approved.

IV. ERIC Update

  • Updating Selection Policy
    • Have been tweaking selection policy to make it more transparent.
    • ERIC peer-review classification is a bit confusing. They are trying to make it easier and explain ERIC’s classification of “peer-reviewed”. Asking for community feedback. Send input to ERICRequests@ED.gov.
      • Town Hall meeting on September 15th.
  • Thesaurus
    • Working on updating with new terminology used and removing non-relevant terms. Webinar in about two weeks to update on this.
    • Issues with EBSCO’s portal to ERIC is not ERIC’s fault. This is an EBSCO issue.
  • Topic Pages
    • Getting closer to rolling out topic pages written in collaboration with subject experts.
    • Can’t be classified as “peer-reviewed” by ERIC’s definition, but have are going through considerable expert review.
    • Will be user-friendly and roll out in batches.
  • Microfiche Digitization
    • Still working on this, but will not include everything.
    • Returning documents to ERIC slowly, but steadily.
    • Trying to make identifiers more searchable as digitizing documents.
  • IES Submission Requirements for Grants
    • Submission required for grants.
    • ERIC will host peer-reviewed article manuscripts, not the data.
    • Metadata for article will be available immediately, but allows for 12 month embargo period.
    • Data needs to be available 10 years continuously.
    • ERIC will provide a link with the article linking back to the grant information.
  • What Works Clearinghouse
    • ERIC digitizing the spreadsheets into a user friendly format with a link to the study.
    • Hope to have this online within the next year and a half.
  • Citation Exportation

 V. Questions/ comments from the committee

  • Suggested peer-review filter types for assisting with peer-review labels.
  • Suggested ERIC create a “lay man” peer-review you tube video to help explain peer-review definitions and classifications.
  • Requested widget code for ERIC that works with LibGuides.
    • ERIC will look into this and get back to us.

 VI. Future Project

  • ERIC toolkit somewhere on the EBSS website as a resource for education librarians.
    • Links that are ERIC resources with descriptions and You Tube links.
    • Remind everyone about topic pages, common questions, etc.
    • Email will be sent out to members with a link to Google Doc.
      • Topics we need to work on and divide between us.
      • Build the resource in Google Doc and then transfer to web.
      • Will touch base at Midwinter.
      • Erin able to provide consultation and feedback.
  • Updating charge with Chair responsibility for posting news flashes to the EBSS listserv.
    • First of August, Chair posts links to getting on to news flash.
  • All consented to project.

VII. Other business

  • Agreed to meeting before Midwinter to check in with group and flesh out project.
    • Thinking about a November virtual meeting.

Time Adjourned

 June 27, 2015 at 10 am (EST)

Summary

Motions

Meeting minutes approved.

Project approved.

 

Addendum

ERIC Presentation

  • Hosted by ERIC Users Group Committee on Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 1 pm.
  • Erin Pollard (project manager for ERIC) and Pamela Tripp-Melby (Director of National Education Library) presented information on the current projects related to ERIC and Open Access requirement for IES and U.S. Department of Education grants.
  • A shorten version of the presentation was made available on YouTube. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4L4esE2so
  • Attendance:  15 
More...

Pages